Modem has trouble detecting Dial-Tone

Pool Shark

Sep 2, 2004, 5:53:40 PM9/2/04
Here's my problem. Whenever I need to connect to my ISP I have to go
through this routine of clicking on CONNECT then as the modem tries to
dial out clicking on CANCEL. Then I must remove the phone line from
the modem (internal modem by the way) re-insert the phone line into
the modem and then click on CONNECT again and this time around the
modem detects a dial-tone and is able to dial out and connect with my
ISP.

I'm curious as to know why this is the case and if anything can be
done so that I don't need to go through this dreaded ritual of
removing and re-inserting the phone line into the modem everytime I
must connect to my ISP.

Thank you for your help which will be highly appreciated and have a
great day!

Art Jackson

Sep 2, 2004, 11:04:49 PM9/2/04

I suspect that the phone line interface part of the modem has been
damaged by a surge. Check to see if a phone attached to the modem's line
will work before you try to dial out. What you are doing by unplugging
the phone cord, is restoring the line to normal conditions, and then you
dial out before it has time to timeout and remove the dialtone. You
could try un-installing the modem in Control Panel, then reboot and let
it be re-installed. If that doesn't do it, then most likely you will
need to replace the modem. If you recently purchased it, it may still be
under warrenty. One other thing to try, is removing EVERYTHING else off
the phone line. That includes any so-called phone line surge protectors.
Good luck.

--
Art Jackson W4TOY Owensboro, KY USA
Life is God's open book test. In order to pass,