Modem on hold

1 view

Shirley

Aug 1, 2004, 8:29:29 PM8/1/04

I have just installed a USR 5660A 92.V 56K modem. It has the MOH
(modem on hold) software with it. I have a local internet service and
have contacted them and they do support the 92.V service. I have also
had call waiting and caller ID added to my phone service. (This
service is working)
I installed the modem with no trouble and also the software. The
"call notification icon" is on the taskbar and is supposed to pop up
when a call comes in. I have contacted USR and they said I needed to
download the latest driver for the modem and that should settle my
problem. Well, that did not help. I have uninstalled the software
and reinstalled it again and that does not help. I have had a friend
try to call me while I was online and the call notification does not
pop up.
Would anyone have any idea what the problem may be? Any suggestions
would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Shirley
PS I am using a Compaq computer with XP professional

Scott

Aug 3, 2004, 4:16:03 PM8/3/04
I wonder why it's not working, it should be.... Maybe someone else on
here might know why. I have the exact same modem the 5660a usr. My isp
hasn't upgraded to v.90 yet for some reason. I would try looking around
google for an answer or try www.modemsite.com which is a good modem site.
V.92 should work right away I would think if your isp has it, hmm. Sounds
like you installed it just great, and you downloaded the right drivers off
of the usr site like I did. Hopefully someone knows more then me can help
you out :). I know www.modemsite.com has a few V.92 commands that you can
type into the advanced settings of your modem. How to get there it's
(control panel, printers and hardware, phone and modems, phone and modem
options then go the to modems tab pick your modem then hit properties, you
can type in extra commands under the advanced settings and you can go to the
diagnostics tab and click view log) the view log will show you if your isp
is dialing you up at v.92 or v.90 it's kinda a diagnostic tool. Shows you
what your computer and your isp is doing when you dial-up, you'll want to
make sure it's getting the V.92. In the log around the connection
established line, just above it look to see if it says v.92, if it does then
you know it's not a isp problem. I'm not sure if I can help much more, if
it does say v.92 and your still not seeing a phone call coming in then I'm
not sure :( you should email usr maybe or something, sometimes too your isp
has a newsgroup you can post something there and they can help too
sometimes.

Good Luck!!

Scott

Scott

Aug 3, 2004, 4:51:18 PM8/3/04
This is a interesting link also http://www.modemsite.com/56k/usr.asp

about the usr modems

Scott

Aug 3, 2004, 5:03:10 PM8/3/04
I think I found the answer here
http://www.modemsite.com/56k/rockv92.asp

the modems we have are usr but made by this Conexant company I would try
typing that initial string into the place that I said before in my previous
posting, that should enable the your call waiting I think for sure. It says
to type this string into your advanced settings.

+PSS=0;+PCW=0;+PQC=0

or

+PSS=0;+PCW=0;+PQC=0;+PMH=0

Hopefully those work for you :) See if it works.

Scott

Aug 3, 2004, 6:15:55 PM8/3/04
if it doesn't work you might have to leave a space instead of a semi-colon
in the initial string for the usr modems, I know what a headache just it's
the only thing I can find for the V.92 thing :)

Shirley

Aug 4, 2004, 4:05:07 PM8/4/04
"Scott" <trave...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<y8UPc.18588$Jq2.8...@news20.bellglobal.com>...

> if it doesn't work you might have to leave a space instead of a semi-colon
> in the initial string for the usr modems, I know what a headache just it's
> the only thing I can find for the V.92 thing :)

Hi, I have sent you an email about the log. I tried the two strings
you sent with the colons and without the colons and still no luck. I
really appreciate the time you have given to my problem and I hope I
am doing exactly what you asked.

Scott

Aug 4, 2004, 4:27:16 PM8/4/04
I'm sorry I can't help :( You should try posting in comp.dcom.modems
there's more guys that answer and they might figure it out :).

Scott

Aug 4, 2004, 4:48:47 PM8/4/04
Well I tried everything I know, hehe, it makes me wonder if your isp really
does have V.92 because I know my isp is huge and doesn't even have it yet.
Thanks for the log, I took a look at it, it says V.90, but you said you did
try the strings. So until you see that log say V.92 around the bottom of
the log you won't get your call waiting going.

Send: ATDT###-####<cr>

Well it's supposed to try the best connect then work it's way down so I have
no idea on this one. Even the usr guys don't know, huh, well you could try
different drivers, maybe try a conexant generic driver maybe. I was told
that usr does put these software modems out but there really made by
conexant. So really don't know I'm so sorry :( If all that didn't work,
then I would start looking for a V.92 code somewhere on modemsite or I would
try downloading a generic Conexant modem driver. I was looking at some on
there site, I'm not sure which one would work but, just I would try
something like that if all eles fails, if you can, take it back maybe.

Scott

Aug 4, 2004, 5:02:17 PM8/4/04
Yeah very annoying for a computer novice for sure. I tried to make it
as easy as possible for you, step by step, it sounds like more of a usr
problem then your problem. If those strings didn't work you can just take
them out and hit ok, it returns to normal operation. I always hear get a
hardware modem from alot of people but they range from like $50 to $100's
so. Well like I said maybe someone in comp.dcom.modems can help you out.
Oh and yes my speed went up to with this modem, but I tested mine on
www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest and I get the same as my other one old one.
This modem dials up high and works it's way down I think. Yeah V.92 is a
great thing just not even my isp carries it yet and it's huge isp. Well
seeing as though I don't think you want to keep installing your drivers I
would try looking for some command to get it into v.92 somehow or take it
back for another modem company :)

Scott

Aug 4, 2004, 5:15:48 PM8/4/04
I found an interesting link here if you'd like to check it out
http://modemsite.com/56k/v92bug.asp something about a bug on the modem. I
truly am guessing, just I like to get things working properly, I think usr
has some major things to fix on this modem driver.

Shirley

Aug 5, 2004, 7:49:08 AM8/5/04
Thanks for all you help.