Modem Issues

Robert B. Phillips II

Sep 10, 2004, 1:14:47 PM9/10/04
Hello,
I am having a problem with external modems. I have some locations -
separate phone lines, where I am having a hard time getting my
external modems to get a dialtone. On these lines when I connect an
analog landline telephone I get a dialtone just fine but the modems
only intermittently see a dialtone. I was wondering if there were
maybe any differences in the physical specifications between analog
voice phones and external data modems that would explain this? The
teleco keeps telling me the lines are fine and they keep telling me
that the fact I get a dialtone and the fact that I can dial the long
distance number via an analog voice phone means the line is good - the
modems we are having problems with are brand new Motorola Codex 3260
Fast modems so I am not yet willing to accept we have bad modems since
modems that fail work fine consistently on other, known good, lines.
Any ideas?

-Robert