Alternative operating system for iPad mini?

bob prohaska

Feb 4, 2017, 5:58:46 PM2/4/17
I've been offered the gift of a first generation iPad Mini, which is
being replaced because Apple has terminated support.

Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?

A brief web search suggests the answer is, at best, "not yet".

Thanks for reading, and any guidance.

bob prohaska

Davoud

Feb 4, 2017, 6:11:56 PM2/4/17
bob prohaska:
The answer is obviously "no." No brainerå–«f you want to run Android,
get an Android tablet. A free iPad is no bargain if it can't do what
you want it to do.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

nospam

Feb 4, 2017, 6:29:57 PM2/4/17
In article <o75mb5$td6$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> I've been offered the gift of a first generation iPad Mini, which is
> being replaced because Apple has terminated support.

it still works perfectly fine and will run nearly every app out there.

since it can only run up to ios 9, apps that require ios 10 won't work,
but you can likely download the previous ios 9 compatible version.

keep in mind that it's over 4 years old and had support for *much*
longer than an android device of a similar vintage would have had.

> Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
> that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?

no and no.

Lewis

Feb 4, 2017, 8:21:26 PM2/4/17
In message <o75mb5$td6$1...@news.albasani.net> bob prohaska <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> I've been offered the gift of a first generation iPad Mini, which is
> being replaced because Apple has terminated support.

> Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
> that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?

No. But the first Generation iPad mini is still quite capable (more
than any Android tablet, for sure).

--
I never wanted to do this in the first place.

bob prohaska

Feb 4, 2017, 9:44:34 PM2/4/17
Davoud <st...@sky.net> wrote:

> The answer is obviously "no." No brainer?if you want to run Android,
> get an Android tablet. A free iPad is no bargain if it can't do what
> you want it to do.

I merely want to learn a little bit. Nothing special about Android.

Thanks to all for writing!

bob prohaska

Savageduck

Feb 4, 2017, 9:45:42 PM2/4/17
Hell! I still have a 64GB iPad 2 running, and up to date with iOS 9.3.5.
One of these days I really should buy myself a shiny new iPad Pro.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

nospam

Feb 4, 2017, 9:47:48 PM2/4/17
In article <o763ii$18h$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> I merely want to learn a little bit.

then start using it and start learning.

it's 4+ years old so it won't be particularly fast compared to a new
ipad, but other than that, it's quite capable.

nospam

Feb 4, 2017, 9:47:49 PM2/4/17
In article <2017020418453669627-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom>,

> >> I've been offered the gift of a first generation iPad Mini, which is
> >> being replaced because Apple has terminated support.
> >
> >> Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
> >> that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?
> >
> > No. But the first Generation iPad mini is still quite capable (more
> > than any Android tablet, for sure).
>
> Hell! I still have a 64GB iPad 2 running, and up to date with iOS 9.3.5.

a 1st mini is essentially an ipad 2.

> One of these days I really should buy myself a shiny new iPad Pro.

it's probably wise to wait a month or two.

Jolly Roger

Feb 4, 2017, 10:32:19 PM2/4/17
We still use our original iPad 1 in the living room. : )

JR

W. Wesley Groleau

Feb 5, 2017, 10:35:21 AM2/5/17
On 2/4/17 11:58 PM, bob prohaska wrote:
> Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
> that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?

No. But you could jailbreak and tamper with the O.S. quite a bit.
If you're extremely clever (and brave), you might figure out a way
to install a whole O.S. Probably take about ten tries to find one that
actually works. Unfortunately, after the first failure, the second may
not be possible.

--
Wes Groleau

nospam

Feb 5, 2017, 11:20:20 AM2/5/17
In article <o77gkf$l7k$3...@dont-email.me>, W. Wesley Groleau
not even close to correct.

everything is codesigned, so it's basically impossible to install
something else.

nor is there any need, since ios works quite well.

Your Name

Feb 5, 2017, 3:34:46 PM2/5/17
In article <o77gkf$l7k$3...@dont-email.me>, W. Wesley Groleau
<Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
You'd also need drivers for the iPad's hardware ... much of which won't
be available for any other OS.

The "best" approach would probably be to leave it as an iOS tablet and
simply run an emulator to use another OS, but there's not much choice
in those either (possibly a bit more choice if you jailbreak the iPad).

nospam

Feb 5, 2017, 3:36:43 PM2/5/17
In article <060220170936241284%Your...@YourISP.com>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> > > Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
> > > that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?
> >
> > No. But you could jailbreak and tamper with the O.S. quite a bit.
> > If you're extremely clever (and brave), you might figure out a way
> > to install a whole O.S. Probably take about ten tries to find one that
> > actually works. Unfortunately, after the first failure, the second may
> > not be possible.
>
> You'd also need drivers for the iPad's hardware ... much of which won't
> be available for any other OS.

the kernel is open source, so all of that and more is readily available.

the problem is codesigning it.

> The "best" approach would probably be to leave it as an iOS tablet and
> simply run an emulator to use another OS, but there's not much choice
> in those either (possibly a bit more choice if you jailbreak the iPad).

that won't work particularly well, if at all.

Erilar

Feb 5, 2017, 3:39:59 PM2/5/17
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2017-02-05, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On 2017-02-05 01:19:41 +0000, Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> said:

>>> No. But the first Generation iPad mini is still quite capable (more
>>> than any Android tablet, for sure).
>>
>> Hell! I still have a 64GB iPad 2 running, and up to date with iOS 9.3.5.
>> One of these days I really should buy myself a shiny new iPad Pro.
>
> We still use our original iPad 1 in the living room. : )

I have one of the originals, too. I can't give it to anyone because wiping
my ID from it would kill it: there's nothing old enough to download! But it
gives me several hours of reading and older games beyond the new one's
battery life if the power goes out for too long.

--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad

nospam

Feb 5, 2017, 3:42:42 PM2/5/17
In article <o782fk$rbn$1...@dont-email.me>, Erilar
<dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote:

> > We still use our original iPad 1 in the living room. : )
>
> I have one of the originals, too. I can't give it to anyone because wiping
> my ID from it would kill it:

no it won't

> there's nothing old enough to download!

yes there is, although not as much as for later ipads

> But it
> gives me several hours of reading and older games beyond the new one's
> battery life if the power goes out for too long.

that works.

Jolly Roger

Feb 5, 2017, 4:01:32 PM2/5/17
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <o77gkf$l7k$3...@dont-email.me>, W. Wesley Groleau
> <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
>
>>> Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
>>> that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?
>>
>> No. But you could jailbreak and tamper with the O.S. quite a bit.
>> If you're extremely clever (and brave), you might figure out a way
>> to install a whole O.S. Probably take about ten tries to find one that
>> actually works. Unfortunately, after the first failure, the second may
>> not be possible.
>
> not even close to correct.

Well some of it is correct; you can certainly jail break and modify the
operating system.

> everything is codesigned, so it's basically impossible to install
> something else.

Actually jail breaking allows installation of lots of stuff. But you'd have
to be extremely clever to get something other than iOS running on the bare
hardware.

> nor is there any need, since ios works quite well.

Agreed. There are some cases where the only way to do something is to jail
break; but for most everything else, it's just not needed. And there are
serious security implications inherent in jail breaking that must also be
considered.

nospam

Feb 5, 2017, 4:48:08 PM2/5/17
In article <efpi5a...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> >> No. But you could jailbreak and tamper with the O.S. quite a bit.
> >> If you're extremely clever (and brave), you might figure out a way
> >> to install a whole O.S. Probably take about ten tries to find one that
> >> actually works. Unfortunately, after the first failure, the second may
> >> not be possible.
> >
> > not even close to correct.
>
> Well some of it is correct; you can certainly jail break and modify the
> operating system.

true, but i was referring to the replacing the os.

> > everything is codesigned, so it's basically impossible to install
> > something else.
>
> Actually jail breaking allows installation of lots of stuff.

apps yes. a different os, no.

> But you'd have
> to be extremely clever to get something other than iOS running on the bare
> hardware.

more than just clever. someone would have to crack the codesigning keys
or possibly find a boot rom exploit to circumvent the check. while not
totally impossible, it's *extremely* unlikely.

> > nor is there any need, since ios works quite well.
>
> Agreed. There are some cases where the only way to do something is to jail
> break; but for most everything else, it's just not needed. And there are
> serious security implications inherent in jail breaking that must also be
> considered.

yep.

bob prohaska

Feb 5, 2017, 8:33:01 PM2/5/17
Your Name <Your...@yourisp.com> wrote:

> You'd also need drivers for the iPad's hardware ... much of which won't
> be available for any other OS.

Is the iPad different from other tablets? Does it have a serial console?

Thanks very much!

bob prohaska

nospam

Feb 5, 2017, 8:40:52 PM2/5/17
In article <o78joc$kc5$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> Is the iPad different from other tablets?

it's different from android tablets and surface tablets.

there are minor differences between different ipads, such as the cpu,
pencil support, etc.

> Does it have a serial console?

no, but there are apps that display the unix processes running on it.

Your Name

Feb 5, 2017, 11:37:20 PM2/5/17
In article <o78joc$kc5$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
Every tablet is different. Every computer is different. The iPad is a
computer, and just like every other computer it needs specific drivers
for the various bits of hardware it has.

Generic drivers may work for some of the hardware, but at best you're
likely to be missing some functions / abilities.

Frankly it's not worth wasting the time and effort trying to get an
iPad to run Android (nor vice versa).

nospam

Feb 5, 2017, 11:48:08 PM2/5/17
In article <060220171738583760%Your...@YourISP.com>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> Frankly it's not worth wasting the time and effort trying to get an
> iPad to run Android (nor vice versa).

mainly because it's not possible.

Jolly Roger

Feb 6, 2017, 9:56:21 AM2/6/17
On 2017-02-05, Erilar <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Hell! I still have a 64GB iPad 2 running, and up to date with iOS 9.3.5.
>>> One of these days I really should buy myself a shiny new iPad Pro.
>>
>> We still use our original iPad 1 in the living room. : )
>
> I have one of the originals, too. I can't give it to anyone because wiping
> my ID from it would kill it: there's nothing old enough to download!

What the heck are you talking about?

> But it
> gives me several hours of reading and older games beyond the new one's
> battery life if the power goes out for too long.

Mine will remain useful for a long, long time.

W. Wesley Groleau

Feb 6, 2017, 10:53:48 AM2/6/17
On 2/5/17 10:01 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> Agreed. There are some cases where the only way to do something is to jail
> break; but for most everything else, it's just not needed. And there are
> serious security implications inherent in jail breaking that must also be
> considered.

Agreed. But I was addressing the original question "can I install
another O.S.?"

--
Wes Groleau

Jolly Roger

Feb 6, 2017, 11:41:40 AM2/6/17
Not gonna happen.

Erilar

Feb 6, 2017, 4:00:20 PM2/6/17
I was going to give it to someone, but realized that almost every program
she liked on it that I'd downloaded had been upgraded past its capability
to download again.

Erilar

Feb 6, 2017, 4:00:21 PM2/6/17
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2017-02-05, Erilar <dra...@chibardun.netinvalid> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> We still use our original iPad 1 in the living room. : )
>>
>> I have one of the originals, too. I can't give it to anyone because wiping
>> my ID from it would kill it: there's nothing old enough to download!
>
> What the heck are you talking about?
>
>> But it
>> gives me several hours of reading and older games beyond the new one's
>> battery life if the power goes out for too long.
>
> Mine will remain useful for a long, long time.

So will mine, as long as it's registered to me.

bob prohaska

Feb 6, 2017, 8:47:00 PM2/6/17
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <o78joc$kc5$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
> <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>
>> Is the iPad different from other tablets?
>
> it's different from android tablets and surface tablets.

Ok, that's what I needed to understand. I thought perhaps iPads
were based on an at least somewhat standard chipset.

>> Does it have a serial console?
>
> no, but there are apps that display the unix processes running on it.

Without a console it'll be very difficult to gain administrative access.

I'll probably play with the iPad for a while as-is and then recycle it,
unless there's something useful it can do.

Thanks to all for a most informative discussion!

bob prohaska

Jolly Roger

Feb 6, 2017, 9:36:33 PM2/6/17
On 2017-02-07, bob prohaska <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> In article <o78joc$kc5$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
>> <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Is the iPad different from other tablets?
>>
>> it's different from android tablets and surface tablets.
>>
> Ok, that's what I needed to understand. I thought perhaps iPads
> were based on an at least somewhat standard chipset.
>>
>>> Does it have a serial console?
>>
>> no, but there are apps that display the unix processes running on it.
>
> Without a console it'll be very difficult to gain administrative access.

Jail breaking is not hard to do, and gives you root access to the whole
device. Of course jail breaking also opens serious security holes as
well; so you should know the ramifications before you do it.

> I'll probably play with the iPad for a while as-is and then recycle it,
> unless there's something useful it can do.

There's plenty useful it can do, even without jail breaking it.

nospam

Feb 6, 2017, 10:20:27 PM2/6/17
In article <o7b8uk$5ho$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:

> >> Is the iPad different from other tablets?
> >
> > it's different from android tablets and surface tablets.
> >
> Ok, that's what I needed to understand. I thought perhaps iPads
> were based on an at least somewhat standard chipset.

no tablet does.

nearly all are based on arm, but the actual hardware varies.

> >> Does it have a serial console?
> >
> > no, but there are apps that display the unix processes running on it.
>
> Without a console it'll be very difficult to gain administrative access.

why do you think you need admin access?
what problem are you trying to solve?

> I'll probably play with the iPad for a while as-is and then recycle it,
> unless there's something useful it can do.

there's lots of useful things it can do. shitloads, in fact.

Your Name

Feb 6, 2017, 10:29:39 PM2/6/17
<b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <o78joc$kc5$1...@news.albasani.net>, bob prohaska
> > <b...@www.zefox.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Is the iPad different from other tablets?
> >
> > it's different from android tablets and surface tablets.
> >
> Ok, that's what I needed to understand. I thought perhaps iPads
> were based on an at least somewhat standard chipset.

Even Android tablets (and phones and notebook laptops) aren't based on
a standard chipset. That's partly why Android is almost as big a mess
as Windoze - trying to satisfy such a wide variety of devices made by
different manufacturers. iOS "just works" because there's a much
smaller range of devices and all are made by Apple.

> >> Does it have a serial console?
> >
> > no, but there are apps that display the unix processes running on it.
>
> Without a console it'll be very difficult to gain administrative access.
>
> I'll probably play with the iPad for a while as-is and then recycle it,
> unless there's something useful it can do.

It's as good as it was originally ... which is still way better than
most Android tablets, including newer ones.

Ant

Feb 7, 2017, 2:43:03 AM2/7/17
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2017-02-06, W. Wesley Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
> > On 2/5/17 10:01 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> >> Agreed. There are some cases where the only way to do something is to jail
> >> break; but for most everything else, it's just not needed. And there are
> >> serious security implications inherent in jail breaking that must also be
> >> considered.
> >
> > Agreed. But I was addressing the original question "can I install
> > another O.S.?"

> Not gonna happen.

Ditto like other iOS devices (e.g., iPhones and iPods).
--
Quote of the Week: "To the ant, a few drops of dew is a flood." --Iranian
| |o o| |

Your Name

Feb 7, 2017, 2:55:35 PM2/7/17
In article <eYednZxbGKUc5wTF...@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > > Agreed. But I was addressing the original question "can I install
> > > another O.S.?"
> >
> > Not gonna happen.
>
> Ditto like other iOS devices (e.g., iPhones and iPods).

Wrong, as usual for the village idiots Jolly Roger and nospam.

It /can/ be done, you can even have a dual boot iPad, but it
/shouldn't/ be done. It's nothing more than largely an exercise in
futility and pointlessness. It will require jailbreaking and you'll
still end up with a device that doesn't work properly and is even more
flakey than your average Android device.

Just do a simple Google search for "install Android on iPad" (or
iPhone, or iPod Touch, or Apple TV, or even Apple Watch) and you easily
find the instructions.

nospam

Feb 7, 2017, 3:23:19 PM2/7/17
In article <080220170857105043%Your...@YourISP.com>, Your Name
<Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:

> > > Not gonna happen.
> >
> > Ditto like other iOS devices (e.g., iPhones and iPods).
>
> Wrong, as usual for the village idiots Jolly Roger and nospam.

not wrong at all.

> It /can/ be done, you can even have a dual boot iPad, but it
> /shouldn't/ be done.

absolutely wrong.

ios devices will not boot or run anything that's not codesigned and
nobody is going to be able to codesign anything other than the latest
version of ios unless they crack the signing keys, which might take a
trillion years, maybe more.

> It's nothing more than largely an exercise in
> futility and pointlessness. It will require jailbreaking and you'll
> still end up with a device that doesn't work properly and is even more
> flakey than your average Android device.

it won't work at all. end of story.

> Just do a simple Google search for "install Android on iPad" (or
> iPhone, or iPod Touch, or Apple TV, or even Apple Watch) and you easily
> find the instructions.

none that will actually work on any recent hardware, or aren't what
they claim to be.

the original apple tv could run something else (it was actually a
stripped down mac running a stripped down version of os x) but that
hasn't been made for many years.

Jolly Roger

Feb 7, 2017, 5:07:53 PM2/7/17
Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
> In article <eYednZxbGKUc5wTF...@earthlink.com>, Ant
> <ANT...@zimage.com> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> Not gonna happen.
>>
>> Ditto like other iOS devices (e.g., iPhones and iPods).
>
> Wrong, as usual for the village idiots Jolly Roger and nospam.

Insults are the last refuge of the intellectual coward.

> It /can/ be done, you can even have a dual boot iPad,

Nope. You are just plain wrong yet again.

> It's nothing more than largely an exercise in
> futility and pointlessness. It will require jailbreaking

No, jail breaking will not allow you to install Android. You don't seem to
be very informed about the topic at hand.

> and you'll
> still end up with a device that doesn't work properly and is even more
> flakey than your average Android device.

No operating system will perform better than iOS on an iPad.

> Just do a simple Google search for "install Android on iPad" (or
> iPhone, or iPod Touch, or Apple TV, or even Apple Watch) and you easily
> find the instructions.

None of which will result in Android running on an iPad.

Jolly Roger

Feb 7, 2017, 5:07:55 PM2/7/17
And he has the gall to call others "village idiots "...

Lewis

Feb 7, 2017, 6:47:07 PM2/7/17
In message <080220170857105043%Your...@YourISP.com> Your Name <Your...@YourISP.com> wrote:
> [idiotic blather]

Nothing you said in this post is remotely true.

--
RTFM replies are great, but please specify exactly which FM to R

W. Wesley Groleau

Feb 8, 2017, 5:21:23 PM2/8/17
On 2/6/17 5:41 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2017-02-06, W. Wesley Groleau <Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:
>> On 2/5/17 10:01 PM, Jolly Roger wrote:
>>> Agreed. There are some cases where the only way to do something is to jail
>>> break; but for most everything else, it's just not needed. And there are
>>> serious security implications inherent in jail breaking that must also be
>>> considered.
>>
>> Agreed. But I was addressing the original question "can I install
>> another O.S.?"
>
> Not gonna happen.

That's pretty close to what I said.

--
Wes Groleau

W. Wesley Groleau

Feb 8, 2017, 5:22:53 PM2/8/17
On 2/7/17 8:57 PM, Your Name wrote:
> It /can/ be done, you can even have a dual boot iPad, but it
> /shouldn't/ be done. It's nothing more than largely an exercise in
> futility and pointlessness. It will require jailbreaking and you'll
> still end up with a device that doesn't work properly and is even more
> flakey than your average Android device.

It theoretically can be done, but the probability is that some error
will not only make it fail but make it not possible to try again.

--
Wes Groleau

nospam

Feb 8, 2017, 5:55:00 PM2/8/17
In article <o7g5kh$16k$3...@dont-email.me>, W. Wesley Groleau
<Grolea...@FreeShell.org> wrote:

> > It /can/ be done, you can even have a dual boot iPad, but it
> > /shouldn't/ be done. It's nothing more than largely an exercise in
> > futility and pointlessness. It will require jailbreaking and you'll
> > still end up with a device that doesn't work properly and is even more
> > flakey than your average Android device.
>
> It theoretically can be done,

and practically impossible

> but the probability is that some error
> will not only make it fail but make it not possible to try again.

no, the probability is that codesigning will fail, which means it won't
boot at all.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 10, 2017, 10:05:28 AM2/10/17
On Sat, 4 Feb 2017 22:58:45 +0000 (UTC), bob prohaska wrote:

> I've been offered the gift of a first generation iPad Mini, which is
> being replaced because Apple has terminated support.
>
> Are there any open source replacements for Apple's operating system
> that will work on such a machine? Is it possible to run Android?
>
> A brief web search suggests the answer is, at best, "not yet".
>
> Thanks for reading, and any guidance.
>
> bob prohaska

I have received modern iPads as gifts where I almost immediately found the
difference between Android and iOS to be utterly astounding.

Your attitude will depend on what you're trying to do.

If you just want to play, then iOS will work fine.
If you try to do anything out of the box, then iOS will fall flat.

If you just want to be safe and stylish, then iOS will work fine.
If you try to do stuff out of the box, then iOS will fall flat.

You'll soon figure out that using iOS is like asking a 12 year old boy to
fight in a war. The kid can point a gun and fire a bullet, but he can't
effectively do anything that is difficult like outmaneuver the enemy in
clever ways. All the kid can do is what it's told to do (by Apple
Marketing). It can't even, for example, automatically record a phone call,
simply because Apple Marketing limits what iOS can do.

Switching genders, using iOS is like having 12-year old girls in flimsy
skirts, tanktops, and sandals trying to fix the mudslides on the roadways,
instead of men in boots, coveralls, and bulldozers. It can't even move
icons around for heaven's sake. Nor can iOS do the simplest of things (such
as output a list of apps to an editable text file) without the help of
those big brawny men with bulldozers.

To be clear, iOS is pretty, just like the girl in tank tops, but it's not
functional compared to Android. On the other hand, Android isn't pretty,
it's like a chainsaw isn't pretty.

In the end, if you're balanced and intelligent (you'll need both
attributes!), you'll find that there is nothing iOS can do all by its itty
bitty self that Android doesn't already do - while - there is *plenty* that
iOS can't do that Android does all by its itty bitty self.

For dozens of factual proofs, visit this thread:
Is there a single bit of functionality on iOS that isn't already on
Android?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/trNDEOFg-A4%5B76-100%5D

HINT: Plenty will disagree, but they can't supply a *single* fact to
support their disagreement; meanwhile, I've just supplied dozens of facts
supporting the point of view above.

nospam

Feb 10, 2017, 10:14:52 AM2/10/17
In article <o7kkrl$1ja8$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> Your attitude will depend on what you're trying to do.

where 'what you're trying to do' is troll.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 10, 2017, 10:16:07 AM2/10/17
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 15:05:26 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong wrote:

> Switching genders, using iOS is like having 12-year old girls in flimsy
> skirts, tanktops, and sandals trying to fix the mudslides on the roadways,
> instead of men in boots, coveralls, and bulldozers. It can't even move
> icons around for heaven's sake.

Since the iOS people can't ever argue on facts, I will clarify that iOS is
like a 12-year old girl who can "move icons" in ways that Apple Marketing
allows, but who can't move them where she wants them to be in that she
can't put them in a "real" app drawer app, nor can she put them on any grid
(or no grid) whatsoever, nor can she hide any icon you want to hide, nor
can she rename them, etc.

Like a girl in skirt and sandals, iOS is pretty.
It's just not functional compared to Android.

Like a brute on boots and coveralls, Android isn't pretty.
But Android does more out of the box than iOS devices can ever hope to do.

Proof is in the thread I referenced where not a single fact can be brought
up to the contrary by the Apple Apologists.

Jolly Roger

Feb 10, 2017, 11:02:38 AM2/10/17
On 2017-02-10, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 15:05:26 +0000 (UTC), Stijn De Jong wrote:
>
>> Switching genders, using iOS is like having 12-year old girls in flimsy
>> skirts, tanktops, and sandals trying to fix the mudslides on the roadways,
>> instead of men in boots, coveralls, and bulldozers. It can't even move
>> icons around for heaven's sake.
>
> Since the iOS people

Replying to yourself again? I smell a nym change in your near future.
Keep hating, and troll on; it's all you know. : )

Your Name

Feb 10, 2017, 4:09:53 PM2/10/17
In article <o7klfk$1klf$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
Only if you ignore the fact that what you posted was a load of
one-sided meaningless crap from an idiotic troll who as usual doesn't
have a single clue about Apple.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 10, 2017, 4:21:08 PM2/10/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 10:11:07 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> Only if you ignore the fact that what you posted was a load of
> one-sided meaningless crap from an idiotic troll who as usual doesn't
> have a single clue about Apple.

Heh heh ... that's how you respond to verified truthful facts?

Name one thing, just one functionality (not brand names but functionality)
that non-jailbroken Apple iOS devices can do with apps, all by their itty
bitty selves, that similarly non-rooted Android devices don't already do
all by their itty bitty selves?

What's that?
You can't think of a *single* thing iOS does that Android doesn't already
do?

Really?
Yet, anyone who knows anything can name *dozens* of things that Android can
do all by its itty bitty self that iOS can't hope to do.

Want me to list 'em again?

Stijn De Jong

Feb 10, 2017, 4:21:10 PM2/10/17
On 10 Feb 2017 16:02:37 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> Keep hating

Funny that you call verified truthful facts, "hate".

nospam

Feb 10, 2017, 4:42:52 PM2/10/17
In article <o7las0$rts$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> > Only if you ignore the fact that what you posted was a load of
> > one-sided meaningless crap from an idiotic troll who as usual doesn't
> > have a single clue about Apple.
>
> Heh heh ... that's how you respond to verified truthful facts?
>
> Name one thing, just one functionality (not brand names but functionality)
> that non-jailbroken Apple iOS devices can do with apps, all by their itty
> bitty selves, that similarly non-rooted Android devices don't already do
> all by their itty bitty selves?

it's been done many times over and every time you go off on a rant.

the real question is why you troll so hard.

Jolly Roger

Feb 10, 2017, 5:19:38 PM2/10/17
Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
You wouldn't know a fact if it fucked you up tour pitiful trolling ass.
Keep flailing, dimwit.

Jolly Roger

Feb 10, 2017, 5:19:39 PM2/10/17
It's the only way he knows to make himself forget about what a supreme
loser troll he is. ; )

Your Name

Feb 10, 2017, 8:02:21 PM2/10/17
In article <o7las0$rts$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
And another moronic idiot troll joins the killfile. ;-\

Stijn De Jong

Feb 10, 2017, 8:18:28 PM2/10/17
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 16:42:52 -0500, nospam wrote:

> it's been done many times over and every time you go off on a rant.
>
> the real question is why you troll so hard.

heh heh ... classic.

You know iOS is so primitive that it can't do anything near what Android
can do, and yet, you say it's been answered many times.

I've pointed to the thread where it was asked.
You point to nothing.

When I only speak facts, it's funny that you probably actually believe that
iOS isn't so primitive that it's limited.

iOS: It's so limited, it's primitive.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 10, 2017, 8:18:34 PM2/10/17
On 10 Feb 2017 22:19:37 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> You wouldn't know a fact if it fucked you up tour pitiful trolling ass.
> Keep flailing, dimwit.

Heh heh ... that's your response to the fact that there's not a single app
functionality on non jailbroken Apple iOS devices that Android devices
don't do all by their itty bitty selves.

Yet, there are scores of things that Android apps do on Android devices
that Apple iOS devices can't hope to do.

It's not that the Apple iOS devices have bad hardware (because they
actually have modern hardware); it's simply that Apple doesn't allow iOS do
do much of anything that is powerful (such as radio scanning) or modern
(such as the power of user-selected launchers).

iOS: It's just primitive.

nospam

Feb 10, 2017, 8:37:57 PM2/10/17
In article <o7lop2$1hlk$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> Heh heh ... that's your response to the fact that there's not a single app
> functionality on non jailbroken Apple iOS devices that Android devices
> don't do all by their itty bitty selves.

complete bullshit. you've been repeatedly told of numerous things ios
can do that android can't, but the bigger issue is that you can't see
past your hate to learn.

nospam

Feb 10, 2017, 8:37:58 PM2/10/17
In article <o7loov$1hlk$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> You know iOS is so primitive that it can't do anything near what Android
> can do, and yet, you say it's been answered many times.

you can't see past your hate to realize what ios can actually do.

dorayme

Feb 11, 2017, 5:55:16 AM2/11/17
In article <eg6sjp...@mid.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > In article <o7las0$rts$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
> > <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> >... troll ...
>
> ... troll...

You two *love* talking about trolls. You poor schmucks! Nothing better
to do?

--
dorayme

Bernd Fröhlich

Feb 11, 2017, 7:54:10 AM2/11/17
Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> Heh heh ... that's how you respond to verified truthful facts?

Wait... are you actually the Donald?

Savageduck

Feb 11, 2017, 9:17:06 AM2/11/17
If not, they both suffer from delusions of grandeur and detachment from
reality.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 1:13:12 PM2/11/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 06:17:01 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> If not, they both suffer from delusions of grandeur and detachment from
> reality.

You, Savagageduck, shouldn't talk.

When you were asked if there was a single Apple iOS app functionality that
existed that wasn't already on Android, you couldn't come up with anything.

Lamely, you posited a freakin' external camera (of all things!).

What is divorced from reality is your utter inability to comprehend even
the simples of queries, and the illusion of grandeur that you harbor as to
what Apple iOS devices do all by their itty bitty selves.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 1:13:14 PM2/11/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:54:09 +0100, Bernd Fr?hlich wrote:

>> Heh heh ... that's how you respond to verified truthful facts?
>
> Wait... are you actually the Donald?

Since I'm all about facts ...

Name a single fact that I stated in this thread, which isn't true.

Name just one.

What's that?
You can't?

Thought so.

Your sheer fear of the factual truth is astounding.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 1:13:16 PM2/11/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 14:04:03 +1300, Your Name wrote:

> And another moronic idiot troll joins the killfile.

The sheer vitriol in Apple users' fear & hate of the truth is astounding.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 1:13:18 PM2/11/17
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 20:37:57 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> You know iOS is so primitive that it can't do anything near what Android
>> can do, and yet, you say it's been answered many times.
>
> you can't see past your hate to realize what ios can actually do.

I don't hate. You and Jolly Roger and Lewis are the ones with the vitriol.
All I say is the God's honest factual truth.

You equate the factual truth to hate.
Why?
I am not your psychologist.

I'd think it's because you consider anything said that is truthful but bad
about iOS is an attack upon you, personally.

Why you think that, is beyond me.
But it explains your hateful vitriol, none of which I have.

I just state the truth.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 1:13:20 PM2/11/17
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 20:37:57 -0500, nospam wrote:

> complete bullshit. you've been repeatedly told of numerous things ios
> can do that android can't, but the bigger issue is that you can't see
> past your hate to learn.

Heh heh ... the funny thing is that I don't hate iOS nor the iOS users who
decide to use it (half my family loves iOS devices). They are the
non-technical half, so, iOS devices are fantastic for people who just want
to push buttons that the various Marketing teams put there for them.

If they can't do something, they don't worry about it.
Like you, they just give up.

And that's OK.
What's NOT ok is that you can't see for yourself how very limited iOS is
compared to a modern mobile device operating system is. It's not the fault
of the hardware, nor is it, in and of itself, the fault of the operatiing
system itself.

The fault doesn't even lie in the most successful MARKETING organization in
the world, who has decided that, by limiting the functionality of what
Apple iOS devices can do, it makes MORE MONEY.

You can't blame Apple for limiting what the user can do so that they make
more money (e.g., by forcing the user to buy a second computer (often an
Apple computer, ka ching!) and installing hundreds upon hundreds upon
hundreds of megabytes of targeted Apple bloatware (ka ching!) just to do
the simplest of things that Android does all by its itty bitty self.

The fault doesn't even lie in the average iOS users, who certainly know how
vastly limited the Apple iOS devices are (e.g., they just give up all day,
every day).

The only fault is in people like you who can't see your nose in front of
your face. You're utterly blind to reality.

I guess that's OK, but, you've never provided even a *single* bit of
functionality that Apple iOS devices do, all by their itty bitty selves,
that isn't already on Android. Not one.

You know why?

While there's plenty that Android devices do that Apple iOS devices can't
hope to do (e.g., launchers, utilities, scanners, etc.) there's absolutely
nothing that Apple iOS devices can do all by their itty bitty selves that
Android don't already do!

Apple iOS: It's just limited.

What you hate, is that factual truth.

nospam

Feb 11, 2017, 1:31:48 PM2/11/17
In article <o7nk7t$ilm$5...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> You can't blame Apple for limiting what the user can do so that they make
> more money (e.g., by forcing the user to buy a second computer (often an
> Apple computer, ka ching!) and installing hundreds upon hundreds upon
> hundreds of megabytes of targeted Apple bloatware (ka ching!) just to do
> the simplest of things that Android does all by its itty bitty self.

complete nonsense.

apple doesn't force anyone to buy anything.

ios devices work without any other computer and for some people, it's
their *only* computer.

ios devices do *far* more than you think or want to believe, some of
which is not possible at all with android. you just can't see past your
ignorance and hatred to understand it or accept it.

any time anyone points out what can be done on ios, you either fail to
understand or you come up with some bogus excuse why it doesn't count.

Savageduck

Feb 11, 2017, 3:49:17 PM2/11/17
On 2017-02-11 18:13:12 +0000, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> said:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:54:09 +0100, Bernd Fr?hlich wrote:
>
>>> Heh heh ... that's how you respond to verified truthful facts?
>>
>> Wait... are you actually the Donald?
>
> Since I'm all about facts ...
> Name a single fact that I stated in this thread, which isn't true.
>
> Name just one.

Your ever shifting Nym, and your fake, not even munged, email address
with a pseudo location in the Netherlands.

While I also use a "nom de Usenet" it has remained unchanged for years.
There are quite folks in several NGs who know my real name. I am easily
reached via demunged email and I haven't moved from the home West of
Paso Robles I have owned since 1993.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 10:20:11 PM2/11/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:31:48 -0500, nospam wrote:

> ios devices do *far* more than you think or want to believe, some of
> which is not possible at all with android. you just can't see past your
> ignorance and hatred to understand it or accept it.

I don't have any hatred, but I certainly might have ignorance on iOS, which
I have never denied.

For example, I'm sure there is a way, but my wife just asked me how to find
a file on her iOS 7.0.1 iPad she thinks she downloaded in November using
Chrome from an email sent to her of a "book".

Guess what?
We can't find it.

When I press the Chrome browser link, there isn't even a setting for
*where* it puts its downloads.

When I bring up Pages, it doesn't have it.

There's no "downloads" directory.

So where did it go?
Certainly iOS is no help in finding it.

I certainly don't know where she put it.
If it were any other operating system, I'd find it in a second.

iOS is that screwy that she can't even find her own files.
And I clicked buttons for twenty minutes and just gave up (which is what
iOS users do all day, every day).

I practically threw the damn iPad on the ground, it was that frustrating.

So, pray tell:
How does she find the file she's looking for?
She knows it's about navigational sextants and that it's a book.
That's all she knows.
And that the link was sent to her from someone who bought the book.
But that link was sent in November.

She found one potentially related Amazon mail in her Gmail but it has a
cloud sign which an unhappy face (whatever that means).

I admit, I don't even have a clue how to find where iOS downloads stuff
using Chrome. If it were any other os, Chrome would just have a "Downloads"
location. But not iOS.

So, I admit ignorance (and always do when it comes to iOS just working).
Where does iOS download stuff using Chrome?

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 10:35:27 PM2/11/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 12:49:12 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> While I also use a "nom de Usenet" it has remained unchanged for years.
> There are quite folks in several NGs who know my real name. I am easily
> reached via demunged email and I haven't moved from the home West of
> Paso Robles I have owned since 1993.

I have explained my privacy fetish to you many times, and, I've worked with
you many times (e.g., on rec.photo.digital) over the decades, where you're
acknowledged to be very knowledable.

In fact, in the olden days (oh my gosh, maybe twenty years ago, as I recall
anyway), you even helped me and Bill Dees write the FAQ for
alt.binaries.pictures (or something like that).

Since I respect your knowledge, I will again explain that there are
fundamentally two different modus operandi for Usenet nyms.
1. Coffee-shop model
2. FAQ model

In the coffee-shop model, people (like you) participate in very many
threads (perhaps also in very many groups), where the ratio of their
threads is something like 100:1 other people's threads to their threads.

In that coffee-shop model, each post is short, and often devoid of
background detail, as it's a conversation of you and your ten thousand
closest friends over the years.

The opposite of the coffee-shop model is the FAQ model. In the FAQ model, a
question is asked and answered and that's it for the nym (essentially). In
this FAQ model, everything that is necessary to answer the question is
posited in the question. The only header that matters is the subject line.
Nothing else matters because the topic is completely covered in the
question and in the summary response once the answer is found.

What you object to is that many kooks and trolls change nyms, which is only
one aspect of trolling. The other aspect of trolling is that they actually
troll.

The other thing you object to is that many kooks and trolls keep a thread
going forever (which, with the likes of nospam, RodSpeed, JR, Lewis, etc.)
is so easy that it isn't even a challenge.

As you are well aware, I don't troll, and I'm not a kook. I just ask a
question, and when the question is answered, I leave.

What you see as trolling is merely that I courteously respond to all that
bring up a point, but when that response gets to the level of, say, Lewis
or Jolly Roger, then you'll see that I often just smile.

You'll note that I drop a thread when it's time to drop it.
BTW, if I wanted to troll, it would be so easy with the likes of nospam and
JR and Lewis; but all I care about is the answer to the question.

I don't change my stripes.
As such, I am *easy* to spot.
In fact, a

Anyone who can't spot me on sight is an idiot, since my MO is the same
every time (and all my information in the thread is the same every time,
same operating systems, same mobile devices, same needs, same stuff).

What you visualize as trolling is just like arresting everyone in the bank
who has their hands in their pocket, because you simply assume that one
trait of bank robbers makes everyone with hands in their pocket a bank
robber.

Said similarly, everyone wearing a burka (sp?) is a terrorist.
Everyone who voted for Trump is a racist.
Everyone who likes kids is a pedophile.
etc.

It's how you think, not how I act, that forms your incorrect opinions.

Jolly Roger

Feb 11, 2017, 10:41:33 PM2/11/17
On 2017-02-12, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:31:48 -0500, nospam wrote:
>
>> ios devices do *far* more than you think or want to believe, some of
>> which is not possible at all with android. you just can't see past your
>> ignorance and hatred to understand it or accept it.
>
> I don't have any hatred

Denial. Your trolling here shows your true colors. You think you can lie
and everyone will magically be blind; but you're only fooling your own
foolish trollish self. You are completely transparent, dimwit.

> but I certainly might have ignorance [about iOS]

That's blatantly obvious to everyone here, based on your idiotic lies
and misunderstandings about most things iOS. And you'll willfully stay
ignorant, like the idiot you are.

> For example, I'm sure there is a way, but my wife just asked me how to find
> a file on her iOS 7.0.1 iPad she thinks she downloaded in November using
> Chrome from an email sent to her of a "book".
>
> Guess what?
> We can't find it.

"Technology is so hard!" : D

> When I press the Chrome browser link, there isn't even a setting for
> *where* it puts its downloads.

It put it where your wife *told* it to put it, dimwit.

> When I bring up Pages, it doesn't have it.

The fact that you are looking in Pages for a book you downloaded shows
just how fucking ignorant you are about iOS.

Apparently a web search for things like "how to download a book to iOS"
is too complicated for you. Pity for you.

> There's no "downloads" directory.
>
> So where did it goi?

It went where your wife *told* it to put it, since iOS *asks* where to
put it whenever you download an eBook.

> I practically threw the damn iPad on the ground, it was that frustrating.

Next time please do. It's clearly too much machine for your limited
skill level.

> So, pray tell:
> How does she find the file she's looking for?
> She knows it's about navigational sextants and that it's a book.
> That's all she knows.
> And that the link was sent to her from someone who bought the book.
> But that link was sent in November.
>
> She found one potentially related Amazon mail in her Gmail but it has a
> cloud sign which an unhappy face (whatever that means).

If you can't even find a fucking email message, there's little hope for
you finding anything else. Just give up and kill yourself now.

> I admit, I don't even have a clue how to find where iOS downloads stuff

If you'd spend half the time you spend trolling Apple news groups
learning about iOS, you might have a clue. Too bad for you.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 11, 2017, 10:58:25 PM2/11/17
On 12 Feb 2017 03:41:33 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> Denial. Your trolling here shows your true colors. You think you can lie
> and everyone will magically be blind; but you're only fooling your own
> foolish trollish self. You are completely transparent, dimwit.

:)

> That's blatantly obvious to everyone here, based on your idiotic lies
> and misunderstandings about most things iOS. And you'll willfully stay
> ignorant, like the idiot you are.

:)

> "Technology is so hard!" : D

:)

>> When I press the Chrome browser link, there isn't even a setting for
>> *where* it puts its downloads.
>
> It put it where your wife *told* it to put it, dimwit.

:)

>> When I bring up Pages, it doesn't have it.
>
> The fact that you are looking in Pages for a book you downloaded shows
> just how fucking ignorant you are about iOS.

:)

> Apparently a web search for things like "how to download a book to iOS"
> is too complicated for you. Pity for you.

:)

> It went where your wife *told* it to put it, since iOS *asks* where to
> put it whenever you download an eBook.

:)

> If you can't even find a fucking email message, there's little hope for
> you finding anything else. Just give up and kill yourself now.

:)

I was actually hoping you'd know the answer to this, one of the simplest of
questions; but, apparently you don't. Sigh.

nospam

Feb 11, 2017, 11:05:03 PM2/11/17
In article <o7ok94$4d5$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> > ios devices do *far* more than you think or want to believe, some of
> > which is not possible at all with android. you just can't see past your
> > ignorance and hatred to understand it or accept it.
>
> I don't have any hatred,

yes you do, which is why you repeatedly troll about how ios sucks.

> but I certainly might have ignorance on iOS, which
> I have never denied.

yet you insist you're correct, and when told you're wrong, you go off
on a rant.

the only way to not remain ignorant is to stfu and read what people are
trying to explain to you so you can *learn* something.

> For example, I'm sure there is a way, but my wife just asked me how to find
> a file on her iOS 7.0.1 iPad she thinks she downloaded in November using
> Chrome from an email sent to her of a "book".

that would depend on what she did at the time. if she doesn't remember
what she did, then blame her, not ios.

note that some ios browsers have a download manager for those who
regularly download content. i've downloaded numerous files and then
uploaded them to another system (not a mac) over the cellular network
and using industry standard protocols with a couple of taps.

Savageduck

Feb 11, 2017, 11:11:11 PM2/11/17
On 2017-02-12 03:58:22 +0000, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> said:

> I was actually hoping you'd know the answer to this, one of the simplest of
> questions; but, apparently you don't. Sigh.

Try the iBooks app, if you still have it installed. Depending on file
format it might be found there in "Books", or "PDFs".
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8>

If it came from Amazon it might be in Kindle format and you (or your
wife) might have to install the Kindle app for iOS. It works quite well.
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle-read-ebooks-magazines/id302584613?mt=8>
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Jolly Roger

Feb 12, 2017, 12:16:53 AM2/12/17
Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> I was actually hoping you'd know the answer to this

I know the answer dimwit. I download eBooks to my iOS devices regularly and
have zero problems finding my books, unlike you who spends hours bumbling
around before you "just give up" and ask for assistance here. But you don't
deserve my help, useless dumb fuck troll. Spin some more, you willfully
ignorant fool.

> Sigh.

Poor, useless troll.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 1:17:35 PM2/12/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 20:11:06 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> Try the iBooks app, if you still have it installed. Depending on file
> format it might be found there in "Books", or "PDFs".
> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8>

Thanks for the suggestion for finding a lost ebook.

We've been having traffic issues lately, such as these real pics below:
http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg <-- Skyline
http://i.cubeupload.com/VD5wTr.jpg <-- Hwy 17
http://i.cubeupload.com/Q9zsF5.jpg <-- Skyline

So I've been busy with storm-related stuff until now, so I haven't tried to
figure out yet how to use the Spotlight feature in iOS 7.1.1 to find her
missing file:
https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg

But, with your hint of "iBooks" in mind, I went to the "Purchased Apps" tab
in the "App Store" app, and searched purchased apps for "book" and this is
what resulted.
https://i.cubeupload.com/JGBymt.jpg

Note that iBooks isn't currently installed, so I wonder if the book will
magically reappear if I install iBooks? Dunno. I'll try that first.

If that doesn't work, I noticed there are other books under "Readers" that
she had at one point in time (e.g., Bluefire Reader" & "Documents 5").
http://i.cubeupload.com/KvuXRL.jpg

> If it came from Amazon it might be in Kindle format and you (or your
> wife) might have to install the Kindle app for iOS. It works quite well.
> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle-read-ebooks-magazines/id302584613?mt=8>

I will install that Kindle app (it's not currently installed nor was it
ever installed based on a search of her "Purchased Apps".

The problem I'm having is that I don't know the name of the document, nor
the file type. All I know is the topic was celestial navigation as I'm
helping a teacher who is trying to make math real to high school students.

Is there a way to search for ebook format files on an iOS 7.1.1 iPad?

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 1:21:34 PM2/12/17
On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 23:05:02 -0500, nospam wrote:

> note that some ios browsers have a download manager for those who
> regularly download content.

The Chrome she is using on iOS 7.1.1 is version 40.0.2214.73.
When I hit its "Settings" menu, there is no menu for "download directory".
When I hit its "Help" settings, there is no hint of where it downloads.

So, I downloaded an arbitrary PDF file off the net.
The Chrome url became "chrome://external-file/mark15_25.pdf" where
the mark15_25.pdf is the filename of the arbitrary file from
http://www.suomennavigaatioliitto.com/files/manual/mark15_25.pdf

The problem is that she doesn't know the name or format of the file she
downloaded in November, and from what I can tell by looking at her apps,
she doesn't have any "book" apps currently installed.
https://i.cubeupload.com/JGBymt.jpg

There's no way to spit out a list of the apps from the iPad so here is just
a single snapshot (where she and the kids and once in a while I install
stuff on it as it's being used as a multi-user iPad of sorts).
https://i.cubeupload.com/KvuXRL.jpg

It looks like there is a "spotlight search" option in the "settings".
https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg

So I just need to figure out how to do an iOS 7.1.1 spotlight search for
"ebook" and "pdf" format files for the term "navigation" or "sextant".
https://i.cubeupload.com/SFMM7U.jpg

Savageduck

Feb 12, 2017, 2:23:27 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-12 18:17:32 +0000, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> said:

> On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 20:11:06 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
>> Try the iBooks app, if you still have it installed. Depending on file
>> format it might be found there in "Books", or "PDFs".
>> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibooks/id364709193?mt=8>
>
> Thanks for the suggestion for finding a lost ebook.
> We've been having traffic issues lately, such as these real pics below:
> http://i.cubeupload.com/HPg6Xo.jpg <-- Skyline
> http://i.cubeupload.com/VD5wTr.jpg <-- Hwy 17
> http://i.cubeupload.com/Q9zsF5.jpg <-- Skyline

We have had our share of storm related damage and road closures due to
slides, the biggies being on Hwy 41 between Morro Bay and Atascadero,
and on Hwy 1 between Cambria and Big Sur.
<http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/local/sie4oo-Highway-41-00002.JPG/ALTERNATES/LANDSCAPE_1140/Highway%2041%2000002.JPG>
<http://ksby.images.worldnow.com/images/12942163_G.png>

Hwy

1 has multiple slides and cliff side collapses with local and total
"hard closures". ot too many tourist are going to be takig that drive
this spring/summer:
<https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/kiss-the-road-good-bye-until-spring/>
<https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/2017/02/10/and-then-there-is-cow-cliff/>
<https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/2017/02/11/closure-on-highway-moves-north-to-pfeiffer-cyn-bridge-mm-45-52/>
and

the maps:
<https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/big-sur-interactive-highway-maps-with-slide-names-mile-markers/>

So

> I've been busy with storm-related stuff until now, so I haven't tried to
> figure out yet how to use the Spotlight feature in iOS 7.1.1 to find her
> missing file:
> https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg
>
> But, with your hint of "iBooks" in mind, I went to the "Purchased Apps" tab
> in the "App Store" app, and searched purchased apps for "book" and this is
> what resulted.
> https://i.cubeupload.com/JGBymt.jpg

Just click/tap on the "cloud" and iBooks should install. However, you
might be queried as to your Apple App Store ID.

> Note that iBooks isn't currently installed, so I wonder if the book will
> magically reappear if I install iBooks? Dunno. I'll try that first.

Nothing venture nothing gain. If your wife still has access to that
email, tapping on the file should download it, or hold on the file link
to "open in Xapp".

> If that doesn't work, I noticed there are other books under "Readers" that
> she had at one point in time (e.g., Bluefire Reader" & "Documents 5").
> http://i.cubeupload.com/KvuXRL.jpg

What you have there are primarily code scanner/readers and NewsTap
Lite, a UseNet client.

There are alternate ebook readers such as "Marvin" $3.99 for epub books.
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marvin-classic-ebook-reader/id667361209?mt=8>
...and the free "Marvin 3" and "TotalReader".
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/marvin-3-ebook-comic-book/id1086482858?mt=8>
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/totalreader-epub-djvu-mobi/id832489932?mt=8>

There are others.

>> If it came from Amazon it might be in Kindle format and you (or your
>> wife) might have to install the Kindle app for iOS. It works quite well.
>> <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/kindle-read-ebooks-magazines/id302584613?mt=8>
>
> I will install that Kindle app (it's not currently installed nor was it
> ever installed based on a search of her "Purchased Apps".
>
> The problem I'm having is that I don't know the name of the document, nor
> the file type. All I know is the topic was celestial navigation as I'm
> helping a teacher who is trying to make math real to high school students.
>
> Is there a way to search for ebook format files on an iOS 7.1.1 iPad?

Use the search field and enter an appropriate ebook suffix, it should
be found if it exists on that iOS device. Then tap on it to open in a
compatible app.

Bear in mind there are a whole bunch of ebook file types, including,
but not limited to PDF, .Doc, .DOCX, .epub, .pdb, .ibooks, .inf, .azw3,
.azw, .kf8, .lit, .html, .txt, .rtf, etc.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats>

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Savageduck

Feb 12, 2017, 2:32:23 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-12 18:21:30 +0000, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> said:

> So I just need to figure out how to do an iOS 7.1.1 spotlight search for
> "ebook" and "pdf" format files for the term "navigation" or "sextant".
> https://i.cubeupload.com/SFMM7U.jpg

To get your iPad search field, swipe down on any page to get this:
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/Photo%20Feb%2012%2C%2011%2025%2010%20AM.png>
--

Regards,

Savageduck

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 2:52:53 PM2/12/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:23:21 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

>> Note that iBooks isn't currently installed, so I wonder if the book will
>> magically reappear if I install iBooks? Dunno. I'll try that first.
>
> Nothing venture nothing gain. If your wife still has access to that
> email, tapping on the file should download it, or hold on the file link
> to "open in Xapp".

When I tried Kindle (which had never been downloaded), it wouldn't let me
download it because of the iOS version not being 10 or above.

However, when I tried iBooks, it first said I needed iOS 9 or above, but it
then simply asked if I wanted to download the older version. Same with
Overdrive.

Bluefire complained about needing 8.4 or better, but it too allowed the
older version to re-download.

LibriVox complained about needing ios 8.0 or better, but it too allowed the
older version to be re-installed. Same with Documents 5.

None had anything relevant in them even though I told the cloud to sync for
iBooks. The iSearch capability seems to be the last resort.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 3:03:23 PM2/12/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:32:18 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> To get your iPad search field, swipe down on any page to get this:
> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/Photo%20Feb%2012%2C%2011%2025%2010%20AM.png>

That doesn't seem to work on iOS 7.1.1 which shows this on a swipe down.
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZTO3Je.jpg

A swipe up shows even less.
http://i.cubeupload.com/msJSl9.jpg

But spotlight must exist as it shows up in the settings.
https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg

Savageduck

Feb 12, 2017, 3:07:48 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-12 19:52:51 +0000, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> said:

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:23:21 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> Note that iBooks isn't currently installed, so I wonder if the book will
>>> magically reappear if I install iBooks? Dunno. I'll try that first.
>>
>> Nothing venture nothing gain. If your wife still has access to that
>> email, tapping on the file should download it, or hold on the file link
>> to "open in Xapp".
>
> When I tried Kindle (which had never been downloaded), it wouldn't let me
> download it because of the iOS version not being 10 or above.

That sort of thing can happen with many apps where the developer
chooses to no longer support old OS's.

> However, when I tried iBooks, it first said I needed iOS 9 or above, but it
> then simply asked if I wanted to download the older version. Same with
> Overdrive.

Sometimes they will cooperate.

> Bluefire complained about needing 8.4 or better, but it too allowed the
> older version to re-download.
>
> LibriVox complained about needing ios 8.0 or better, but it too allowed the
> older version to be re-installed. Same with Documents 5.
>
> None had anything relevant in them even though I told the cloud to sync for
> iBooks. The iSearch capability seems to be the last resort.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Savageduck

Feb 12, 2017, 3:17:18 PM2/12/17
...er, try a two finger swipe down, not from the top, but from between
the apps in the middle of the page.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

Jolly Roger

Feb 12, 2017, 3:20:33 PM2/12/17
The resident Apple-hating troll who constantly claims to be the smartest
person here can't figure out how to do something as brain-dead simple as
search for shit on iOS. You can't make this shit up, folks! Watching
this ignorant, trollish, foolish dimwit twirl in the wind is fucking
priceless! : D

nospam

Feb 12, 2017, 3:20:42 PM2/12/17
In article <o7qeei$10tj$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> When I tried Kindle (which had never been downloaded), it wouldn't let me
> download it because of the iOS version not being 10 or above.
>
> However, when I tried iBooks, it first said I needed iOS 9 or above, but it
> then simply asked if I wanted to download the older version. Same with
> Overdrive.
>
> Bluefire complained about needing 8.4 or better, but it too allowed the
> older version to re-download.
>
> LibriVox complained about needing ios 8.0 or better, but it too allowed the
> older version to be re-installed. Same with Documents 5.

that's how it's supposed to work.

blame amazon for not offering an older version of their app, a choice
*they* made, not apple.

nospam

Feb 12, 2017, 3:20:44 PM2/12/17
In article <o7qf28$1223$1...@gioia.aioe.org>, Stijn De Jong
<stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> > To get your iPad search field, swipe down on any page to get this:
> >
> > <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/Photo%20Feb%2012%2C%2011%2
> > 025%2010%20AM.png>
>
> That doesn't seem to work on iOS 7.1.1 which shows this on a swipe down.
> http://i.cubeupload.com/ZTO3Je.jpg

swipe down from the *middle* of the screen. if you swipe from the top,
you'll get the notifications panel.

> A swipe up shows even less.
> http://i.cubeupload.com/msJSl9.jpg

that's control center

> But spotlight must exist as it shows up in the settings.
> https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg

it does.

Erilar

Feb 12, 2017, 3:32:59 PM2/12/17
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2017-02-12, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:32:18 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>>
>>> To get your iPad search field, swipe down on any page to get this:
>>> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1295663/Demo/Photo%20Feb%2012%2C%2011%2025%2010%20AM.png>
>>
>> That doesn't seem to work on iOS 7.1.1 which shows this on a swipe down.
>> http://i.cubeupload.com/ZTO3Je.jpg
>>
>> A swipe up shows even less.
>> http://i.cubeupload.com/msJSl9.jpg
>>
>> But spotlight must exist as it shows up in the settings.
>> https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg
>
> The resident Apple-hating troll who constantly claims to be the smartest
> person here can't figure out how to do something as brain-dead simple as
> search for shit on iOS. You can't make this shit up, folks! Watching
> this ignorant, trollish, foolish dimwit twirl in the wind is fucking
> priceless! : D

It does make some of us feel like tech geniuses, though 8-)

--
biblioholic medievalist via iPad

Erilar

Feb 12, 2017, 3:32:59 PM2/12/17
I also thought of iBooks, but this poster may have managed to delete it 8-)

dorayme

Feb 12, 2017, 6:20:23 PM2/12/17
In article <egbucf...@mid.individual.net>,
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2017-02-12, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
>
> The resident Apple-hating troll who constantly claims to be the smartest
> person here can't figure out how to do something as brain-dead simple as
> search for shit on iOS. You can't make this shit up, folks! Watching
> this ignorant, trollish, foolish dimwit twirl in the wind is fucking
> priceless!

What's the difference, people watch you intensively watching and going
all neurotic about trolls or alleged trolls? I know, it's not
priceless.

--
dorayme

Jolly Roger

Feb 12, 2017, 6:35:56 PM2/12/17
dorayme <do_r...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> In article <egbucf...@mid.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-02-12, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
>>
>> The resident Apple-hating troll who constantly claims to be the smartest
>> person here can't figure out how to do something as brain-dead simple as
>> search for shit on iOS. You can't make this shit up, folks! Watching
>> this ignorant, trollish, foolish dimwit twirl in the wind is fucking
>> priceless!
>
> What's the difference

Stay clueless, dingbat Dory. Defending trolls suits you.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 7:20:54 PM2/12/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:20:43 -0500, nospam wrote:

>> But spotlight must exist as it shows up in the settings.
>> https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg
>
> it does.

I don't think the sought for file actually exists on the iPad anymore.
http://i.cubeupload.com/IMVwzt.jpg

It's the first time I've ever needed to *search* for a file in years!

Maybe even in a decade (since I know where all my files are even before I
put them there.)

So I didn't know how to access spotlight.
But thanks for sharing.

It's not there, I'm pretty sure.
http://i.cubeupload.com/odkN3L.jpg

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 7:21:09 PM2/12/17
On 12 Feb 2017 20:20:32 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> The resident Apple-hating troll who constantly claims to be the smartest
> person here can't figure out how to do something as brain-dead simple as
> search for shit on iOS.

:)

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 7:21:13 PM2/12/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 14:32:59 -0600, Erilar wrote:

> It does make some of us feel like tech geniuses, though 8-)

:)

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 7:23:08 PM2/12/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 12:07:43 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

>> When I tried Kindle (which had never been downloaded), it wouldn't let me
>> download it because of the iOS version not being 10 or above.
>
> That sort of thing can happen with many apps where the developer
> chooses to no longer support old OS's.

It's OK. We didn't want Kindle anyway.

I will delete all the apps I re-installed since they didn't have anything.

What happened is that someone she met had bought her, as a gift, the book,
as it turns out, and she wasn't able to download it using her iPad so she
gave up.

That was in November.
Now she's too embarrassed to seek out that person for the book id again.

Apparently it was from Amazon.
That's all I know but I don't think it's on her iPad after searching with
spotlight using the method you suggested (swipe from the middle).
http://i.cubeupload.com/IMVwzt.jpg

I know where all my files are, so I've never need to use a search to find a
file in years (maybe even in a decade or more).
http://i.cubeupload.com/odkN3L.jpg

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 7:23:40 PM2/12/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:20:41 -0500, nospam wrote:

> that's how it's supposed to work.
>
> blame amazon for not offering an older version of their app, a choice
> *they* made, not apple.

I'm not blaming anyone.
I'm just trying to find the missing file.
I suspect it's just not there.

http://i.cubeupload.com/odkN3L.jpg
http://i.cubeupload.com/IMVwzt.jpg

Savageduck

Feb 12, 2017, 7:28:38 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-13 00:23:05 +0000, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> said:

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 12:07:43 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
>>> When I tried Kindle (which had never been downloaded), it wouldn't let me
>>> download it because of the iOS version not being 10 or above.
>>
>> That sort of thing can happen with many apps where the developer
>> chooses to no longer support old OS's.
>
> It's OK. We didn't want Kindle anyway.
>
> I will delete all the apps I re-installed since they didn't have anything.
>
> What happened is that someone she met had bought her, as a gift, the book,
> as it turns out, and she wasn't able to download it using her iPad so she
> gave up.
>
> That was in November.
> Now she's too embarrassed to seek out that person for the book id again.
>
> Apparently it was from Amazon.
> That's all I know but I don't think it's on her iPad after searching with
> spotlight using the method you suggested (swipe from the middle).
> http://i.cubeupload.com/IMVwzt.jpg

Note: "ebook" is not an ebook file type, ".epub", ".pdf", ".ibooks",
and several others are.

> I know where all my files are, so I've never need to use a search to find a
> file in years (maybe even in a decade or more).
> http://i.cubeupload.com/odkN3L.jpg

--
Regards,

Savageduck

Stijn De Jong

Feb 12, 2017, 7:41:41 PM2/12/17
On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:28:32 -0800, Savageduck wrote:

> Note: "ebook" is not an ebook file type, ".epub", ".pdf", ".ibooks",
> and several others are.

Thanks. I ran a few searches for "pdf" at the time, and was surprised that
the spotlight search also searched emails (which is a good thing).

It's my first time using spotlight, so it was interesting that it basically
seems to search everything on the iPad, which, if you need a search, is
probably a good thing (as long as it can filter out when you get too many
hits).

It's not my iPad, and she lets the kids use hers (as I let them use mine)
so it found a lot of stuff that the kids put on it too. I just searched for
all the extensions you noted above and it found nothing.

So I'll just assume it's not there.
Thanks. No need to follow up as it was just a side endeavor.
If she really wants the book, she'll have to communicate with the original
sender.

We give a lot of gifts so people feel like they need to gift us back
(that's how we got the iPads in the first place, since we're all Android
otherwise).

She loves the iPad, as do the kids, but she's not technical.
Me?
I like learning of the differences; but I'm on Android most of the time.

Jolly Roger

Feb 12, 2017, 8:29:31 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-13, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:20:43 -0500, nospam wrote:
>
>>> But spotlight must exist as it shows up in the settings.
>>> https://i.cubeupload.com/j0lw80.jpg
>>
>> it does.
>
> I don't think the sought for file actually exists on the iPad anymore.
> http://i.cubeupload.com/IMVwzt.jpg

You're supposed to search for the *name* of a book to find it, dimwit.
But your search will likely be fruitless anyway because your wife
probably viewed it in Safari and never downloaded it to begin with. For
an Apple-hating troll who always claims he is smarter than anyone else
here, you sure are fucking dumb. You can't do the simplest things; you
"just give up". Pathetic.

Jolly Roger

Feb 12, 2017, 8:32:28 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-13, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> What happened is that someone she met had bought her, as a gift, the book,
> as it turns out, and she wasn't able to download it using her iPad so she
> gave up.

The truth comes out: The resident Apple-hating troll actually taught his
wife to do what he constantly accuses all iOS users of doing: "just give
up". What a fucking pathetic excuse of a human being. The day you curl
up and die will be a great day for these news groups.

Jolly Roger

Feb 12, 2017, 8:35:52 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-13, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 16:28:32 -0800, Savageduck wrote:
>
>> Note: "ebook" is not an ebook file type, ".epub", ".pdf", ".ibooks",
>> and several others are.
>
> I was surprised that the spotlight search also searched emails

This, from the resident Apple-hating troll who always claims to know
more about iOS than anyone else here. : )

> she's not technical.
> Me?

You can't figure out how to search or read an eBook on your iPad; you're
not exactly what most would consider a technical user either. Troll on,
though; it's all you've got.

Jolly Roger

Feb 12, 2017, 8:36:17 PM2/12/17
On 2017-02-13, Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2017 15:20:41 -0500, nospam wrote:
>
>> that's how it's supposed to work.
>>
>> blame amazon for not offering an older version of their app, a choice
>> *they* made, not apple.
>
> I'm not blaming anyone.
> I'm just trying to find the missing file.
> I suspect it's just not there.

Because it never was there.

Bernd Fröhlich

Feb 13, 2017, 2:35:48 AM2/13/17
Stijn De Jong <stijnd...@nlnet.nl> wrote:

> Since I'm all about facts ...
>
> Name a single fact that I stated in this thread, which isn't true.
>
> Name just one.

OK, just for you:

You said:
"you'll find that there is nothing iOS can do all by its itty
bitty self that Android doesn't already do"

iOS protects you from viruses and iOS devices get updates far longer
than android devices.

Oops, that are two facts which contradict you already.
I better stop now :-)

Stijn De Jong

Feb 13, 2017, 1:12:53 PM2/13/17
On Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:35:48 +0100, Bernd Fr?hlich wrote:

> OK, just for you:
>
> You said:
> "you'll find that there is nothing iOS can do all by its itty
> bitty self that Android doesn't already do"
>
> iOS protects you from viruses and iOS devices get updates far longer
> than android devices.

What you're saying is like comparing a bmw with a mercedes.

There will always be minor differences, but overall, a bmw does what a
mercedes does.

Both iOS and Android "protect you from viruses".

They do it differently. For example, Android won't let you, by default,
install outside of the Google Play store, as one example, but, you're
welcome to turn that off, but then the default it only for installation,
but you're also welcome to turn that off too.

With iOS, you can't install from any other store, which is sort of like
saying that if you put a concrete box around iOS, it "protects you from
viruses".

Sure, that's true, but at the cost of functionality and flexibility.

Both protect you from viruses.
One does it with a concrete box style, while the other does it with
switches that the user controls.

As for the updates, we covered this in depth.
You only read Apple MARKETING blurbs so you're completely unaware that
Android has two permanent update mechanisms.

Again, Apple & Android do the same things completely philosophically
differently.

With Android, you get manufacturer and carrier updates forever (Samsung &
T-Mobile just updated the security policy on my ancient 2012 S3 just last
year, for example).

Also you get Android updates forever (via Google Play Services and Google
Play Framweork updates, which update tons of underlying things).

So, what you are talking about is that they both do updates and they both
protect you from viruses; but the philosophies are completely different.

One is restrictive (concrete box) at the expense of flexibility (settings)
but they both accomplish the same tasks.

In addition, Android has many utilities that update specific functionality,
such as the ability to turn on and off any particular app's access (such as
to contacts, photos, calls, etc.) which is a functionality that was added
to the operating system (but which was added by apps who don't have that
operating system).

> Oops, that are two facts which contradict you already.
> I better stop now :-)

You missed that Android is updated forever in multiple ways that you never
thought about (I provided three factual ways that Android is continually
updated).

You also missed that Android protects you from viruses in multiple ways (I
only showed one factual way but there are others, e.g., apps).

Of course, you only read APPLE MARKETING so you wouldn't know the facts.
But you tried, so I give you credit for trying.

Turns out it's impossible to find any functionality that Apple iOS devices
have, all by themselves (with App-store apps) that Android doesn't already
have all by themselves, with app-store apps).

So it's not surprising you failed.
Everyone fails. Even I fail to find anything that is on iOS that isn't
already on Android. That's how facts work.

But it was a nice try.

Stijn De Jong

Feb 13, 2017, 1:12:55 PM2/13/17
On 13 Feb 2017 01:29:29 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> you sure are fucking dumb.

:)
It is loading more messages.