Sudden unexpected activation lock

RS Wood

Feb 23, 2017, 5:12:51 AM2/23/17
My iPad just went into a sudden and unexpected activation lock.

I've owned it for two years, bought new, from an Apple store.

What could make the iPad suddenly go into activation lock mode?

Jolly Roger

Feb 23, 2017, 11:02:13 AM2/23/17
Probably just a glitch. Following the prompts should result in unlocking
the device. If you are really concerned, you can log into
appleid.apple.com and change the password for the Apple ID account in
question.

JR

nospam

Feb 23, 2017, 12:37:17 PM2/23/17
In article <eh8fc4...@mid.individual.net>, Jolly Roger
<jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:

> > My iPad just went into a sudden and unexpected activation lock.
> >
> > I've owned it for two years, bought new, from an Apple store.
> >
> > What could make the iPad suddenly go into activation lock mode?
>
> Probably just a glitch. Following the prompts should result in unlocking
> the device. If you are really concerned, you can log into
> appleid.apple.com and change the password for the Apple ID account in
> question.

unless it's a spoofed alert to capture his apple id & password, or if
he's already been hacked and they already gained access and locked all
devices, possibly having changed the apple id password already.

Jolly Roger

Feb 23, 2017, 1:11:31 PM2/23/17
That's why I mentioned going to http://appleid.apple.com and changing
the password. ; )

RS Wood

Feb 23, 2017, 1:14:41 PM2/23/17
nospam wrote:

>> Probably just a glitch. Following the prompts should result in unlocking
>> the device. If you are really concerned, you can log into
>> appleid.apple.com and change the password for the Apple ID account in
>> question.
>
> unless it's a spoofed alert to capture his apple id & password, or if
> he's already been hacked and they already gained access and locked all
> devices, possibly having changed the apple id password already.

I was watching youtube and then the screen blanked black and the activation
alert came up.

Being aware of spofing I hit the back and forth stuff for a few minutes and
then I shut off the device and hit the back and forth for a while and then
let it sit overnight just in case it was a faked attack.

After asking you for help, I loged in from a separate computer to my icloud
account. It couldn't find my device which was right next to me when I
pressed find my iphone on the iCloud account.

For an unknown reason, the icloud account said my pasword which has been in
use for two years needed to be changed so I entered it and then had to
change it to a new password. It asked two security questions and then I was
able to log back into my iPad as if nothing had happened.

So nobody changed my password.
Is there any way to tell if somoene else logged into my account and locked
me out by pressing find my iphone perhaps?

But why would they do that?
What would they gain?

RS Wood

Feb 23, 2017, 1:16:02 PM2/23/17
Jolly Roger wrote:

> That's why I mentioned going to http://appleid.apple.com and changing
> the password. ; )

I went to icloud.com.
Is that the same thing?

nospam

Feb 23, 2017, 1:19:56 PM2/23/17
no, but you should check your apple id anyway at the above link and
then set up 2-factor authentication so that you can't be hacked in the
future.

more here:
<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915>

Patty Winter

Feb 23, 2017, 1:36:09 PM2/23/17

In article <o8n8qf$76o$1...@solani.org>, RS Wood <rsw...@is.invalid> wrote:

>Being aware of spofing I hit the back and forth stuff for a few minutes and
>then I shut off the device and hit the back and forth for a while and then
>let it sit overnight just in case it was a faked attack.

What is "the back and forth stuff"?

Jolly Roger

Feb 23, 2017, 2:05:14 PM2/23/17
On 2017-02-23, RS Wood <rsw...@is.invalid> wrote:
Not quite, but you can change your password there as well; so no biggie.

Jolly Roger

Feb 23, 2017, 2:06:15 PM2/23/17
On 2017-02-23, RS Wood <rsw...@is.invalid> wrote:
I suspect it's simply a glitch. It's been known to happen on rare
occasion. As long as you went to the web site and changed your password,
I wouldn't worry about it any further, personally.

Lewis

Feb 25, 2017, 9:50:01 AM2/25/17
Find my iPhone -> LOCK

--
The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality
of our language.

hi2...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2017, 12:18:14 PM9/30/17
Random? This happened to me too and it isn't so simple. And it has been happening according to people complaing on many websites TOO MANY TIMES1
My issue is my Apple ID is an old one I had and kept the password synced with my current one but the phone was supposedly set up under my current one and i just found out it is under my original one that is now out of sync password wise for some reason. Is this an effort by Apple to sell more phones? I won't be doing that as my iPhone 6 is in great condition except for this Lock situation. If they don't get this resolved for me,
I will NEVER buy another Apple product again!

Jolly Roger

Sep 30, 2017, 1:00:40 PM9/30/17
<hi2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My issue is my Apple ID is an old one I had and kept the password synced
> with my current one but the phone was supposedly set up under my current
> one and i just found out it is under my original one that is now out of
> sync password wise for some reason.

You sound hopelessly confused. Maybe techno gadgets aren't a good choice
for you.

> Is this an effort by Apple to sell more phones?

Sure. Sure it is.

> I won't be doing that as my iPhone 6 is in great condition except for
> this Lock situation. If they don't get this resolved for me,
> I will NEVER buy another Apple product again!

Bye, Felicia.

Geoff

May 9, 2020, 4:04:20 PM5/9/20
SOLUTION (for me anyway): remove old SIM card.

I had an iPad 2 that suddenly needed activation (May, 2020). Over wifi it would say couldn't connect to server, connecting to itunes either failed (with newest itunes, wouldn't even recognize it) or with an older itunes on a different computer it would connect but not activate. Apple Support call told me I'm out of luck. Basically sounded like built-in-obsolescence. HOWEVER, after the call, just to try it, I removed the old SIM card, and suddenly I was in. I didn't even know it had a SIM card, it was an old AT&T card. I had only ever used it over wifi. So there you have it, I used a paper clip to pop the SIM slot and just removed the card.

Ant

May 10, 2020, 1:21:15 AM5/10/20
Is your iPad cellular model?
--
:) National Nurse Wk. ..!.. heat wave & illness like COVID-19/2019-nCoV/SARS-CoV-2! :(
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org /

Lewis

May 10, 2020, 5:57:56 AM5/10/20
In message <UZGdne10w6bYEirD...@earthlink.com> Ant <a...@zimage.comANT> wrote:
> Geoff <windsor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 3:12:51 AM UTC-7, RS Wood wrote:
>> > My iPad just went into a sudden and unexpected activation lock.
>> >
>> > I've owned it for two years, bought new, from an Apple store.
>> >
>> > What could make the iPad suddenly go into activation lock mode?

>> SOLUTION (for me anyway): remove old SIM card.

>> I had an iPad 2 that suddenly needed activation (May, 2020). Over
>> wifi it would say couldn't connect to server, connecting to itunes
>> either failed (with newest itunes, wouldn't even recognize it) or
>> with an older itunes on a different computer it would connect but not
>> activate. Apple Support call told me I'm out of luck. Basically
>> sounded like built-in-obsolescence. HOWEVER, after the call, just to
>> try it, I removed the old SIM card, and suddenly I was in. I didn't
>> even know it had a SIM card, it was an old AT&T card. I had only ever
>> used it over wifi. So there you have it, I used a paper clip to pop
>> the SIM slot and just removed the card.

AT&T has a long an ignoble history over asserting ownership over
property they do not have any ownership rights over.

> Is your iPad cellular model?

Obviously.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"Um, no, Cranky Mouseykin, not even in the story you made up."

Fabian

Mar 10, 2021, 7:09:19 AM3/10/21
This randomly happened to me today and your solution resolved it. Thanks.