What is the difference between Orfox and Orbot?

Andrea Bianchi

Jun 13, 2016, 3:42:48 PM6/13/16
I install Orfox and Orbot.
Both seem to work same.

Orfox I thinked was Firefox with Tor.
Orbot I thinked was VPN with Tor.

But when I bring up Orbot it says "Connected to the Tor network"
but when I go to "whatismyipaddress.com" is gives my real IP address.

It also says "NOTICE: Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like
client functionality is working".

But if I get my "real" IP address, then Orbot did nothing.

To make me confused more, I can press the "BROWSER" or "VPN" button on
the bottom of Orbot.

When I press "BROWSER" it brings up the "checktorproject.org" which says
"Congratulations This browser is configured to use Tor".

But that is not different than if I skipped Orbot completely and just
bringed up the Tor Browser in the beginning.

My question is What is the difference between Orfox and Orbox that matters?

--
ciao

Anonymous

Jun 24, 2016, 5:24:48 PM6/24/16
> I install Orfox and Orbot.
> Both seem to work same.
>
> Orfox I thinked was Firefox with Tor.

I have no idea what Orfox is.

> Orbot I thinked was VPN with Tor.

No. Orbot is a server that connects to the Tor network. It does not
involve a VPN. Apps like your phone's built-in browser will not use
Orbot directly. They will bypass Orbot by default. Only apps that
have been specifically designed for Orbot can use Orbot directly. E.g.
"Orweb" is Orbot-aware and can browse the web on Tor (via Orbot).

If an app cannot interface with Orbot (most can't), then you have
another option if your OS is new enough. You can tell Orbot to
*simulate* a VPN tunnel. It's not a real VPN, but rather a fake VPN
that exists entirely on your phone. You can then force apps that are
not Orbot-aware to connect to the fake VPN, which is actually just
Tor. This does not require root.

There is a 3rd option but it requires root access. You can setup
transparent proxying on Orbot. Then all apps will simply have their
traffic forced through Orbot without the apps being aware of it.

> But when I bring up Orbot it says "Connected to the Tor network"
> but when I go to "whatismyipaddress.com" is gives my real IP address.

That's because browsers other than Orweb do not use Orbot unless you
do something special.

> It also says "NOTICE: Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks
> like client functionality is working".

That means Orbot (your Tor server) is working.

> But if I get my "real" IP address, then Orbot did nothing.
>
> To make me confused more, I can press the "BROWSER" or "VPN" button on
> the bottom of Orbot.
>
> When I press "BROWSER" it brings up the "checktorproject.org" which says
> "Congratulations This browser is configured to use Tor".

Orbot probably launched Orweb for you, in that case, which obviously
works.