Car radio

Carlos E. R.

Nov 28, 2023, 4:55:33 PM11/28/23

Yesterday I had a look in Android Car at what apps there are available
in it, and I noticed "Radioline".

The available apps are a subset of those apps I have on the phone, and
now and then another one gets ported to Android Auto. I also noticed
"Kobo Books". Huh? A book reader on the car, while driving? There were
no books on it, though. There are some on my phone. Maybe it is intended
for audio books, of which I have none.

Ok, so I tried Radioline. I tried my favourite station, and it said
"login required".

WHAAAAT?

And the station did not play. Other stations played.

Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.

Other apps I have used recently do not say I have to login. But it is
possible that via login I might have access to the alternate audio
stream of that station.

I'll explain.

This instant, the FM and AM radios of this station are broadcasting some
fútbol match (European football). I hate that. But if I go to the
station web page there are two audio streams, the sports, or the normal
programming (politics reports). On the proprietary app of the station
you also get that choice. Not on the open source apps.

So I have now in my tablet Firefox running (with UBlock Origin) on that
station, playing the alternate audio stream (without UBO the station
page takes several minutes to load, slow as molasses). I can't do this
in Android Auto. I would have to stop the car on the side, open the
browser in the phone, and play the audio on the car speaker.

Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

AJL

Nov 28, 2023, 5:56:55 PM11/28/23
On 11/28/2023 2:55 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio: I
> refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.

One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my Favorites. I
keep a list of around 10 favorite stations that I like that are kept in
a separate folder for easy access. So when I install the app on a
new toy (device) and log in, it immediately updates my favorites.
Easy-peasy. And I only have to log in once per device so not that much
of a hassle either.

And for my paranoia I use a fake ID and email address for just just such
log-in circumstances. And not just for Internet radio...

> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

Depends on the app. I seldom have any problems with the apps I use and
I'm GUESSING that most of those hiccups can be attributed to my ISP...

Carlos E. R.

Nov 28, 2023, 6:08:43 PM11/28/23
On 2023-11-28 23:56, AJL wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 2:55 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
>
>> that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio: I
>> refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.
>
> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my Favorites.

Nope. Not login to the app, login to the station.

Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

AJL

Nov 28, 2023, 6:16:32 PM11/28/23
You must be using a browser then?

AJL

Nov 28, 2023, 6:31:45 PM11/28/23
Just reread the original post. I've never had to log into a station once
inside an app. Weird. So just ignore my post.

>> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

Shouldn't judge all of Internet Radio by one app/station...

Carlos E. R.

Nov 28, 2023, 7:19:02 PM11/28/23
On 2023-11-29 00:31, AJL wrote:
> On 11/28/2023 4:16 PM, AJL wrote:

>>> Nope. Not login to the app, login to the station.
>>
>> You must be using a browser then?
>
> Just reread the original post. I've never had to log into a station once
> inside an app. Weird. So just ignore my post.

They must have struck a deal with the station, which has their own app,
which I know requires registration.

>>> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...
>
> Shouldn't judge all of Internet Radio by one app/station...

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Wally J

Nov 28, 2023, 7:37:15 PM11/28/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

> Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
> I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.

As well you should, as anyone who creates a login and logs into an account
to do something that does not need that account, is a sheep led to
slaughter (IMHO).

There are very few (almost none) app functionalities that need an account.

While some things need an account (e.g., mail, banking, medical record
lookups, cloud storage, etc.,) most things do not need an account.

Even the Android phone doesn't need an account.
It works just fine without it.

What types of functionality _requires_ an account anyway?

Wally J

Nov 28, 2023, 7:39:56 PM11/28/23
AJL <noe...@none.com> wrote

> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my Favorites.

I use the FOSS YouTube client, which doesn't need me to create an account.
And yet, it remembers my favorites.

I can even subscribe to a YouTube channel with it.
The point being most things that require an account, don't need it.

Anyone who creates that account, is, IMHO, a sheep led to slaughter.

AJL

Nov 28, 2023, 8:09:42 PM11/28/23
On 11/28/2023 5:39 PM, Wally J wrote:
> AJL <noe...@none.com> wrote

>> One advantage of logging in is that the app remembers my
>> Favorites.

> I use the FOSS YouTube client, which doesn't need me to create an
> account. And yet, it remembers my favorites.

My radio apps don't require an account to remember favorites either. But
they do need an account to AUTOMATICALLY add my favorites to a newly
installed app on a new device. Else how would they know it was me on the
new toys...

> Anyone who creates that account, is, IMHO, a sheep led to slaughter.

My fake log-in ID never feels a thing...

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 2:47:02 AM11/29/23
On 28 Nov 2023 22:55:30 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Yesterday I had a look in Android Car at what apps there are available
>in it, and I noticed "Radioline".
>
>The available apps are a subset of those apps I have on the phone, and
>now and then another one gets ported to Android Auto. I also noticed
>"Kobo Books". Huh? A book reader on the car, while driving? There were
>no books on it, though. There are some on my phone. Maybe it is intended
>for audio books, of which I have none.
>
>Ok, so I tried Radioline. I tried my favourite station, and it said
>"login required".
>
>WHAAAAT?

Probably a commercial arrangement: Radioline paid Google to get their app
included.

>And the station did not play. Other stations played.

Maybe the football rights were sold on a geographuc basis, so not streamed
outside Spain.

>Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
>I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.
>
>Other apps I have used recently do not say I have to login. But it is
>possible that via login I might have access to the alternate audio
>stream of that station.
>
>I'll explain.
>
>This instant, the FM and AM radios of this station are broadcasting some
>fútbol match (European football). I hate that. But if I go to the
>station web page there are two audio streams, the sports, or the normal
>programming (politics reports). On the proprietary app of the station
>you also get that choice. Not on the open source apps.
>
>So I have now in my tablet Firefox running (with UBlock Origin) on that
>station, playing the alternate audio stream (without UBO the station
>page takes several minutes to load, slow as molasses). I can't do this
>in Android Auto. I would have to stop the car on the side, open the
>browser in the phone, and play the audio on the car speaker.
>

>Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

You may be able to find the stream address and play it in a media player
such as VLC, or a browser. Try googling "<station-name> stream address".
e.g. BBC Radio 3:

<http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8>
One tap on a list of favourites and it plays.

You can also pull that file address - the m3u8 file - out of Firefox by
using the developer tools, network tab.

I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Jeff Layman

Nov 29, 2023, 3:19:02 AM11/29/23
On 29/11/2023 07:46, Dave Royal wrote:

> I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
> least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?

I use DAB too, in the same area as you. However, there seems to be a
move to DAB+ for some stations (such as Classic FM), which my 8 years
old car radio doesn't do. I guess that for some stations it'll have to
be a move to FM.

--

Jeff

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 4:08:40 AM11/29/23
None of my house radios does DAB+, they're all >15 years old - one is >20.
I don't know whether my 4yo VW car does. The only DAB+ stations I've seen
mentioned (on music forums) that I thought I might listen to were either
pretty niche or local - I doubt if they were on FM. In all cases I could
stream them.

But I just found that Jazz FM is now on DAB+ (here in Kent). The radio had
previouly tuned it in, but now it won't play. Saves them money, and they
can get more of their stations on the multiplex.

Jeff Layman

Nov 29, 2023, 4:27:07 AM11/29/23
Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)

--

Jeff

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 4:47:09 AM11/29/23
On 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:

>Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
>which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
>no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
>might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
>to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)

I'm very surprised. I've not heard of a plan to discontinue DAB.
hydrogenaudio is the place to ask.

Lidl sells stuff sourced in other countries, particularly Germany. Some
counties may not broadcast vanilla DAB having introduced it later and
learned from the UK's experience - we suffer from first-mover disadvantage
;) Does Germany broadcast DAB or only DAB+?

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 4:51:02 AM11/29/23
On 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:

>Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
>which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
>no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
>might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
>to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)

I'm very surprised. I've not heard of a plan to discontinue DAB.
hydrogenaudio is the place to ask.

Lidl sells stuff sourced in other countries, particularly Germany. Some
counties may not broadcast vanilla DAB having introduced it later and
learned from the UK's experience - we suffer from first-mover disadvantage
;) Does Germany broadcast DAB or only DAB+?

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 5:42:31 AM11/29/23
On 2023-11-29 08:46, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2023 22:55:30 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Yesterday I had a look in Android Car at what apps there are available
>> in it, and I noticed "Radioline".
>>
>> The available apps are a subset of those apps I have on the phone, and
>> now and then another one gets ported to Android Auto. I also noticed
>> "Kobo Books". Huh? A book reader on the car, while driving? There were
>> no books on it, though. There are some on my phone. Maybe it is intended
>> for audio books, of which I have none.
>>
>> Ok, so I tried Radioline. I tried my favourite station, and it said
>> "login required".
>>
>> WHAAAAT?
>
> Probably a commercial arrangement: Radioline paid Google to get their app
> included.

I think it is not a login to radioline, but to the station.

I just opened the app in the phone (the other day was in Android Auto).
It asks permission to store and access personal information such as
precise location and device characteristics for the purposes of
identification.

Then I tapped on that station (Cadena SER) and it said "this content is
not available now". Other stations work. And this particular station
works in "Open Radio" app.

If I tap the cog wheel of Radioline app, it suggests to create an
account, but works without one.

So there is something special with this particular station, Cadena SER,
on this app.

>> And the station did not play. Other stations played.
>
> Maybe the football rights were sold on a geographuc basis, so not streamed
> outside Spain.

But I am in Spain.

Apps like "Open Radio" stream the futbol program just fine. Or
Firefox/Chrome.

Usually, the station stream is prefixed with a fixed advert before it
allows one to listen to the program.

(and this moment fútbol is finished)

>> Well, that's another reason I use an FM radio instead of internet radio:
>> I refuse to register, login, and be counted to listen to the radio.
>>
>> Other apps I have used recently do not say I have to login. But it is
>> possible that via login I might have access to the alternate audio
>> stream of that station.
>>
>> I'll explain.
>>
>> This instant, the FM and AM radios of this station are broadcasting some
>> fútbol match (European football). I hate that. But if I go to the
>> station web page there are two audio streams, the sports, or the normal
>> programming (politics reports). On the proprietary app of the station
>> you also get that choice. Not on the open source apps.
>>
>> So I have now in my tablet Firefox running (with UBlock Origin) on that
>> station, playing the alternate audio stream (without UBO the station
>> page takes several minutes to load, slow as molasses). I can't do this
>> in Android Auto. I would have to stop the car on the side, open the
>> browser in the phone, and play the audio on the car speaker.
>>

>> Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...
>
> You may be able to find the stream address and play it in a media player
> such as VLC, or a browser. Try googling "<station-name> stream address".
> e.g. BBC Radio 3:
>
> <http://as-hls-ww-live.akamaized.net/pool_904/live/ww/bbc_radio_three/bbc_radio_three.isml/bbc_radio_three-audio%3d96000.norewind.m3u8>
> One tap on a list of favourites and it plays.

I get:

Icecast Streaming Media Server - cadena SER
Cadena SER
https://emisoras.cadenaser.com
Cadena SER 2. Stream Description: Cadena SER 2. Content Type:
audio/mpeg. Stream ... Stream URL: RADIOLE. Currently playing: Mount
Point /internet2A. M3U · XSPF ...

https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/

I can not paste properly the contents of that page, it is weird.

Several of these:

Mount Point /CADENASER M3U XSPF

Stream Name: Cadena SER
Stream Description: Cadena SER
Content Type: audio/mpeg
Stream started: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 03:16:19 +0100
Bitrate: 75
Listeners (current): 178
Listeners (peak): 178
Genre: Cadena SER
Stream URL: CADENASER
Currently playing:

There are two links, one M3U and another XSPF.

The first one doesn't open, it downloads a file:

cer@Laicolasse:~/Downloads> cat CADENASER.m3u
http://emisoras.cadenaser.com:8085/CADENASER
cer@Laicolasse:~/Downloads>

Calling "vlc CADENASER.m3u" doesn't play it.

cer@Laicolasse:~/Downloads> cat CADENASER.xspf
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playlist xmlns="http://xspf.org/ns/0/" version="1">
<title/>
<creator/>
<trackList>
<track>
<location>http://emisoras.cadenaser.com:8085/CADENASER</location>
<title/>
<annotation>Stream Title: Cadena SER
Stream Description: Cadena SER
Content Type:audio/mpeg
Bitrate: 75
Current Listeners: 141
Peak Listeners: 180
Stream Genre: Cadena SER</annotation>
<info>CADENASER</info>
</track>
</trackList>
</playlist>

vlc doesn't play the file.

Opening VLC independently and pointing it to open stream at
"http://emisoras.cadenaser.com:8085/CADENASER" doesn't work.

The string "CADENASER" in the page <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/> is
clicable, and plays (in firefox). <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER>

Ok, this is very nice, but apparently will only work inside firefox, so
not in Android Auto.

Page Info says the media is of type video.

Developers tool (thanks for the info) says
"https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER", which we already know.

Now, why VLC doesn't open it?

Wait, now it works!

vlc https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER

That's wonderful :-)

I'll try that link on the phone now. [...] Yes, it works!

Next step, look at that page at a time they have the split program, news
and fútbol :-)

It could be: <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER2>

which now is identical audio as the other one.

> You can also pull that file address - the m3u8 file - out of Firefox by
> using the developer tools, network tab.

Yes, nice trick.

> I use DAB in the car - keeps locked onto the station better than FM, at
> least here in southern UK. AM? Is that still a thing in Europe?

Depends on the country. Switzerland I'm told that yes. Spain, there is a
transmitter in Barcelona and another in Madrid.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmisi%C3%B3n_digital_de_audio#Espa%C3%B1a

I don't have any DAB receiver. I'm just looking at one, maybe cyber week:

<https://www.amazon.es/s?k=radio+dab%2B&__mk_es_ES=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=HT289ZRUTB8K&sprefix=radio+dab+%2Caps%2C128&ref=nb_sb_noss_2>

This one (Amazon option)

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08L6SHMJL

can output via BT. Almost 60 euros.

8,27 x 3,5 x 4,72 cm; 460 grams. Too small.

This other:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0B321H9B8/

looks nicer, 43€.

Says 10*10*10 mm! Impossible.

I hate the photos, happy people listening to the radio. Puagh.

Ah, size is ‎ 17 x 5,5 x 9,5 cm; 370 grams. That's a reasonable size.

No internet radio (the other one has it).

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00IAV917O/

74€

Display is very simple. Many buttons. Known brand (Panasonic).

25,1 x 9,1 x 13,8 cm; 1,3 kg

Mentions battery but not its type.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 6:05:39 AM11/29/23
On 29 Nov 2023 11:42:27 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:
>On 2023-11-29 08:46, Dave Royal wrote:
>> On 28 Nov 2023 22:55:30 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> And the station did not play. Other stations played.
>>
>> Maybe the football rights were sold on a geographuc basis, so not streamed
>> outside Spain.
>
>But I am in Spain.

I assumed you were, but if they stream it on the internet it could be
received outside Spain, so they don't stream it.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 6:12:28 AM11/29/23
They do stream it.

OpenRadio app listens to it, no problem. Simple Radio app, no problem.
You can listen to it on Firefox, no problem.

The problem is listening to the alternate stream that is not futbol, no
app broadcasts it, except the station own app, which requires
registration. Firefox also listens to it.

And today I found the possible URL of that alternate stream, so that I
may be able to listen to it on the car with VLC.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Jeff Layman

Nov 29, 2023, 6:58:36 AM11/29/23
On 29/11/2023 09:39, Dave Royal wrote:
> On 29 Nov 2023 09:21:58 +0000 Jeff Layman wrote:
>
>> Is there a move to kill DAB? I bought a cheap Lidl Silvercrest radio
>> which said it was DAB+ (it is, and FM), but it doesn't do DAB itself! So
>> no BBC DAB national stations. I find it somewhat ironic that plain DAB
>> might be disappearing before FM does, if the recommendation is to change
>> to FM when a station moves from DAB to DAB+. :-)
>
> I'm very surprised. I've not heard of a plan to discontinue DAB.
> hydrogenaudio is the place to ask.

It was just a question, seeing that there seemed to be a move by some
stations (at least) to move to from DAB to DAB+.

> Lidl sells stuff sourced in other countries, particularly Germany. Some
> counties may not broadcast vanilla DAB having introduced it later and
> learned from the UK's experience - we suffer from first-mover disadvantage
> ;) Does Germany broadcast DAB or only DAB+?

I could only find one station (WDR Event Regular Service) at
<https://www.worlddab.org/countries/germany/multiplexes> which
broadcasts in DAB only. All the rest are DAB+. You could well be right
that Lidl sources the radios from Germany, so they're DAB+ only.

--

Jeff

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 7:25:10 AM11/29/23
On 2023-11-29 11:42, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Now, why VLC doesn't open it?
>
> Wait, now it works!
>
> vlc https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER
>
> That's wonderful :-)
>
> I'll try that link on the phone now. [...] Yes, it works!
>

> Next step, look at that page at a time they have the split program, news
> and fútbol :-)
>
> It could be: <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER2>
>
> which now is identical audio as the other one.
I just managed to add both streams manually to app "Open Radio" on the
tablet, worked instantly.

Then I installed the app on the phone, added the two streams, and later
will try on the car to see if the app displays on Android Auto.

Finally, I have to wait for a fútbol day to see if the 2nd stream is the
one I want, and problem finally solved.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Wally J

Nov 29, 2023, 7:35:48 AM11/29/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

> Finally, I have to wait for a fútbol day to see if the 2nd stream is the
> one I want, and problem finally solved.

I'm happy you solved your problem (or at least you're ready to test the
solution on the given day), where that's what I love about Android.

I have both iPads and Android phones and tablets, and there's just no
comparison when it comes to being able to solve the problems that arise.

Let us know if it works in the final analysis.

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 7:39:07 AM11/29/23
On 29 Nov 2023 12:12:26 +0100 Carlos E. R. wrote:

>They do stream it.
>
>OpenRadio app listens to it, no problem. Simple Radio app, no problem.
>You can listen to it on Firefox, no problem.
>
>The problem is listening to the alternate stream that is not futbol, no
>app broadcasts it, except the station own app, which requires
>registration. Firefox also listens to it.
>
>And today I found the possible URL of that alternate stream, so that I
>may be able to listen to it on the car with VLC.

Perhaps the streaming service checks your IP.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 7:40:13 AM11/29/23
Ah, nice link.

https://www.worlddab.org/countries/spain#automotive

Last update: 16.02.2022 - older versions

In Spain, 91% of new cars sold in 2021 have DAB+ as standard (Source:
JATO Dynamics 2022).

Gosh. I haven't yet seen a car with it...

https://www.worlddab.org/countries/spain/multiplexes

Two dab+ stations, on trial.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Newyana2

Nov 29, 2023, 8:47:20 AM11/29/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

| Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

I would nominate an alternate solution: I replaced
my car radio with a small storage cabinet that I made
to fit the opening. I don't have a computer in the car
and don't turn on my cellphone most of the time...
Very peaceful, and no logins. :)

Newyana2

Nov 29, 2023, 8:49:19 AM11/29/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

| Internet Radio still lets a lot to be desired...

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 9:05:22 AM11/29/23
You can try yourself the urls:

vlc https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER
vlc https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/CADENASER2

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

candycanearter07

Nov 29, 2023, 10:56:56 AM11/29/23
Messaging, Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress.

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 11:01:21 AM11/29/23
Those play fine. They appear to be the same program. Let me know if one of
them broadcasts football.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 11:11:52 AM11/29/23
Most of the day, and most days, they are the same program. It is only a
few times when they split, when there is an important match at the hours
of their main normal programming. I guess it may happen today at 17:30
or 18:25, but I'm not certain.

I will try later myself. Till today, I could only listen to the
alternate stream using FF, finding those two streams in the open is a
new and surprising finding.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Wally J

Nov 29, 2023, 11:44:49 AM11/29/23
candycanearter07 <n...@thanks.net> wrote

>> What types of functionality _requires_ an account anyway?
>
> Messaging, Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress.

Thanks for that information where I would truly love to know what apps
absolutely require an account since I can barely think of any that do.

BTW, we haven't spoken for a while, so at the end of this message are some
screenshots I just made today for another thread, but which you asked for.

Back to your point about what types of functionality require an account,
I can only think of a few that require it, one of which is email.

But notice there is email... and there is the mail user agent (MUA), where
only the Google MUA _requires_ the Google Account on the phone itself. And
even then, only on Android phones (not on iPhones)... my point being there
are ways around these requirements (like use a different MUA than "GMail").

You mentioned "messaging", where _some_ messaging platforms do require an
account (because they use a central server), such as Google Voice, Apple's
Messages app (which uses an iMessage server), WhatsApp, FaceBook,
Talkatone, etc.

But the _main_ messaging app on Android (for SMS/MMS) does not (as far as I
know but I don't know if RCS changes that equation).

That means I don't need an "account" to log into but of course, the phone
itself is tied to an account on T-Mobile (or Verizon, AT&T, etc.). The
MMS/SMS "messaging" app goes through them, but there isn't a login, per se.

As for "Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress", why
can't you store that stuff locally on the phone itself?

Note that almost everything that "says" it needs an account... doesn't.

---< here are screenshots I had promised you a while ago >---
<https://i.postimg.cc/7P7NCctS/locked-01.jpg> AppleID is locked by Apple
<https://i.postimg.cc/4dHQQFfk/locked-02.jpg> Password was always good
<https://i.postimg.cc/vTdfLY2f/locked-03.jpg> Apple wants a gov license!!!
<https://i.postimg.cc/rpmJKw7p/locked-04.jpg> Then, iCloud works again
<https://i.postimg.cc/rwyGPpV9/locked-05.jpg> Then, Messages works again
---< Above and below it shows Apple requires periodic log in & ID >---
<https://i.postimg.cc/9fPjQpr3/nag01.jpg> 3 iOS nag items
<https://i.postimg.cc/wxwgN0Fg/nag02.jpg> 2 iOS nag items
<https://i.postimg.cc/3NVqB4dC/nag03.jpg> 1 iOS nag item (permanent)

I forget what thread I need to append those to (but the iKooks, who are
all incredibly ignorant) don't know the first thing of how Apple works.
--
Most of what I know about mobile devices is because I test them myself.

candycanearter07

Nov 29, 2023, 11:50:17 AM11/29/23
On 11/29/23 10:44, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <n...@thanks.net> wrote
>
>>> What types of functionality _requires_ an account anyway?
>>
>> Messaging, Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress.
>
> Thanks for that information where I would truly love to know what apps
> absolutely require an account since I can barely think of any that do.
>
> BTW, we haven't spoken for a while, so at the end of this message are some
> screenshots I just made today for another thread, but which you asked for.

sorry about not posting here much

> Back to your point about what types of functionality require an account,
> I can only think of a few that require it, one of which is email.
>
> But notice there is email... and there is the mail user agent (MUA), where
> only the Google MUA _requires_ the Google Account on the phone itself. And
> even then, only on Android phones (not on iPhones)... my point being there
> are ways around these requirements (like use a different MUA than "GMail").
>
> You mentioned "messaging", where _some_ messaging platforms do require an
> account (because they use a central server), such as Google Voice, Apple's
> Messages app (which uses an iMessage server), WhatsApp, FaceBook,
> Talkatone, etc.
>
> But the _main_ messaging app on Android (for SMS/MMS) does not (as far as I
> know but I don't know if RCS changes that equation).
>
> That means I don't need an "account" to log into but of course, the phone
> itself is tied to an account on T-Mobile (or Verizon, AT&T, etc.). The
> MMS/SMS "messaging" app goes through them, but there isn't a login, per se.
>
> As for "Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress", why
> can't you store that stuff locally on the phone itself?

Displaying it to other people? idk

> Note that almost everything that "says" it needs an account... doesn't.
>
> ---< here are screenshots I had promised you a while ago >---
> <https://i.postimg.cc/7P7NCctS/locked-01.jpg> AppleID is locked by Apple
> <https://i.postimg.cc/4dHQQFfk/locked-02.jpg> Password was always good
> <https://i.postimg.cc/vTdfLY2f/locked-03.jpg> Apple wants a gov license!!!
> <https://i.postimg.cc/rpmJKw7p/locked-04.jpg> Then, iCloud works again
> <https://i.postimg.cc/rwyGPpV9/locked-05.jpg> Then, Messages works again
> ---< Above and below it shows Apple requires periodic log in & ID >---
> <https://i.postimg.cc/9fPjQpr3/nag01.jpg> 3 iOS nag items
> <https://i.postimg.cc/wxwgN0Fg/nag02.jpg> 2 iOS nag items
> <https://i.postimg.cc/3NVqB4dC/nag03.jpg> 1 iOS nag item (permanent)
>
> I forget what thread I need to append those to (but the iKooks, who are
> all incredibly ignorant) don't know the first thing of how Apple works.

Thanks.

candycanearter07

Nov 29, 2023, 11:51:11 AM11/29/23
On 11/28/23 18:37, Wally J wrote:
Messaging, Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress.
At least those are the main stuff I see accounts used for.

oh and of course buying stuff for it

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 12:41:03 PM11/29/23
On 2023-11-29 17:44, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <n...@thanks.net> wrote
>
>>> What types of functionality _requires_ an account anyway?
>>
>> Messaging, Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress.
>
> Thanks for that information where I would truly love to know what apps
> absolutely require an account since I can barely think of any that do.
>
> BTW, we haven't spoken for a while, so at the end of this message are some
> screenshots I just made today for another thread, but which you asked for.
>
> Back to your point about what types of functionality require an account,
> I can only think of a few that require it, one of which is email.
>
> But notice there is email... and there is the mail user agent (MUA), where
> only the Google MUA _requires_ the Google Account on the phone itself. And
> even then, only on Android phones (not on iPhones)... my point being there
> are ways around these requirements (like use a different MUA than "GMail").
>
> You mentioned "messaging", where _some_ messaging platforms do require an
> account (because they use a central server), such as Google Voice, Apple's
> Messages app (which uses an iMessage server), WhatsApp, FaceBook,
> Talkatone, etc.
>
> But the _main_ messaging app on Android (for SMS/MMS) does not (as far as I
> know but I don't know if RCS changes that equation).

No.

There is no need, the app only gets the messages sent by the provider to
that phone number. There is a password, mind: the SIM card PIN number
(ok, it can be blanked).

Things change when you want to read/write messages on the computer; they
can use an authorization by taking a photo with the phone of a dot
pattern on the computer, but if the computer has independent access, it
needs a login/pass.

> That means I don't need an "account" to log into but of course, the phone
> itself is tied to an account on T-Mobile (or Verizon, AT&T, etc.). The
> MMS/SMS "messaging" app goes through them, but there isn't a login, per se.

There is a login, only that you don't notice it.

> As for "Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress", why
> can't you store that stuff locally on the phone itself?

Of course you can, but the point is "across devices".

In the case of "radio apps" you get the same list of favourites or saved
stations on your different phones, "automatically".

Those things can be, theoretically be saved on google servers (google
drive) with a google account (I don't know the requirements), or at some
server of the application provider.

And it can be absolutely innocent. You save your configuration/status,
and they never ever have a peek at it or use it for anything at all. It
is just some feature that in many apps is optional.

Some developers only want to know how many people use the feature, or
how many subscribe per month. Ie, statistics of some sort.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Wally J

Nov 29, 2023, 12:51:36 PM11/29/23
candycanearter07 <n...@thanks.net> wrote

>> What types of functionality _requires_ an account anyway?
>
> Messaging, Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress.
> At least those are the main stuff I see accounts used for.
>
> oh and of course buying stuff for it

The only things that need accounts are stuff that requires data on the
cloud, or compute power on the cloud - but they're few & far between.

SMS/MMS messaging, as far as I know, does not require creating an account
to log into on the phone (although, of course, it requires a carrier SIM).

Certainly all the messaging that goes through servers requires an account,
such as Apple's Messages, Facebook's WhatsApp, Google Voice, etc.

Inventory? Why can't inventory be stored on the phone?
Settings saved? What's wrong with saving them to the phone?
Progress? Again, what's wrong with saving them to the phone.

Note: If you're afraid of losing the saved stuff, save it to the sdcard and
then copy the saved data to a safe storage when you feel like it.

Buying stuff doesn't generally need an account (but it does need a credit
card), but of course, if you want Amazon Prime Free Shipping, it does.

Bear in mind, the less intelligent people are, the more accounts they have.
And vice versa.

For example, I download apps off the Google Play Store all the time without
having to create a Google Account, just as I make YouTube playlists and
subscribe to channels without having to create a Google Account to do it.

The smarter someone is, the fewer accounts they will be logging into
(IMHO).
--
Most of what I know about iOS & Android is learned from empirical testing.

Dave Royal

Nov 29, 2023, 2:49:26 PM11/29/23
They're both broadcasting football ATM. I heard 'sevilla' and 'Ramos'.

Wally J

Nov 29, 2023, 3:16:07 PM11/29/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

>> But the _main_ messaging app on Android (for SMS/MMS) does not (as far as I
>> know but I don't know if RCS changes that equation).
>
> No.
>
> There is no need, the app only gets the messages sent by the provider to
> that phone number. There is a password, mind: the SIM card PIN number
> (ok, it can be blanked).

Thanks for clarifying that RCS doesn't add any extra account requirement.

> Things change when you want to read/write messages on the computer; they
> can use an authorization by taking a photo with the phone of a dot
> pattern on the computer, but if the computer has independent access, it
> needs a login/pass.

I use a computer all the time to manage my Android phone, and all I have to
do is accept the "trust challenge" which takes on a variety of forms.
<https://i.postimg.cc/ZK9B82gP/adb15.jpg> adb pair [IP][Port] [code]
<https://i.postimg.cc/SRRXtvKh/adb16.jpg> Android 12 Wireless Pairing
<https://i.postimg.cc/CLWZmJT3/adb17.jpg> Allow wireless debugging

There's no need to "log into" any account to "manage" my phone on a PC.

Hell, I can install and delete apps and modify settings, and everything.
<https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows

Since none of that needs an account to be created, I have to wonder what on
earth on an Android phone truly "requires" an account to be created.

Of course, billions of apps _want_ an account - but that's a completely
different question of wanting you to create one versus actually needing it.

>> That means I don't need an "account" to log into but of course, the phone
>> itself is tied to an account on T-Mobile (or Verizon, AT&T, etc.). The
>> MMS/SMS "messaging" app goes through them, but there isn't a login, per se.
>
> There is a login, only that you don't notice it.

Yes. Let's not get picky (we'll leave that to the iPhone people to play
those games). Suffice to say nobody is getting cellular service for free,
and everyone who is getting it has an account of some format.

Although it's created with the credit card, in my case anyway, and there's
no login (although if I wanted to get billing paperless their would be).

>> As for "Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress", why
>> can't you store that stuff locally on the phone itself?
>
> Of course you can, but the point is "across devices".

Hmmm... true. But not really. If you're good at computers, you can sync to
your own computers. Why do you need to sync to someone else's computer?

My problem with OwnCloud is that it really doesn't run on Windows.
So I'd have to set up a desktop as a Linux server to use it fruitfully.

> In the case of "radio apps" you get the same list of favourites or saved
> stations on your different phones, "automatically".
>
> Those things can be, theoretically be saved on google servers (google
> drive) with a google account (I don't know the requirements), or at some
> server of the application provider.

I haven't set up my own server, but the way I'd approach that problem set,
if I wanted to implement it, would be to set up my router on the net.

Then I could use my own router as the OwnCloud server and accomplish what
you're seeking. As always, it takes intelligence & effort to maintain
privacy. I haven't expended that effort. But that's how I'd do it if I did.

> And it can be absolutely innocent. You save your configuration/status,
> and they never ever have a peek at it or use it for anything at all. It
> is just some feature that in many apps is optional.
>
> Some developers only want to know how many people use the feature, or
> how many subscribe per month. Ie, statistics of some sort.

Understood that the account need can be innocent - but - you know as well
as I do that plenty of things ask for an account that don't really need it.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 4:31:22 PM11/29/23
Yep.

I succeeded in having "Open Radio" app running on the car Android Auto,
but both streams are the same, slightly different volume though. As i
was parked, I opened the radio web page on Firefox, chose the alternate
stream, and it played fine on the car speakers.

Back home I tried developer tools on Firefox, and got its URL, but it is
an impossible one:

<https://22673.live.streamtheworld.com/CADENASER_ALT1AAC.aac?csegid=REDACTED>

"REDACTED" is a very long stream that the news server thinks is binary
and refuses my post.

which I can open on a new Firefox tab and it plays fine.

On <https://emisoras.cadenaser.com/> there is no mention of this
alternate stream. There is this entry:

Mount Point /internet2A M3U XSPF

Stream Name: Cadena SER ALT2
Stream Description: Cadena SER ALT2
Content Type: audio/mpeg
Stream started: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 03:16:19 +0100
Bitrate: 75
Listeners (current): 0
Listeners (peak): 0
Genre: various
Currently playing:

There is no "Stream URL" entry as on the other stations. The M3U file
contains:

http://emisoras.cadenaser.com:8085/internet2A

which doesn't play. This: <http://emisoras.cadenaser.com/internet2A>
would make sense, but doesn't play.

AH!

This one works:

<https://22673.live.streamtheworld.com/CADENASER_ALT1AAC.aac>

But I have no guarantee the link will be the same another day. I will
put it on Open Radio, to try.

Why do they have to do things this complicated? They do not want people
to listen via internet unless we open the web page and eat the visual
commercials — which I don't, the page is so heavy on adds that the
tablet or phone is overloaded without UBlock Origin. And once I start
the play, I put FF in background.

Oh, the link always starts with an audio commercial that doesn't come
from the station itself, but from another entity. Always the same
commercial. You pause the play for some time, start it again, and the
advert plays again, spoiling the fun of the radio.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 4:45:54 PM11/29/23
On 2023-11-29 21:16, Wally J wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote
>
>>> But the _main_ messaging app on Android (for SMS/MMS) does not (as far as I
>>> know but I don't know if RCS changes that equation).
>>
>> No.
>>
>> There is no need, the app only gets the messages sent by the provider to
>> that phone number. There is a password, mind: the SIM card PIN number
>> (ok, it can be blanked).
>
> Thanks for clarifying that RCS doesn't add any extra account requirement.
>
>> Things change when you want to read/write messages on the computer; they
>> can use an authorization by taking a photo with the phone of a dot
>> pattern on the computer, but if the computer has independent access, it
>> needs a login/pass.
>
> I use a computer all the time to manage my Android phone, and all I have to
> do is accept the "trust challenge" which takes on a variety of forms.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/ZK9B82gP/adb15.jpg> adb pair [IP][Port] [code]
> <https://i.postimg.cc/SRRXtvKh/adb16.jpg> Android 12 Wireless Pairing
> <https://i.postimg.cc/CLWZmJT3/adb17.jpg> Allow wireless debugging

502 Bad Gateway

on most photos.

> There's no need to "log into" any account to "manage" my phone on a PC.
>
> Hell, I can install and delete apps and modify settings, and everything.
> <https://i.postimg.cc/wvsbcNBz/scrcpy05.jpg> Drag APK from Windows
>
> Since none of that needs an account to be created, I have to wonder what on
> earth on an Android phone truly "requires" an account to be created.
>
> Of course, billions of apps _want_ an account - but that's a completely
> different question of wanting you to create one versus actually needing it.
>

>>> That means I don't need an "account" to log into but of course, the phone
>>> itself is tied to an account on T-Mobile (or Verizon, AT&T, etc.). The
>>> MMS/SMS "messaging" app goes through them, but there isn't a login, per se.
>>
>> There is a login, only that you don't notice it.
>
> Yes. Let's not get picky (we'll leave that to the iPhone people to play
> those games). Suffice to say nobody is getting cellular service for free,
> and everyone who is getting it has an account of some format.
>
> Although it's created with the credit card, in my case anyway, and there's
> no login (although if I wanted to get billing paperless their would be).

Your "login" is your phone identifying itself to your provider via its
phone number and some other codes. And at some point you have to enter
the SIM PIN.

>>> As for "Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress", why
>>> can't you store that stuff locally on the phone itself?
>>
>> Of course you can, but the point is "across devices".
>
> Hmmm... true. But not really. If you're good at computers, you can sync to
> your own computers. Why do you need to sync to someone else's computer?

Confort, easy of use. Why should I bother putting my own computer online
on internet (it must be internet, not my LAN), with some daemon. Not
everybody can do that. And it costs money.

> My problem with OwnCloud is that it really doesn't run on Windows.
> So I'd have to set up a desktop as a Linux server to use it fruitfully.
>
>> In the case of "radio apps" you get the same list of favourites or saved
>> stations on your different phones, "automatically".
>>
>> Those things can be, theoretically be saved on google servers (google
>> drive) with a google account (I don't know the requirements), or at some
>> server of the application provider.
>
> I haven't set up my own server, but the way I'd approach that problem set,
> if I wanted to implement it, would be to set up my router on the net.
>
> Then I could use my own router as the OwnCloud server and accomplish what
> you're seeking. As always, it takes intelligence & effort to maintain
> privacy. I haven't expended that effort. But that's how I'd do it if I did.

An effort I refuse to undertake. And a privacy leak that is perfectly
ignorable. Thy don't get any information that I care about. And yes, I'm
not stupid, it is a conscious choice, I am very well aware of what it
entails and I choose to do it this way. They offer a service and I
accept it freely in sound mind.

>> And it can be absolutely innocent. You save your configuration/status,
>> and they never ever have a peek at it or use it for anything at all. It
>> is just some feature that in many apps is optional.
>>
>> Some developers only want to know how many people use the feature, or
>> how many subscribe per month. Ie, statistics of some sort.
>
> Understood that the account need can be innocent - but - you know as well
> as I do that plenty of things ask for an account that don't really need it.

If it is really really really no needed, then I can say "no". As I say
"no" to register to the radio station to listen to their streams. Life
would be far easier using their app, which demands registration, and I
say no. Radio listening has always been anonymous and I keep it.

See? There are limits. On this I see a privacy limit being crossed and I
react.

Another conscious choice taken with me free will taken in sound mind.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 29, 2023, 4:48:44 PM11/29/23
On 2023-11-29 18:51, Wally J wrote:
> candycanearter07 <n...@thanks.net> wrote
>
>>> What types of functionality _requires_ an account anyway?
>>
>> Messaging, Inventory, saving your settings, keeping track of progress.
>> At least those are the main stuff I see accounts used for.
>>
>> oh and of course buying stuff for it
>
> The only things that need accounts are stuff that requires data on the
> cloud, or compute power on the cloud - but they're few & far between.
>
> SMS/MMS messaging, as far as I know, does not require creating an account
> to log into on the phone (although, of course, it requires a carrier SIM).
>
> Certainly all the messaging that goes through servers requires an account,
> such as Apple's Messages, Facebook's WhatsApp, Google Voice, etc.
>
> Inventory? Why can't inventory be stored on the phone?
> Settings saved? What's wrong with saving them to the phone?
> Progress? Again, what's wrong with saving them to the phone.

That we want them to be the same on any of our phones and tablets, easy
and in comfort. It is a conscious choice with sound mind taken with our
free will.

We already said this. We have said this years ago, yet you keep
hammering at it.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Newyana2

Nov 29, 2023, 7:02:21 PM11/29/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

Wally J

Nov 29, 2023, 8:21:23 PM11/29/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

> We already said this. We have said this years ago, yet you keep
> hammering at it.

We never "hammered" this question, which is what _requires_ an account, by
its very nature (an account being a login/password on an Internet server).

Email is one example.
Radio is not.

The list of what requires an account by its very nature is extremely short.
--
The number of accounts people have is inversely proportional to their IQ.

candycanearter07

Nov 29, 2023, 11:40:25 PM11/29/23
Is it an older car? Most current cars have a built in screen instead of
a solo radio, which would be hard/impossible to remove and would
probably destroy something.

Newyana2

Nov 30, 2023, 9:40:29 AM11/30/23
"candycanearter07" <n...@thanks.net> wrote

| > I would nominate an alternate solution: I replaced
| > my car radio with a small storage cabinet that I made
| > to fit the opening. I don't have a computer in the car
| > and don't turn on my cellphone most of the time...
| > Very peaceful, and no logins. :)
|
| Is it an older car? Most current cars have a built in screen instead of
| a solo radio, which would be hard/impossible to remove and would
| probably destroy something.

It had a screen but that didn't do much other
than control the radio. What I removed was basically
a big, blocky radio and CD player. I think I got in under
the wire. All it took was a few screws and pulling some
plugs to give me extra real estate in the dashboard.

I expect you're right about newer cars. You can
probably unplug the screen box, but if you're controlling
things like heat on a touchpad screen then you'd lose
critical functionality.

I'm hoping that I won't need to buy a new car.
The spying. The superfluous complexity. The extra
nags. I hate to think of how expensive repairs are
going to be. For example, the $42K repair for a
Rivian bumper:

https://www.theautopian.com/heres-why-that-rivian-r1t-repair-cost-42000-after-just-a-minor-fender-bender/

And how long will the sensors and computer chips
be available? I'm hoping that if I ever need another car
it will be after this Rube Goldberg mania and it won't
have a massager in the arm rest or a built-in, bossy
lady telling me that I'm not driving the proper route
to my destination. :)

Carlos E. R.

Nov 30, 2023, 9:53:05 AM11/30/23
On 2023-11-30 02:21, Wally J wrote:
> "Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote
>
>> We already said this. We have said this years ago, yet you keep
>> hammering at it.
>
> We never "hammered" this question, which is what _requires_ an account, by
> its very nature (an account being a login/password on an Internet server).
>
> Email is one example.
> Radio is not.

We told you.

Radio does, for the feature of having the same favourites and settings
across all the devices with the same account.

It is optional. You want harmonization across devices, then register and
login. You don't want it, then don't register.

> The list of what requires an account by its very nature is extremely short.

No, it isn't.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

Carlos E. R.

Nov 30, 2023, 9:54:55 AM11/30/23
I think that in Europe there is some kind of standardization. I don't
know what it covers.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

candycanearter07

Nov 30, 2023, 10:17:55 AM11/30/23
Most industries seem to be going that way, not just cars.

Wally J

Nov 30, 2023, 11:31:09 AM11/30/23
"Carlos E. R." <robin_...@es.invalid> wrote

>> The list of what requires an account by its very nature is extremely short.
>
> No, it isn't.

The evidence for or against that claim is in the number of functionalities
that absolutely require an account to be created on someone else's server.

Since you can't list anything more - and neither can I - not only do we
have our answer ex post facto, but that means we don't need to delve any
further because the lack of any _is_ likely the correct answer after all.
--
Always following what marketing wants is what leads the sheep to slaughter.

Newyana2

Nov 30, 2023, 1:13:48 PM11/30/23
"candycanearter07" <n...@thanks.net> wrote

| > And how long will the sensors and computer chips
| > be available? I'm hoping that if I ever need another car
| > it will be after this Rube Goldberg mania and it won't
| > have a massager in the arm rest or a built-in, bossy
| > lady telling me that I'm not driving the proper route
| > to my destination. :)
|
| Most industries seem to be going that way, not just cars.

Yes. Many people want those features. I once knew a
developer of the Android OS who told me that his dream was
to have a cellphone tht would tell him what to do, so that
he wouldn't have to relate to such things as running
out of milk and bread. Those are the people designing these
devices. And much of the public wants the pizzazz.

I'm curious what Rivian drivers pay for insurance.

The Real Bev

Nov 30, 2023, 11:27:18 PM11/30/23
The dumbing down of the world, especially the US. How are we going to
produce enough smart people to keep it running?

--
Cheers, Bev
"Don't force it, use a bigger hammer!"

Joerg Lorenz

Dec 1, 2023, 1:45:27 AM12/1/23
My goodness! Is this subthread the congregation of the nations's idiots?

--
Sent with Betterbird by a Penguin.
Simply better. www.betterbird.eu

asdsdfghj dfghj (Samanta)

Dec 1, 2023, 5:10:57 AM12/1/23

Carlos E. R.

Dec 1, 2023, 5:28:22 AM12/1/23
By importing them, as always :-D

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

The Real Bev

Dec 1, 2023, 11:32:35 AM12/1/23
On 12/1/23 2:28 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2023-12-01 05:27, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>
>>> Most industries seem to be going that way, not just cars.
>>
>> The dumbing down of the world, especially the US.  How are we going to
>> produce enough smart people to keep it running?
>
> By importing them, as always :-D

From Mars?

--
Cheers, Bev
I bought a tape called "Subliminal Advertising"

Carlos E. R.

Dec 1, 2023, 1:49:35 PM12/1/23
On 2023-12-01 17:32, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 12/1/23 2:28 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

>>> The dumbing down of the world, especially the US.  How are we going
>>> to produce enough smart people to keep it running?
>>
>> By importing them, as always :-D
>
> From Mars?

Einstein was from Europe, to name just one.

Many current scientists and engineers come from Asia.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

The Real Bev

Dec 1, 2023, 6:55:16 PM12/1/23
A few others, of course. No big names...

> Many current scientists and engineers come from Asia.

Given the spread of American junk food and "music", how far behind can
our educational system be?

--
Cheers, Bev
Is the Pope Catholic? Do bears shit in the woods?

Carlos E. R.

Dec 1, 2023, 7:29:03 PM12/1/23
I don't know about the American education system, but I know about the
Canadian one first hand, and it is wonderful for those that want to
benefit from it. Specially newcomers do, we found the local system
wonderfully better than those we left behind.

--
Cheers,
Carlos E.R.

The Real Bev

Dec 1, 2023, 8:29:41 PM12/1/23
Here (Kalifornia) children in wealthy neighborhoods do OK because the
entire community knows the value of education and makes sure their
children get one. Not so much in lower-middle-class and lower
neighborhoods. Or even middle-class neighborhoods.

The really smart kids will probably do well (captains of industry, drug
kingpins, whatever...) but the other 95% are in deep shit.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's too bad stupidity isn't painful." - A. S. LaVey