Adding hands-free VOICE INPUT (by default!) to outgoing SMS texting

1 view

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 6:00:14 PM12/18/15
Voice to text is a critical feature for hands-free on Android,
but I can't find a hands free method of getting voice to text!

I just tried the terrible app "Voice Keyboard by MicroFuture"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.MicroFuture.VoiceInput

But it was a dismal failure.

The great news is that it brought up a huge red microphone button
for the text field of the outgoing SMS text, but everything after
that was bad.

Good: It brings up a huge red voice button instead of a keyboard.
Bad: You still have to "press" the big red mic button.
Bad: You can't make the red mic go away to type when you need to type.
REALLY BAD: It doesn't work (nothing gets placed in the text box).

So, that app was an utter and dismal fail.

But, is there a better voice to text app out there for outgoing
SMS messages where the goal is to just click the yellow SMS
app icon for any particular person you're already texting with
and all you have to do is start talking.

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 6:16:31 PM12/18/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 23:00:14 +0000, Oscar wrote:

> Voice to text is a critical feature for hands-free on Android,
> but I can't find a hands free method of getting voice to text!

I just tried this "Voice Text", by Matthew Rice
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthew.rice.voice.text

Good: It seems to send messages *totally* by voice (no buttons to press).
Good: At least it works.
Bad: It seems to *replace* (instead of augment) the default yellow-&-white SMS app
Bad: Internet connection required to use most features
Bad: You *can't* also press buttons and contacts if you want to.

So, I'll try another.

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 6:27:12 PM12/18/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 23:00:14 +0000, Oscar wrote:

> Voice to text is a critical feature for hands-free on Android,
> but I can't find a hands free method of getting voice to text!

This also failed.

SMS by Voice, by UsefullApps
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.usefullapps.voice

Good: It seems to work in that it eventually sends an SMS text.
Good: It has huge buttons for just what you need buttons for (Yay!)
Bad: Seems to replace the default yellow-&-white-envelope SMS app.
Bad: Obnoxious ads really get in the way (like you can't believe).
Bad: Very slow to start up (which is too slow for something common like SMS).

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 6:38:05 PM12/18/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 23:00:14 +0000, Oscar wrote:

> Voice to text is a critical feature for hands-free on Android,
> but I can't find a hands free method of getting voice to text!

It seems there are two types of voice-to-text adjuncts.

1. The type that interfaces into the default SMS app <== that's what I want
2. The type that *replaces* the default SMS app <== I guess it's ok if it works.

I just tried another *replacement* sms app that purports to be
voice to text, and, while it works, it's still sub par.

Write SMS by voice, by Team2E
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.vsms&hl=en

Good: Seems to work and has big buttons somewhat easy to find.
Good: Allows you to type when you want to type something
Bad: You still have to press buttons, even if they are bigger buttons.
Bad: Seems to replace the default yellow-&-white-envelope SMS app.
Bad: Cluttered interface with ads is too confusing for a simple SMS app.

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 6:47:28 PM12/18/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 23:00:14 +0000, Oscar wrote:

> Voice to text is a critical feature for hands-free on Android,
> but I can't find a hands free method of getting voice to text!

All I really want is to switch the default keyboard in the default
yellow-and-white-sms-envelope app from keyboard to microphone!

You'd think that would be *easy* to find!

Anyway, this app was an utter and dismal fail right now.
It's a WTF kind of moment, when the app turns out to be something
entirely different than what it's billed as.

Voice To Text, by DesignCloud24
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.designcloud24apps.voicetotext

Bad: Despite the description, it seems to be a language *translation* app! (WTF?)
Bad: Overly obnoxious ads.
Bad: Overly obnoxious exit steps.

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 7:00:15 PM12/18/15
What I really want is so simple, it's frustrating not to be able
to find it on Google Play.

1. The default SMS app defaults to *mic* input (instead of keyboard input!).
2. Big buttons for [Mic]/[Keyboard].

Why that simple GUI is impossible to find is beyond me.

Anyway, I ran into another oddity as these two apps appear to be exact
duplicate apps, under two entirely different names.

Text by Voice, By TUOGOL
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tuogol.textbyvoice

Odd: Seems to be a carbon copy of the "Voice Text" by Matthew Rice.
Bug: When it thinks it has the right set of contacts to choose from, it
won't let you get out of the GUI even if *all* its suggested contacts
are wrong!
Good: It seems to send messages *totally* by voice (no buttons to press).
Good: At least it works.
Bad: It seems to *replace* (instead of augment) the default yellow-&-white SMS app
Bad: Internet connection required to use most features
Bad: You *can't* also press buttons and contacts if you want to.
Voice Text by Matthew Rice
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthew.rice.voice.text

Odd: Seems to be a carbon copy of the "Text by Voice" by Tuogol.
Good: It seems to send messages *totally* by voice (no buttons to press).
Good: At least it works.
Bad: It seems to *replace* (instead of augment) the default yellow-&-white SMS app
Bad: Internet connection required to use most features
Bad: You *can't* also press buttons and contacts if you want to.

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 7:42:42 PM12/18/15
I found an app that (sort of) does what I want, kind'of.

What I want is just two VERY SIMPLE things for *sending* SMS texts:

1. The text input field should *default* to voice input!
2. It should be a *large button* to switch between mic & keyboard!

That's all I really want.

This app below, sort of does that, but via an entire app on the front
end of the default SMS app.

Voice To Text for Multi-Apps, by dalianhank
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.voicetotext.android

Odd: This app has a different approach; it's a front end to the SMS app.
Odd: You can't *address* the SMS (you can only *compose* the message).
Bad: You have to press a button first, just to speak.
Good: The button for Speak is at least reasonably large <== important
Good: But, once you speak, it's pretty good at composing the message.
Odd: Then you press "SendSMS" which brings you to the default SMS app
Good: At least the "SendSMS" button is reasonably large <== important
Odd: Then you can use the default SMS app to *address* the message
Bad: Too many extraneous buttons for stuff I don't want or need.

Big Al

Dec 18, 2015, 7:56:59 PM12/18/15
You know, posting messages and repeating your objective is really not needed. We got that from your initial post. All
you need to do is tell us your progress.

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 7:58:25 PM12/18/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 23:00:14 +0000, Oscar wrote:

> Voice to text is a critical feature for hands-free on Android,
> but I can't find a hands free method of getting voice to text!

If I knew how to code for Android, my SMS app use model would be simple!

You receive a text message and you read it and then wish to respond...

A. The "Enter Message" field *defaults* to microphone input!
===> this is the most critical of the missing steps! <===
(if you need to type, there should be a large Mic/Kbd cyclic button!)

B. You speak your message (which is then converted to text)...
(optionally, the text can be said back to you for doublechecking)

C. You press a large SEND button to send the SMS text.
(or you just tell it verbally to send the message)
(it verbally confirms that the message was sent).

This is so universal a need, that it's disappointing and frustrating that
I can't find a single SMS app that uses this simple and obvious use model.

If I could just find a keyboard that *defaults* to microphone input,
that would go a long way toward solving the hands-free usability problem.

If the "hands-free" option in Android actually did what you'd expect
it to do, that would work also.

But, I can't find anything close to this simple use model:
a. Default to mic input (but allow keyboard switching with a big button).
b. Send with a big button.

Can you find something close to this?

Oscar

Dec 18, 2015, 8:09:53 PM12/18/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:57:01 -0500, Big Al wrote:

> You know, posting messages and repeating your objective is not needed.
> We got that from your initial post.
> All you need to do is tell us your progress.

Just got this suggestion.
Thanks for the advice.

The progress, so far, is that, of all the apps tested, only two come
close to the simple goals of simplifying voice-to-text for outgoing
SMS messages, each doing it an entirely different way.

I'll test these two apps further (all the rest I uninstalled as failures).
a. Front end to the default SMS:
Voice To Text for Multi-Apps, by dalianhank
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.voicetotext.android

b. Replacement SMS app:
Voice Text, by Matthew Rice
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthew.rice.voice.text

What I really wanted was just a keyboard that did only three things different:
1. It defaulted to voice input (which could be a basic yes/no setting, of course)
2. It had a large cyclic button to switch between mic & keyboard
3. It had a large send button (or verbal send)

You'd think *everyone* would want those three simple (obvious) things.

Big Al

Dec 18, 2015, 8:23:49 PM12/18/15
I know your pain. I was trying to find something and I'm sure I installed 10. Frustrating isn't it! They sound good
but... My problem most of the apps would not stick. The change was temp as the manufacturer's default would
overwrite after a bit. Ugh.

Oscar

Dec 19, 2015, 2:30:55 AM12/19/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 20:23:52 -0500, Big Al wrote:

> I know your pain. I was trying to find something and I'm sure I
> installed 10. Frustrating isn't it! They sound good
> but... My problem most of the apps would not stick.
> The change was temp as the manufacturer's default would
> overwrite after a bit. Ugh.

It's shocking how much of the very basics isn't there sometimes.
What I want is the most basic of hands-free capabilities.

There's a setting for "handsfree" in Android 4.3 settings, but,
I can't figure out much of what it actually accomplishes for
SMS text, if anything.

Settings > My device > Hands-free mode = on
Incoming calls and new notifications will be read out automatically.

Mike Yetto

Dec 19, 2015, 9:35:59 AM12/19/15
So it is writ by Oscar <os...@notme.invalid>,
so mote it be.
> Voice to text is a critical feature for hands-free on Android,
> but I can't find a hands free method of getting voice to text!

Have you tried saying "Ok, Google"? Then pause before saying
"Send text message." You should be asked who to send the message
to and what the message is.

Mike "check Voice Search for the setup" Yetto
--
"I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the
thoughtless approval of the masses."

Oscar

Dec 19, 2015, 3:49:36 PM12/19/15
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:32:02 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

> Have you tried saying "Ok, Google"? Then pause before saying
> "Send text message." You should be asked who to send the message
> to and what the message is.
>
> Mike "check Voice Search for the setup" Yetto

Yeah. That stinks. The whole "Siri/OK Google" strategy is just fine
for handing it "thinking commands" (e.g., what is the diameter of
the earth" because it's mainly good for looking up stuff on the web.

"OK Google" is a *lousy* way to just text.

Think of it this way:
Part I Question: If you need to fix your car, what do you prefer?
a. Do you prefer all in one do-everything contraptions?
b. Or do you have dedicated (rock-simple) wrenches & screwdrivers?
Part II Question: Which do the job better?

Me?
I prefer a *dedicated* SMS tool that just does the simple job.
All I'm asking for is:

1. MANDATORY: Have a setting to default either to Mic or Keyboard.
(I'd set mine for MIC but I'd understand if you set yours to KEYBOARD).
2. OPTIONAL: Make the SWITCH between MIC/KBD big (not teenytiny as it is now).
3. OPTIONAL: Have a setting to default to reading back before sending.
4. OPTIONAL: Have a setting to send immediately or confirm to send.
5. MANDATORY: Make sending easy (big button and/or verbal confirmation).

This is so basic a need that it's utterly shocking that I can't find
this in *any* SMS app yet!

I'm still testing the two best bets though.

A. Front end to the default SMS text app (id=com.voicetotext.android)
B. Replacement verbal SMS text app (id=com.voicetotext.android)

If anyone out there in the entire Android world has voice-to-text
outgoing SMS working, please let me know what you use to do it
because I can't figure it out yet.

Mike Yetto

Dec 19, 2015, 4:35:58 PM12/19/15
So it is writ by Oscar <os...@notme.invalid>,
so mote it be.
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 09:32:02 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

>> Have you tried saying "Ok, Google"? Then pause before saying
>> "Send text message." You should be asked who to send the message
>> to and what the message is.
>>
>> Mike "check Voice Search for the setup" Yetto

> Yeah. That stinks. The whole "Siri/OK Google" strategy is just fine
> for handing it "thinking commands" (e.g., what is the diameter of
> the earth" because it's mainly good for looking up stuff on the web.

> "OK Google" is a *lousy* way to just text.

> Think of it this way:
> Part I Question: If you need to fix your car, what do you prefer?
> a. Do you prefer all in one do-everything contraptions?
> b. Or do you have dedicated (rock-simple) wrenches & screwdrivers?
> Part II Question: Which do the job better?

If I need to put an extender on a socket for a specific function
I'll do it. So why shouldn't I chain an existing app to extend
the capability of another existing app?

> Me?
> I prefer a *dedicated* SMS tool that just does the simple job.
> All I'm asking for is:

You are asking for an app that does more than the single function
of sending a text message. You are asking for a (not quite)
all-in-one app that will understand spoken language, accurately
transcribe it and then continue on with its base function.

Your specifications seem to be in contention with your dedicated
tool philosophy.

> 1. MANDATORY: Have a setting to default either to Mic or Keyboard.
> (I'd set mine for MIC but I'd understand if you set yours to KEYBOARD).
> 2. OPTIONAL: Make the SWITCH between MIC/KBD big (not teenytiny as it is now).
> 3. OPTIONAL: Have a setting to default to reading back before sending.
> 4. OPTIONAL: Have a setting to send immediately or confirm to send.
> 5. MANDATORY: Make sending easy (big button and/or verbal confirmation).

> This is so basic a need that it's utterly shocking that I can't find
> this in *any* SMS app yet!

> I'm still testing the two best bets though.

> A. Front end to the default SMS text app (id=com.voicetotext.android)
> B. Replacement verbal SMS text app (id=com.voicetotext.android)

> If anyone out there in the entire Android world has voice-to-text
> outgoing SMS working, please let me know what you use to do it
> because I can't figure it out yet.

When I use this method the text is sent with my default messaging
app (MySMS) which then syncs with the same app on my wi-fi only
tablet and my Linux laptop.

However, based on your stated requirements and what you've
rejected so far I would suggest an actual living personal
assistant.

Mike "don't know which keyboard is what you want" Yetto
--
"I believe that clear-minded people should remain two things throughout
their lifetimes: curious and teachable."

Oscar

Dec 19, 2015, 4:45:59 PM12/19/15
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 16:30:42 -0500, Mike Yetto wrote:

> Your specifications seem to be in contention with your
> dedicated tool philosophy.

Fair enough.

If I had only *one* thing to *improve* on *all* the keyboards
used for outgoing SMS texts, just ask for a setting that allows
us to change the default:
Settings > default to voice or keyboard? = voice dammit!

What's so hard about having a setting to default either to
the mic or keyboard for text input?

Is there an easy way to *ask* Google for this setting?

Oscar

Dec 19, 2015, 6:32:52 PM12/19/15
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 07:30:55 +0000, Oscar wrote:

> It's shocking how much of the very basics isn't there sometimes.
> What I want is the most basic of hands-free capabilities.

Another fail just now ...

[FAIL]

TalkBox Voice Messenger - PTT by TalkBox Limited
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gtomato.talkbox&hl=en
Bad: Requires registration and a login account (why?)
Good: Will take completely bogus registration information though.
Bad: Requires linking all your contacts to registration on the net.

Oscar

Dec 19, 2015, 6:33:21 PM12/19/15
On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 20:23:52 -0500, Big Al wrote:

> I know your pain. I was trying to find something and I'm sure I installed 10.

Yet another fail...

ShoutOUT Speech-to-text, by Promptu Systems Corporation
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.promptu.shoutout
Bad: We're sorry but your Android handset is not supported by ShoutOUT.

Mike Yetto

Dec 19, 2015, 9:11:58 PM12/19/15
So it is writ by Oscar <os...@notme.invalid>,
so mote it be.
It exists on my HTC One and my Samsung Note-8.

Mike "look first then complain" Yetto
--
"The existing scientific concepts cover always only a very limited part
of reality, and the other part that has not yet been understood is

tlvp

Dec 20, 2015, 12:02:50 AM12/20/15
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 21:05:41 -0500, Mike Yetto responded to:

>> Is there an easy way to *ask* Google for this setting?

writing:

> It exists on my HTC One and my Samsung Note-8.

See, it's one thing to know "it exists" on two of your machines. It's
something else again to know where to find "it" on one's own machine.

Kinda like being assured a certain large integer is a composite, versus
knowing its prime factorization :-) .

At least tell the poor schlemiel where you find "it" on your machines :-) .

Cheers, -- tlvp

Mike Yetto

Dec 20, 2015, 11:00:04 AM12/20/15
So it is writ by tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net>,
so mote it be.
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 21:05:41 -0500, Mike Yetto responded to:

>>> Is there an easy way to *ask* Google for this setting?

> writing:

>> It exists on my HTC One and my Samsung Note-8.

> See, it's one thing to know "it exists" on two of your machines. It's
> something else again to know where to find "it" on one's own machine.

> Kinda like being assured a certain large integer is a composite, versus
> knowing its prime factorization :-) .

> At least tell the poor schlemiel where you find "it" on your machines :-) .

Rather than assuming that we are dealing with a poor schlemiel
who never looked at the settings for "Language and input",
"Language & keyboard", or the equivalent on his phone when
searching for a keyboard I just addressed the existence of the
setting he wanted to ask Google to provide.

Mike "you, apparently, have him lower in your estimation" Yetto
--
"I don't care which god or rule book makes you act like an asshole. If
you act like an asshole, then people are allowed to call you one."

Joe Beanfish

Dec 21, 2015, 10:10:01 AM12/21/15
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:09:53 +0000, Oscar wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Dec 2015 19:57:01 -0500, Big Al wrote:
>
>> You know, posting messages and repeating your objective is not needed.
>> We got that from your initial post.
>> All you need to do is tell us your progress.
> What I really wanted was just a keyboard that did only three things different:
> 1. It defaulted to voice input (which could be a basic yes/no setting, of course)
> 2. It had a large cyclic button to switch between mic & keyboard
> 3. It had a large send button (or verbal send)

The "keyboard" is only used for inputting into text areas etc. it has no
control over the other buttons of an app. So I don't believe you're going
to find any keyboard that drives the default text app. You should focus
on looking for a texting app that is voice controlled. Or something that
will let you drive the whole phone by voice (if that's even possible).

Not sure why you rejected google-now and "ok google" (in another msg). You
don't have to use all of it's features, only the ones that get the desired
job done. I have no idea how good it is for doing what you want but
dismissing it because it can do other stuff too seems odd.

tlvp

Dec 22, 2015, 1:39:36 AM12/22/15
On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:09:53 -0000 (UTC), we again saw Oscar's ... :

> ... goals of simplifying voice-to-text for outgoing
> SMS messages, ...

Eye cancel wye Hugh won't two dew foistu tax mess a ching wile datekan
hollow geez still so dab.

Or are you prepared to waste a lot of time (behind the wheel?) editing
things back into shape :-) ?

Mike Yetto

Dec 22, 2015, 10:00:03 AM12/22/15
So it is writ by tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net>,
so mote it be.
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:09:53 -0000 (UTC), we again saw Oscar's ... :

>> ... goals of simplifying voice-to-text for outgoing
>> SMS messages, ...

> Eye cancel wye Hugh won't two dew foistu tax mess a ching wile datekan
> hollow geez still so dab.

> Or are you prepared to waste a lot of time (behind the wheel?) editing
> things back into shape :-) ?

Good point. However, I think with better speech recognition the
more likely outcome is that the radio station you're listening to
will be transcribed into the message.

Mike "the news on the radio kept recording videos with my phone" Yetto
--
"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that
there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof"

Frank Slootweg

Dec 22, 2015, 3:08:39 PM12/22/15
tlvp <mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:09:53 -0000 (UTC), we again saw Oscar's ... :
>
> > ... goals of simplifying voice-to-text for outgoing
> > SMS messages, ...
>
> Eye cancel wye Hugh won't two dew foistu tax mess a ching wile datekan
> hollow geez still so dab.
>
> Or are you prepared to waste a lot of time (behind the wheel?) editing
> things back into shape :-) ?

Exactly!

Case in point: Telstra, the major Australian telco, has a system which
turns voice-mail into an SMS message. The results are often hilarious
and most of the time totally useless. And that's done by A Big Machine
at their end, and yet the OP wants to dp the same on a tiny 'smart'
phone?

Oscar

Dec 22, 2015, 5:17:20 PM12/22/15
On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 20:08:37 +0000, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> yet the OP wants to dp the same on a tiny 'smart'
> phone?

I've found Siri and Google both stink for voice to text accuracy
but whatever "engine" they use in that Voicetotext front end to
the default SMS app seems *much* faster & more accurate.

I hadn't realized they might be using my Internet connect to
do the compute power though. How can I tell?