How do we turn OFF the "secret" permissions that some apps apparently have?

Arlen Holder

Jul 7, 2020, 5:24:30 PM7/7/20
How do we turn OFF the "secret" permissions that some apps apparently have?

1. I installed this app yesterday as per a prior thread:
o *App Inspector*, by Ubqsoft [free, no ads, GSF independent]
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubqsoft.sec01>
"Lists installed applications & shows various information about them."

2. I chose an app that most people already have, but if they don't, it's:
o *Calculator*, by Google [free]
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.calculator>
"A simple calculator utility for Android"

3. In "App Inspector", I looked at "Calculator" permissions, which are:
o 5 permissions
o 3 receivers

The five permissions are: (bolded items are in red, otherwise blue)
a. view network connections [*granted*,normal,instant]
b. measure app storage space [*granted*,normal]
c. have full network access [*granted*,normal,instant]
d. prevent phone from sleeping [*granted*,normal,instant]
e. read Google service configuration [*granted*,normal]

The three receivers are: (what the heck are these things?)
A. com.google.firebase.iid.FirebaseInstanceIdReceiver
B. com.google.android.gms.measurement.AppMeasurementReceiver
C. com.google.android.gms.measurement.AppMeasurementInstallReferrerReceiver

Given this is just a basic calculator, I don't see why it needs four of the
five permissions (it only might need to prevent the phone from sleeping).

But how do we turn them off?

You'd think the switch to turn them off would be in:
Android10: Settings > Apps & notifications > Advanced >
> "See all 305 apps" > "Calculator" > Advanced > Permissions

But that menu is grayed out for the Google default calculator.

How do we turn OFF the "secret" permissions that some apps apparently have?
--
Usenet is a wonderfully useful public potluck of helpful adult advice.