Anyone else wiping out the Android 12+ <com.google.mainline.telemetry> package?

Wally J

Nov 18, 2023, 4:00:35 PM11/18/23
Has anyone else wiped out the <com.google.mainline.telemetry> package?

Probably not. Most people are scared to touch Android. I'm not.
Anyway, if you wiped it out also, let me know if there are any negatives.

For another thread I was checking if the following Android 13+ packages
were re-added by Project Mainline (aka Google Play System update):
C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.mainline.adservices
C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.android.adservices.api

And while checking in MuntashirAkon, I saw an additional package:
<com.google.mainline.telemetry>

Looking it up before I blasted it away, it's been around since Android 12.
<https://cloud.google.com/service-infrastructure/docs/telemetry-reporting>

Apparently I'm not the first person to consider blowing it away...

<https://www.reddit.com/r/fossdroid/comments/uzp7ye/comgooglemainlinetelemetry_is_it_safe_to_remove/?rdt=56584>
"[It] is a set of metrics-related modules. Google Play uses the version
of the Telemetry module to determine [...] if updates are available for
metrics-related modules and which security patch version to display
to the end user. This module doesn't contain active code and has no
functionality on its own."

So I blew it away... I'll find out over time if it makes any difference.
C:\> adb shell pm uninstall --user 0 com.google.mainline.telemetry

Has anyone else wiped out the <com.google.mainline.telemetry> package?
Any after effects?
--
The beauty of Android is you learn how it works by breaking pieces of it.