What are the common settings to change on an Android 7.0 Nougat phone for privacy?

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 5:09:12 AM10/4/18
What are the main settings to change on an Android 7.0 phone for privacy?

It would be nice to pool our combined knowledge for the benefit of all.
The settings will differ by Android version (& sometimes by model).
Hence we may need to open separate threads per Android version.
My particular phone is an LG Stylo 3 Plus running Android 7.0.

I'll start the tribal knowledge with suggested "location" settings.

1. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Location >
Low power location estimation = off
Google Location History > Use Location History = off
Google Location Sharing = off

2. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Location > Mode
(_) High accuracy (GPS and networks)
(_) Battery saving (Networks only)
(o) Device sensors only (GPS only)

3. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Location > 3dot
Scanning > Wi-Fi scanning = off
Scanning > Bluetooth scanning = off

4. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Location > Mode
Location = off

The use model is to maintain the location above by default.
If/when you need to know where you are, temporarily turn on location.
Note that the default will unfortunately switch to "High accuracy".

To temporarily turn location on & off as needed:

A. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Location > Mode
Location = on
NOTE: This frustratingly defaults to "High accuracy" mode!
B. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Location > Mode
(_) High accuracy (GPS and networks)
(_) Battery saving (Networks only)
(o) Device sensors only (GPS only)
C. When done, turn off high-accuracy mode & then location mode!
Location = off

Please improve so that all benefit from every action.

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 5:29:05 AM10/4/18
It's perhaps best NOT to have a Google account on an Android phone.
(If you need email, you can use K9Mail instead of the Gmail app.)
(If you need apps, you never need Google Play if you're smart.)
(Or you can temporarily enable Google Play & then disable it.)

Please improve the information below so that all benefit.

Here are suggested privacy settings for "Accounts & sync".

If you wish to remove your Google Play account:
0. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Accounts & sync
Accounts > Google > {select your account} > 3dot > Remove account

If you wish to keep your Google Play account:
0. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Accounts & sync
Auto-sync data = on
NOTE: You need this temporarily on to turn off those below.
1. Accounts > Google > {select your account if it exists}
Calendar = off
Contacts = off
Docs = off
Drive = off
Gmail = off
Google Fit data = off
Google Play Movies & TV = off
Keep = off
People details = off
Play Games Cloud Save = off
Sheets = off
Slides = off
Timely = off
0. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Accounts & sync
Auto-sync data = off > Turn off

Please improve the information above so that all benefit.

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 5:39:26 AM10/4/18
On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 09:29:05 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> It's perhaps best NOT to have a Google account on an Android phone.
> (If you need email, you can use K9Mail instead of the Gmail app.)
> (If you need apps, you never need Google Play if you're smart.)
> (Or you can temporarily enable Google Play & then disable it.)

Philosophically, IMHO, it's best to NOT have a Google Play account on
Android, but if you feel you _must_ have a Google Play account on Android,
then philosophically, IMHO, it should _never_ be your "real" Google Account
(as defined, perhaps, by your desktop Google Email Account).

Notice the huge difference, philosophically!
A. If you use desktop Google Services, keep them _separate_ from Android!
B. If you _must_ have an Android Google Play account, keep it _separate_!

For example, let's assume you have a "Gmail" account as your main email.
1. On the desktop, you can use your main-email Gmail account.
2. On Android, for email, use any MUA other than the GMail MUA.
3. On Android, for apps, use any repository other than Google Play.
4. If you _must_ use Google Play, use a _separate_ Google Account!

Note this keeps Android accounts _separate_ from desktop accounts.

If you have a _better_ philosophy, please advise, where the specific
top-level goal in mind for this thread is "privacy while on Android".

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 6:18:14 AM10/4/18
*Google Services*

1. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Google services >
3dot > Clear app data > Clear app data? > OK
2. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Google services >
3dot > Usage & diagnostics > Off
3. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Google services >
3dot > Show debug items (turning this on adds the following)
"Google Account info, security & personalization"
4. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Google services >
Google Account info, security & personalization
[There are a billion settings to turn off here]
[There are too many settings to list them all]
[Obviously all personal information should be bogus]
Key things to turn off might be:
Home > Review your privacy settings > START NOW
a. Web & App Activity = (Paused)
b. Location History = (Paused)
c. Device Information = (Paused)
d. Voice & Audio Activity = (Paused)
e. YouTube Search History = (Paused)
f. YouTube Watch History = (Paused)
g. Shared endorsements = (Off)
h. Make ads more relevant to you = (Off)
i. Disable Chrome sync
j. Disable Google Drive
k. Disable Contact sync
l. Disable Maps timeline
m. Disable "Contcts info saved from interactions"
n. Disable location sharing with contacts
o. Disable shared endorsements
p. Disable ad personalization
q. Disable Google Play Protect (scanning of apps)
r. Disable Firebase App Indexing "Capture actions and errors"
s. Turn off:
[_]Help people who have your account number connect
with you across Google services
t. Turn off:
[_]Also help them find your name, photo, and other
information that you've made visible on Google.
u. Remove your phone number from your Google account.
v. Reset the advertising ID > OK (do this three times)
w. Opt out of Ads Personalization = yes (i.e., setting is off)
x. Enable debug logging for ads = off
y. App preview messages = off
z. Connected apps = off (turn off the device from Google)
etc.
(I gave up listing the myriad settings at this point.)

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 6:34:48 AM10/4/18
*Usage access*

Note: These are what showed up in my "Usage access" settings.
You may have a different set of apps showing up here.

1. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Privacy >
Fingerprints & security > Advanced Settings >
Usage access > 3dot > Show system (make sure this is on)
a. Google > Permit usage access = off
b. Google Play services > Permit usage access = off
c. Google Play Store > Permit usage access = off
d. Home & app drawer > Permit usage access = off
e. Network Monitor > Permit usage access = off
f. T-Mobile > Permit usage access = off

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 7:45:06 AM10/4/18
*Install Security Updates* (if any)
<https://www.android.com/security-center/>

0. Ensure your battery is reasonably charged
1. Check your current Android security path level
Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > About phone > Software info
Android version = 7.0
Android security patch level = date
2. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > About phone >
Update Center > System update >
Check for software updates and update your phone
Security update available > Download
3. Once any security update is downloaded & verified
Press "Restart Now"
4. You may have to repeat that process multiple times until you see
"Your system is up to date"

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 8:20:18 AM10/4/18
*Backup & reset*

1. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Backup & reset >
Reset > Collect diagnostics >
Device data collection = off
Issue assist = off
Personalized offers = off
NOTE: DO NOT CONSENT TO "DEVICE DATA COLLECTION"
when they ask in a big red button "ACCEPT"
2. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Backup & reset >
Google Backup > Back up my data = off
3. Settings > 3dot > Tab View > General > Backup & reset >
LG Backup > off
4. Before you do a factory reset, save all your APKs
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.usage.appbackup>
5. Before you do a factory reset, save your data
(this is something you'll normally do by default)
For example, assuming no external sdcard, just save "data0"
/sdcard0/data0/apk/{all your APKs go here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/appdata/{all your app data goes here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/audio/{all your audio files go here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/doc/{all your documents go here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/download/{all your downloads go here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/map/{all your map data goes here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/pic/{all your pictures go here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/txt/{all your text files go here by default}
/sdcard0/data0/vid/{all your videos go here by default}
For example, assuming an external sdcard, just save "data1"
/sdcard1/data1/apk/{all your APKs go here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/appdata/{all your app data goes here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/audio/{all your audio files go here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/doc/{all your documents go here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/download/{all your downloads go here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/map/{all your map data goes here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/pic/{all your pictures go here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/txt/{all your text files go here by default}
/sdcard1/data1/vid/{all your videos go here by default}

Note: If desired, after ensuring your data is saved by default,
you can also do a "factory data reset" and/or a
"network settings reset", both of which I recommend
you perform "periodically".

Personally, I reset factory data roughly about monthly, but
that's probably far too often for most people.
Yearly factory resets would seem reasonable for most people.
- Resets login data for all your accounts
- Resets system and app settings and their associated data
- Resets all downloaded apps (you already have APK copies!)
- Resets DRM licenses (there shouldn't be any needed)
- Resets images, audio, video, document files
- Plus lots of other user data resets

Note: Everyone has a *different* idea of what a "backup" means,
so I won't go there other than to note that if your
defaults are set up intelligently, a reset is trivial.

Please improve so that everyone benefits from every action.

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 9:54:52 AM10/4/18
*Google Play Store settings*

HELP: I don't normally have a Google Play account, so I need your
help to advise others how best to set up Google Play for privacy!

IMHO, if you've ever owned an Android phone for even a few months, there
should never be any good reason to have a Google Play Store account on any
Android phone, but if you insist on having a Google Play account, then we
should figure out how best to set that account up for privacy.

Please improve so all benefit from every action.

1. Start the Google "Play Store" app
2. Log in (as you should never be logged in, IMHO)
3. Hamburger > Settings > General >
Auto-update apps = (set this to your preferences)
(_)Over any network
(_)Over Wi-Fi only
(o)Do not auto-update apps.
4. Hamburger > Settings > General >
Clear local search history
5. Hamburger > Settings > General > Notifications
Updates [_] (set this to your desires)
Auto-updates [_] (set this to your desires)
6. Hamburger > Settings > User controls >
Google Play instant = none
Require authentication for purchases = For all purchases
7. Hamburger > Settings > Account >
(check the settings for your credit and email info)
8. Hamburger > Play Protect >
Scan device for security threats = (set this to your desires)
Improve harmful app detection = off
9. Hamburger > My apps & games > Updates >
For each app listed, decide if you wish to press [Update]

Please improve so all benefit from every action.

123456789

Oct 4, 2018, 12:10:26 PM10/4/18
On 10/4/2018 2:29 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:

> It's perhaps best NOT to have a Google account on an Android phone.
> (If you need email, you can use K9Mail instead of the Gmail app.)

I've tried using K9 Mail on my Amazon Fire tablet that runs the Fire OS
(approximately Android 5.x) and it works fine except for one problem. It
won't update the Gmail servers correctly. It will update "read" but not
"delete". So I put it on another non-Amazon Android tablet. Same
problem. K9's worked fine for me in the past with Gmail. Anyone have any
secret tweaks?

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 2:07:56 PM10/4/18
A key component of privacy is disabling anything having to do with google

Since it's assumed that the Google "Play Store" will not be enabled,
you can get apps from other repositories, at least for the first few
months that you own an Android phone (until you've amassed enough APKs
to no longer need _any_ repository).

To load apps from other repositories, you'll need these settings.
As always, please improve so all benefit from every action.

Enabling specific developer options on Android 7.0 Nougat LG Stylo 3 Plus
1. Allow apps outside of Google Play (e.g., copied APKs, F-Droid, etc.)
Settings > hamburger > General > Fingerprints & security >
Change from: Unknown source = off
Change to: Unknown source = on (allows APKs outside of Google Play)

Note: Free app APKs almost always work on any phone no matter the
operating system version or the user id that installed the free app
or from whence the free app was obtained.

Arlen Holder

Oct 4, 2018, 2:12:26 PM10/4/18
This is related to privacy only in so much as it enables easy backup
and recovery (e.g., before & after periodic factory reset procedures).

Enable MTP over USB for seamless file transfer between Android & a desktop
1. Make the "Developer options" menu visible (it's invisible by default):
Settings > General > About phone > Software info > Build number
Tap three times on "Build number" & it will then pop up the message...
"You are now 4 steps away from being a developer"
Tap 4 more times and it will say...
"You are now a developer."
This makes visible options such as the "Select USB Configuration"
which allows you to just plug your device into a Windows PC to slide
files back and forth across the visible file system.
2. Enable Windows to access the entire visible Android file system.
Enable "Developer options" first as shown in #2 above, & then go to...
Settings > General > Developer options > (OK the warning) >
NETWORKING > Select USB Configuration
Change the options from:
Charging only (o) <== the default
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) (_)
PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) (_)
RNDIS (USB Ethernet) (_)
Audio Source (_)
MIDI (_)
Change the options to:
Charging only (_) <== the default
MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) (o)
PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol) (_)
RNDIS (USB Ethernet) (_)
Audio Source (_)
MIDI (_)

Charging = Just charge this phone
File transfer = Transfer documents & media files to the connected device
Photo transfer = Transfer photos & videos to the connected device
MIDI device = Record and listen to music from the connected device

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2018, 11:36:10 AM10/8/18
I wish there was a better mail user agent (MUA) than K-9Mail on Android.

I feel it's best not to have any Google Account on an Android phone.
At least not after you've initially set up the phone with apps.

I also feel that Google Gmail accounts are pretty good as mail accounts go.
Hence my recommendation is twofold:
a. Once you have your apps, delete the initial bogus Google account
b. If you have a Gmail account, then use the best MUA you can find.

Since I usually _initially_ register an Android phone first with a bogus
Google Account (where I do the same on iOS but where, on iOS, you can't
subsequently delete that account and have no account, AFAIK), the "Gmail"
app *defaults* to that bogus initial account.

When you delete that bogus initial account, the Gmail app gets upset, from
what I recall (I haven't tested it recently because I don't use the Gmail
app on an Android phone).

I should note that you don't have to delete the bogus Google account since
that bogus Gmail app account is actually useful, since it allows you to
register on web sites, all of which accept a Gmail address.

Given the Gmail app is "already used" for the bogus account, we then have
to find a good mail user agent for Android.

Is K9Mail the best MUA for Android (other than the Gmail app)?
Many say it is but I, like you, find K9mail lacking.
* <https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.fsck.k9/<
* <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9>

What else is a good MUA for Android?
Android Authority: 10 best email apps for Android
<https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-email-apps-579368/>

Tom's Guide: 15 best email apps
<https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pictures-story/685-best-email-apps.html>

Slant: 17 best email apps for Android
<https://www.slant.co/topics/912/~best-e-mail-clients-for-android>

Addictive Tips: 8 Best Android email apps
<https://www.addictivetips.com/android/best-email-clients-for-android/>

Looking at those lists, we get, in alphabetical order... and counting only
the free apps...
o Astro Mail (Tomsguide)
o Blue Mail (Androidauthority), (Addictivetips)
o E-Mail Organized by Alto (Addictivetips)
o Edison Mail (Tomsguide)
o Google Gmail (Androidauthority), (Addictivetips), (Tomsguide)
o Google Inbox (Androidauthority)
o K-9 Mail (Androidauthority)
o MailWise (Androidauthority)
o MyMail (Androidauthority), (Addictivetips)
o Nine (Androidauthority)
o Outlook (Addictivetips), (Tomsguide)
o ProtonMail (Androidauthority), (Tomsguide)
o SamsungMail (Addictivetips)
o Trove (Tomsguide)
o Type Mail (Tomsguide)
o WeMail (Tomsguide)
o Yahoo Mail (Addictivetips)

123456789

Oct 8, 2018, 1:29:50 PM10/8/18
On 10/8/2018 8:36 AM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 09:10:26 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

>> I've tried using K9 Mail on my Amazon Fire tablet that runs the
>> Fire OS (approximately Android 5.x) and it works fine except for
>> one problem. It won't update the Gmail servers correctly.

> I wish there was a better mail user agent than K-9Mail on Android.

Me too. Used K9 Mail for years with Gmail. Especially liked being able
to read 6 lines of an email without opening it. Then scrolling through
the list reading them and being able to do a group delete. All things
the Gmail app can't do (yet?).

> I feel it's best not to have any Google Account on an Android phone.

To late for me since I've been using Gmail for years. Great service (IMO).

> a. Once you have your apps, delete the initial bogus Google account

I need my real Gmail account on my phone to access my Google Drive which
gives my phone instant access to my 60+ GB of data. My phone
memory/storage is just not that large... ;)

> Since I usually _initially_ register an Android phone first with a
> bogus Google Account (where I do the same on iOS but where, on iOS,
> you can't subsequently delete that account and have no account,
> AFAIK), the "Gmail" app *defaults* to that bogus initial account.

Sounds like a lot of work. My paranoia isn't quite that high.

> I should note that you don't have to delete the bogus Google account
> since that bogus Gmail app account is actually useful, since it
> allows you to register on web sites

I also have a bogus Gmail account for websites and news servers (which
feeds my real account) when I want to stay semi-anonymous.

> we then have to find a good mail user agent for Android.

I'm not sure what changed in the K9 Mail app or Gmail to produce that
one update bug but I've tried all the K9 versions I've backed up through
the years AND the Amazon App Store current version AND the current Play
Store version. All fail.

So I gave up and went back to using the current Gmail app. But thanks
for the info. I've saved it in case I have a change of heart...

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2018, 5:51:53 PM10/8/18
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:29:47 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

>> I feel it's best not to have any Google Account on an Android phone.
>
> To late for me since I've been using Gmail for years. Great service (IMO).

It's not too late, as I've been using a "Google Gmail Account" for years.
I do realize that my system was designed with a lot of forethought, in
order to maintain a modicum of separation between my "real" and "bogus"
Google Accounts --- whereas I realize most people likely simply mindlessly
click the defauilts on everything they do with both Android and Google.

Of course, the word "Gmail" means different things, so we have to be
careful to state which of those different things I mean, when I suggest
people can do without one but keep the other if they like:
o There is a "Gmail Email Account" which is usually set up outside Android
o There is a "Google Account" which Android sets up, by default
o There is a "Gmail App" MUA which handles multiple email accounts
Those three things may have official names, which others can advise me of.

I think most people combine all three into one, whereas I do not.
1. Most people have a preexisting Gmail Email Account of x...@gmail.com
2. Most people have their Android "Google Account" to be x...@gmail.com
3. Most people have the Gmail App set up for x...@gmail.com
4. Most people use a variety of Google Services
(e.g., Google Drive, Google Hangouts, Google Voice, Google Calendar etc.)

I recommend, in the _beginning_ of a new Android phone setup:
1. Set K9-Mail to your long-standing Gmail Email Account of 0...@gmail.com
2. Let the Android phone create a new Google Account 1...@gmail.com
3. Let the GMail App use that newly created Android-only 1...@gmail.com
4. Set desired Google Services to your long-standing account 0...@gmail.com

I recommend, after about a month of setup on a new Android phone
1. Keep K9-Mail (or any MUA) set to the Gmail Email Account 0...@gmail.com
2. Delete or ignore the Android-created Google Account 1...@gmail.com
3. Delete or ignore the Gmail App set up for 1...@gmail.com
4. Keep desired Google Services set to the long-standing 0...@gmail.com

Note that most of us already have a good set of free app APKs, which is why
we don't need the Google Account on Android, whose only benefit (as far as
I can tell) is that the Google Android Account allows you to use Google
Play (since you don't need it for YouTube since you can use NewPipe
instead).

What else does a Google Account on an Android phone buy you?

>> a. Once you have your apps, delete the initial bogus Google account
>
> I need my real Gmail account on my phone to access my Google Drive which
> gives my phone instant access to my 60+ GB of data. My phone
> memory/storage is just not that large... ;)

I have a Google Account. I just don't have that Google Account set up as my
Android Account. Why can't you do the same?
o x...@gmail.com === this is the "bogus" Android Google Account
o 0...@gmail.com === this is your "real" Google Account (for Google Services)

Looking up what "Google Drive" does for you, I don't see why it won't work:
<https://www.google.com/drive/>

I don't use the "Google Drive" functionality, so maybe it's different than
what I already know about the Google Gmail App functionality and the Google
Play App functionality?

> Sounds like a lot of work. My paranoia isn't quite that high.

It's no work at all.
a. You set up a bogus account (x...@gmail.com) once, when you set up a phone
b. You set up the "real" account (0...@gmail.com) once, whenever you did that
c. You use the "real" and "bogus" accounts whenever they make sense

> I also have a bogus Gmail account for websites and news servers (which
> feeds my real account) when I want to stay semi-anonymous.

Then you already have a similar system as I promulgate.
I keep my "real" Google account separate from my "Android Google Account".
There are advantages (e.g., no Advertiser ID, for example).

>> we then have to find a good mail user agent for Android.

> So I gave up and went back to using the current Gmail app. But thanks
> for the info. I've saved it in case I have a change of heart...

We are all old men who have used many MUAs over the decades.
They all do the same thing (IMHO).

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2018, 7:01:01 PM10/8/18
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 21:51:53 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> It's no work at all.
> a. You set up a bogus account (x...@gmail.com) once, when you set up a phone
> b. You set up the "real" account (0...@gmail.com) once, whenever you did that
> c. You use the "real" and "bogus" accounts whenever they make sense

Since this thread is about all Nougat-based settings for privacy &
security, I opened a separate tangential question so that we could iron out
whether anyone ever needs the bogus Android default Google account.

How does the default "Google Account" on an Android phone benefit you?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/L16oLRH-jVc>

For the purpose of this thread on privacy & security, I assume in all posts
that the user has NEVER taken the Android defaults, and hence the user
either has no Android Google Account, or, the user has a bogus Android
Google Account (which the phone will happily set up at any time).

Example:
o re...@google.com === your "real" Google account
(for various Google services, or none, at your discretion)
o bo...@gmail.com === your temporary "bogus" Android Google Account
(which is what Android asks you to set up, by default, but which
can easily be deleted or never set up in the first place)

123456789

Oct 8, 2018, 7:13:39 PM10/8/18
On 10/8/2018 2:51 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 10:29:47 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

>>> I feel it's best not to have any Google Account on an Android
>>> phone.

>> To late for me since I've been using Gmail for years. Great
>> service (IMO).

> It's not too late, as I've been using a "Google Gmail Account" for
> years.

> I do realize that my system was designed with a lot of forethought,
> in order to maintain a modicum of separation between my "real" and
> "bogus" Google Accounts ---

What's to be gained FOR ME by the separation of my real and bogus Gmail
accounts? I'm not trying to hide my true ID from Google. And anyway
since Google currently charges my credit card for its services (Drive,
eBooks, apps, etc.) I think they already have a pretty good idea of who
and where I am.

> Note that most of us already have a good set of free app APKs, which
> is why we don't need the Google Account on Android, whose only
> benefit (as far as I can tell) is that the Google Android Account
> allows you to use Google Play

How about just dedicating an old unused tablet to have a bogus Google
account, use the Play Store to get the wanted apps, and then siphon the
apks off to whatever pure non-polluted device you want them on?

>> I need my real Gmail account on my phone to access my Google Drive

> I have a Google Account. I just don't have that Google Account set
> up as my Android Account. Why can't you do the same?

Because I don't see any advantage FOR ME.

> Looking up what "Google Drive" does for you, I don't see why it
> won't work

I have multiple toys including a w10 laptop, W10 tablet, Chromebook,
Amazon Fire tablets, Android tablets of various sizes and an Android
phone. All have Google drive capability. Any change I make to one is
reflected to all. Changing all that to another Google account...really?? 8-O

> I keep my "real" Google account separate from my "Android Google
> Account". There are advantages (e.g., no Advertiser ID, for
> example).

Why should I care about an advertiser ID?

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2018, 7:21:48 PM10/8/18
A specific "App" that can be set up for "privacy" is your Contacts manager.
Each phone may have a different Contact Manager with different settings.
I will show the default Contact Manager settings for a LG Stylo 3 Plus.

Contacts > 3dot > Contacts settings > General > Online search >
Include contacts from online accounts in search = off
Contacts > 3dot > Contacts settings > General > Accounts & sync >
Auto-sync data = off
Accounts > Google > {select your account if it exists}
Calendar = off
Contacts = off
Docs = off
Drive = off
Gmail = off
Google Fit data = off
Google Play Movies & TV = off
Keep = off
People details = off
Play Games Cloud Save = off
Sheets = off
Slides = off
Timely = off

Contacts > 3dot > Contacts settings > General > Display >
Contacts to display =
All contacts = (_)
Phone = (_)
bo...@gmail.com = (_)
SIM = (_)
Customize = (o) [customize which contacts to display]

Any other settings you recommend for Contacts privacy/security?

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2018, 8:18:13 PM10/8/18
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 16:13:37 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

> What's to be gained FOR ME by the separation of my real and bogus Gmail
> accounts?

That's not only a GOOD QUESTION, but it's EXACTLY the question to be
answered over here:
How does the default "Google Account" on an Android phone benefit you?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/L16oLRH-jVc>

> I'm not trying to hide my true ID from Google.

The main advantage, as I see it, is that there is no concept of an
"Advertising ID" on a phone that has no Google Android account.

Nor is there Google tracking of your apps (AFAIK), if you've set up the
device correctly.

But again, that specific question is tangential to this thread, so it's
best to ask over there in the thread specific to that question.

> And anyway
> since Google currently charges my credit card for its services (Drive,
> eBooks, apps, etc.) I think they already have a pretty good idea of who
> and where I am.

You brought up an EXCELLENT point, which is that the instant a credit card
is stored on an Android phone, all hope of privacy & anonymity is lost.

It's to be assumed that I would never recommend paying for any online
service, whether from the cell phone or from the desktop/laptop computer.

I can't even think of a single online service that I need that I would pay
for that I can't already get, for free, sans paying for it if I use a
modicum of judicious intelligence.

Can you?

HINT: I get all the storage I want, plus all the apps I need, plus all the
books I feel like reading, etc., for free.

> How about just dedicating an old unused tablet to have a bogus Google
> account, use the Play Store to get the wanted apps, and then siphon the
> apks off to whatever pure non-polluted device you want them on?]

Yup. The fact you mentioned that idea proves you comprehended what I had
suggested, which is, essentially, that you can get the APKs from anywhere
for most free apps (which isn't possible with iOS IPAs, for example).

For the most part, it doesn't matter _how_ you get the APKs, whether you
get them yourself, or if a friend lends you his sdcard, or if you store
them on a common drive on your network, or even if you email them to
yourself (since they're just zip files).

That's one of the beauties of Android - which is that once you have your
population of apps, you almost never need the Google Play store ever again.

NOTE: I never update and app unless there's something in the update that I
want, where there almost never is, and, worse, there is almost always
something in the newer updates that I don't want.

> Because I don't see any advantage FOR ME.

This thread is about "privacy".
Having no "Advertiser ID" is related to that concept.
Plus, I think, having less or no Google app spying is also related.

What you're saying is simply that type of privacy isn't important to you.
And that's OK - except - this is a thread on privacy. :)

>> Looking up what "Google Drive" does for you, I don't see why it
>> won't work
>
> I have multiple toys including a w10 laptop, W10 tablet, Chromebook,
> Amazon Fire tablets, Android tablets of various sizes and an Android
> phone. All have Google drive capability. Any change I make to one is
> reflected to all. Changing all that to another Google account...really?? 8-O

I think you misunderstood me.
The point was to wipe out the Advertiser ID since this is a privacy thread.

I don't use Google Drive, but, it seems to be like any other Google
Service, such as Google Calendar, Google Gmail, Google Hangouts, etc.

Why can't you have two accounts on Android?
1. Bogus (e.g., bo...@gmail.com)
2. Real (e.g., re...@gmail.com)

The Google Drive is tied to the real account, while the Advertiser ID is
tied to the bogus account which, we've already proved, can be deleted at
will such that there is no bogus account if you don't want it (hence, no
Advertiser ID either).

>> I keep my "real" Google account separate from my "Android Google
>> Account". There are advantages (e.g., no Advertiser ID, for
>> example).
>
> Why should I care about an advertiser ID?

Because you're posting to a thread about "privacy".

If you want to discuss just the concept of a bogus Google Account, this
isn't the thread for that since this thread is about privacy. The thread
for discussing the bogus gmail account (and wiping it out) is here:

nospam

Oct 8, 2018, 8:31:35 PM10/8/18
In article <ppgs43$8ak$1...@news.mixmin.net>, Arlen Holder
<a%rlenh...@no.spam.net> wrote:

> Nor is there Google tracking of your apps (AFAIK), if you've set up the
> device correctly.

unless the device is off, google is tracking all sorts of things,
regardless from where any apps were obtained.

123456789

Oct 8, 2018, 10:20:22 PM10/8/18
On 10/8/2018 5:18 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 16:13:37 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

>> What's to be gained FOR ME by the separation of my real and bogus
>> Gmail accounts?

> How does the default "Google Account" on an Android phone benefit
> you?
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/L16oLRH-jVc>

I saw the post the first time. Nothing to be gained FOR ME there.

> The main advantage, as I see it, is that there is no concept of an
> "Advertising ID" on a phone that has no Google Android account.

No advantage for ME since I don't care about an advertising ID.

> Nor is there Google tracking of your apps (AFAIK), if you've set up
> the device correctly.

My phone company is tracking me, why not Google too?

> the instant a credit card is stored on an Android phone,

My credit card is stored in Google servers not on my phone.

> all hope of privacy & anonymity is lost.

That happens when you use a credit card anywhere.

> I can't even think of a single online service that I need that I
> would pay for that I can't already get, for free... Can you?

I don't have a clue what online services YOU might need.

> I get all the storage I want [for free]

My Google Drive costs 2 bucks a month. Pretty extravagant, huh.

> plus all the [free] apps I need,

Yup. I've actually paid a few bucks for an app from time to time. Pretty
extravagant, huh.

> plus all the books I feel like reading, etc., for free.

Yup. I used to also steal all my ebooks from the Usenet ebook groups.
Then a relative of mine became an author and I got religion. I'm up to
over 300 books on my Amazon account now. The one I'm currently reading
is by Ken Follett and was on sale for $2. Pretty extravagant, huh.

> you can get the APKs from anywhere for most free apps

Get apps ANYWHERE? I thought you were worried about security??

> That's one of the beauties of Android - which is that once you have
> your population of apps, you almost never need the Google Play store
> ever again.

I like to keep my sensitive apps (banking, credit card, insurance, etc.)
up to date so I would need the Play Store even if I were paranoid and
didn't want to use it.

> This thread is about "privacy". Having no "Advertiser ID" is related
> to that concept.

Still waiting to hear why I should worry about an advertising ID.

> The point was to wipe out the Advertiser ID since this is a privacy
> thread.

Still waiting to hear why I should worry about an advertising ID.

> The Google Drive is tied to the real account, while the Advertiser
> ID is tied to the bogus account which, we've already proved, can be
> deleted at will such that there is no bogus account if you don't
> want it (hence, no Advertiser ID either).

Still waiting to hear why I should worry about an advertising ID.

>> Why should I care about an advertiser ID?

> Because you're posting to a thread about "privacy".

Still waiting to hear why I should worry about an advertising ID.

> If you want to discuss just the concept of a bogus Google Account
> this isn't the thread for that since this thread is about privacy.

YOU brought up the BOGUS email account, not me.

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2018, 10:31:16 PM10/8/18
On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 19:20:20 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

> I saw the post the first time. Nothing to be gained FOR ME there.

HINT: This is a thread about "privacy".
If you don't care about privacy, then you have nothing to say.

Your response was so childish in a thread about "privacy", that your
response instantly reminded me of the famous Snowden quote which is about
how children like you & adults like me see the concept of "privacy"
differently.

<https://mic.com/articles/119602/in-one-quote-edward-snowden-summed-up-why-our-privacy-is-worth-fighting-for#.PcXKHwcjS>
<https://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-privacy-argument-2016-9>
<https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7308507-arguing-that-you-don-t-care-about-the-right-to-privacy>
<https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden>

To wit:
"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have
nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free
speech because you have nothing to say."

HINT: This is a thread about "privacy".
If you don't care about privacy, then you have nothing to say.

Arlen Holder

Oct 8, 2018, 10:33:01 PM10/8/18
On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 20:31:35 -0400, nospam wrote:

> unless the device is off, google is tracking all sorts of things,
> regardless from where any apps were obtained.

Hi nospam,

Let's see if you can _ever_ act like an adult, and prove a single statement
you make, shall we?

Name a _single_ tracking that Google does on an Android phone which is set
up the way we describe in this thread.

Name just one.

123456789

Oct 9, 2018, 1:11:01 AM10/9/18
On 10/8/2018 7:31 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Oct 2018 19:20:20 -0700, 123456789 wrote:

Arlen clipped my question:
Why should I should worry about an advertising ID?

> This is a thread about "privacy". If you don't care about privacy,
> then you have nothing to say.

Evasive nonsense. And still no answer to my advertising ID question.

> Your response was so childish in a thread about "privacy"

Evasive nonsense and the insults start. (I win again. That's 2 for 2...)

> "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you
> have nothing to hide

Evasive nonsense. I never said that.

> This is a thread about "privacy". If you don't care about privacy,
> then you have nothing to say.

I'm just not paranoid enough to have the hassle of juggling accounts and
pretending it somehow keeps me private. I suppose it's similar to the
reason I use a credit card everywhere instead of the hassle of paying
with anonymous cash.

> you can pay for a given number of GB of storage online, or, if
> you're intelligent, you can likely get that functionality for free.

New question. Where can I get a 100GB of online storage for free? Hope
you can do better at answering this one than the last two...

BTW I checked the thread title and it looks like we can talk about
anything...