Offline speech-to-text recorder/transcription unofficial Google Recorder APK port now available for many Android phones

Arlen Holder

Dec 27, 2019, 5:07:53 PM12/27/19
Let us know if the Google Recorder APK port works on your Android 9 or 10

Much like how the Google Gcam APK was ported:
o Changing the camera app can remarkably improve your photo quality of results
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/r_I_vFF0TYA/RjKI8_wKBAAJ>

There's now, as of today, an APK port for offline speech-to-text:
o Google¢s New Recorder App Has an Unofficial Workaround, No Pixel Required
<https://gizmodo.com/google-s-new-recorder-app-has-an-unofficial-workaround-1840677447>

It's apparently a leaked APK port of the Pixel Google Recorder app:
o <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.recorder>

o Download the latest Google Recorder app on most Android devices
<https://www.xda-developers.com/download-latest-google-recorder-app-android/>
"This app is a fully offline voice recorder with real-time
transcriptions and audio search."

Here is one version of the unofficial Google Recorder APK port:
<https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261685031>

And another:
<https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-recorder/recorder-5-0-5-257343194-release/recorder-0-5-257343194-android-apk-download/>

Let us know if this APK port works on your Android 9 or 10 device!

--
Usenet allows purposefully helpful adults to help each other publicly.

Arlen Holder

Dec 27, 2019, 5:27:52 PM12/27/19
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 22:07:52 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Let us know if the Google Recorder APK port works on your Android 9 or 10

Upon hearing the news today that XDA Developers provided a Google Recorder
port for non-Pixel phones, I immediately installed the aforementioned XDA
Developers' Google Recorder APK port on my new $100 Moto G7 (which runs
almost completely stock Android 9 (Pie)).

Version 0.5.257343194 (10010303) com.google.android.apps.recorder easily
installed, but all it does on my new Moto G7 is record & play the audio.

I don't yet see any way to get that version of the Google Recorder APK port
to offline transcribe or keyword search through that saved audio file.

However, I noticed there are two different ports of the XDA Developers'
leaked Google Recorder app, so I will try the other one if I can get it to
download (it has been searching for a mirror site for a while now).

Arlen Holder

Dec 27, 2019, 7:26:43 PM12/27/19
On Fri, 27 Dec 2019 22:27:52 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> Version 0.5.257343194 (10010303) com.google.android.apps.recorder easily
> installed, but all it does on my new Moto G7 is record & play the audio.
>
> I don't yet see any way to get that version of the Google Recorder APK port
> to offline transcribe or keyword search through that saved audio file.

Woo hoo!

Apparently the APK port version matters greatly in terms of functionality.
<https://www.androidpolice.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Google-Recorder-App-Update-1-329x658.png>

One by one, deleting the prior app & re-installing, I tested these three
XDA Developers' Google Recorder APK ports with the following results:

1. *This recorded & played audio offline but it does not transcribe or search.*
com.google.android.apps.recorder_0.5.257343194-10010303_minAPI28(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk
2.98MB, SHA256: 29F7914A77055963A5DB726E9666C22D8E849BE90712665FBC56A1F63EEF5549
<https://www.xda-developers.com/download-latest-google-recorder-app-android/>

2. *This installed fine but it crashed instantly every time it was run.*
com.google.android.apps.recorder_1.1.284933798-11000903_minAPI28(arm64-v8a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk
63.04MB, SHA256: 0FDA1A659142087494B840DB4A5E55D4576AAF3793231ABD6B9B4A0AD6BF9D01
<https://www.apkmirror.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/5df34cdc86131/com.google.android.apps.recorder_1.1.284933798-11000903_minAPI28(arm64-v8a)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com.apk>

3. *This recorded, played, searched & transcribed audio offline.*
GoogleRecorder_1_1_284933798_NO_CHECK.apk
63.40MB, SHA256: 8499A8A2FB506D47266B4CC12CBA3E612C3446E814EF4A85EA0000C890FB2EBB
<https://www.xda-developers.com/download-latest-google-recorder-app-android/>
<https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261685031>
<https://qc4.androidfilehost.com/dl/YLnvsSMHK-qVnKwxcKYS-w/1577716524/4349826312261685031/GoogleRecorder_1_1_284933798_NO_CHECK.apk?>

In summary, according to this reference:
<https://www.xda-developers.com/download-latest-google-recorder-app-android/>

*Fully Works*
o Google Pixel and Pixel XL running Android 10
o Huawei and Honor phones running EMUI 9 (Android 9 Pie) or EMUI 10 (Android 10)
o LG phones running LG UX 8.0 (Android 9 Pie)
o Motorola phones running Android 9 Pie
o Nokia phones running Android 9 Pie
o Samsung Galaxy phones running One UI 1.0/1.5 (Android 9 Pie) or One UI 2.0 (Android 10)
o Sony Xperia phones running Android 9 Pie or Android 10
o Any phone running a custom ROM based on AOSP Android 9 Pie or Android 10

*Partially Works* (recording works but transcriptions aren't visible after saving)
o ASUS phones running ROG UI 2.0/ZenUI 6.0 based on Android 9 Pie or Android 10
o OPPO and Realme phones running ColorOS 6 based on Android 9 Pie
o OnePlus phones running OxygenOS 10 based on Android 10

*Doesn't Work*
o Xiaomi phones running MIUI 10 or MIUI 11

--
Usenet is a public potluck where adults purposefully inform & help others.

Arlen Holder

Dec 27, 2019, 7:59:58 PM12/27/19
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 00:26:42 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> In summary, according to this reference:
> <https://www.xda-developers.com/download-latest-google-recorder-app-android/>
>
> *Fully Works*
> o Motorola phones running Android 9 Pie

Here are some screenshots I just made for you:
<https://i.postimg.cc/DZhJ3sft/recorder01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/76NCH6fb/recorder02.jpg>

With the phone in airplane mode & WiFi & cellular data off...
a. I can record & play using the XDA developers' Google Recorder port
b. I can save & transcribe to a series of audio files & transcriptions
c. I can search for keywords within those audio file transcriptions

Voila!

Please test on your Android 9 or Android 10 device & let us know how it
works for you, as only one of the three APK ports I tested fully worked on
my new $100 Moto G7 Android 9 (Pie) phone.
<https://www.xda-developers.com/download-latest-google-recorder-app-android/>
<https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4349826312261685031>
--
Usenet is a great public potluck where helpful adults share ideas.

Arlen Holder

Dec 27, 2019, 9:52:22 PM12/27/19
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 00:59:57 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> With the phone in airplane mode & WiFi & cellular data off...
> a. I can record & play using the XDA developers' Google Recorder port
> b. I can save & transcribe to a series of audio files & transcriptions
> c. I can search for keywords within those audio file transcriptions

UPDATE:
We can also 'share' the offline audio transcription to a text file!
<https://i.postimg.cc/DZhJ3sft/recorder01.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/76NCH6fb/recorder02.jpg>
<https://i.postimg.cc/zG2nnFzg/recorder03.jpg>

o offline speech to text
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/jDW4LKQ370I/BQ3GXYbiFgAJ>

And of this even older question, asked way back in 2016:
o dictation without internet?
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/rJ_UOqEyeoM/uCnpDETCDgAJ>

Here's what I tried on my new $100 Moto G7 on Android 9 (Pie) today:
1. I installed the XDA Developers' port of the "Google Recorder" APK.
2. I turned off WiFi & Cellular Data (and put the phone on Airplane Mode).
3. I recorded a series of audio files and saved them.
4. I pressed the button to transcribe them to text offline.
5. I searched offline for a keyword in one of the transcribed files.
6. I selected that transcription & pressed the "share" button.
7. That gave me the option to share as audio, text, or both.

If you share as "text", it will provide options for note-taking apps.
If you share as "both", you only get the option of email apps.
<https://i.postimg.cc/zG2nnFzg/recorder03.jpg>

--
Usenet is where purposefully helpful adults share useful knowledge.

Arlen Holder

Jan 8, 2020, 10:40:48 PM1/8/20
On Sat, 28 Dec 2019 02:52:21 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> We can also 'share' the offline audio transcription to a text file!

UPDATE: (for all to benefit from what we found out recently!)
o Offline speech-to-text recorder/transcription unofficial Google Recorder APK port now available for many Android phones
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/_Amn35T16NA>

Regarding this offline transcription of speech to text functionality:
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.recorder>

For those who own multiple iOS devices, as I do, the good news is that
Apple recently added a new public API in iOS 13.2 (apparently), which
developers recently took advantage of, which allows for similar
functionality (slightly reduced) for offline recording transcription:
o New Dictation app brings advanced offline transcription capabilities to iPhone and iPad
<https://9to5mac.com/2019/11/07/new-dictation-app-brings-advanced-offline-transcription-capabilities-to-iphone-and-ipad/>

As with Android, there is only _one_ known app to date that has this
functionality.
o <https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dictation-by-blueshift/id1474180179>
o <https://www.dictationbyblueshift.com/>

That app is also available for the Mac, which is kind of nice.
o For Windows, you could likely run Google Recorder under a freeware
Android emulator, I suspect (but I haven't tried it yet).
o Running Bluestacks4 Android 7.1.1 emulation freeware on Windows
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.android/JBRjZ39w4Ok/6Vzu7rtIAQAJ>

Unfortunately...
*As is so often the case with Apple, what's free on Android is $7 on iOS.*

o Name a single iOS app functionality that you can get for a buck, that isn't already on Android, for free
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/aUyeuaPI9pc/r9gtLFjXAwAJ>

--
Usenet enables purposefully helpful adults to share items of common value.

Arlen Holder

Feb 12, 2020, 8:29:38 PM2/12/20
UPDATE:

See this thread today, which is somewhat related as it pertains to offline
speech to text transcription into an editing application.
o voice type off the internet?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/GQIeTtg8vtc>

In addition to the Google Recorder APK port for Android, this was provided:
o Fix: Google Voice Typing not working on Android
<https://mobileinternist.com/fix-google-voice-typing-not-working-on-android>

Where the goal is always:
a. Offline voice to text to both an editable document file & audio file
b. Offline voice to text in the keyboard (e.g., for texts, mails, etc.)
c. Offline voice to action hands-free Android phone control
--
Together, purposefully helpful people make Usnet the public helpdesk it is.

John C.

Feb 13, 2020, 2:12:07 AM2/13/20
Arlen Holder wrote:
> UPDATE:
>
> See this thread today, which is somewhat related as it pertains to offline
> speech to text transcription into an editing application.
> o voice type off the internet?
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/GQIeTtg8vtc>
>
> In addition to the Google Recorder APK port for Android, this was provided:
> o Fix: Google Voice Typing not working on Android
> <https://mobileinternist.com/fix-google-voice-typing-not-working-on-android>
>
> Where the goal is always:
> a. Offline voice to text to both an editable document file & audio file
> b. Offline voice to text in the keyboard (e.g., for texts, mails, etc.)
> c. Offline voice to action hands-free Android phone control

You usually have to "train" text to voice programs. In so doing, you're
providing voice samples that are stored locally for the program to refer to.

Bear in mind though, that it's probably likely that the TLAs also like
very much to be able to identify your voice easily. This is why I refuse
to use such programs.

Also, it's entirely likely that adequate AI was developed several years
ago that could easily convert speech to text without any training.

Fuck cell phones. Never had one, never will.

--
John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, pirated,
share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me please. I filter out

Libor Striz

Feb 13, 2020, 6:23:27 AM2/13/20
"John C." <r9j...@yahoo.com> Wrote in message:

> Fuck cell phones. Never had one, never will.

You can always use one that does not have such ability,
not using Android nor iOS.

OTOH, any voice service is able to abuse your voice samples.

-- John Corliss BS206. No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag,
pirated,share, spy, time-limited, trial or web wares for me
please. I filter outposts made from Google Groups and recommend
you do likewise. I alsofilter out all posts from the troll Kasey,
who doesn't believe intwo-way firewalls, and »Q«, who is just
another, but more common troll.

--
Poutnik ( the Wanderer )

John C.

Feb 13, 2020, 4:17:32 PM2/13/20
Although this is true, they have to know for sure that it's you who is
doing the talking.