Why can't use the exernal SD card with my voice recorder app?

Sciortino

Apr 13, 2016, 12:14:00 PM4/13/16
Hi all,

I'm the owner of a Honor 5x.
The external SD card inside the phone works regular with the
photos/video application, I can write/read from ES file manager BUT the
apps for voice recording that I tried (Total Recall, Voice Recorder,
RecForge) don't let me save the file on the external SD.
Anyone can help me and/or explain what's happening ?
TIA

The Real Bev

Apr 13, 2016, 3:16:42 PM4/13/16
That's probably the choice of the app writer, and I think it stinks.
Can you copy the files to the card or your computer? I don't like
having only one copy of important stuff.

--
Cheers, Bev
Children, your performance was miserable. Your parents will all

Marob Katon

Apr 13, 2016, 6:19:31 PM4/13/16
The Real Bev wrote:

> That's probably the choice of the app writer, and I think it stinks.
> Can you copy the files to the card or your computer? I don't like
> having only one copy of important stuff.

I think it's a BIG LIE that you can use the external sd card on
Android due to the huge limitations. But the big lie persists.

Anyway, the solution, for when an app won't let you store its data
on the external sd card is to get a good file relocator.

I tried almost all of them, most of which are crap, but I've found
this one to be the best free file relocator.

Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobino.redirectsfree

For example, if the default location for Voice Recorder files is:
/storage/emulated/0/EasyVoiceRecorder

You can move that to, say:
/storage/extSdCard/data/EasyVoiceRecorder

Iwan

Apr 14, 2016, 5:03:54 AM4/14/16
On 14.04.16 00:19, Marob Katon wrote:

> I think it's a BIG LIE that you can use the external sd card on
> Android due to the huge limitations. But the big lie persists.
>
> Anyway, the solution, for when an app won't let you store its data
> on the external sd card is to get a good file relocator.
>
> I tried almost all of them, most of which are crap, but I've found
> this one to be the best free file relocator.
>
> Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobino.redirectsfree
>
> For example, if the default location for Voice Recorder files is:
> /storage/emulated/0/EasyVoiceRecorder
>
> You can move that to, say:
> /storage/extSdCard/data/EasyVoiceRecorder

"Only the paid version of the app supports redirecting to your computer."

I use Total Commander to relocate files to the external SDCard.
The apps always find their files then.

Peter

Marob Katon

Apr 14, 2016, 9:45:37 AM4/14/16
Iwan wrote:

>> Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobino.redirectsfree
>>
>> For example, if the default location for Voice Recorder files is:
>> /storage/emulated/0/EasyVoiceRecorder
>>
>> You can move that to, say:
>> /storage/extSdCard/data/EasyVoiceRecorder
>
> "Only the paid version of the app supports redirecting to your computer."
>
> I use Total Commander to relocate files to the external SDCard.
> The apps always find their files then.

I'm confused by your comment but I want to learn from you.
Who is redirecting files to their "computer"?

I thought we were talking about redirecting files on Android from
the internal sdcard on Android to the external sdcard on Android.
src: /storage/emulated/0/EasyVoiceRecorder
dst: /storage/extSdCard/data/audio/EasyVoiceRecorder

I know all about supposed freeware that actually doesn't work,
because of extreme limitations, such as

URSafe Media Redirector by Venator Software Media & Video
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.venator.app.mediaredirector
This stinks because it's limited to one folder redirect only,
which is useless.

Photo & File Redirect by Nicola Rosada
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rosadanicolasoft.fotoandfileredirect
This also stinks because it's also limited to one folder redirect,
which is useless.

Automatic File Mover FREE by CM Apps
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=filemover.tst
This stinks less than the two above, because it's limited to 3
folder redirects, which only begins to approach usefulness.
If there is a limit to the number of folder redirects, I haven't
reached it yet, so this is the only file redirect that I know of
that's actually usable in the freeware version.

Given what I wrote above, and the fact that you said it only
redirects files to the computer, I'm thoroughly confused by
your comment.

Would you kindly explain more about what you wrote, because
I *use* the Xavier Tobin "Redirect File Organizer" and I
don't do anything with the computer.

s|b

Apr 14, 2016, 2:11:38 PM4/14/16
I know Kit Kat prevents 3rd party software to write data to (external)
microSD card, but your device should be using Lollipop.

I did a little search and it seems this is the same in Lollipop. It
turns out you can change this, but you need to root your phone to be
able to do this.

Here's one of the URLs I found:
<http://www.knowreviewtip.com/fix-errors/unlock-external-sd-card-write-permission-for-all-apps-in-android-lollipop-kitkat/>

--
s|b

The Real Bev

Apr 15, 2016, 2:12:00 AM4/15/16
On 04/14/2016 11:11 AM, s|b wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 18:13:54 +0200, Sciortino wrote:
>
>> I'm the owner of a Honor 5x.
>> The external SD card inside the phone works regular with the
>> photos/video application, I can write/read from ES file manager BUT the
>> apps for voice recording that I tried (Total Recall, Voice Recorder,
>> RecForge) don't let me save the file on the external SD.
>> Anyone can help me and/or explain what's happening ?
>
> I know Kit Kat prevents 3rd party software to write data to (external)
> microSD card, but your device should be using Lollipop.

> I did a little search and it seems this is the same in Lollipop. It
> turns out you can change this, but you need to root your phone to be
> able to do this.

Not necessary. Use ES File explorer to copy from your computer to the
internal memory and then use the resident file manager to move the file
to the external card. Cumbersome, but doable.
Cheers,
Bev
0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0
Judges are our only protection against a legal system that can
afford lots more prosecution than we can afford defense.

Iwan

Apr 15, 2016, 7:32:30 AM4/15/16
On 14.04.16 15:45, Marob Katon wrote:
> Iwan wrote:

>> "Only the paid version of the app supports redirecting to your computer."
>>
>> I use Total Commander to relocate files to the external SDCard.
>> The apps always find their files then.
>
> I'm confused by your comment but I want to learn from you.
> Who is redirecting files to their "computer"?
>
> Would you kindly explain more about what you wrote, because
> I *use* the Xavier Tobin "Redirect File Organizer" and I
> don't do anything with the computer.

"Only the paid version ..." was an information, not a manifest,-)

I will check now what Tobin's app can do better than Total Commander.

Regards

Peter

Marob Katon

Apr 15, 2016, 11:18:38 AM4/15/16
Iwan wrote in message neqjgd$sr9$1...@news.albasani.net:

> I will check now what Tobin's app can do better than Total Commander.

What Tobin's app can do is to watch any file (or file type) that is
on the internal SD card, and to move it to the external SD card (if
that's what you want).

It has nothing to do with a computer (AFAIK).

s|b

Apr 15, 2016, 3:16:01 PM4/15/16
On Thu, 14 Apr 2016 23:11:59 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> > I did a little search and it seems this is the same in Lollipop. It
> > turns out you can change this, but you need to root your phone to be
> > able to do this.
>
> Not necessary. Use ES File explorer to copy from your computer to the
> internal memory and then use the resident file manager to move the file
> to the external card. Cumbersome, but doable.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly (English not being my native
language and all that), but that won't work. We're talking about 3rd
party software that writes (or should write) data /directly/ to the
microSD card, without the use of a file manager. Sure, you can use the
resident file manager to move the data, but that's just a PITA if you
ask me.

I have an app called Galaxy App Recorder (it records phone
conversations) and under Jelly Bean it used to save recorded
conversations directly to my microSD card, but then I "up"graded to Kit
Kat and now it won't work like that anymore. I can only save
conversations to the internal memory. If I had know that I probably
wouldn't have installed Kit Kat...

--
s|b

The Real Bev

Apr 15, 2016, 4:08:23 PM4/15/16
OK, I thought we were talking about just moving files around, not where
apps choose to write their files. BTW, your English is fine, it's not
possible to tell that it's NOT your native language.

I think you're stuck with wherever the app is willing to allow its files
to be written. Some developers are nice and some deserve to be beaten.

Marshmallow (Android 6) allows you to use the external card as an
extension of internal memory (FINALLY!) and that works fine. POSSIBLY a
little slower, but not significantly. You might want to shop for a new
phone...

I apologize for saying that, but my Motorola Moto G Rev 2 with 8GB of
internal memory runs Marshmallow and allows a 32GB external card. I
think they're ~$100 on Amazon. No complaints so far. There's also a
16GB version.

--
Cheers,
Bev

The Real Bev

Apr 15, 2016, 4:09:26 PM4/15/16
On 04/15/2016 12:16 PM, s|b wrote:
Addendum: is it possible that an update to GAR is at fault? Can you go
back to an older version?

--
Cheers,
Bev

s|b

Apr 16, 2016, 9:13:06 AM4/16/16
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:08:21 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> Marshmallow (Android 6) allows you to use the external card as an
> extension of internal memory (FINALLY!) and that works fine. POSSIBLY a
> little slower, but not significantly. You might want to shop for a new
> phone...

I thought my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini was still under guarantee, but I
just checked: I bought it in April 2014, so no more guarantee. A new
phone seems tempting now... I was never really happy with my Samsung.
From time to time it freezes and reboots. And I'm stuck with Kit Kat and
no security updates for the OS. Samsung also installs a lot of
unnecessary crap.

> I apologize for saying that, but my Motorola Moto G Rev 2 with 8GB of
> internal memory runs Marshmallow and allows a 32GB external card. I
> think they're ~$100 on Amazon. No complaints so far. There's also a
> 16GB version.

My new phone will be a Nexus, no doubt about that. I got my eye on the
LG Nexus 5X (16 or 32GB). Two colleagues of mine bought it after I
advised them to and they seem very happy about it. Coolblue sells the
32GB version (black) for 335 euro.

You can't insert a microSD card, but I consider that to be an advantage.
If someone finds the phone, they won't have easy access to what's stored
on the microSD card. I know I can encrypt the card, but I think that'll
slow things down. Also, if the pone breaks down, I won't have access to
the card anymore (but that's what a backup is for).

--
s|b

s|b

Apr 16, 2016, 9:38:00 AM4/16/16
On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:09:25 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> > I have an app called Galaxy App Recorder (it records phone
> > conversations) and under Jelly Bean it used to save recorded
> > conversations directly to my microSD card, but then I "up"graded to Kit
> > Kat and now it won't work like that anymore. I can only save
> > conversations to the internal memory. If I had know that I probably
> > wouldn't have installed Kit Kat...

> Addendum: is it possible that an update to GAR is at fault? Can you go
> back to an older version?

GAR is not to blame. The only downside is that it doesn't warn you that
Kit Kat prevents writing data on the microSD card. I vaguely remember it
showed some error, but it wasn't clear what it was. So I did some
research and found out that Kit Kat was to blame.

Do a search for 'kit kat write restrictions'. You'll see.

There are solutions, but most (?) require root access.

--
s|b

Marob Katon

Apr 16, 2016, 4:32:37 PM4/16/16
The Real Bev wrote in message nerhjc$cl0$2...@dont-email.me:

> Addendum: is it possible that an update to GAR is at fault?
> Can you go back to an older version?

HINT: If you use a freeware app backup & restore program, all your APK
files will automagically be saved to your SD card for re-use at any time!

1. App Backup & Restore by Apex Apps
2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.appbackup

Marob Katon

Apr 16, 2016, 4:34:42 PM4/16/16
s|b wrote in message dnethm...@mid.individual.net:

> GAR is not to blame. The only downside is that it doesn't warn you that
> Kit Kat prevents writing data on the microSD card. I vaguely remember it
> showed some error, but it wasn't clear what it was. So I did some
> research and found out that Kit Kat was to blame.
>
> Do a search for 'kit kat write restrictions'. You'll see.
>
> There are solutions, but most (?) require root access.

Did you try the suggested freeware file and directory re-locator tool yet?
It does *not* require root access on my phone.

1. Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin
2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobino.redirectsfree&hl=en

Be careful. There are *many* redirects, but only this one seems to
handle lots and lots of directories for free.

What happened when you tried this app to move the default location
from the internal sd card to the external sd card?

Marob Katon

Apr 16, 2016, 4:36:20 PM4/16/16
The Real Bev wrote in message nerhhd$cl0$1...@dont-email.me:

> I think you're stuck with wherever the app is willing to allow its files
> to be written. Some developers are nice and some deserve to be beaten.

The suggested file locator works on my Android version without rooting
(4.3) but I don't know about newer versions of Android.
It runs in the background to move files out of the default location
on the internal SD card into the new location you made for them on
the external SD card.

So, you don't have to change anything on the recording app itself.

Marob Katon

Apr 16, 2016, 4:40:11 PM4/16/16
s|b wrote in message dnes31...@mid.individual.net:

> I thought my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini was still under guarantee, but I
> just checked: I bought it in April 2014, so no more guarantee. A new
> phone seems tempting now... I was never really happy with my Samsung.
> From time to time it freezes and reboots. And I'm stuck with Kit Kat and
> no security updates for the OS. Samsung also installs a lot of
> unnecessary crap.

Unless you need the phone to make money, a phone is a phone. It's a
consumable. I'd use it until it literally dies, unless it's slowing
you down where you're losing money (in which case, I'd buy the best
phone money can buy).

>> I apologize for saying that, but my Motorola Moto G Rev 2 with 8GB of
>> internal memory runs Marshmallow and allows a 32GB external card. I
>> think they're ~$100 on Amazon. No complaints so far. There's also a
>> 16GB version.

In my humble experience, the external SD card is no substitute for
internal memory. So, depending on costs, I'd get at least 16GB internal
memory (which turns into 12GB in practice) or better yet, 32GB (which
is about 28GB in practice).

> My new phone will be a Nexus, no doubt about that. I got my eye on the
> LG Nexus 5X (16 or 32GB). Two colleagues of mine bought it after I
> advised them to and they seem very happy about it. Coolblue sells the
> 32GB version (black) for 335 euro.

No doubt Google Play phones are attractively priced.

Since they generally don't have SD card slots, you need to go as big
as you can afford, bearing in mind you'll lose at least 4GB instantly
to the OS.

Irks me that you can't replace the batteries easily though on Google
branded phones. Dunno why they do that. Maybe cost reasons?

The Real Bev

Apr 17, 2016, 12:00:39 AM4/17/16
On 04/16/2016 06:13 AM, s|b wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:08:21 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Marshmallow (Android 6) allows you to use the external card as an
>> extension of internal memory (FINALLY!) and that works fine. POSSIBLY a
>> little slower, but not significantly. You might want to shop for a new
>> phone...
>
> I thought my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini was still under guarantee, but I
> just checked: I bought it in April 2014, so no more guarantee. A new
> phone seems tempting now... I was never really happy with my Samsung.
> From time to time it freezes and reboots. And I'm stuck with Kit Kat and
> no security updates for the OS. Samsung also installs a lot of
> unnecessary crap.
>
>> I apologize for saying that, but my Motorola Moto G Rev 2 with 8GB of
>> internal memory runs Marshmallow and allows a 32GB external card. I
>> think they're ~$100 on Amazon. No complaints so far. There's also a
>> 16GB version.
>
> My new phone will be a Nexus, no doubt about that. I got my eye on the
> LG Nexus 5X (16 or 32GB). Two colleagues of mine bought it after I
> advised them to and they seem very happy about it. Coolblue sells the
> 32GB version (black) for 335 euro.

Go for the 32GB. You'll be glad you did.

> You can't insert a microSD card, but I consider that to be an advantage.
> If someone finds the phone, they won't have easy access to what's stored
> on the microSD card. I know I can encrypt the card, but I think that'll
> slow things down. Also, if the pone breaks down, I won't have access to
> the card anymore (but that's what a backup is for).

--
Cheers, Bev
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

The Real Bev

Apr 17, 2016, 12:04:05 AM4/17/16
You can probably find an instructional video on the web for doing it
yourself. I looked at one for my MotoG2, which also gave a source for
acceptable replacement batteries. Not sure if I'd be willing to do it,
but if the battery is dead it might be worth the experience if the
battery doesn't cost too much.

Bob Martin

Apr 17, 2016, 2:28:39 AM4/17/16
in 29561 20160417 050038 The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 04/16/2016 06:13 AM, s|b wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2016 13:08:21 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Marshmallow (Android 6) allows you to use the external card as an
>>> extension of internal memory (FINALLY!) and that works fine. POSSIBLY a
>>> little slower, but not significantly. You might want to shop for a new
>>> phone...
>>
>> I thought my Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini was still under guarantee, but I
>> just checked: I bought it in April 2014, so no more guarantee. A new
>> phone seems tempting now... I was never really happy with my Samsung.
>> From time to time it freezes and reboots. And I'm stuck with Kit Kat and
>> no security updates for the OS. Samsung also installs a lot of
>> unnecessary crap.
>>
>>> I apologize for saying that, but my Motorola Moto G Rev 2 with 8GB of
>>> internal memory runs Marshmallow and allows a 32GB external card. I
>>> think they're ~$100 on Amazon. No complaints so far. There's also a
>>> 16GB version.
>>
>> My new phone will be a Nexus, no doubt about that. I got my eye on the
>> LG Nexus 5X (16 or 32GB). Two colleagues of mine bought it after I
>> advised them to and they seem very happy about it. Coolblue sells the
>> 32GB version (black) for 335 euro.
>
>Go for the 32GB. You'll be glad you did.

It would have been a waste of money for me.
I bought the 16GB Nexus 5X and it's plenty for my needs.
If I need more I plug in a USB drive and use it via OTG - great for backups
because they are immediately away from the phone.

s|b

Apr 17, 2016, 11:10:52 AM4/17/16
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 21:00:38 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> Go for the 32GB. You'll be glad you did.

I'm not sure. I've had my current phone for over 2 years now. Available
space on my 15 GB (14,83 GiB) microSD card is 13,06 GiB. However, the
internal storage is 8 GiB and the available space is 1,96 GiB...

--
s|b

The Real Bev

Apr 17, 2016, 12:10:07 PM4/17/16
BUT FIRST find out the maximum size card your phone will take. You seem
to be very near to maxed out right now. BTDT.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

s|b

Apr 17, 2016, 1:08:21 PM4/17/16
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 20:40:09 +0000 (UTC), Marob Katon wrote:

> Unless you need the phone to make money, a phone is a phone. It's a
> consumable. I'd use it until it literally dies, unless it's slowing
> you down where you're losing money (in which case, I'd buy the best
> phone money can buy).

I'm usually like that, but I recently received a bonus at my workplace
and it's not like I'm going to make money by putting it in the bank
(0,11%).

> In my humble experience, the external SD card is no substitute for
> internal memory. So, depending on costs, I'd get at least 16GB internal
> memory (which turns into 12GB in practice) or better yet, 32GB (which
> is about 28GB in practice).

I was planning on going for the 16GB version, but 32GB is making more
sense now, since my Samsung has 8GB internal storage and only 2GB of
that is available.

> No doubt Google Play phones are attractively priced.
>
> Since they generally don't have SD card slots, you need to go as big
> as you can afford, bearing in mind you'll lose at least 4GB instantly
> to the OS.
>
> Irks me that you can't replace the batteries easily though on Google
> branded phones. Dunno why they do that. Maybe cost reasons?

It can be done. Search for 'replace battery lg nexus 5x' on YouTube (or
Google).

--
s|b

s|b

Apr 17, 2016, 1:15:16 PM4/17/16
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 09:10:06 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> BUT FIRST find out the maximum size card your phone will take. You seem
> to be very near to maxed out right now. BTDT.

You can't use microSD cards (or any other memory card) in the LG Nexus
5X. You either choose the 16GB version or the 32GB. My Samsung has only
2GB available of 8GB, but keep in mind that there's a lot of crap from
Samsung. However, IF I would buy one now, it would probably be the 32GB
version.

--
s|b

s|b

Apr 17, 2016, 1:20:53 PM4/17/16
On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 20:34:39 +0000 (UTC), Marob Katon wrote:

> Did you try the suggested freeware file and directory re-locator tool yet?
> It does *not* require root access on my phone.
>
> 1. Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin
> 2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobino.redirectsfree&hl=en

Do you have to pay for this app?

> Be careful. There are *many* redirects, but only this one seems to
> handle lots and lots of directories for free.

I've never encountered one before.

> What happened when you tried this app to move the default location
> from the internal sd card to the external sd card?

I read something about that. It seemed to be difficult to set up.
Anyway, if I'm buying the LG Nexus 5X I won't need such apps.

--
s|b

nospam

Apr 17, 2016, 3:14:29 PM4/17/16
In article <nf0cak$tga$3...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Go for the 32GB. You'll be glad you did.
> >
> > I'm not sure. I've had my current phone for over 2 years now. Available
> > space on my 15 GB (14,83 GiB) microSD card is 13,06 GiB. However, the
> > internal storage is 8 GiB and the available space is 1,96 GiB...
>
> BUT FIRST find out the maximum size card your phone will take. You seem
> to be very near to maxed out right now. BTDT.

why buy what isn't needed?

s|b

Apr 17, 2016, 3:24:03 PM4/17/16
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 15:14:28 -0400, nospam wrote:

> why buy what isn't needed?

It's good for the economy. <g>

--
s|b

Marob Katon

Apr 17, 2016, 3:47:41 PM4/17/16
s|b wrote in message dnhuvj...@mid.individual.net:

>> 1. Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin
>> 2. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobino.redirectsfree&hl=en
>
> Do you have to pay for this app?

I will *never* suggest an app that you have to pay for.
Nor will I suggest an obnoxious freeware app.

I only suggest apps that I've used myself and that I like and that do
the job well.

>> Be careful. There are *many* redirects, but only this one seems to
>> handle lots and lots of directories for free.
>
> I've never encountered one before.

Lots and lots of the crappy redirects exist!
(Ask me how I know.)

These below all suck goat's feet!

URSafe Media Redirector by Venator Software Media & Video (1 folder redirect)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.venator.app.mediaredirector
/device/storage/sdcard0/Pictures/Screenshots/ => /storage/exSdCard/snapshot

Photo & File Redirect by Nicola Rosada (freeware limited to 1 folder redirect)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=rosadanicolasoft.fotoandfileredirect
/device/storage/sdcard0/Download => /device/storage/exSdCard/download

Automatic File Mover FREE by CM Apps (freeware limited to 3 folder redirects)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=filemover.tst

>> What happened when you tried this app to move the default location
>> from the internal sd card to the external sd card?
>
> I read something about that. It seemed to be difficult to set up.
> Anyway, if I'm buying the LG Nexus 5X I won't need such apps.

It's not hard to set up at all.
But you need to think ahead as to where you want to put stuff.

NOTE: Most people are incapable of thinking ahead when it comes to where
they put files.

Here's how I move major folders to the external SD card...

Install Redirect File Organizer (freeware for multiple redirects):
Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin (this redirects many folders for free)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tobino.redirectsfree&hl=en
a. Install & open: Redirect File Organizer by Xavier Tobin
b. Check that "Background Service" = checked by default
c. Press "Folder Redirect"
d. Source folder: sdcard0/Download/
e. Destination folder: /storage/exSdCard/data/download/
f. Press the "Create Folder Redirect" button
Note that the listing is alphabetical.
camera default:
src: /storage/emulated/0/DCIM
dst: /storage/extSdCard/data/pic
documents default:
src: /storage/emulated/0/Documents
dst: /storage/exSdCard/data/doc
download default:
src: /storage/emulated/0/Download
dst: /storage/extSdCard/data/download
mic easyvoicerecorder:
src: /storage/emulated/0/EasyVoiceRecorder
dst: /storage/extSdCard/data/audio/EasyVoiceRecorder

etc.

Marob Katon

Apr 17, 2016, 3:48:41 PM4/17/16
nospam wrote in message 17042016151428...@nospam.invalid:

> why buy what isn't needed?

Why do you buy 10 pound bags of flour when you only need 1 cup
right now?

nospam

Apr 17, 2016, 3:52:13 PM4/17/16
In article <nf0pam$1qtp$2...@gioia.aioe.org>, Marob Katon
<marob...@examples.com> wrote:

> > why buy what isn't needed?
>
> Why do you buy 10 pound bags of flour when you only need 1 cup
> right now?

whoosh.

Frank Slootweg

Apr 17, 2016, 4:30:31 PM4/17/16
I'm sure 's|b' and won't do that, because we would never need one! :-)

Frank Slootweg

Apr 17, 2016, 4:42:25 PM4/17/16
There's a bit of cross/non communication.

The Real Bev talks about *finding out* - i.e. not *buying* - the
maximum size (MicroSD) card 's|b's phone will take, but 's|b's phone
doesn't take any (removable) card, because it will be a Google Nexus
phone.

's|b' talks about what memory-size phone he should buy (16MB or 32MB),
because with Nexus phones, memory is non-expandable (like for iPhones).

nospam

Apr 17, 2016, 4:45:12 PM4/17/16

wrong. she said this:

> 's|b' talks about what memory-size phone he should buy (16MB or 32MB),
> because with Nexus phones, memory is non-expandable (like for iPhones).

doesn't matter.

the point is why buy a 32 gig device when 16 gig will suffice?

Frank Slootweg

Apr 17, 2016, 5:03:39 PM4/17/16
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
[...]
> the point is why buy a 32 gig device when 16 gig will suffice?

Because storage needs might/will change over time?

You yourself recently gave examples of things which smartphones/
tablets can do. That's the beauty of these devices, that you can add
(and delete) apps, etc., but that also makes it difficult to - try to -
predict what you might/will need in the future.

With computers that's somewhat less of a problem (because it's
relatively easy to add/replace harddisks), but for smartphones/
tablets it is.

*If* (Micro)SD cards would work (well) on Android, that would be the
way to go, but since Google manages to fsck that up in ever changing
ways, there sadly is no one-size-fits-all.

nospam

Apr 17, 2016, 5:09:02 PM4/17/16
In article <dnic19...@mid.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> > the point is why buy a 32 gig device when 16 gig will suffice?
>
> Because storage needs might/will change over time?

people don't keep their phones forever and most stuff lives in the
cloud these days anyway. plus, most people upgrade every couple of
years.

if you have more money than you know what to do with, then buy the
maximum storage possible. meanwhile, most people have a budget and
phones are not normally at the top of the list.

Frank Slootweg

Apr 18, 2016, 1:24:31 PM4/18/16
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> In article <dnic19...@mid.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
> <th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > the point is why buy a 32 gig device when 16 gig will suffice?
> >
> > Because storage needs might/will change over time?
>
> people don't keep their phones forever and most stuff lives in the
> cloud these days anyway. plus, most people upgrade every couple of
> years.

[Moronics deleted.]

Well, clearly your usage model differs from mine and I'm quite sure
also from The Real Bev's (don't know about 's|b's).

So it's probably not wise to use generalities in these kind of groups.

Anyway, it's 'nice' to note - for the umpteenth time - that you've
silently snipped and not commented on the bulk of my comments.

Wouldn't it be easier if you would set up some auto-responder for your
postings!? That way you would not be bothered by the ilk of me who
expect you to behave in a somewhat mature/honest way and would get the
favorable/agreeing responses which you apparently seek. Just a thought.

nospam

Apr 18, 2016, 1:31:45 PM4/18/16
In article <dnkjic...@mid.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> > > Because storage needs might/will change over time?
> >
> > people don't keep their phones forever and most stuff lives in the
> > cloud these days anyway. plus, most people upgrade every couple of
> > years.
>
> [Moronics deleted.]
>
> Well, clearly your usage model differs from mine and I'm quite sure
> also from The Real Bev's (don't know about 's|b's).

i didn't say anything about my usage model or anyone else's usage model.

> So it's probably not wise to use generalities in these kind of groups.

exactly the point.

once again, because you clearly missed it the first time:
why buy a 32 gig device when 16 gig will suffice?

the answer is because not everyone needs 32 gig (or even 16 gig). some
might need more. buy what you personally need, not what someone else
tells you to buy.

as usual, you argue even though you agree.

s|b

Apr 18, 2016, 2:25:01 PM4/18/16
On Sun, 17 Apr 2016 16:45:12 -0400, nospam wrote:

> doesn't matter.
>
> the point is why buy a 32 gig device when 16 gig will suffice?

I just checked with both my colleagues today. One has the 16GB version,
the other has the 32GB version. But when I checked the latter it said
total storage was '24,89 GB'. The 16GB version had a total storage of
around (I forgot the exact number) '14, .. GB'.

Both of them haven't installed that many apps, so IF I would buy the
Nexus 5X I'd probably go for the 32GB version. It leaves room for some
music (or a small movie).

--
s|b

nospam

Apr 18, 2016, 2:29:00 PM4/18/16
In article <dnkn3s...@mid.individual.net>, s|b <m...@privacy.invalid>
wrote:

> > the point is why buy a 32 gig device when 16 gig will suffice?
>
> I just checked with both my colleagues today. One has the 16GB version,
> the other has the 32GB version. But when I checked the latter it said
> total storage was '24,89 GB'. The 16GB version had a total storage of
> around (I forgot the exact number) '14, .. GB'.

for a nexus?

samsung is well known for adding all sorts of crap.

> Both of them haven't installed that many apps, so IF I would buy the
> Nexus 5X I'd probably go for the 32GB version. It leaves room for some
> music (or a small movie).

24 gig is still a lot of space for most people.

s|b

Apr 18, 2016, 3:53:06 PM4/18/16
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 14:29:00 -0400, nospam wrote:

> > I just checked with both my colleagues today. One has the 16GB version,
> > the other has the 32GB version. But when I checked the latter it said
> > total storage was '24,89 GB'. The 16GB version had a total storage of
> > around (I forgot the exact number) '14, .. GB'.

> for a nexus?
>
> samsung is well known for adding all sorts of crap.

True.

> > Both of them haven't installed that many apps, so IF I would buy the
> > Nexus 5X I'd probably go for the 32GB version. It leaves room for some
> > music (or a small movie).

> 24 gig is still a lot of space for most people.

I had* a 64GB flash drive. About 40GB was used with all sorts of things:
software I use, music (MP3), a couple movies, drivers, ... Now I have a
128GB flash drive. I keep it on me at all time. About 48GB is used, but
give me time, I'll get to 128. ;-)

Most people don't have a clue to what they can store on their phone.
They take pictures, make movies, maybe store music and that's about it.

* 'have' actually, but I hardly use it anymore.

--
s|b

nospam

Apr 18, 2016, 4:04:52 PM4/18/16
In article <dnks91...@mid.individual.net>, s|b <m...@privacy.invalid>
wrote:

> Most people don't have a clue to what they can store on their phone.
> They take pictures, make movies, maybe store music and that's about it.

that's why not everyone needs the maximum possible capacity.

plus, their music is already in the cloud (e.g., spotify) and their
pictures get pushed to the cloud as they take them (or shortly
thereafter).

Sandy Harrison

Apr 18, 2016, 4:21:42 PM4/18/16
nospam wrote on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:04:52 -0400:

> plus, their music is already in the cloud (e.g., spotify) and their
> pictures get pushed to the cloud as they take them (or shortly
> thereafter).

You store things on the cloud which is exactly what Apple
and Google want you to do, which is (I think) exactly why
neither one generally builds a phone with an SD card slot.

Since you do things the way the big companies want you to
do them, you have no problem with their self imposed
restrictions.

But not everyone is as limited as you are in the way
they think.

Frank Slootweg

Apr 18, 2016, 4:25:50 PM4/18/16
Hear, hear!

nospam

Apr 18, 2016, 4:26:01 PM4/18/16
In article
<dac18$571541d5$76069b77$29...@nntpswitch.blueworldhosting.com>, Sandy
Harrison <sandy.h...@xxxxx.com> wrote:

> > plus, their music is already in the cloud (e.g., spotify) and their
> > pictures get pushed to the cloud as they take them (or shortly
> > thereafter).
>
> You store things on the cloud which is exactly what Apple
> and Google want you to do,

wrong.

in fact, companies (not just apple & google) would be happier if you
paid more money for a phone or tablet that has more capacity and
*didn't* store stuff in the cloud.

> which is (I think) exactly why
> neither one generally builds a phone with an SD card slot.

wrong on that too.

> Since you do things the way the big companies want you to
> do them, you have no problem with their self imposed
> restrictions.

storing stuff in the cloud is not a restriction.

it's actually the opposite, giving the user *more* choice, not less.

> But not everyone is as limited as you are in the way
> they think.

someone who refuses to use the cloud is limited. that would be you.

The Real Bev

Apr 18, 2016, 4:46:32 PM4/18/16
On 04/18/2016 01:21 PM, Sandy Harrison wrote:
> nospam wrote on Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:04:52 -0400:
>
>> plus, their music is already in the cloud (e.g., spotify) and their
>> pictures get pushed to the cloud as they take them (or shortly
>> thereafter).
>
> You store things on the cloud which is exactly what Apple
> and Google want you to do, which is (I think) exactly why
> neither one generally builds a phone with an SD card slot.
>
> Since you do things the way the big companies want you to
> do them, you have no problem with their self imposed
> restrictions.

The cloud giveth and the cloud taketh away. Anything I put in the cloud
is strictly for sharing convenience; I wouldn't dream of keeping the
only copy of ANYTHING in google's greedy clutches.

Example: their picasa website was really nice for sharing photos.
They're removing that and moving everything to google photos, which
means throwing away all the captions -- name labels on ancestors, names
of flowers, locations, anecdotes etc. Why would they decide that this
was NOT worth keeping?

> But not everyone is as limited as you are in the way
> they think.

I know people who have never done any personalization on their computers
-- not the browser, not the email client, NOTHING. How can people live
like that?

--
Cheers, Bev
The stone age didn't end for lack of stones.

nospam

Apr 18, 2016, 4:54:32 PM4/18/16
In article <nf3gst$iob$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The cloud giveth and the cloud taketh away. Anything I put in the cloud
> is strictly for sharing convenience; I wouldn't dream of keeping the
> only copy of ANYTHING in google's greedy clutches.

nobody said that the cloud would hold the only copy (just another straw
man), but even if it did, it's still better than having the only copy
be at home, which is the case for most people.

> Example: their picasa website was really nice for sharing photos.
> They're removing that and moving everything to google photos, which
> means throwing away all the captions -- name labels on ancestors, names
> of flowers, locations, anecdotes etc. Why would they decide that this
> was NOT worth keeping?

photos can have descriptions, but what you're missing is that there's
very little need to do that manually when google photos can do it
automatically.

> > But not everyone is as limited as you are in the way
> > they think.
>
> I know people who have never done any personalization on their computers
> -- not the browser, not the email client, NOTHING. How can people live
> like that?

easily.

you do realize that your way is not the only way, right?

Frank Slootweg

Apr 18, 2016, 5:00:39 PM4/18/16
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> The cloud giveth and the cloud taketh away. Anything I put in the cloud
> is strictly for sharing convenience; I wouldn't dream of keeping the
> only copy of ANYTHING in google's greedy clutches.

Not only that, but why would you put anything which you do *not*
want/need to share in 'the cloud'?

I.e. (IMO) it's not about (not) the only copy but about (not) wanting/
needing to share.

Those who have 'everything' in the cloud, indeed have *everything* in
the cloud, including their heads.

> Example: their picasa website was really nice for sharing photos.
> They're removing that and moving everything to google photos, which
> means throwing away all the captions -- name labels on ancestors, names
> of flowers, locations, anecdotes etc. Why would they decide that this
> was NOT worth keeping?

Tell me about it. Not the same, but recently some photo-album provider
switched from one company's software to that of another company. That
caused all work-in-progress and 'old' albums to be lost. The customers
were not amused.

[...]

s|b

Apr 19, 2016, 3:29:10 PM4/19/16
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 16:04:52 -0400, nospam wrote:

> > Most people don't have a clue to what they can store on their phone.
> > They take pictures, make movies, maybe store music and that's about it.

> that's why not everyone needs the maximum possible capacity.
>
> plus, their music is already in the cloud (e.g., spotify) and their
> pictures get pushed to the cloud as they take them (or shortly
> thereafter).

I don't like the cloud and I still have music CDs. I used Exact Audio
Copy to rip all my music CDs to MP3 (320Kbps CBR). The complete
collection is about 22 GiB. So 32 GB (not 'GiB' and in fact, it appears
to be 24,89 GiB) might not be much. Even if I made a selection.

--
s|b

Frank Slootweg

Apr 19, 2016, 4:25:02 PM4/19/16
I also have my music on my (Android) device, so I can use it anywhere
and without extra (mobile data) cost. I also have many, many GBs of
offline maps for navigation. For me, a 16GB device would be too small.

As to the cloud, the attraction escapes me as well, especially for
people like us, i.e. tech savvy people. Why use an expensive - both in
monthly cloud storage charge and in mobile data charges to get the stuff
to and from the cloud -, low-speed 'solution', when you can have your
stuff on your device or/and on non-cloud storage?

I think the cloud is only appealing for people who do a lot of sharing
of their stuff or/and can't be bothered to make decent backup by other
means. For most Joe/Jane Users, the cloud is probably 'cool' and a 'must
have', without them realizing why they want it, what it costs them and
what the alternatives are.

nospam

Apr 19, 2016, 4:56:59 PM4/19/16
In article <dnnf84...@mid.individual.net>, s|b <m...@privacy.invalid>
streaming services, such as spotify, have largely replaced carrying
music for most people because they include pretty much everything other
than obscure stuff, which will easily fit on a user's device.

if spotify can cover 90% of your library, you only really need 2 gig
for what it doesn't have.

you also don't need 320k cbr mp3 on a phone as you won't hear the
difference over something more reasonable such as 160k aac (or even
lower), which means you would only need roughly 12 gig for everything
(possibly less).

nospam

Apr 19, 2016, 4:57:00 PM4/19/16
In article <dnnigt...@mid.individual.net>, Frank Slootweg
<th...@ddress.is.invalid> wrote:

> > > that's why not everyone needs the maximum possible capacity.
> > >
> > > plus, their music is already in the cloud (e.g., spotify) and their
> > > pictures get pushed to the cloud as they take them (or shortly
> > > thereafter).
> >
> > I don't like the cloud and I still have music CDs. I used Exact Audio
> > Copy to rip all my music CDs to MP3 (320Kbps CBR). The complete
> > collection is about 22 GiB. So 32 GB (not 'GiB' and in fact, it appears
> > to be 24,89 GiB) might not be much. Even if I made a selection.
>
> I also have my music on my (Android) device, so I can use it anywhere
> and without extra (mobile data) cost. I also have many, many GBs of
> offline maps for navigation. For me, a 16GB device would be too small.

and for others, a 16 gb device is more than enough.

that's why there's a choice.

> As to the cloud, the attraction escapes me as well, especially for
> people like us, i.e. tech savvy people. Why use an expensive - both in
> monthly cloud storage charge and in mobile data charges to get the stuff
> to and from the cloud -, low-speed 'solution', when you can have your
> stuff on your device or/and on non-cloud storage?

because a lot of 'tech savvy people' know how to set up their own
personal cloud, which has no monthly fees or speed limitations other
than their upload link. even with commercial cloud services, the cost
can be as little as completely free.

they also might want to access terabytes of data which won't fit on a
single device (and that's ignoring how to keep it all in sync) and/or
may want to access it from more than one device. work on a document at
the office and continue working on it while on the train.

on top of that, devices can be smart about what is kept in the cloud,
with frequently used data kept local and rarely used data offloaded,
entirely automatically.

put simply, the cloud empowers people to do things they could *not* do
any other way.

> I think the cloud is only appealing for people who do a lot of sharing
> of their stuff or/and can't be bothered to make decent backup by other
> means. For most Joe/Jane Users, the cloud is probably 'cool' and a 'must
> have', without them realizing why they want it, what it costs them and
> what the alternatives are.

that's very narrow-minded and misinformed thinking.

tlvp

Apr 19, 2016, 11:11:23 PM4/19/16
On 19 Apr 2016 20:25:01 GMT, Frank Slootweg wrote:

> ... the cloud is only appealing for people who ...

... are unaware of the *yuge* T-Mobile Microsoft Danger cloud fiasco of
some years ago. Cast [ T-Mobile Microsoft Danger Sidekick cloud fiasco ]
upon the Google waters if you've forgotten :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

The Real Bev

Apr 20, 2016, 1:44:25 AM4/20/16
I hate uploading stuff. Charter caps the upload speed at 5mbs, which is
pitiful. No idea what speeds wifi hotspots or friends provide.

--
Cheers, Bev
"People are too stupid to realize they are."

nospam

Apr 20, 2016, 11:37:19 AM4/20/16
In article <1gfpkzljhzmjq.1...@40tude.net>, tlvp
<mPiOsUcB...@att.net> wrote:

> > ... the cloud is only appealing for people who ...
>
> ... are unaware of the *yuge* T-Mobile Microsoft Danger cloud fiasco of
> some years ago. Cast [ T-Mobile Microsoft Danger Sidekick cloud fiasco ]
> upon the Google waters if you've forgotten :-) . Cheers, -- tlvp

so because of one screwup a decade ago (which they fixed) you won't use
the cloud at all? wow.

nospam

Apr 20, 2016, 11:37:19 AM4/20/16
In article <nf74pd$10m$1...@dont-email.me>, The Real Bev
<bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hate uploading stuff. Charter caps the upload speed at 5mbs, which is
> pitiful. No idea what speeds wifi hotspots or friends provide.

there's no need to manually upload anything nor is 5mbs limiting. it
all happens in the background without you even noticing it.

s|b

Apr 20, 2016, 3:50:05 PM4/20/16
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:56:58 -0400, nospam wrote:

> streaming services, such as spotify, have largely replaced carrying
> music for most people because they include pretty much everything other
> than obscure stuff, which will easily fit on a user's device.
>
> if spotify can cover 90% of your library, you only really need 2 gig
> for what it doesn't have.

And in return, Spotify knows my taste in music. Also, I need to be
connected to the Internet to use Spotify, correct? And what quality does
Spotify offer? And if I were to do this at home: my Internet traffic
(upstream=downstream) is limited to 100GiB/month.

> you also don't need 320k cbr mp3 on a phone as you won't hear the
> difference over something more reasonable such as 160k aac (or even
> lower), which means you would only need roughly 12 gig for everything
> (possibly less).

It's not that long ago that I ripped my complete collection, I'm not
going to do it again in AAC, just to gain a couple gigabytes.

--
s|b

Frank Slootweg

Apr 20, 2016, 4:03:41 PM4/20/16
s|b <m...@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 16:56:58 -0400, nospam wrote:
>
> > streaming services, such as spotify, have largely replaced carrying
> > music for most people because they include pretty much everything other
> > than obscure stuff, which will easily fit on a user's device.
> >
> > if spotify can cover 90% of your library, you only really need 2 gig
> > for what it doesn't have.
>
> And in return, Spotify knows my taste in music. Also, I need to be
> connected to the Internet to use Spotify, correct? And what quality does
> Spotify offer? And if I were to do this at home: my Internet traffic
> (upstream=downstream) is limited to 100GiB/month.

Not only that, Spotify will cost you at least 10 Euro per month. For
what? To listen to music which already own?

> > you also don't need 320k cbr mp3 on a phone as you won't hear the
> > difference over something more reasonable such as 160k aac (or even
> > lower), which means you would only need roughly 12 gig for everything
> > (possibly less).
>
> It's not that long ago that I ripped my complete collection, I'm not
> going to do it again in AAC, just to gain a couple gigabytes.

IMO, the phone argument is a non-argument. The quality will depend
mainly on the quality of the headset (or other audio output device/
chain), not so much on the fact that the media player is a 'measly'
phone.

tlvp

Apr 21, 2016, 1:12:15 AM4/21/16
On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 22:44:23 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

> Charter caps the upload speed at 5mbs

You're complaining? Frontier gives me upload speeds under 10% of that :-{ !

The Real Bev

Apr 21, 2016, 10:40:43 AM4/21/16
On 04/20/2016 10:12 PM, tlvp wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2016 22:44:23 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:
>
>> Charter caps the upload speed at 5mbs
>
> You're complaining? Frontier gives me upload speeds under 10% of that :-{ !

When they raise their prices and download speeds, they should raise
upload speeds too -- they've NEVER changed.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?" --Juvenal

s|b

Apr 21, 2016, 2:54:00 PM4/21/16
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 01:12:25 -0400, tlvp wrote:

> > Charter caps the upload speed at 5mbs

> You're complaining? Frontier gives me upload speeds under 10% of that :-{ !

I get 30Mbps down, 3Mbps up and 100GiB/month, cable connection, but I
have the cheapest subscription.

--
s|b

Frank Slootweg

Apr 21, 2016, 3:47:00 PM4/21/16
I get 40Mbps down, 4Mbps up, unlimited, also cable (HFC) and also have
the cheapest subscription.

Next?

easyb...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2020, 8:23:26 PM2/11/20
I had this problem and the fix was stupidly simple!

I have Android 5.1.1

For years my Voice Recorder would save the files to SD card.
Suddenly (a few months ago) it automatically started saving the Audio files to Internal Phone memory.

My camera and other apps were fine. They all saved to SD card.

It was only the Voice Recorder that wasn't doing it.
There are no settings within the Voice Recorder App.

How I fixed it:"
- I removed and reinserted the SD card a few times !
(for some reason, the Voice Recorder app hadnt recognised that an SD card had been inserted). I must have removed it at some point and the app didnt acknowledge it being reinserted.

simple.
now it works fine ;)