Hint for another way to read Usenet newsgroups in a single tap

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 9:18:25 AM8/16/16
Here is a simple hint for easily reading Usenet newsgroups with just 1 tap:
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZqcDqp.gif

Since there really is no decent Usenet newsgroup client for either Android
or iOS (IMHO), one hint for simply *reading* any number of Usenet
newsgroups is to save a shortcut to each google archive to that newsgroup
on your desktop.

You can easily put a shortcut to each Usenet newsgroup you care about into
a Usenet folder and when you tap on that shortcut, up comes the very latest
news, as archived by Google, in your favorite browser.

You can probably just as easily save a link to the newsgroup on any modern
browser, but the one I just tested was Firefox on Android:

Here's how I created a link to misc.phone.mobile.iphone for reading:
http://i.cubeupload.com/P1uR2N.gif

Point Firefox to http://tinyurl.com/misc-phone-mobile-iphone
http://i.cubeupload.com/P1uR2N.gif

Tap:
a. "Main menu" ( http://i.cubeupload.com/P1uR2N.gif )
b. "Page" ( http://i.cubeupload.com/Wr8HCT.gif )
c. "Add to Home Screen" ( http://i.cubeupload.com/429YQR.gif )

That creates a desktop shortcut which you can organize as you see fit:
http://i.cubeupload.com/H5R41I.gif

You can put the Usenet newsgroups you frequently read in a folder, e.g.,
http://tinyurl.com/misc-phone-mobile-iphone
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-android
http://tinyurl.com/comp-mobile-ipad
etc.

Forevermore, it's one tap to read any specific Usenet newsgroup.
http://i.cubeupload.com/ZqcDqp.gif

NOTE: You can also post using this method, but, almost none of us use GG to
post content so I don't recommend posting.

{Improvements always welcome.}

AL

Aug 16, 2016, 12:18:55 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks wrote:

> Since there really is no decent Usenet newsgroup client for either Android
> or iOS (IMHO),
> one hint for simply *reading* any number of Usenet
> newsgroups is to save a shortcut to each google archive to that newsgroup
> on your desktop.

You're recommending using a Google product??? 8-O

If you're *reading* many groups your method would sure make
a lot of shortcuts. Why not just go to Google Groups direct
and put your newsgroups on their 'Favorites' list? (You
don't have to join a group to do that.) That way only one
shortcut, to your favorite browser.

ElfinArc6

Aug 16, 2016, 2:10:17 PM8/16/16
AL <noe...@none.com> Wrote in message:
I would argue with his premise that there are no good usenet
clients on either iOS or Android. While there are none that are
as powerful and flexible as some on desktop OS's, there are
certainly at least 2 on each mobile OS that are very
functional.

iOS : Newstap, YRNewsHD
Android: Nntp News Rearder, Groundhog. Note there are many more
on Android, those are the only two I've actually
used.

--
Elfin

Jolly Roger

Aug 16, 2016, 2:15:39 PM8/16/16
Yep. And they are arguably more functional than Google Groups.

JR

ElfinArc6

Aug 16, 2016, 2:41:47 PM8/16/16
Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> Wrote in message:
> On 2016-08-16, ElfinArc6 <elfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> AL <noe...@none.com> Wrote in message:

>>> You're recommending using a Google product??? 8-O
>>>
>>> If you're *reading* many groups your method would sure make a lot of
>>> shortcuts. Why not just go to Google Groups direct and put your
>>> newsgroups on their 'Favorites' list? (You don't have to join a group
>>> to do that.) That way only one shortcut, to your favorite browser.
>>>
>> I would argue with his premise that there are no good usenet clients
>> on either iOS or Android. While there are none that are as powerful
>> and flexible as some on desktop OS's, there are certainly at least 2
>> on each mobile OS that are very functional.
>>
>> iOS : Newstap, YRNewsHD Android: Nntp News Rearder, Groundhog. Note
>> there are many more on Android, those are the only two I've actually
>> used.
>
> Yep. And they are arguably more functional than Google Groups.

Not just 'arguably'!! :)

YRNewsHD for iOS is a fairly simplistic usenet client, but it
works quite well for text only groups. Missing some features I'd
like to see.
Newstap has been the 'go to' usenet client for iOS for a very long
time. Very functional with nearly all the bells and whistles
you'd want.

On Android, the Nntp News Reader is a lot different to set up, but
when it is, it works very well. Much better than Groundhog
IMO.

Compared to GG they are all MUCH better!

--
Elfin

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 4:00:28 PM8/16/16
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 09:18:59 -0700, AL wrote:

> You're recommending using a Google product???

That's a good point, but I don't even have a GOogle ID, nor do I ever log
into any Google product, so, it's just like using Google Search.

You don't need to log in, and I'm always on VPN, so, Google has an IP
address somewhere in the Crimea or Somalia for the connection. :)

> If you're *reading* many groups your method would sure make
> a lot of shortcuts.

I only read and contribute to about three or four groups.
How many do you contribute to?

More than that and you don't have time in a day to do it well.

> Why not just go to Google Groups direct
> and put your newsgroups on their 'Favorites' list? (You
> don't have to join a group to do that.) That way only one
> shortcut, to your favorite browser.

That is an improvement that some people may prefer, so thanks for bringing
that up.

My main goal was to skim a newsgroup for new messages so that I didn't have
to go to the computer to figure out what my phone could tell me in a single
tap.

The main advantage is that the shortcuts are a single tap per newsgroup.
1. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.android
2. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.ipad
3. Tap - and you're reading misc.phone.mobile.iphone
etc.

The goal is to never need to *type* anything. Just one tap.

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 4:00:31 PM8/16/16
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:18:23 +0000 (UTC), Aardvarks wrote:

> {Improvements always welcome.}

The main advantage of this method is that there is *zero* typing involved,
and, it's a single-tap (and then scrolling) to skim a newsgroup for new
messages.

One improvement on organization is to shorten the default name of the link

FROM: misc.phone.mobile.iphone - Google Groups
TO: m.p.m.i (or just "iphone")

FROM: comp.mobile.android - Google Groups
TO: c.m.a (or just "android")

FROM: comp.mobile.ipad - Google Groups
TO: c.m.i (or just "ipad")

etc.

I now have a folder of these links for single-tap reading of newsgroups,
when/if I want them. Nothing here precludes using a bona-fide Usenet
newsgroup reader (which I also have).

Jolly Roger

Aug 16, 2016, 4:30:02 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks <aard...@a.b.c.com> wrote:

> My main goal was to skim a newsgroup for new messages so that I didn't have
> to go to the computer to figure out what my phone could tell me in a single
> tap.

There's no need for a computer or Google Groups in a web browser when you
have a mobile Usenet client.

> The goal is to never need to *type* anything. Just one tap.

...and no need to type anything either.

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 4:34:37 PM8/16/16
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:41:44 -0500 (CDT), ElfinArc6 wrote:

>> Yep. And they are arguably more functional than Google Groups.
>>
> Not just 'arguably'!! :)

Is it just me, or was it *obvious* that this hint was about sheer
efficiency and simplicity, and *not* about functionality?

Wasn't it clear, from the start, that if you really wanted *functionality*,
you wouldn't be using a mobile Usenet client in the first place?

Could I have made the main point more obvious?

This hint is about *simplicity* & *efficiency*.
One tap. That's it.

One tap and you're reading any given Usenet newsgroup.

> YRNewsHD for iOS is a fairly simplistic usenet client, but it
> works quite well for text only groups. Missing some features I'd
> like to see.
> Newstap has been the 'go to' usenet client for iOS for a very long
> time. Very functional with nearly all the bells and whistles
> you'd want.
>
> On Android, the Nntp News Reader is a lot different to set up, but
> when it is, it works very well. Much better than Groundhog
> IMO.
>
> Compared to GG they are all MUCH better!

First off, we're only talking about *reading* Usenet newgroups.
And, we're talking only about the most *efficient* (single tap) methods.

Given that's what we're talking about, I would argue with you that, for
*reading* Usenet newsgroups *efficiently*, that a Usenet client on a mobile
device is not necessarily better than viewing the latest Google Groups'
archives.

And, I would argue that if you really want *functionality* in a Usenet
client, then you wouldn't be using a mobile client in the first place
(e.g., my Usenet clients have pre and post-processing scripts that run on
every incoming and outgoing message).

Besides, even if you had functionality on a typical mobile device, you're
still severely restricted by the lack of a 3D keyboard, which you "can"
have on a mobile device, but very few people do.

So, please remember that this post is about single-tap *efficiency*.
It's not about functionality (which doesn't exist on mobile devices).

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 4:34:41 PM8/16/16
On 16 Aug 2016 18:15:39 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> Yep. And they are arguably more functional than Google Groups.

That you instantly argue against simplicity shows me exactly how your mind
works - and - since you're one of the simplest of iOS users - I study your

Every time you post, I learn more about iOS users, because you have
absolutely zero reading-comprehension skills - so - you always post how
*your* brain works, irrespective of the actual topic.

*In this case, you inherently argue against efficiency.*

It's actually perfect that you entirely miss the main premise every time,
because, to you, it's just a "general thought" where your innate thinking
process controls all your output.

You see - you post ... you don't ever *think*.

Please keep in mind the main premise of this hint.
[HINT: The premise of this hint was *not* functionality.]

If you needed functionality, you wouldn't be using a mobile-device Usenet
client in the first place.

*This hint was about efficiency.*

One tap, and you're reading the newsgroup of your choice.

No typing. No searching. No switching newsgroups. Just one tap.
It's fast. It's simple. And it's efficient.

But I never said nor ever implied that a single-tap browser shortcut was as
powerful as a Usenet client, and, the fact that you even argue against
simplicity just makes it clear *exactly* how *your* brain works.

That you instantly argue against simplicity shows me exactly how your mind
works, and, since you're one of the simplest of all iOS users, I love when
you post because I learn how the average iOS user thinks from studying you.

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 4:34:45 PM8/16/16
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:10:14 -0500 (CDT), ElfinArc6 wrote:

> I would argue with his premise that there are no good usenet
> clients on either iOS or Android. While there are none that are
> as powerful and flexible as some on desktop OS's, there are
> certainly at least 2 on each mobile OS that are very
> functional.
>
> iOS : Newstap, YRNewsHD
> Android: Nntp News Rearder, Groundhog. Note there are many more
> on Android, those are the only two I've actually
> used.

I agree. I've used them all, on both iOS and Android.

They're not as feature rich as the desktop clients (e.g., my newsreader
does both pre and post processing with scripts, which just isn't in the
cards for the mobile Usenet clients.

Plus simply *typing* is a chore on a mobile device.

So that's why I only set up this method for reading (where, for
emergencies, I also have the other Usenet clients installed on both Android
& on iOS).

Jolly Roger

Aug 16, 2016, 4:59:38 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks <aard...@a.b.c.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 13:41:44 -0500 (CDT), ElfinArc6 wrote:
>
>>> Yep. And they are arguably more functional than Google Groups.
>>>
>> Not just 'arguably'!! :)
>
> if you really wanted *functionality*,
> you wouldn't be using a mobile Usenet client in the first place?

No. And it doesn't change the fact that Google Groups is far less
functional than native mobile Usenet clients, either.

> This hint is about *simplicity* & *efficiency*.
> One tap. That's it.
>
> One tap and you're reading any given Usenet newsgroup.

As opposed to a whopping *two* taps with a mobile client. Not to mention
you have to exit and tap another shortcut to read other groups with your
"solution". YUGE savings there.

>> Compared to GG they are all MUCH better!
>
> First off, we're only talking about *reading* Usenet newgroups.

Native clients are still way better since they have more reading and other
functionality.

> I would argue with you that, for
> *reading* Usenet newsgroups *efficiently*, that a Usenet client on a mobile
> device is not necessarily better than viewing the latest Google Groups'
> archives.

Wrong. Not only do native mobile clients tend to display content in a more
readable manner better suited to mobile devices than Google Groups, but
they also offer way more associated functionality.

Jolly Roger

Aug 16, 2016, 5:02:46 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks <aard...@a.b.c.com> wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2016 18:15:39 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Yep. And they are arguably more functional than Google Groups.
>
> That you instantly argue against simplicity shows me exactly how your mind
> works - and - since you're one of the simplest of iOS users

Predictably you resort to insults because you have nothing substantive to
offer. Troll on.

[lame troll ramblings omitted]

> One tap, and you're reading the newsgroup of your choice.

As opposed to two taps with more functionality using a mobile client.

> No typing.

No typing is needed with my mobile client.

> No searching.

Not needed either.

> No switching newsgroups.

It's one tap to switch to a news group in a mobile client.

> Just one tap.

Then to switch to another news group you'd have to exit and tap another
shortcut which is actually more work than it is with a mobile client which
requires a single tap.

[more lame troll ramblings omitted]

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 5:20:00 PM8/16/16
On 16 Aug 2016 21:02:44 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> As opposed to two taps with more functionality using a mobile client.

The browser-shortcut method works for discussion forums also.

That means you can organize a "discussion" folder where you can save
browser links either to Usenet newgroups or discussion forums alike.

For example, on Android:
http://androidforums.com/forums/android-applications.4/

For example, on iOS:
https://forums.developer.apple.com/community/safari-and-web/ios-web-apps

Fast. Simple. Efficient.

AL

Aug 16, 2016, 6:01:04 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks wrote:

> I only read and contribute to about three or four groups.
> How many do you contribute to?

Recently? Maybe 6. I've been frequenting Usenet since the
80s so lots more over the years. Unfortunately most of my
favorite groups have died.

> More than that and you don't have time in a day to do it well.

Lots of time when you're retired. Doing it well is another
matter.

> My main goal was to skim a newsgroup for new messages so that I didn't have
> to go to the computer to figure out what my phone could tell me in a single
> tap.

I've never tried to post on my phone when I'm out. Too much
of a hassle. Like many others I wait until I get home to a
real keyboard. But I often read my groups on my phone when
killing time. Google Groups makes it very easy with their
'Favorites'. Once in Groups and one tap and I'm there. Damn,
now I'm doing the tap dance thing...

> The main advantage is that the shortcuts are a single tap per newsgroup.
> 1. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.android
> 2. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.ipad
> 3. Tap - and you're reading misc.phone.mobile.iphone
> etc.

Wouldn't that be 2 taps? One to leave the current group for
the shortcut screen and another on the shortcut to get to
the next group.

> The goal is to never need to *type* anything. Just one tap.

What if the goal is to avoid a cluttered screen? What if the
goal is simplicity? YMMV.

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 6:04:05 PM8/16/16
On 16 Aug 2016 20:30:00 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:

> There's no need for a computer or Google Groups in a web browser when you
> have a mobile Usenet client.

The method shown works for both discussion groups and for Usenet
newsgroups.

For iOS users, this explains how to create the desktop shortcuts to any
Usenet newsgroup or forum discussion group using Safari:
http://www.howtogeek.com/196087/how-to-add-websites-to-the-home-screen-on-any-smartphone-or-tablet/

1. Launch the Safari browser on AppleĄŚs iOS
2. Navigate to the website or web page you want to add to your home screen
3. Tap the Share button on the browserĄŚs toolbar ĄX thatĄŚs the rectangle
with an arrow pointing upward. ItĄŚs on the bar at the top of the screen on
an iPad, and on the bar at the bottom of the screen on an iPhone or iPod
Touch.
4. Tap the Add to Home Screen icon in the Share menu.
5. YouĄŚll be prompted to name the shortcut before tapping the Add button.
6. The shortcut can be dragged around and placed in your discussions
folder.

ElfinArc6

Aug 16, 2016, 6:06:07 PM8/16/16
AL <noe...@none.com> Wrote in message:
> Aardvarks wrote:
>
>> I only read and contribute to about three or four groups.
>> How many do you contribute to?
>
> Recently? Maybe 6. I've been frequenting Usenet since the
> 80s so lots more over the years. Unfortunately most of my
> favorite groups have died.

Some of mine are still there but have been either taken over by
trolls or the political bunch.

>> More than that and you don't have time in a day to do it well.
>
> Lots of time when you're retired. Doing it well is another
> matter.

Amen!! Being retired opens up more time

>> My main goal was to skim a newsgroup for new messages so that I didn't have
>> to go to the computer to figure out what my phone could tell me in a single
>> tap.
>
> I've never tried to post on my phone when I'm out. Too much
> of a hassle. Like many others I wait until I get home to a
> real keyboard. But I often read my groups on my phone when
> killing time. Google Groups makes it very easy with their
> 'Favorites'. Once in Groups and one tap and I'm there. Damn,
> now I'm doing the tap dance thing...

I don't even look at usenet on the phone, don't want to have to
break out the reading glasses! I usually am on either the iPad
Pro or the Pixel Chromebook, with some little time on a Nexus 9
tablet.

>> The main advantage is that the shortcuts are a single tap per newsgroup.
>> 1. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.android
>> 2. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.ipad
>> 3. Tap - and you're reading misc.phone.mobile.iphone
>> etc.
>
> Wouldn't that be 2 taps? One to leave the current group for
> the shortcut screen and another on the shortcut to get to
> the next group.
>
>> The goal is to never need to *type* anything. Just one tap.
>
> What if the goal is to avoid a cluttered screen? What if the
> goal is simplicity? YMMV.

Then he'd put all those links in a folder and add a tap to each!! :)

--
Elfin

ElfinArc6

Aug 16, 2016, 6:08:21 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks <aard...@a.b.c.com> Wrote in message:
> On 16 Aug 2016 20:30:00 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> There's no need for a computer or Google Groups in a web browser when you
>> have a mobile Usenet client.
>
> The method shown works for both discussion groups and for Usenet
> newsgroups.
>
> For iOS users, this explains how to create the desktop shortcuts to any
> Usenet newsgroup or forum discussion group using Safari:
> http://www.howtogeek.com/196087/how-to-add-websites-to-the-home-screen-on-any-smartphone-or-tablet/
>
> 1. Launch the Safari browser on Apple’s iOS
> 2. Navigate to the website or web page you want to add to your home scrBigeen
> 3. Tap the Share button on the browser’s toolbar — that’s the rectangle
> with an arrow pointing upward. It’s on the bar at the top of the screen on
> an iPad, and on the bar at the bottom of the screen on an iPhone or iPod
> Touch.
> 4. Tap the Add to Home Screen icon in the Share menu.
> 5. You’ll be prompted to name the shortcut before tapping the Add button.
> 6. The shortcut can be dragged around and placed in your discussions
> folder.

Big whoop! No need to do it on either Android or iOS, it doesn't
accomplish anything but does allow for playing with the gear vice
actually using it for something somewhat productive.

Typical for a dweeb!

--
Elfin

AL

Aug 16, 2016, 6:10:28 PM8/16/16
Jolly Roger wrote:

> Google Groups is far less
> functional than native mobile Usenet clients

If we're talking *reading only* on a phone screen then
I disagree. At least as compared to the Android clients I've
used. YMMV.

> Not only do native mobile clients tend to display content in a more
> readable manner better suited to mobile devices than Google Groups,

Have you tried GG recently on an Android phone? Course this
was originally cross posted so perhaps you're talking about
iOS devices. I have no experience in that department.

> but
> they also offer way more associated functionality.

Does your app sync your groups across devices? Get a new
phone and it's already set up for you. No install, no server
setup, no get all groups hassle, no subscribe hassle, etc.
Does your app tell you the time/date of the last post
without opening the thread? How about total posts? Saves
time when exploring new groups.

Jolly Roger

Aug 16, 2016, 6:18:22 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks <aard...@a.b.c.com> wrote:
> On 16 Aug 2016 20:30:00 GMT, Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> There's no need for a computer or Google Groups in a web browser when you
>> have a mobile Usenet client.
>
> The method shown works for both discussion groups and for Usenet
> newsgroups.
>
> For iOS users, this explains how to create the desktop shortcuts

*YAWN* We've known how to create browser shortcuts on iOS for a long, long
time. It has been discussed here many times in the past.

Whether a shortcut to the Google Groups website is simpler or faster than
using a native mobile Usenet client is debatable at best. And there is no
disputing a mobile Usenet client is *far* more functional and better suited
to a mobile device than the Google Groups website.

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 6:20:03 PM8/16/16
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:08:19 -0500 (CDT), ElfinArc6 wrote:

> Big whoop! No need to do it on either Android or iOS, it doesn't
> accomplish anything but does allow for playing with the gear vice
> actually using it for something somewhat productive.
>

> Typical for a dweeb!

It's interesting that the iOS users can't handle multiple ways of doing
things.

It's like you're all stuck in a one-button-mouse world.

You deprecate any solution that Apple Marketing didn't tell you to use.

You can't handle ideas.
You can only follow one-button-mouse directions.

I love when you post - because I learn more from people like you about how
the average iOS users' think - than I learn from guys like nospam and
savageduck (who are more complex than you are).

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 6:20:05 PM8/16/16
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:10:32 -0700, AL wrote:

> Does your app sync your groups across devices?

Thank you for adding value.

You have an interesting point that this browser link method of reading
Usenet newsgroups and forum discussion groups automatically catches up to
the latest posts on any device it's used on.

While it's not the only way to do things, it's nice to have this method in
our repertoire.

The iOS-only guy Jolly Roger only knows of one-button-mouse solutions that
Apple Marketing tells him, so, having a second way of doing things just
confuses and irritates him. Most of the iOS users are similar, but some are
intelligent enough to handle two-button-mouse solutions.

Aardvarks

Aug 16, 2016, 6:20:08 PM8/16/16
On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 15:01:08 -0700, AL wrote:

>> I only read and contribute to about three or four groups.
>> How many do you contribute to?
>
> Recently? Maybe 6. I've been frequenting Usenet since the
> 80s so lots more over the years. Unfortunately most of my
> favorite groups have died.

Same with me on all counts.

>> More than that and you don't have time in a day to do it well.
>
> Lots of time when you're retired. Doing it well is another
> matter.

Heh heh ... we're both retired and in the same boat there...

>> My main goal was to skim a newsgroup for new messages so that I didn't have
>> to go to the computer to figure out what my phone could tell me in a single
>> tap.
>
> I've never tried to post on my phone when I'm out. Too much
> of a hassle. Like many others I wait until I get home to a
> real keyboard.

Yup. A real keyboard. 3D keys. I hate that bluetooth flat stuff.

> But I often read my groups on my phone when
> killing time. Google Groups makes it very easy with their
> 'Favorites'. Once in Groups and one tap and I'm there. Damn,
> now I'm doing the tap dance thing...

I agree that there are more than one way to easily skim newsgroup posts.
I use the same method to skim discussion forums also.

For example, I just happened across an old review of mine for *offline* map
apps using one of my saved links in the discussions folder.
http://androidforums.com/threads/my-test-of-freeware-android-offline-gps-navigation-applications.806872/

>> The main advantage is that the shortcuts are a single tap per newsgroup.
>> 1. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.android
>> 2. Tap - and you're reading comp.mobile.ipad
>> 3. Tap - and you're reading misc.phone.mobile.iphone
>> etc.
>
> Wouldn't that be 2 taps? One to leave the current group for
> the shortcut screen and another on the shortcut to get to
> the next group.

In effect, here's what I do in order to read two newsgroups and one forum
discussion group:

1. At the desktop, I tap on newgroup1 and read that newsgroup1.
2. I tap the home button (which brings me back to the desktop).
3. Then I tap on forum-discussion1 and read that forum discussion1.
4. I repeat step 2 above.
5. Finally I tap on newsgroup2 and read newsgroup2.

It's simple. Fast. Efficient. And extensible to more than just Usenet.
But it's not the only way of doing things.

Jolly Roger

Aug 16, 2016, 6:20:17 PM8/16/16
ElfinArc6 <elfi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't even look at usenet on the phone, don't want to have to
> break out the reading glasses!

Meh. The font size on iOS Usenet clients is adjustable making it perfectly
legible for just about anyone.

AL

Aug 16, 2016, 6:21:35 PM8/16/16
ElfinArc6 wrote:

> I don't even look at usenet on the phone, don't want to have to
> break out the reading glasses!

Someday when you get old you will have trifocals like me and
then you won't have to break out the reading glasses cause
they will already be on your nose... ;)

Jolly Roger

Aug 16, 2016, 6:29:46 PM8/16/16
Aardvarks <aard...@a.b.c.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:08:19 -0500 (CDT), ElfinArc6 wrote:
>
>> Big whoop! No need to do it on either Android or iOS, it doesn't
>> accomplish anything but does allow for playing with the gear vice
>> actually using it for something somewhat productive.
>>
>> Typical for a dweeb!
>
> It's interesting that the iOS users can't handle multiple ways of doing
> things.

More insults indicating you have nothing. Troll on.

> It's like you're all stuck in a one-button-mouse world.
>
> You deprecate any solution that Apple Marketing didn't tell you to use.

That statement is pure idiocy considering it was *Apple* who added the Add
to Home Screen feature...

[further insults and trollish ranting omitted]

ElfinArc6

Aug 16, 2016, 6:34:35 PM8/16/16
AL <noe...@none.com> Wrote in message:
LOL!!

After the cataract surgery my distance vision is wonderful, no
glasses needed. But up close and personal is a very different
matter!!

--
Elfin