Where to find downloaded movies?

VanguardLH

Jul 15, 2016, 12:54:56 AM7/15/16
Samsung Galaxy Core Prime
Android 4.4.4 Kitkat

I used Comcast's "Xfinity TV Go" app to download some movies. Got 3 of
them but downloading halted on the 4th because all the main memory got
sucked up. There is only 8GB in my smartphone of which 4GB gets eaten by
the OS and pre-installed apps and some apps I've installed since. I've
moved the apps to the SD card for those with that option in Application
Manager.

I called Comcast and they admit their app will download into the main
memory. Yeah, they claim they are working on adding support for
secondary storage (SD card) but they said that over a year and half ago,
too. Not going to happen. I'd like to move their movie downloads to the
SD card. If I have to, I will move them back one at a time to the
original download location to play them from there. I'm not looking to
keep the movies, just stow them until I get around to watching them,
especially if I expect to be offline for awhile, like when flying.

The problem is I don't know where is their app's download location. I
got the ES File Explorer app (spamware so got rid of it afterward) but
still could not find the downloaded movie file. Where might be likely
paths to where they download?

No, I have not rooted my smartphone. Just got it and don't want to void
its warranty. Plus I'm a noob with using smartphones. I'm one of those
that said for years and years "All I want is a plain phone. No texting,
no web, no fancy-schmancy fluff, just a phone." Yeah, well that stopped
being a reasonable excuse so I got one but I still have a simple flip
phone. I'm not familiar with the file system in Android and it's been a
decade since I dealt with *NIX. Tried using ES File Explorer to hunt
around, found no movie files, but suspect some folders or files might be
hidden (and cannot be unhidden) until I'm rooted. If true, I'll find
something else to, ahem, entertain myself during the long flights.

tlvp

Jul 16, 2016, 2:28:34 AM7/16/16
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 23:54:53 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> Samsung Galaxy Core Prime
> Android 4.4.4 Kitkat
>
> I used Comcast's "Xfinity TV Go" app to download some movies. Got 3 of
> them but downloading halted on the 4th because all the main memory got
> sucked up. There is only 8GB in my smartphone of which 4GB gets eaten by
> the OS and pre-installed apps and some apps I've installed since. I've
> moved the apps to the SD card for those with that option in Application
> Manager.
>
> I called Comcast and they admit their app will download into the main
> memory. Yeah, they claim they are working on adding support for
> secondary storage (SD card) but they said that over a year and half ago,
> too. Not going to happen. I'd like to move their movie downloads to the
> SD card. If I have to, I will move them back one at a time to the
> original download location to play them from there. I'm not looking to
> keep the movies, just stow them until I get around to watching them,
> especially if I expect to be offline for awhile, like when flying.
>
> The problem is I don't know where is their app's download location. I
> got the ES File Explorer app (spamware so got rid of it afterward) but
> still could not find the downloaded movie file. Where might be likely
> paths to where they download?

Likely candidates to look into on my phone (where I've downloaded other
stuff, but not Comcast movies) include (within Internal Phone Storage):

- amazonmp3
- data
- dcim
- download
- kindle

and subdirectories thereof. HTH. Cheers, -- tlvp

VanguardLH

Jul 16, 2016, 9:19:44 PM7/16/16
I remember looking under data and download folders but nothing in there
(well, nothing was shown to me). I found some com.comcast.<something>
folders on the system volume but didn't find any video files under
there. I'm hoping not being rooted means the downloaded movies are kept
invisible to me.

Any recommendation on a file manager to use in Android that is devoid of
spam? Heard good things about ES File Explorer until I found it bloated
the analyze feature with ads and also shoved out spam notifications to
nuisance me. That got uninstalled pretty quick. Need a free file
manager with no spam, especially not "active" spam that nails me when
I'm not even using the program. A search would be handy, too, but I'm
now sure what file extension the downloaded movies use.

David Taylor

Jul 17, 2016, 4:35:50 AM7/17/16
On 17/07/2016 02:19, VanguardLH wrote:
[]
> Any recommendation on a file manager to use in Android that is devoid of
> spam? Heard good things about ES File Explorer until I found it bloated
> the analyze feature with ads and also shoved out spam notifications to
> nuisance me. That got uninstalled pretty quick. Need a free file
> manager with no spam, especially not "active" spam that nails me when
> I'm not even using the program. A search would be handy, too, but I'm
> now sure what file extension the downloaded movies use.

I'm not aware of a lot, if any, spam on:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm.hd&hl=en_GB

--
Cheers,
David

VanguardLH

Jul 17, 2016, 4:21:17 PM7/17/16
I noticed on that page it says "Offers in-app purchases" and below it
says "In-app Products, $2.99 per item". You sure it has no spam? Is
the in-app spam just a prod to buy a Pro or payware version of their
app? I went to http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/, clicked on the "More"
hamburger icon, and couldn't even find this app listed there. I did,
however, see a link to "Cheetah Ad Platform". If there is no Pro or
extra-featured payware version of this app, just what would they be
selling in their app at $2.99 a pop?

tlvp

Jul 17, 2016, 11:57:06 PM7/17/16
On Sat, 16 Jul 2016 20:19:42 -0500, VanguardLH requested:

> Any recommendation on a file manager to use in Android

Sorry. In Android 2.3.5 (GingerBread, is it called?) the resident file
manager ("Files") seems to fulfill all my needs thus far.

Google will serve you up numerous "10 best Android file manager" pages if
you just feed it the phrase Android File Managers. Something mentioned in
one of the first few of those items (by LifeHacker, TomsGuide, MakeUseOf,
AndroidCentral, etc.) may have what you require. HTH.

VanguardLH

Jul 18, 2016, 3:26:36 AM7/18/16
tlvp wrote:

> VanguardLH requested:
>
>> Any recommendation on a file manager to use in Android
>
> Sorry. In Android 2.3.5 (GingerBread, is it called?) the resident file
> manager ("Files") seems to fulfill all my needs thus far.
>
> Google will serve you up numerous "10 best Android file manager" pages if
> you just feed it the phrase Android File Managers. Something mentioned in
> one of the first few of those items (by LifeHacker, TomsGuide, MakeUseOf,
> AndroidCentral, etc.) may have what you require. HTH.

Alas, that's the type of search that led me to ES File Explorer. Guess
the users reviewing that app don't care about intrusive ads. I'm not
against some ads *within* a free app, like features that say you have to
upgrade WHEN you try to use them or a banner in their GUI. ES File
Explorer is rife with ads when you try their Analyzer feature. The din
of the spam noise swamps out finding the feature. So I just wouldn't
bother using their Analyzer to avoid that spam noise. It was when I got
notifications shoved at me from this intrusive app got immediately
uninstalled. I'd see the notification LED blinking, hear the beep for
the notification, unlock my phone, drop down the notification panel, and
there was some spam crap from this app. Not going to happen any more
with that app. It's gone!

There is the "My Files" app but haven't found much in there. Alas, I
just deleted the downloaded movie to free up the 800+ MB of space it was
consuming of main memory. Will have to do the download again and see if
"My Files" shows the movie file. I did find in that app a Comcast
folder so I'll look there after the download completes. Now I have to
wait for the download to complete. Argh!

What's your guess for the extension of a downloaded movie file? My
guess is .mp4 but cannot be sure until I find one of their downloads.

David Taylor

Jul 18, 2016, 3:30:15 AM7/18/16
On 17/07/2016 21:21, VanguardLH wrote:
> David Taylor wrote:
[]
>> I'm not aware of a lot, if any, spam on:
>>
>> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm.hd&hl=en_GB
>
> I noticed on that page it says "Offers in-app purchases" and below it
> says "In-app Products, $2.99 per item". You sure it has no spam? Is
> the in-app spam just a prod to buy a Pro or payware version of their
> app? I went to http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/, clicked on the "More"
> hamburger icon, and couldn't even find this app listed there. I did,
> however, see a link to "Cheetah Ad Platform". If there is no Pro or
> extra-featured payware version of this app, just what would they be
> selling in their app at $2.99 a pop?

I can't answer that, as I've never seen an invite to purchase anything
extra when I've been using the program. Mostly I use the program for
transfers from the PC to the phone (it uses FTP).

It's possible that I've never triggered an invite to buy something
(which I wouldn't regard as "spam" in any case if the program clearly
states its intent to do that at download time), it's also possible that
I have a "full" version of the program, but I'm unsure show to check as
there's nothing obvious in the About.

M.L.

Jul 18, 2016, 6:07:09 PM7/18/16

>ES File
>Explorer is rife with ads when you try their Analyzer feature.

You can ignore the analyzer feature by selecting a different ES home
page.

> It was when I got
>notifications shoved at me from this intrusive app got immediately
>uninstalled.

Pretty sure those can be turned off. I don't see them but it might be
because my rooted phone gives me access to features not available to
you. Some Android versions allow you to long-press on a notification,
which gives you the option to turn them off for that app.