MAC randomization

paul

May 28, 2021, 9:11:23 PM5/28/21
I found two MAC randomization settings others can benefit from
(while native Android MAC Randomization has been around since
Android 8 and is also apparently on OS 14 & Windows 10, it has
only been enabled by default on Android since Android 10 & 11).

"Every time your device connects to a new network it can use a
randomized MAC address. Why is this important? To put it simply:
Privacy."
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-enable-enhanced-randomize-mac-addresses-on-android/

"Starting in Android 8.0, Android devices use randomized MAC addresses
when probing for new networks while not currently associated with a
network. MAC randomization prevents listeners from using MAC addresses
to build a history of device activity, thus increasing user privacy."
https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-mac-randomization

Here are the two related settings I found on my Android phone.
1... Randomized MAC
2... Change MAC on every connection to a randomized MAC

1... Randomized MAC (per SSID)
Android11Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Select SSID {GearIcon} >
Advanced > MAC Address Type = {Randomized MAC,Phone MAC}

2... Change MAC on every connection to a randomized MAC
Android11Settings > Developer options > Networking >
Enhanced Wi-Fi MAC randomization = on/off
"Change this phone's MAC address each time it connects
to a network that has MAC randomization turned on.

Randomization can be set up per network profile (SSID) but
"Once a random MAC address is used for a given network profile,
the mobile device will continue to use the same random MAC address
even after the user deletes the network profile and recreates
the SSID/network profile."
https://cloud4wi.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360050545412-How-to-Address-MAC-Randomization-Today

Unfortunately, it's easy to identify a randomized MAC address.
"There is a bit which gets set in the OUI portion of a MAC address to
signify a randomized / locally administered address. The quick synopsis
is look at the second character in a MAC address, if it is a 2, 6, A,
or E it is a randomized address."
https://www.mist.com/get-to-know-mac-address-randomization-in-2020/

If you have more value to add to this technical topic, please do.
Everything each of us knows can add to what everyone else can learn.
--
Windows 10 MAC Randomization
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-use-random-hardware-addresses-ac58de34-35fc-31ff-c650-823fc48eb1bc

iOS 14 MAC Randomization