iOS doesn't need to be more like Android, it just needs more Google

Arlen Holder

Sep 25, 2020, 3:45:00 PM9/25/20
Dateline 4 hours ago, all verbatim, an opinion piece from EnGadget

"The ability to switch my default mail app to Gmail is a game changer"

o iOS doesn't need to be more like Android, it just needs more Google
<https://www.engadget.com/ios-14-android-google-apple-150007924.html>

"This could be a sign of greater things to come.

It's given me a glimmer of hope that other Google apps, like Calendar
and Maps for example, could be given the default treatment too.

Of course, there are many things that Android still does better than iOS,
such as managing notifications, app permission handling, Live Transcribe,
the ability to sideload apps not from an App Store, and more.

But if all I get is greater access to Google's apps and services while
still keeping the phone I like, I'd be happy."
--
Owning both iOS & Android ecosystems for years where I know the difference.

badgolferman

Sep 25, 2020, 4:04:56 PM9/25/20
Even though I have an Apple device I am heavily Google centric. Having said
that the iOS calendar app is more to my liking than the Google calendar
app. I sync the Apple calendar to my google calendar and use it that way.
The design suits me better.

Arlen Holder

Sep 25, 2020, 4:48:56 PM9/25/20
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 20:04:51 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Even though I have an Apple device I am heavily Google centric. Having said
> that the iOS calendar app is more to my liking than the Google calendar
> app. I sync the Apple calendar to my google calendar and use it that way.
> The design suits me better.

Hi badgolferman,

Since you're not an apologist, an adult conversation is possible, where the
depth of the inevitable nuance of detail is where the true value of the
conversation may lie.

I think a _lot_ of people use the Google calendar, browser, mail user
agent, mail server, maps, backup, contacts, and browser as their personally
selected "default", whether or not the mobile device operating system
allowed it in the past.

It would be interesting to compare each of these to each other:
o Apple calendar versus Google calendar
o Safari browser versus Chrome browser
o Apple email account versus Google email account
o Apple mail user agent versus the Gmail app
o Apple messaging client versus the default Android SMS/MMS client
o Apple maps versus Google maps
o Apple backup versus Google backup
o Apple contacts versus Google contacts
o Apple app store versus Google app store
etc.

Interestingly, I'm the one person who can not give you accurate information
on that comparison, simply because I don't often use any of those Google
products on my Android device, nor any of the Apple products on my iOS
devices.

In fact, on both my iOS and Android devices, I shun both Apple and Google
MARKETING shenanigans, such that I simply find better more private apps.

As you may be aware, I don't even have a Google account set on my Android
phone and I still have full Android functionality (but without the privacy
holes, which is impossible on iOS unfortunately).

As just one piece of evidence (of many) of that fact, see this thread:
o Why would anyone NEED to set up the Android OS to a Google Account?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/0O0GLU0bFmw>
NOTE: There are many more like that, all getting the functionality
we want but without falling right into Google's greedy paws.

In summary, it would be interesting for someone who uses both ecosystems to
compare each of those things to each other - as that's where the _next_
battleground lies for iOS devices.
--
Adults can intelligently discuss issues on this ng if apologists stay out.

badgolferman

Sep 25, 2020, 7:05:26 PM9/25/20
Arlen Holder wrote:

>I think a lot of people use the Google calendar, browser, mail user
>agent, mail server, maps, backup, contacts, and browser as their
>personally selected "default", whether or not the mobile device
>operating system allowed it in the past.
>
>It would be interesting to compare each of these to each other:
>o Apple calendar versus Google calendar

Google Calendar (PC) for me because I share it with my wife. However I
sync my Google calendar to the phone and use the Apple Calendar app
because I like the interface better. Google had all those images in
the line view that pissed me off.

>o Safari browser versus Chrome browser

Chrome browser (PC) but Safari on iOS most of the time. I read
somewhere Apple makes sure Safari operates faster than all the other
browsers by limiting what the others can do. But I do use the iOS
Google app a lot which uses Chrome I presume. Sometimes I use Firefox.

>o Apple email account versus Google email account

Gmail email account. Several of them.

>o Apple mail user agent versus the Gmail app

I hate the Apple email app. I use Gmail app.

>o Apple messaging client versus the default Android SMS/MMS client

No option for me. Apple Messages.

>o Apple maps versus Google maps

Google maps. Sometimes Waze.

>o Apple backup versus Google backup

Apple backup and Google Photos as a backup.

>o Apple contacts versus Google contacts

Apple contacts on my iPhone, but Google contacts for mailing lists. I
wish I could create group lists on my Apple contacts but I've never
been able to.

>o Apple app store versus Google app store

No option. Apple app store.

Arlen Holder

Sep 25, 2020, 8:34:33 PM9/25/20
On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 23:05:22 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Google Calendar (PC) for me because I share it with my wife. However I
> sync my Google calendar to the phone and use the Apple Calendar app
> because I like the interface better. Google had all those images in
> the line view that pissed me off.

Hi badgolferman,

Thanks for hazarding what your setup is like, as everything we say on
Usenet has its risks. It's interesting that you like Google Calendar with
the Apple calendar app.

Yours is an interesting use model, specifically because the author of the
cited article only wanted the defaults to be, in addition to the Google
browser & mail user agent (MUA), the calendar & maps.

What's interesting is that this change of heart by Apple to allow browser &
MUA may be a huge opening step to "google taking over iOS apps", where
everyone I read openly mused _why_ Apple allowed the competition to be set
as the default.

Most said it was because Apple reasoned it was inevitable due to legal
situations related to monopolistic practices; but I don't have enough
evidence to subscribe to that theory myself.

That's where the nuances of the topic come into play, which takes a bit of
thought to assess _why_ Apple opened up the defaults in iOS 14, if even
only a little bit.

>>o Safari browser versus Chrome browser
>
> Chrome browser (PC) but Safari on iOS most of the time. I read
> somewhere Apple makes sure Safari operates faster than all the other
> browsers by limiting what the others can do. But I do use the iOS
> Google app a lot which uses Chrome I presume. Sometimes I use Firefox.

Below are some of the nuances in detail that I alluded to prior.

Interesting on your browser choice, but not unexpected because clearly
Safari "works better" on iOS than the other browsers (remember your thread
about the browser creating a home icon from a while ago?).

Apple was smart in making sure Safari worked better than the other
browsers, apparently by limiting what the other browsers could be set to
(e.g., the default, and the sendto menu, the homescreen icons, etc.).

I understand why Chrome has taken over the desktop, but on my mobile
devices and desktops, Chrome isn't allowed. (On Android, it's "deleted" to
the original version and then "disabled" by default.)

However, on the PC, I do use "chrome analogs", such as Epic and SRWare
Iron, and even the latest Edge (which is Chrome based).
o Have you noticed the new Chromium-based Edge browser via [Update &
security] apparently COMPLETELY replaces the old Edge browser?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/QXEDioBSuz4>

In fact, I'm one of the rare people who have all three Microsoft browsers
working together at the same time, which actually takes a few tweaks
because Microsoft doesn't want that to happen, by default.
o Tutorial to set up 3 Microsoft web browsers (Edge UWB, new Edge, &
Internet Explorer) to work concurrently coexisting peacefully even after
subsequent Windows Updates
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/fZlJTYRxYFg>

The reason I need a score of browsers is my philosophy is to set up any one
browser for one task and one task only - which allows for all sorts of
optimizations you can't do with a general purpose browser setup.
o Discussion of two different privacy-related browser philosophies
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/H4694--5znY>

>>o Apple email account versus Google email account
>
> Gmail email account. Several of them.

I must have something like a few score of them too, as every time I set up
an Android device, I used to make up a new Google account until I figured
out that setting up an Android device _without_ a Google account is even
easier than setting it up with one.

Note: In addition, every time I set up an iOS device, I set it up with a
new account and I don't even bother remembering the password.

In addition, I have plenty of protonmail & tutanota & other email accounts:
o <https://protonmail.com>
o <https://www.tutanota.com>

While the Gmail app on Android/iOS is pretty good, the Gmail app does one
bad thing on Android that I think is atrocious, so I use K9-Mail instead.

>>o Apple mail user agent versus the Gmail app
>
> I hate the Apple email app. I use Gmail app.

The Gmail app is good, as is Edison Mail and a few others on iOS.
o On Android, I would _never_ use the Gmail app because it does things
that it shouldn't do (like upload all your private contacts to the net).

You can't stop it from doing that, where I feel NOBODY should upload my
contact information or that of my kids, or their kids, to the net. Period.

Luckily, there are plenty of free mail choices on both iOS & Android.
o Let's document the best known current free REPLACEMENTS for Google
"mail" account - so all benefit from our efforts
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/ZWYX6lCW0ck>

>>o Apple messaging client versus the default Android SMS/MMS client
>
> No option for me. Apple Messages.

I would expect nothing less than "Messagse" from _any_ iOS user!
o Most I've talked to say it's the best client out there.

It's not bad.

On Android, I've switched to PulseSMS, which is the best, bar none, IMHO:
o Best free SMS app for Android
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/up2NoEHr9M8>

>>o Apple maps versus Google maps
>
> Google maps. Sometimes Waze.

Yup. I don't know how Google does it, but they cream everyone, even those,
like Garmin, which had the market almost sewn up before the days of Google.

How Google has better maps and better traffic and better directions that
Garmin is just a case in point at how lazy the big established companies
like Garmin must have gotten.

I have friends who work on Apple Maps and they swear Apple is pouring
billions of dollars into it, so, maybe, just maybe, Apple will catch up.

But it's a moving target, which Google seems to have a knack for.

As you're well aware, I do a lot of offline routing where I generally
scrape the Google address database for an address, simply because their
address lookup is so good. Then I paste the results into my offline map
programs, so that Google only knows about me for a split second.

On Android, the AddressToGps app used to anonymously scrape the Google
database, but somehow Google killed it by requiring keys that would only be
used a fwe times, and that app stopped working (AFAIK).

>>o Apple backup versus Google backup
>
> Apple backup and Google Photos as a backup.

That's interesting, and likely a smart move in that Apple backup is just
natural for iOS, but it's limited in size, whereas Google backup is three
times larger by default.

As you're well aware, I don't use either, but most people would likely
prefer what you've set up so that's something you can convey to people on
these newsgroups so that they can learn from your setup.

>>o Apple contacts versus Google contacts
>
> Apple contacts on my iPhone, but Google contacts for mailing lists. I
> wish I could create group lists on my Apple contacts but I've never
> been able to.

Interesting the distinction.
I would think most people do something similar.

That's the biggest beef I have with the Gmail app is it requires your
contacts, and it shouldn't. But it does. You can't turn it off on Android.

There's a trick I use, but it gets complicated so I won't spell it out.
o Does anyone know how the PHONE ties to CONTACTS tiies to SMS on Android 9 Pie?
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.mobile.android/EvXtsP9radE>

>>o Apple app store versus Google app store
>
> No option. Apple app store.

Yes. On iOS, there is no option.

On Android we can use Aurora, which is merely an anonymous skin on the Play
Store. That has the advantage that it's literally the same app, but
anonymously obtained. Also we have other repos of course.

Overall, I'd say both the App Store and Google Play (and F-Droid) are
similar, although I hate that the App Store & Google Play make it "harder"
to download the app onto the desktop, which is where I store all my
installers (since it has terabytes of space & a mouse & keyboard).

I generally order my app installers into the same folders that are on my
homescreen, such that installation over USB is trivial when I factory reset
the phone.

Overall, I'd agree the app stores are likely essentially equivalent,
although I _love_ how Aurora shows more information about apps (e.g., if
they're Google Services Framework free) than does Google Play.

Thanks for your insight into how you would compare the Google/Apple tools:
o Apple calendar versus Google calendar
o Safari browser versus Chrome browser
o Apple email account versus Google email account
o Apple mail user agent versus the Gmail app
o Apple messaging client versus the default Android SMS/MMS client
o Apple maps versus Google maps
o Apple backup versus Google backup
o Apple contacts versus Google contacts
o Apple app store versus Google app store
etc.

You know the delta better than I do as I shun Google & Apple tools.
--
Every Usenet thread should strive to add value so that all always benefit.

badgolferman

Sep 25, 2020, 9:22:13 PM9/25/20
Arlen Holder <arlen_...@newmachines.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2020 23:05:22 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:
>
>>> o Apple mail user agent versus the Gmail app
>>
>> I hate the Apple email app. I use Gmail app.
>
> The Gmail app is good, as is Edison Mail and a few others on iOS.
> o On Android, I would _never_ use the Gmail app because it does things
> that it shouldn't do (like upload all your private contacts to the net).

Let me add that I make extensive use of Gmail labels and filters. I have
filters which assign labels to incoming mail and display those labels in
the Inbox. There is no other mail app I have found that will display those
labels, they just treat labels as folders.

Alan Baker

Sep 25, 2020, 10:10:49 PM9/25/20
As long as you're happy with Google mining your emails to make money...

:-)

Arlen Holder

Sep 26, 2020, 12:18:22 AM9/26/20
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 01:22:08 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Let me add that I make extensive use of Gmail labels and filters. I have
> filters which assign labels to incoming mail and display those labels in
> the Inbox. There is no other mail app I have found that will display those
> labels, they just treat labels as folders.

Hi badgolferman,

More nuances, where, since you're not an apologist, you can understand why
I don't bring up these nuances of detail with apologists, particularly the
Type I apologists (e.g., nospam) or the Type II apologists (e.g., Alan
Baker, Jolly Roger, Lewis, et al.)...

They simply decry anything they happen to not like - where sensible people
like you and I have no problem logically discussing tools we like which
also may have key features we both like and hate at the same time.

That's the nuanced detail I was suggesting which is part of an adult topic.

I completely understand why you like the Gmail app, as many people use the
Gmail app, and I would use it also, if it didn't automatically upload my
contacts to its servers without my permission (at least on Android it does
that).

As I said, you can stop that, but it's a PITA (you have to empty out the
default sqlite contacts database - but then you need to find apps that have
their own contacts database, which, of course, I have - but most people
don't).
o <https://github.com/SimpleMobileTools>

For example:
o <https://github.com/SimpleMobileTools/Simple-Dialer>
o <https://github.com/SimpleMobileTools/Simple-Contacts>

Note that on Android, at least the later versions of it, the "Dialer" is
different from the "Contacts" where you don't really ever need a dialer
anymore 'cuz both the contacts and the SMS/MMS app have a dialer built in.

Given my contacts sqlite database is empty, I also have to employ a trick
to get the PulseSMS app to label all existing messages with contact info:
o <https://messenger.klinkerapps.com/overview/>

Note: If you compare PulseSMS with iOS Messenger, I suspect PulseSMS will
kill the iOS Messenger app but most people probably compare with whatever
crappy default Android messenger app the carriers put on their phones.

BTW, Facebook made it into the news today, wanting WhatsApp to replace
Messenger, apparently at least to this cite, dated today:
o Facebook says it's been asking Apple to let people change iPhone's default messages app for years
<https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/25/21456191/facebook-messenger-whatsapp-default-iphone-app>
"Would you switch to WhatsApp or Messenger if you could?"

They reference this cite, also dated today:
o Facebook Opens New Fight With Apple Over Messaging
<https://www.theinformation.com/articles/facebook-opens-new-fight-with-apple-over-messaging>
"We feel people should be able to choose different messaging apps
and the default on their phone".

BTW, if the iOS users don't know it, I must have tested over a dozen
SMS/MMS apps, and the beauty is that switching between them is literally
_perfect_ in that you lose nothing and you gain everything each time you
switch.

It's as easy to switch MMS/SMS apps as it is to switch keyboards, which is
to say it's switched at the tap of a button - it's that seamless on
Android.
o It just works

Again, we're discussing nuances of detail, where it seems Apple opened up a
potential floodgate by allowing a default browser and a default MUA, where
the likes of Google and Facebook will almost certainly be clamoring to take
over key default apps, one by one, on iOS in the upcoming future releases.
o calendar
o browser
o email
o sms/mms messaging (WhatsApp vs Messages)
o maps
o backup
o contacts
o app repository
--
Adults can have polite productive conversations if apologists don't exist.

Lewis

Sep 26, 2020, 1:07:22 AM9/26/20
In message <rkm540$1cot$1...@gioia.aioe.org> badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Let me add that I make extensive use of Gmail labels and filters. I have
> filters which assign labels to incoming mail and display those labels in
> the Inbox. There is no other mail app I have found that will display those
> labels, they just treat labels as folders.

Gmail is its own thing, and it is not IMAP, nor does it conform to IMAP
standards. The features that Google has added are designed to be only
within Google's gmail and one of the consequences (surely intentional)
is to help lock-in users who want those features. Exporting mail from
Gmail results in lost metadata, and deleting all the mail from google
(really deleting it) was an arduous process that makes certain I will
never use Gmail as my primary or secondary mail. I only use it for and
address for Google services to send mail and for websites I do not care
about. I check it once every month or two.

There's nothing Gmail does that I cannot replicate with smart folders in
macOS mail, but since these smart folder do not carry over to iOS/iPadOS
the clients on iOS are inferior to the Gmail interface.

If you are OK with Google being the repository of all your mail (I was
for many years, I no longer am) then Gmail is a great system and offers
quite a lot of benefits over other mail clients, including Mail.app on
iOS and iPadOS, mail on iCloud.com, and even some over Mail.app on macOS.

BTW, Google also treats labels as folders, they just don't show it that
way in the UI.

I prefer to have my inbox only contain mail that I do not already have
filters for. So list messages go into a mailbox for each list. Mail from
family members goes into a family mailbox, automated mail from my
servers go into a mailbox of their own, etc, etc. This leaves the Inbox
as mostly crap that I can quickly delete or tag as spam, or the
occasional important mail that is at least somewhat unexpected (as I do
not have an existing filter for it). This means I get through the Inbox
very quickly, and then can easily deal with groups of messages based on
the folders they are in.

--
My own people are trying to kill me? It's so French.

badgolferman

Sep 26, 2020, 7:26:26 AM9/26/20
It sure would be nice if all your messages were more like this one. There
was nothing objectionable or insulting here and even contained some useful
information. Thank you!

Alan Browne

Sep 26, 2020, 11:16:50 AM9/26/20
+1

--
"...there are many humorous things in this world; among them the white
man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages."

Arlen Holder

Sep 26, 2020, 12:42:36 PM9/26/20
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 11:26:23 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> It sure would be nice if all your messages were more like this one. There
> was nothing objectionable or insulting here and even contained some useful
> information. Thank you!

Hi badgolferman,

I agree with you that when anyone, apologist or not apologist, is sensible,
logical, balanced, and reasonable, the conversation is more enlightening.

My only comment about Lewis' message is he seems to have conflated the
"Gmail app" with the "Google Mail Server" in what he wrote about them.

Therefore, it's not easy to tell what he's talking about, where, if we
assume he was talking about the mail server, how can he possibly claim it's
not IMAP?

It makes no sense to claim google accounts don't support the IMAP protocol.
o Does it make any sense to you?

Here's a cite by way of reference to back up my query about Google IMAP:
o IMAP, POP, and SMTP
<https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/imap-smtp>
"For non-Gmail clients, Gmail supports the standard IMAP, POP,
and SMTP protocols."

Regarding the "Gmail app" itself, it's less obvious whether that specific
Mail User Agent (MUA) supports IMAP, as Lewis seems to be intimating.
o Gmail - Wikipedia
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmail>
"Gmail also added IMAP support in October 2007."
"In November 2014, Google introduced functionality in the Gmail Android
app that enabled sending and receiving emails from non-Gmail addresses

Which references this cite:
o Gmail Now Has IMAP Support
<https://www.informationweek.com/gmail-now-has-imap-support/d/d-id/1060707>

This what Lewis said, verbatim:
"Gmail is its own thing, and it is not IMAP, nor does it conform
to IMAP standards."

Given what Lewis said above, and given the cites I provided...
o Maybe Lewis (or someone else) can kindly & politely clarify for us?

badgolferman

Sep 26, 2020, 12:47:46 PM9/26/20
Not really sure what IMAP means but I can tell you I have non-Gmail
accounts set up in my Gmail app. I can receive and send from them.

Lewis

Sep 26, 2020, 1:02:52 PM9/26/20
In message <rkn8gv$1esd$1...@gioia.aioe.org> badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sure would be nice if all your messages were more like this one.

Cant resist always being an asshat, can you? Fuck off to the bit bucket
with you.

--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
"I think so, Brain, but do those roost in this neighborhood?"

Arlen Holder

Sep 26, 2020, 1:06:00 PM9/26/20
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 16:47:41 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Not really sure what IMAP means but I can tell you I have non-Gmail
> accounts set up in my Gmail app. I can receive and send from them.

Hi badgolferman,

Here's where nuance of detail come into play, where people good at that are
nospam and sms, since they often dive into that stuff deeper than I do.

I'm sure Lewis was trying to explain "something" about either the iOS Gmail
app itself not supporting all that is in IMAP, or, perhaps that the Google
Mail Servers don't support all that is in iMAP, which is why I commented.

I only know IMAP at the highest level, which, for you, may suffice:
a. POP = the mail you read is pulled down from the google mail server
b. IMAP = the mail you read is left on the google mail server

But let's try to get an official definition of both protocols:
o What are IMAP and POP?
<https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/what-are-imap-and-pop-ca2c5799-49f9-4079-aefe-ddca85d5b1c9>

"IMAP only downloads a message when you click on it,
and attachments aren't automatically downloaded."

"POP works by contacting your email service and downloading
all of your new messages from it. Once they are downloaded
onto your PC or Mac, they are deleted from the email service."

For our high-level purposes, we all used to use POP3 years ago, but then
IMAP4 came into vogue, where that's what almost all of us use now (AFAIK).

My only comment was it isn't clear to me what Lewis meant when he said:
"Gmail is its own thing, and it is not IMAP,
nor does it conform to IMAP standards."

Was Lewis conflating the "Gmail app" with the "Google mail server"?
o Even so, the cites I found show both seem to support IMAP.

Perhaps Lewis can kindly & politely clarify what he was trying to tell us?
--
Usenet allows users to tap into help and advice from around the world.

Alan Browne

Sep 26, 2020, 1:14:34 PM9/26/20
On 2020-09-26 13:02, Lewis wrote:
> In message <rkn8gv$1esd$1...@gioia.aioe.org> badgolferman <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It sure would be nice if all your messages were more like this one.
>
> Cant resist always being an asshat, can you? Fuck off to the bit bucket
> with you.

Proof badgolferman was onto something and of course Lewis goes all angry
asshat.

badgolferman

Sep 26, 2020, 1:27:04 PM9/26/20
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2020-09-26 13:02, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <rkn8gv$1esd$1...@gioia.aioe.org> badgolferman
>> <REMOVETHISb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It sure would be nice if all your messages were more like this one.
>>
>> Cant resist always being an asshat, can you? Fuck off to the bit bucket
>> with you.
>
> Proof badgolferman was onto something and of course Lewis goes all angry
> asshat.

He’s something...isn’t he?

Arlen Holder

Sep 26, 2020, 2:31:00 PM9/26/20
On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 17:27:01 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

>>> Cant resist always being an asshat, can you? Fuck off to the bit bucket
>>> with you.
>>
>> Proof badgolferman was onto something and of course Lewis goes all angry
>> asshat.
>>

> He┬ something...isn┤ he?

hi badgolferman,

As you are well aware, I study the three types of apologists, in terms of
why they are always seemingly shockingly immune to simple basic facts.
o Type I (nospam) know facts; but always take an Apple position on them
o Type II (sms) know facts too; but simply don't bother to doublecheck them
o Type III (Lewis) usually instantly trigger personal reprisals to facts

Note that Type III apologists are all the same in their personal reprisals:
o Alan Baker always calls the bearer of facts a "liar", for example.
o Jolly Roger employs hateful personal vitriol against the bearer of facts.
o Lewis did the same as does Jolly Roger & Alan Baker, to you, just now.

Why?
o I don't know why.

I previously claimed that they are all cultists who have imbibed the Apple
MARKETING position of what Apple "should be" but not what Apple "is".

Hence, any fact that shows what Apple "is" is considered, by these Type III
apologists, as a dangerous personal affront, since, presumably, any facts
about Apple products that deviate from their cultist beliefs (carefully
crafted by Apple MARKETING), literally detract from their self image.

That is, my hypothesis of why Type III apologists like Lewis and Jolly
Roger and Alan Baker react to mere facts with such personally hateful
vitriol is that facts are actually _dangerous_ to their self image.

I think, in a small way, your commendation of Lewis' unusually adult like
behavior, somehow, in some way, triggered this self-image protection
mechanism.

Why?
o I don't know why.

I just know that it did.
--
Adult conversations on this newsgroup are possible if apologists stay out.

Alan Browne

Sep 26, 2020, 3:17:24 PM9/26/20
Consistent anyway.

badgolferman

Sep 26, 2020, 5:44:37 PM9/26/20
Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:
> On 2020-09-26 13:27, badgolferman wrote:
>> Alan Browne <bitb...@blackhole.com> wrote:

>>> Proof badgolferman was onto something and of course Lewis goes all angry
>>> asshat.
>>>

>> He’s something...isn’t he?
>
> Consistent anyway.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious about Lewis. It makes me wonder what
others think of him. Their silence seems condoning of his actions.

Lewis

Sep 27, 2020, 1:08:47 AM9/27/20
In message <ht9son...@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
> "Your silence means what I say. Speak up or else!" LOL...

People who are incapable of reading content and instead reply insulting
the poster for being helpful can join the permaban list along with the
shitbag trolls like Arlen.

I have no patience for ignorant assholes who refuse to learn anything.

And yes, if someone replies with "I can't believe you posted something
that helped me" that person is a fucking asshat and will receive no
further help from me if I can help it.

--
The reaper does not listen to the harvest. --Reaper Man

badgolferman

Sep 27, 2020, 7:22:15 AM9/27/20
Thank you for proving my point!

Arlen Holder

Sep 27, 2020, 12:11:44 PM9/27/20
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 11:22:11 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman wrote:

> Thank you for proving my point!

The Type III cultists consider facts personal affronts to their self image.

The Type III apologists, e.g., Lewis, Jolly Roger, Alan Baker, BKatOnRamp,
Chris, Joerg, et al. are all similar in that they each remind me of a
fifth-grade ignorant sadistic bully who still believes in Santa Claus.

Any fact to the contrary will immediately invoke their hateful vitriol?

Why?
o I don't know why.

I suspect that facts instantly destroy their imaginary belief systems.
o Hence, your comments were a dire _threat_ to their sense of "self".

Combined with the fact that they're all cultists par excellence.
o Any negative thought about Apple destroys their personal self image.
--
The Type III cultists consider facts personal affronts to their self image.

Alan Browne

Sep 27, 2020, 1:41:57 PM9/27/20
On 2020-09-27 01:08, Lewis wrote:
> In message <ht9son...@mid.individual.net> Jolly Roger <jolly...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> "Your silence means what I say. Speak up or else!" LOL...
>
> People who are incapable of reading content and instead reply insulting
> the poster

You consistently insult everyone who doesn't agree with you or who
misinterprets something.

Usenet is for discussion. You destroy that with your petty, angry
insults time and time again. Too bad, you are very informed in some
narrow areas but you destroy your own rep. with your vitriol.

Alan Browne

Sep 27, 2020, 1:42:12 PM9/27/20
Like I said: consistent.

badgolferman

Oct 14, 2020, 9:10:46 AM10/14/20
badgolferman wrote:

>>It would be interesting to compare each of these to each other:
>>o Apple calendar versus Google calendar
>
>Google Calendar (PC) for me because I share it with my wife. However
>I sync my Google calendar to the phone and use the Apple Calendar app
>because I like the interface better. Google had all those images in
>the line view that pissed me off.

I use the line view of my calendar and since the iOS 14 calendar
redesign it is now harder to view with the font changes. I'm seriously
thinking of changing to the Google Calendar app.

>>o Safari browser versus Chrome browser
>
>Chrome browser (PC) but Safari on iOS most of the time. I read
>somewhere Apple makes sure Safari operates faster than all the other
>browsers by limiting what the others can do. But I do use the iOS
>Google app a lot which uses Chrome I presume. Sometimes I use
>Firefox.

Since Apple now allows changing the default browser I decided to give
mobile Chrome another shot. Frankly it doesn't feel any slower than
mobile Safari and if so I can't tell. It has the added benefit of
returning to the point in the previous page where I had clicked the
link. With Safari it often would return to the top of the previous
page. My desktop Chrome bookmarks are also available on the mobile
Chrome. Now if I can figure out how to import the mobile Safari
bookmarks to the mobile bookmarks of Chrome...

Arlen Holder

Oct 25, 2020, 11:13:51 PM10/25/20
See also:
o Google Pays Apple $8-12 Billion Per Year to be Default iOS Search Engine
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/yU6d7f670Ho>