HP printer/ink business model

Retrograde

Jan 22, 2024, 4:12:52 PMJan 22
From the «printing as a subscription, boo» department:
Feed: The Register
Title: HP's CEO spells it out: You're a 'bad investment' if you don't buy HP
supplies
Author: Richard Speed
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:08:06 -0500
Link: https://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.com/2024/01/19/hps_ceo_spells_it_out/

Malware threat from third-party cartridges nothing compared to threat to HP's
bottom line

HP CEO Enrique Lores admitted this week that the company's long-term objective
is "to make printing a subscription" when he was questioned about the company's
approach to third-party replacement ink suppliers.…

Marco Moock

Jan 23, 2024, 3:12:45 AMJan 23
That's why I don't buy new printers from them.
I have a ~2011 Samsung laser, a still working OfficeJet 350 and an
OfficeJet J4585.
All of them still work, but only the Samsung has a cartridge inserted.
The other ones are spare if the Samsung is finally broken.