laptoppin' like 1975

1 view

Retrograde

Aug 15, 2022, 8:55:36 AM8/15/22
From the «cool» department:
Feed: Hackaday
Title: Laptoppin’ Like 1975
Author: Al Williams
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 01:00:42 -0400
Link: https://hackaday.com/2022/08/06/laptoppin-like-1975/

[image 1 (link #1)]

When we first saw the PZ1 laptop[2] — a 6502 laptop-style computer with a small
display and 512K of RAM — we couldn’t help but think of the old AIM 65[3]
computer from Rockwell, although that only had 1K of memory. The other thing the
AIM didn’t have was an ancillary microcontroller to help out that is way more
powerful than the main processor.

There are actually several versions of the PZ1 and you can find some very
detailed information over on Hackaday.io and GitHub[4]. Recently, [Adam] release
version 2.0 and tested some PC boards that are working well.

Of course, you need software. [Adam] has ported Fusix[5] over which is nice. We
wonder what the Rockwell designer would have thought of such an extravagance of
memory, an SD Card, and a larger display. They’d probably complain there was no
thermal printer.

A lot of the supporting functions use a Teensy and an Arduino Nano. There is
also a Raspberry Pi Pico in the mix. That offers a lot of possibilities for
future upgrades for displays. Maybe an ESP32 could even put it on WiFi.

For us, when we want to play with 6502 code, we grab a Kim-UNO[6], even though
it is emulated. We’ve seen a lot of 6502 activity lately[7]. Not bad for a CPU
approaching 50 years of age.

Links:
[1]: https://hackaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/pz1.png?w=800 (image)
[2]: https://hackaday.io/project/171471-pz1-6502-laptop (link)