wanted: NEWSLETTER or MAILING LIST MANAGER script

newsgroups

Feb 17, 2003, 3:02:03 PM2/17/03
Hi:

I'm looking for a decent, reasonably-priced commercial script (system?) to
manage a subscriber e-mail newsletter for a Web site (NOT for bulk
e-mailing).

Need something pretty basic, but "pro" quality, robust, and very easy to use
(ie., has a browser-based admin. panel).

Requirements are simply that my visitors can self-subscribe and easily
unsubscribe at any time. I will have 1-3 separate lists, and subscribers can
pick to be on one or all. I suppose a "double-opt-in" system would be good
to eliminate spam problems. I expect to have 100-1,500 subscribers, and send
out a newsletter weekly or monthly. The newsletters will probably be plain
text based, though may also be in HTML format (ie., include images, colored
background, etc.). To keep my hosting costs and complexity down, was hoping
NOT to use a database-driven system (MySQL, etc.), but I suppose
"flat-files".

I've looked around on the Web, but am swamped with offerings and have no way
of testing them all! Some seem to have way too many features, some too few.
I'm willing to pay (though not hundreds of $).

BOTTOM LINE >> What's the best one out there? Most popular?
Any suggestions *greatly*appreciated.

Please send responses to the address below, or, post to this board. I'm sure
many others are asking the same question.

Thanks in advance,

S/S

*remove the XXXs before sending > XXXsso...@telusXXX.netXXX

spurkva220

Feb 18, 2003, 8:00:21 PM2/18/03
Two websites you might want to check. Both are free and web-based
administration. I am in groups that use both of these services.

<http://www.coollist.com>
- Personally find simpler to use, has both public and private lists.
Very helpful website tour, FAQs, help.

- Has more features, but find site not as easy to use to make changes.
Some Yahoo groups have had reports of spamming.

Scott

hrschp

Feb 21, 2003, 7:37:54 AM2/21/03
newsgroups wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm looking for a decent, reasonably-priced commercial script (system?) to
> manage a subscriber e-mail newsletter for a Web site (NOT for bulk
> e-mailing).
>
> Need something pretty basic, but "pro" quality, robust, and very easy to use
> (ie., has a browser-based admin. panel).

Look in the basement for that old pentiumclass machine you discarded.
Install linux (e.g. mandrake) and majordomo (or another e-mail list
programme of choice). You will have your browser interface with webmin.

No costs, a little bit of effort, and lots of fun.

JP