IMAP / IMSP / Silkymail questions...

Michael Rubinsky

Mar 20, 2002, 4:17:21 PM3/20/02
Hope someone can help me out here...

I've been running a small mail server here with only about a dozen accounts.

Running WU-IMAP / Cyrus-IMSP-1.6a3

Primary access to the server is through the Mulberry client with some users
accessing using SilkyMail web interface.

Mulberry works great...no problems.

I currently have SilkyMail working but have some questions....

1) the IMSP server is set up using SASL authentication...I had to manually
enter all usernames and passwds using saslpasswd. I would like the user to
be able to change their own passwords. So far, this does not seem possible.
I looked into the poppassd server but it seems that can only be used to
change system passwords and since SASL keeps it's own secrets file, this
would not work for changing IMSP passwords.

2) Is there a way to allow connection to more than one IMAP server (each
with it's own username/password) while using the same IMSP server? From
what I can tell, it looks like SilkyMail tries to authenticate using the
same credentials as the IMAP service. This would be useful in allowing the
same address books to be accessable from different mail accounts.

Thanks for any input!

Mike
mi...@REMOVEMEtheupstairsroom.com

Mike Brodbelt

Mar 21, 2002, 6:54:57 AM3/21/02
Michael Rubinsky wrote:

> 1) the IMSP server is set up using SASL authentication...I had to manually
> enter all usernames and passwds using saslpasswd. I would like the user to
> be able to change their own passwords. So far, this does not seem possible.
> I looked into the poppassd server but it seems that can only be used to
> change system passwords and since SASL keeps it's own secrets file, this
> would not work for changing IMSP passwords.

Although SASL defaults to storing its secrets in sasldb, where they are
not easily accessible for purposes of changing, that's not the only
option. Each SASL aware application can be configured to use any back
end authentication service which SASL is capable of talking to. It's
quite possible to have SASL enabled applications authenticate through
PAM, and thus use system passwords, LDAP stored passwords, NT passwords
- anything that you can get a PAM module for. SASL also supports
Kerberos directly if you have a Kerberos setup in place.

HTH,

Mike.

Michael Rubinsky

Mar 24, 2002, 12:30:45 AM3/24/02
in article 3C99CA11.1070307@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__acu.ac.uk, Mike Brodbelt at
m.brodbelt@__NO_SPAM_PLEASE__acu.ac.uk wrote on 3/21/02 6:54 AM:

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll dig around in the SASL configuration to
see if I can get this to work. I'm guessing I need to create a config file
for the IMSPd pointing it to use PAM?

Thanks again.

mike