Email for DOS (via PPP driver) ????

Edward

Oct 11, 2001, 7:59:39 PM10/11/01
MS-DOS >> PPP packet driver >> EMAIL client (POP/SMTP/IMAP) ???

I am looking for simple but good DOS email client
(that will work with PPP packet driver or any other that can be loaded
on top of it)

I checked some of them and found that NUPOP seems to be more or less
decent email client
(neat & easily configurable)...

....and yet -
Nupop ver.101 is full of bugs and freezes,
Nupop ver. 103 - has bizarre requirement for memory (too much for a prog
of this class)
Nupop ver. 200,201,210 - much better but they do not work with PPP
driver and generally I failed to get them started with any driver at all
[for some reason])...

PEGASUS is rather powerful but I found it inconvenient to
configure/operate.

POPMAIL is a way too plain and does not fit modern requirements of mail
protocol & servers.

ANY ADVICE woould be very much appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Ed.

toylet [mozilla]

Oct 11, 2001, 9:56:59 PM10/11/01
linux... you can run dos programs inside a dosmeu. ;)

Jem Berkes

Oct 12, 2001, 1:09:22 AM10/12/01
> I am looking for simple but good DOS email client
> (that will work with PPP packet driver or any other that can be loaded
> on top of it)

Umm.. this is seriously going to be a pain. Consider forgetting about DOS
if you can. linux will install on (almost) as hardware-deficient systems.

For a while I was using pine for DOS on a network stack using novell's
utilities.

--
http://www.pc-tools.net/
DOS, Win32, Linux software

Tibor Mocsar

Oct 13, 2001, 9:59:31 AM10/13/01
In article <3BC63272...@yahoo.com>, Edward <dx...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>MS-DOS >> PPP packet driver >> EMAIL client (POP/SMTP/IMAP) ???
>
>I am looking for simple but good DOS email client
>(that will work with PPP packet driver or any other that can be loaded
>on top of it)
>
>I checked some of them and found that NUPOP seems to be more or less
>decent email client
>(neat & easily configurable)...
>
>Nupop ver. 200,201,210 - much better but they do not work with PPP
>driver and generally I failed to get them started with any driver at all
>[for some reason])...

You must have had some failures in your configuration, Nupop 2.10 works
with any of the packet drivers available for DOS. There are at least
two methods to set it up easily: Create a batch that calls your dialer,
the PPP stack, and the executable of Nupop. The last command should be
a hangup programm. I recommend the executable which is compiled for the
usage with a wattcp.cfg file.

The other way could be to install UKA_PPP first and invoke Nupop as an
external application.

I tested and used both methods about two years ago, they worked for me.
If I weren't a big fan of KA9Q and Yarn I certainly would use Nupop.

--
Tibor Mocsar

Edward

Oct 14, 2001, 6:38:58 AM10/14/01
to Tibor Mocsar
Yeah,
thanks for the tip, of course Nupop works fine with PPP driver!
I found the problem - (stupid one!) - "nutcp.drv" was corrupt in
archived package I was using for installation ...

It works fine !

As for KA9Q -
I found so-called "windowed" version of NOS/KA9Q (-TW16-) to be more
convenient...
I used it but not lately...
Maybe I got too lazy to work with command line all the time ?

Edward

---------------------
Tibor Mocsar wrote:

> You must have had some failures in your configuration, Nupop 2.10 works
> with any of the packet drivers available for DOS.

alterego

Oct 23, 2001, 1:23:46 PM10/23/01
Hi Tibor,

Where can I get a copy of NuPop for DOS ?

I am current try to construct a TCP/IP stack for my own programs
but have not been successfull yet.

Herbert Kleebauer

Oct 23, 2001, 7:16:36 PM10/23/01
alterego wrote:

> Hi Tibor,
>
> Where can I get a copy of NuPop for DOS ?

http://ftp.northwestern.edu/ftp-archive/pub/nupop/

NUPOP generates a runtime error on fast processors (seems to be written in Turbo Pascal),
but you can use one of the patch programs for the bug in the CRT function in the
Turbo Pascal library.

Dr John Stockton

Oct 24, 2001, 7:28:10 AM10/24/01
JRS: In article <3BD5FA54...@unibwm.de>, seen in
news:comp.os.msdos.misc, Herbert Kleebauer <kl...@unibwm.de> wrote at
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:16:36 :-

>NUPOP generates a runtime error on fast processors (seems to be written in Turbo
>Pascal),
>but you can use one of the patch programs for the bug in the CRT function in the
>Turbo Pascal library.

Some of the available ones are good and others are not so good. It
would be safer to refer those in need to the c.l.p.b mFAQ, which cites
good solutions. I recommend Bauer for existing EXEs and Scragg for new
compiles. (* CRT is a Unit, not a function *)

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. j...@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©

Tibor Mocsar

Oct 24, 2001, 5:22:23 PM10/24/01
In article <f0862184.01102...@posting.google.com>,

tekn...@tuol.org (alterego) wrote:
>Hi Tibor,
>
> Where can I get a copy of NuPop for DOS ?

The old FTP site was ftp.acns.nwu.edu, however I don't know if it is
still reachable under this address. At any rate, I'm sure you can find
it if you make a search on Northwestern University.

> I am current try to construct a TCP/IP stack for my own programs
> but have not been successfull yet.

Do you really want to reinvent the wheel, or is just WATTCP not good
enough for you? ;-)

--
Tibor Mocsar

Lueko Willms

Nov 4, 2001, 3:16:05 PM11/4/01
Edward <dx...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3BC63272...@yahoo.com>...

> MS-DOS >> PPP packet driver >> EMAIL client (POP/SMTP/IMAP) ???
>
> I am looking for simple but good DOS email client
> (that will work with PPP packet driver or any other that can be loaded
> on top of it)

I can recommend XP aka XPOINT aka Crosspoint.

It is both a Mail and News reader. It servers a number of
protocols, including POP3, NNTP, FIDO, ZCONNECT, MAUS.

See http://www.openxp.de or http://www.xp2.de for different flavors
of the program.

yours,
L. Willms