printing email on recieve (console) Sorry for cross post, but need answer ASAP

Randy

Dec 8, 2003, 4:39:13 PM12/8/03
Anybody know what I should be looking for?

I would like to recieve an email and print it without user intervention. Not
sure were I should be looking for solution!
Newbie to Linux
Redhat Linux 8.0 console
DSL connection
no internal mail required just 1 email account and print everything recieved
on this account.

Thanks

Sam

Dec 8, 2003, 10:42:46 PM12/8/03
Randy writes:

If your E-mail messages

• Do not use MIME encoding, and

• Do not contain attachments

then putting

: 0
| lpr

into $HOME/.procmailrc will do the trick. Of course, in the event that this
account receives a modestly-sized attachment, your printer will spew out
several hundred pages of utter crap; so this may or may not be ideal.

Using some additional tools, and some semi-sophisticated scripting it's
possible to arrange to get MIME-encoded content, and various kinds of
attachments, to be handled in an intelligent way. Unfortunately, this
cannot be described in a paragraph, or two. Your best bet is to set aside
this specific project, for the time, and spend some time learning general
scripting, and how to use various mail-handling tools you have available to
you.

José María

Dec 10, 2003, 1:49:45 AM12/10/03