howto create a *really* robust email setup?

Rene Veerman

Nov 28, 2001, 5:49:41 AM11/28/01
Hi. I would like to create a *really* robust email setup.

My end-goal is to always have an imap server available to me that holds an
encrypted copy of *all* my historic email on *all* accounts, filtered into
a mailbox hierarchy.

I was thinking along the lines of having several prioritized mailservers
with
procmail installed. Procmail should call a pgp-library to encrypt any
incoming email to my public key. It should then filter the headers and place
the encrypted mail in a specified mailbox file.

Because I want decryption done at the client-end
(private-key-security and anti-sniffing), the only option I can think of is
using IMAP with a client-side PGP plugin..

Are there any docs out there that will give me pieces of what I need?

I think I have a problem when the primary mailserver goes down and comes
back up
later; the email will no longer be synchronized. I think this can be solved
by
keeping a copy of the mailspool on the secondary server as soon as it starts
process mail that is not coming from the primary mailserver, but would love
to hear more ideas.

I'd like to stress the requirement that says I want all my email available
me at all times.

I can promise to write a HowTo on this subject which might
benefit others aswell..

And lastly, I'd like to get as many viewpoints as possible on
this matter, so gimme your .02 ;-)

Greets, Rene.