UUCP by Rlogin or telnet

Jose Lopes Moreira

Apr 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/25/96
Hi All!

I am looking for info about getting an UUCP feed for my BBS by Rlogin
or telnet at a remote ISP. My local ISP doesn't have UUCP accounts.
Can anyone give some sugestions or point me to a source of
information? Please?

Jim Evans

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

You need to have a UUCP account set up for you on a host somewhere.
It need not be your ISP, if that is what you are asking. After you
have a UUCP host waiting for you to contact it, ou can use a standard
PPP connection as the media to perform the connection. This is not as
ass-backwards as it sounds, as many people want to locally recieve
email on a scheduled basis without paying for a fulltime PPP
connection.

In addition, you should be able to have your local UUCP dial up your
ISP, login in to a shell account, then use telnet to establish a TCP
connection to your UUCP contact. You would need to use one of the
8-bit protocols that allow you to escape certain characters, as most
shell connections are not 8bit clean, nor are most telnet sessions.

If anyone has any insight on which protocol would be best for this, I
would appreciate hearing it. I would like to attempt to use this
mechanism for my uucp feed in the future.

-jim

sy...@calcasieu.com

May 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/10/96

In the beginning, or at least on 9 May 96 21:26:08 GMT, Jim Evans
<j...@hanjin.dussco.com> proclaimed ...

>If anyone has any insight on which protocol would be best for this, I
>would appreciate hearing it. I would like to attempt to use this
>mechanism for my uucp feed in the future.

See if you get a "login:" on port 540, if so then your host is running
a uucp daemon. This would be the proper way to connect over TCP/IP and
avoid the telnet/rlogin mess.

Don Read sy...@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager dr...@i-link.net
Calcasieu Lumber Co. uunet!calcas!sysop
Austin, TX
-- Windows for the users; UNIX for the work --

Jim Evans

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

Agreed. I current establish a PPP connection, then have uucico
connect to my upstream UUCP contacts via a TCP connection.

Instead, to avoid the overhead and cost of the PPP connection, I'd
like to dialup to a *shell* account, then use "telnet -8
aprilia.metainfo.com uucp" to finish the connection.

-jim

The UUCP Resource

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

Jim Evans <j...@hanjin.dussco.com> wrote:
>Instead, to avoid the overhead and cost of the PPP connection, I'd
>like to dialup to a *shell* account, then use "telnet -8
>aprilia.metainfo.com uucp" to finish the connection.

How bout using something similar to the following for your
login script?

expect: ogin:
send: jim <- your shell account
expect: word:
send: ######## <- your shell password
expect: hanjin% <- your shell prompt
send: "telnet -8 -E aprilia.metainfo.com uucp"
expect: ogin:
send: sitename <- your UUCP account
expect: word:
send: ######## <- your UUCP password

Disabling the escape character in telnet (-E) is very important
or you may wind up sending UUCP data back to a local telnet
prompt. If you can't disable the escape character, use the
'f' protocol to avoid (^[). The 'f' protocol works great on
somewhat reliable (V.42) lines where you transfer mostly text
(like e-mail or uncompressed newsfeeds).

Another alternative is to use an IP proxy. For the overhead of
a link protocol similar to SLIP, you get to use TCP services over
a shell account line. Examples include Term (Unix) and TIN
(Winsock). I forgot where to get these. Perhaps someone could
post pointers?

PS: Flat-rate shell IAPs discourage Term & TIN unless they build
their business model to include it.

--
Eric Ziegast