NNCP for android?

m...@example.invalid

Feb 26, 2022, 11:19:02 PM2/26/22

For the past 2 years I've been working on a project that does some of
the things NNCP claims to do (I say claims because I haven't tried it
yet, I believe it does but I'm still learning). I was inspired by what
I'd read about UUCP, and thought it would be pretty cool to build
something like that again, but with some additional goals.

While the scope of my idea was much larger than NNCP, I never completed
it. I didn't even know what NNCP was until yesterday.

My project was huge in scope, and I wrote many partial prototypes only
to throw them away (not quite right... redo) and start over. I want my
final version to be in C, not golang though. (latest toss away prototype
is in python. I hate python. But it is faster to work in than C)

So NNCP is kind of bittersweet. It's nice to see it, and I think it
could serve a role in my project. In fact, it could really help a lot.

But <sigh> it means I'll have to throw away a lot of my code, re-think
a lot of things and start all over again. Maybe some decade I'll finally
have something to release to the public.. (Any plans on doing a C
version some day, ideally as a library you can link to?)

Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any plans anywhere to port NNCP over
to the Android phone? Seems like it could be a nice tool for syncing
data from your desktop. Kind of like physical media, sync up at a
friends and go home to upload to computer.

Just a thought. I'm not an Android developer myself.

I'm really looking forward to the day when someone hacks a package
manager, archlinux or freebsd or whatever to use NNCP for retrieving
packages. I could totally see FreeBSD ports using it.

I wish NNCP the best of luck, and plan on learning more about it in the
next week or so. It's probably the coolest thing I've seen over the
past 2 years! But I'm a little jealous. LOL!

Thanks to the developer(s) of NNCP. Truly cool stuff.

meff

Feb 27, 2022, 12:26:17 AM2/27/22
On 2022-02-27, <m...@example.invalid> <m...@example.invalid> wrote:
> Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any plans anywhere to port NNCP over
> to the Android phone? Seems like it could be a nice tool for syncing
> data from your desktop. Kind of like physical media, sync up at a
> friends and go home to upload to computer.
>
> Just a thought. I'm not an Android developer myself.

I don't _think_ so, but I'm not sure myself. I'm not sure if the
author lurks here on comp.mail.uucp, but you can reach him via email
or on the Matrix room + OFTC IRC channel that is being by some users
of NNCP.

> I'm really looking forward to the day when someone hacks a package
> manager, archlinux or freebsd or whatever to use NNCP for retrieving
> packages. I could totally see FreeBSD ports using it.

I believe there's work ongoing right now to have apt work with
NNCP. One of the folks using NNCP does a lot of stuff with Debian and
has been packaging NNCP and associated tooling for Debian, and I
believe he's the one working on this. I've thought about this myself
on Void Linux as that's the main Linux I use aside from Debian.

> I wish NNCP the best of luck, and plan on learning more about it in the
> next week or so. It's probably the coolest thing I've seen over the
> past 2 years! But I'm a little jealous. LOL!

Head onto the mailing list or into IRC #nncp:irc.oftc.net or Matrix
#nncp:matrix.org and come chat with some of us. We don't bite 🙂

John Goerzen

Mar 17, 2022, 2:41:47 PM3/17/22
On 2022-02-27, <m...@example.invalid> <m...@example.invalid> wrote:

> Anyway, I'm wondering if there are any plans anywhere to port NNCP over
> to the Android phone? Seems like it could be a nice tool for syncing
> data from your desktop. Kind of like physical media, sync up at a
> friends and go home to upload to computer.

Not directly, no. Sergey isn't interested and nobody else has stepped up,
either.

However, I have run it inside Termux and it runs fantastically there. You
might have some good luck with that approach.

> I'm really looking forward to the day when someone hacks a package
> manager, archlinux or freebsd or whatever to use NNCP for retrieving
> packages. I could totally see FreeBSD ports using it.

That is already done with Debian! apt-offline has just this sort of interface,
and in traditional Unix fashion can be combined nicely with NNCP.

> I wish NNCP the best of luck, and plan on learning more about it in the
> next week or so. It's probably the coolest thing I've seen over the
> past 2 years! But I'm a little jealous. LOL!

I am not a Golang coder, but I am quite active in the NNCP community. I am
sadly less active on Usenet. You are welcome to drop me an email anytime, or to
the NNCP mailing list or matrix channel. My NNCP info resides at
https://www.complete.org/nncp/

- John