uucico on Fedora

kevin shell

Aug 6, 2020, 12:45:14 AM8/6/20
Hello, UUCP users.
I'm back. :-)

uucico on Fedora not work when invoke manually: uucico -r1
The command is not run, spooled files are not transfered,
instead it is adopted by "systemd --user" in the background.
What's could be the problem?
I tried other OSes, they all work with no problem.

Grant Taylor

Aug 7, 2020, 11:38:03 AM8/7/20
On 8/5/20 10:45 PM, kevin shell wrote:
> uucico on Fedora not work when invoke manually: uucico -r1
> The command is not run, spooled files are not transfered,
> instead it is adopted by "systemd --user" in the background.
> What's could be the problem?

What, if anything, does uulog show?

What happens if you become the user that uucp runs as, via su or sudo,
and run uucico?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

kevin shell

Aug 7, 2020, 8:16:34 PM8/7/20

> What, if anything, does uulog show?

Very strange behavior.
Don't know how Fedora introduced this strange bug.
There is no log, but uucico's exit code is 0.

uucico even can't be killed by "kill UUCICOPID", though it can be
terminated by "kill -s SIGKILL UUCICOPID"

> What happens if you become the user that uucp runs as, via su or sudo,
> and run uucico?

Behave the same as run as other users.

Grant Taylor

Aug 8, 2020, 1:24:09 AM8/8/20
On 8/7/20 6:16 PM, kevin shell wrote:
> Very strange behavior.
> Don't know how Fedora introduced this strange bug.
> There is no log, but uucico's exit code is 0.
>
> uucico even can't be killed by "kill UUCICOPID", though it can be
> terminated by "kill -s SIGKILL UUCICOPID"
>
> Behave the same as run as other users.

Is SELinux enabled?

If so, does the SELinux log (wherever it's logging to) have anything to say?

kevin shell

Aug 8, 2020, 7:47:42 PM8/8/20

> Is SELinux enabled?
>
> If so, does the SELinux log (wherever it's logging to) have anything to say?

SELinux is enabled.
There are nothing about uucico in audit log.

By the way,
Exim/Postfix pipes to uux with no -r option can susessfully run uucico,
mails are transfered,
but if uucico invoked mannually from shell,
it goes to backgroud and does nothing.

Grant Taylor

Aug 10, 2020, 1:25:56 PM8/10/20
On 8/8/20 5:47 PM, kevin shell wrote:
> SELinux is enabled.

Okay.

> There are nothing about uucico in audit log.

I don't remember where SELinux logs by default. For some reason I want
to say that it's not the typical syslog locations and may be an
independent log.

> By the way, Exim/Postfix pipes to uux with no -r option can susessfully
> run uucico, mails are transfered, but if uucico invoked mannually
> from shell, it goes to backgroud and does nothing.

That's what I would expect if SELinux was blocking access.

Try disabling SELinux and testing again.

If it is SELinux, you will need to find the logs and what it's upset
with to change it and allow you to re-enable SELinux.

Note: I think that SELinux should be enabled if possible. Disabling it
is only a diagnostic measure.

kevin shell

Aug 10, 2020, 7:37:31 PM8/10/20

> Try disabling SELinux and testing again.

I have tested with SELinux disabled, the problem still exists.
I think It's not SELinux's problem.

Grant Taylor

Aug 11, 2020, 12:36:35 AM8/11/20
On 8/10/20 5:37 PM, kevin shell wrote:
> I have tested with SELinux disabled, the problem still exists.

:-(

> I think It's not SELinux's problem.

Did you reboot after completely disabling SELinux? I've had multiple
things break in weird ways even if SELinux wasn't in enforcing mode, but
still on (I've forgotten the term).

You may need to inquire in a more Fedora centric venue.

You might consider try compiling and installing UUCP yourself (to an
alternate location) to see if it's a problem with the Fedora spin of UUCP.