UUCP Email Only Feed

16 vues

Robert Wolfe

non lue,
5 sept. 2019, 19:57:1405/09/2019
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone still offered a UUCP email feed for Internet
email only? And, if so, if I could be pointed towards their direction?

Thanks!

Grant Taylor

non lue,
6 sept. 2019, 17:17:3006/09/2019
On 9/5/19 6:55 PM, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Hi all!

Hi,

> I was wondering if anyone still offered a UUCP email feed for Internet
> email only? And, if so, if I could be pointed towards their direction?

Email me directly.

I have some requirements, but I bet that we can make things work.

· I'll want to know what email addresses are valid so that I can
reject invalid email addresses.
· I'll want to chat about your expected outbound email rate.
· I'll default to using the same ingress filtering that I'm using.

I'll also want to know more about what sort of UUCP connection you want
to make:

· UUCP-over-SSH
· UUCP-over-TCP-Encrypted
· UUCP-over-TCP-Unencrypted
· UUCP-bag-collection
· SSH
· SCP
· FTPS
· FTP
· Other

Finally, I can also offer text-only Usenet feed via UUCP if you are
interested.

> Thanks!

You're welcome.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Radim Kolář

non lue,
7 sept. 2019, 11:08:1007/09/2019
> Finally, I can also offer text-only Usenet feed via UUCP if you are
> interested.
Do you have some Usenet subscription management software? ideally uucp node can sent email to subscribe itself to desired newsgrouop and then get batched news.

Grant Taylor

non lue,
7 sept. 2019, 13:21:1307/09/2019
On 9/7/19 9:08 AM, Radim Kolář wrote:
> Do you have some Usenet subscription management software?

What do you mean by "Usenet subscription management software"?

My experience with Usenet / news servers is that you establish a feed,
specifying what newsgroups you (don't) want and then receive the
articles that are sent to you. I'm not aware of any automated way to
manage that specification of what newsgroups you (don't) want. You can
always send an email to your peer and ask them to modify your feed.

I've never heard of Usenet / news servers operating more like a mailing
list manager with subscriptions.

That being said, it is concevibly possible to configure news to email
gateways that feed into a mailing list manager and then subscribe to the
separate mailing lists as you see fit. But that would be a LOT of
mailing lists.

> ideally uucp node can sent email to subscribe itself to desired
> newsgrouop and then get batched news.

I've never heard of anything like that.

Usenet / news via UUCP would arrive in batches, but it would be based on
the way that the newsmaster configured the feed based on what the
receiving peer indicated that they wanted.

Martin Burmester

non lue,
8 sept. 2019, 05:50:0108/09/2019

Am 07.09.2019 um 19:20 schrieb Grant Taylor:> On 9/7/19 9:08 AM, Radim
Kolář wrote:
>> Do you have some Usenet subscription management software?
>
> What do you mean by "Usenet subscription management software"?
>
> My experience with Usenet / news servers is that you establish a feed,
> specifying what newsgroups you (don't) want and then receive the
> articles that are sent to you. I'm not aware of any automated way to
> manage that specification of what newsgroups you (don't) want. You can
> always send an email to your peer and ask them to modify your feed.
There is gup[1] which automates that process. The user sends commands
via email according to wich the gup software adjusts the newsfeeds file.

I used to interact with that back in the day, but I never bothered to
set that up myself and just process change requests manually.

Cheers,
Martin

[1] https://packages.debian.org/gup

Robert Wolfe

non lue,
8 sept. 2019, 10:18:3308/09/2019
-> From: Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net>
-> Subject: Re: UUCP Email Only Feed
->
-> On 9/7/19 9:08 AM, Radim Kolář wrote:
-> > Do you have some Usenet subscription management software?
->
-> What do you mean by "Usenet subscription management software"?
->
-> My experience with Usenet / news servers is that you establish a feed
-> specifying what newsgroups you (don't) want and then receive the
-> articles that are sent to you. I'm not aware of any automated way to
-> manage that specification of what newsgroups you (don't) want. You c
-> always send an email to your peer and ask them to modify your feed.
->
-> I've never heard of Usenet / news servers operating more like a maili
-> list manager with subscriptions.

Or like a Fidonet-connected BBS like mine :)

Grant Taylor

non lue,
8 sept. 2019, 12:58:1608/09/2019
On 9/8/19 9:16 AM, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Or like a Fidonet-connected BBS like mine :)

Don't FidoNet echos (term?) get transferred to all connected systems
much like Usenet?

Sure, BBS clients can choose which echo they read. But I think all the
echos (and all the messages there in) still get transferred to the node
even if nobody is reading them.

Radim Kolář

non lue,
8 sept. 2019, 14:38:0208/09/2019
> But I think all the echos (and all the messages there in) still get transferred to the node even if nobody is reading them.
Fidonet Nodes are using special netmail address AREAFIX with subject password for subscribing to conference. This is handled by echomail processor. If you do not subscribe your node, you will not get it from uplink. Of course if you carry some echomail no user on your system can be interested in reading.

Grant Taylor

non lue,
9 sept. 2019, 23:29:2809/09/2019
On 9/8/19 12:38 PM, Radim Kolář wrote:
> Fidonet Nodes are using special netmail address AREAFIX with subject
> password for subscribing to conference. This is handled by echomail
> processor. If you do not subscribe your node, you will not get it
> from uplink. Of course if you carry some echomail no user on your
> system can be interested in reading.

Hum. That's new information to me. But I've done exceedingly little
with FidoNet or other FTNs.

Robert Wolfe

non lue,
12 sept. 2019, 18:15:5112/09/2019
-> On 9/8/19 9:16 AM, Robert Wolfe wrote:
-> > Or like a Fidonet-connected BBS like mine :)
->
-> Don't FidoNet echos (term?) get transferred to all connected systems
-> much like Usenet?

No, they do not. Connected systems only get messages in message areas
they subscribe to from their host. For instance, I carry
WILDCAT!_SUPPORT (which I also moderate), but other systems may not if
the Sysop does not want to.

->
-> Sure, BBS clients can choose which echo they read. But I think all t
-> echos (and all the messages there in) still get transferred to the
-> node even if nobody is reading them.

I have echos on my system (Fidonet) that only I read any no one else
reads). And then again, only if messages are actually in them.

Robert Wolfe

non lue,
12 sept. 2019, 18:15:5112/09/2019
-> From: Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net>
->
-> On 9/8/19 12:38 PM, Radim Kolář wrote:
-> > Fidonet Nodes are using special netmail address AREAFIX with
-> subject
-> > password for subscribing to conference. This is handled by echomail
-> > processor. If you do not subscribe your node, you will not get it
-> > from uplink. Of course if you carry some echomail no user on your
-> > system can be interested in reading.
->
-> Hum. That's new information to me. But I've done exceedingly little
-> with FidoNet or other FTNs.

Yeah, I've been running a Fido-connected BBS of some sort or another for
the past 2 1/2 decades now. The BBS that I am posting this from now is
no exception. :)
0 nouveau message