SMTP email smuggling

Alex H

Dec 18, 2023, 9:48:32 PM12/18/23
Curious if Sendmail is vulnerable to the "modified" end of data command as presented on the link below. I see no references to mailer daemons, just to a very limited set of providers/gateways on their timeline details. Hopefully this had been disclosed with Proofpoint already.

https://sec-consult.com/blog/detail/smtp-smuggling-spoofing-e-mails-worldwide/

Alex H

Dec 18, 2023, 9:58:22 PM12/18/23
I take the above back. I just glanced over parts of the blog, and there is a specific section stating most well-known mailer daemons, including Sendmail, are currently vulnerable: "After testing some popular e-mail software in their default configuration, it turned out that Postfix and Sendmail fulfil the requirements, are affected and can be smuggled to."

I guess the catch may be the sentence "in their default configuration". Perhaps there is a mitigation already there that just need to be turned on by default?

Claus Aßmann

Dec 22, 2023, 1:35:15 AM12/22/23
Alex H wrote:

> Perhaps there is a mitigation already there that just need to be turned
> on by default?

8.18.0.2
Accept only CR LF . CR LF as end of an SMTP message as
required by the RFCs when the new srv_features
option 'o' is used.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous