Sendmail does not send notification that disk quota for user is full

M1R0

Nov 15, 2005, 10:21:25 PM11/15/05
hi guys! Can anyone please help me? I've got sendmail as my MTA and I
have a
problem about it. When one of my email users had exceeded his or her
quota
(Let's say his name is sc...@mydomain.com) , The server does not
propogate
an auto-response e-mail to the one who sent an email (Let's say his
name is
bad...@gmail.com) that he (sc...@mydomain.com) had his mailbox full.

ynotssor

Nov 15, 2005, 10:46:29 PM11/15/05
"M1R0" <rai...@gmail.com> wrote in message

sendmail is an MTA, not an LDA. If the Local Delivery Agent is unable to
place the email in the recipient's mailbox due to locally-configured disk
quotas, then it's a local administrative problem, not a sendmail problem.
You might want to configure your LDA to provide such notifications to either
the recipient and/or sender as you see fit.

M1R0

Nov 16, 2005, 12:00:58 AM11/16/05
> sendmail is an MTA, not an LDA. If the Local Delivery Agent is unable to
> place the email in the recipient's mailbox due to locally-configured disk
> quotas, then it's a local administrative problem, not a sendmail problem.
> You might want to configure your LDA to provide such notifications to either
> the recipient and/or sender as you see fit.

Yes, I want to notify the sender that the recipient have used up his
disk space. Can you give me a link that would help me configure this
LDA?

ynotssor

Nov 16, 2005, 12:07:03 AM11/16/05

> Yes, I want to notify the sender that the recipient have used up his
> disk space. Can you give me a link that would help me configure this
> LDA?

You'll have to consult the documentation for whatever LDA it is that you
happen to be using.

Claus Aßmann

Nov 16, 2005, 12:12:04 AM11/16/05
M1R0 wrote:

> I have a problem about it. When one of my email users had exceeded
> his or her quota (Let's say his name is sc...@mydomain.com) , The
> server does not propogate an auto-response e-mail to the one who
> sent an email (Let's say his name is bad...@gmail.com) that he
> (sc...@mydomain.com) had his mailbox full.

mail.local(8):

-b Return a permanent error instead of a temporary
error if a mailbox exceeds quota.

Check the documentation of your LDA.

Also check the archives for ways to tell sendmail not to accept
mails for those users.
--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

M1R0

Nov 16, 2005, 12:28:27 AM11/16/05
How will I know what LDA am I using?

Message has been deleted

Claus Aßmann

Nov 16, 2005, 1:14:29 AM11/16/05
M1R0 wrote:
> How will I know what LDA am I using?

Look for 'Mlocal' in your sendmail.cf file.

M1R0

Nov 16, 2005, 1:28:10 AM11/16/05
ok, thanks. My LDA is procmail.

M1R0

Nov 16, 2005, 1:45:57 AM11/16/05
One last question, is procmail not configured by default when I
installed sendmail that an auto-responder will mail the sender if the
recipient's mail box is full?

Claus Aßmann

Nov 23, 2005, 11:18:30 AM11/23/05

sendmail installation doesn't include procmail. Check the procmail
documentation.

M1R0

Nov 24, 2005, 1:52:00 AM11/24/05
Thanks guys! I now know the problem. When my disk quota is full
Incoming Mails will be forwarded to /var/spool/mail and not to
/home/<my directory> because I was not able to add ORGMAIL=$DEFAULT.
Thanks guys!