530 5.7.0 Authentication required

Tamura Yoshiaki

Jan 24, 2001, 9:59:03 PM1/24/01

Sir.

I made sendmail with SMTP AUTH.
I can send E-Mail via this server but
cannot receive E-Mail from the other server.

The return mail includes the following messages.

---
.. while talking to v420.brise.org.:
>>> MAIL From:<tam...@ns.brise.org> SIZE=46
<<< 530 5.7.0 Authentication required
554 tam...@v420.brise.org... Service unavailable
---

I think sendmail.cf is wrong.
Please tell me right sendmail.mc in order to receive E-Mail
on SMTP AUTH server.

The following is my sendmail.mc. ( FreeBSD4.2R )
-----
divert(0)dnl
VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-bsd4.4.mc,v 8.10 1999/02/07 07:26:02 gshapiro Exp $')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
DOMAIN(`generic')dnl

FEATURE(`access_db', `hash -o /etc/mail/access')dnl
FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')dnl
MASQUERADE_AS(`v420.brise.org')dnl
FEATURE(`local_lmtp')dnl
define(`confCW_FILE', `-o /etc/mail/local-host-names')dnl
define(`confNO_RCPT_ACTION', `add-to-undisclosed')dnl
define(`LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS', LOCAL_MAILER_FLAGS`'P)dnl
define(`confMAX_MIME_HEADER_LENGTH', `256/128')dnl
define(`confPRIVACY_FLAGS', `authwarnings,noexpn,novrfy')dnl
MAILER(`local')dnl
MAILER(`smtp')dnl

dnl FEATURE(`delay_checks')
FEATURE(`promiscuous_relay')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 ANONYMOUS'')dnl
define(`confDEF_AUTH_INFO', `/etc/mail/auth/auth-info')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl turn off default entry for MSA
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

-----

Thanks.

Claus Assmann

Jan 24, 2001, 10:33:09 PM1/24/01
Tamura Yoshiaki wrote:

> <<< 530 5.7.0 Authentication required

Didn't I answer this question before?

Remove this line:

> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

Regenerate your .cf file, install it, and restart sendmail.

--
If you feel the urgent wish to send me a courtesy copy of a Usenet
posting, then make sure it's recognizable as such!

Tamura Yoshiaki

Jan 25, 2001, 7:15:18 PM1/25/01

> From: Claus Assmann

> Remove this line:

> > DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

I did it.
This server could receive E-Mail from the other server.
But I am able to send E-Mail without Authentication.

I want to make server like this.
- When I send E-Mail, this server require authentication.
- This server receive E-Mail without authentication.

I don't know appropriate .mc file.

Thank you.

[...]

Claus Assmann

Jan 25, 2001, 10:52:08 PM1/25/01
Tamura Yoshiaki wrote:

> I want to make server like this.
> - When I send E-Mail, this server require authentication.
> - This server receive E-Mail without authentication.

Use an MSA (see cf/README) and require authentication
on that port.

Why do you want require authentication for yourself?

Per Hedeland

Jan 26, 2001, 7:45:22 PM1/26/01
In article <mailman.980468105.253...@lists.cm.nu>

Tamura Yoshiaki <tam...@brise.org> writes:

> I want to make server like this.
> - When I send E-Mail, this server require authentication.
> - This server receive E-Mail without authentication.

Interesting. How is sendmail supposed to know that it is you that is
sending before you have authenticated yourself? And if by some magic it
already does know that it is you that is sending, what would be gained
by requiring that you authenticate yourself?

--Per Hedeland
p...@bluetail.com

Y.Tamura

Jan 27, 2001, 12:49:04 AM1/27/01

> Per Hedeland writes:

> Interesting. How is sendmail supposed to know that it is you that is
> sending before you have authenticated yourself? And if by some magic it
> already does know that it is you that is sending, what would be gained
> by requiring that you authenticate yourself?

I knew that I said strange or wrong things.
But, it's import for me.

Thank you.

Per Hedeland

Jan 27, 2001, 4:15:54 AM1/27/01
In article <mailman.980574542.284...@lists.cm.nu>

Well, apologies for my sarcastic response, but then please try to
explain in a bit more detail what it really is you want to do (unless
Claus' response covered it) - what you wrote just doesn't make sense.

--Per Hedeland
p...@bluetail.com

Y.Tamura

Jan 27, 2001, 9:06:02 AM1/27/01

Per Hedeland writes:

> Well, apologies for my sarcastic response, but then please try to
> explain in a bit more detail what it really is you want to do (unless
> Claus' response covered it) - what you wrote just doesn't make sense.

Before explaining my question, let me correct my message.

Wrong : > > But, it's import for me.
Right : But, it's important for me.

----
I found sendmail support SMTP AUTH after reading
sendmail homepage.

I have Mail server which many people use it.
They can access this server via my local access point and
roaming access point (iPass).
I thought that SMTP AUTH is very useful for ANTI SPAM
and I can make a system like the following.

In case of sending Mail to my friend.

1. Outlook ----> 2. My Mail Server ---> 3. My friend Mail Server
(SMTP AUTH)

In case of receiving Mail from my friend.

3. Outlook <---- 2. My Mail Server <--- 1. My friend Mail Server
(POP authentication)

I added the following statements to .mc file.
-----

TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
ANONYMOUS'')dnl
define(`confDEF_AUTH_INFO', `/etc/mail/auth/auth-info')dnl
FEATURE(`no_default_msa')dnl turn off default entry for MSA
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
----

After that, my server required authenticaion when I sent Mail.
But my server reject Mail from the other mail server and I found
this messages "530 5.7.0 Authentication required" in returned mail.

I thought some .mc file solve thie problem. Then I sent question.

----
Now, I am thinking like this.

Mail server with SMTP AUTH always require authentication.

So I need two Mail servers.
One is SMTP Server(Sendmail with SMTP AUTH is running)
The other is POP Server
Sendmail without SMTP AUTH is running for receiving
mail from other mail servers
qpopper is runnging for pop users.

Is it still wrong ? Uu...m.

Thank you.

Claus Assmann

Jan 27, 2001, 10:12:17 AM1/27/01
Y.Tamura wrote:

> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl

As I explained before: remove the 'a'.

You do not need it.

Relaying will be denied anyways in the normal case.

Authentication is _implicitly_ required if relaying is denied by
other means. The 'a' just requires authentication always, which
must NOT be used on the MTA (maybe MSA).

zhix...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2014, 3:22:56 AM8/28/14
I meet the problem,change follow is work:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25, Name=MSA, M=Ea')dnl
change to
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=25, Name=MSA')dnl