smtp authentication (different than imap server)

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Vadim

unread,
Dec 19, 2001, 1:05:19 PM12/19/01
to
I am using smtp server which requires authentication. It is different
server than imap server I am using. I also have pop mail maped from that
server. Here is the problem:

In order to use smtp server I need to open pop mailbox on that server first,
and by default I am opening imap INBOX on another server.

Can I ask pine to get authenication to that smtp server? I am the only one
who is using this computer, so security is not an issue.

I looked throgh help and archives, and I found a few references that I need
to uad /user=user, but this didn't help.

Any recomendations?

Thanks,

Gopi Sundaram

unread,
Dec 19, 2001, 6:03:29 PM12/19/01
to
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Vadim wrote:

> I am using smtp server which requires authentication.

From what you say further on, it looks like you need POP before SMTP
authentication.

If you truly need SMTP authentication, then in your Pine configuration,
set smtp-server to your.smtp.server/user=xyzzy

Otherwise, for POP before SMTP, try opening a folder on the POP server
first. Even though your INBOX is set to your IMAP server, you can still
(G)oto the POP mailbox. Or you can open it by selecting from your Incoming
Folders (if that is how you've defined it).

--
Gopi Sundaram
go...@cse.sc.edu
http://www.cse.sc.edu/~gopalan/Pine/

Vadim

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 12:01:54 PM12/20/01
to
> From what you say further on, it looks like you need POP before SMTP
> authentication.
>
> If you truly need SMTP authentication, then in your Pine configuration,
> set smtp-server to your.smtp.server/user=xyzzy

I thought that POP before SMTP is SMTP authentication, but seems like I was
wrong.

>
> Otherwise, for POP before SMTP, try opening a folder on the POP server
> first. Even though your INBOX is set to your IMAP server, you can still
> (G)oto the POP mailbox. Or you can open it by selecting from your
> Incoming Folders (if that is how you've defined it).
>

It is exactly what I am doing now, but I would like Pine to POP automaticly
(on background) when I start it. Is there a way to do it?

THanks,

Gopi Sundaram

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 1:35:14 PM12/20/01
to
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Vadim wrote:

>> Otherwise, for POP before SMTP, try opening a folder on the POP server
>> first. Even though your INBOX is set to your IMAP server, you can still
>> (G)oto the POP mailbox. Or you can open it by selecting from your
>> Incoming Folders (if that is how you've defined it).
>
> It is exactly what I am doing now, but I would like Pine to POP
> automaticly (on background) when I start it. Is there a way to do it?

To what end? Would you like it to open your POP mailbox automatically?
Then set your inbox-path to that. But apparently, you already set your
INBOX to be on an IMAP folder.

If you don't want to change your inbox-path, then try setting up an
initial keystroke sequence that opens your POP mailbox:

(M)ain (S)etup (C)onfigure initial-keystroke-list

Nancy McGough

unread,
Dec 20, 2001, 3:42:15 PM12/20/01
to
On 20 Dec 2001 Vadim (vadimnew...@yahoo.com) wrote:
> I would like Pine to POP automaticly
> (on background) when I start it. Is there a way to do it?

For a while I had to use an SMTP server that required
POP-before-SMTP authentication and on that system
IMAP-before-SMTP satisfied the authentication requirement (does
anyone know if that is always the case?). The way I got Pine to
automatically access the IMAP server before I sent a message was
to EITHER set up...

* an IMAP-accessible personal address book, which I discuss here
<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#abookIMAP>

OR...

* an IMAP-accessible Fcc folder


In either case, Pine accesses (and authenticates to) the IMAP
server before sending.

Please let us know if this works for you,
Thanks,
Nancy
^x


REFERENCE:
The message I'm replying to -- and this entire thread & group --
may be available at

<http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Xns917D5BE09F5EEva...@64.164.98.7>

--
ii Main Pine Page: <http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/>

Nancy McGough <http://www.ii.com/> Infinite Ink
--= Sent via Pine 4.43: IMAP, NNTP & ESMTP for Unix/Win/MacOS X =--

haridsv...@ureach.com

unread,
Dec 21, 2001, 3:01:13 PM12/21/01
to
In article <Pine.A41.4.33.011219...@gopi.austin.ibm.com>, Gopi
Sundaram says...

>
>On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Vadim wrote:
>
>> I am using smtp server which requires authentication.
>
>From what you say further on, it looks like you need POP before SMTP
>authentication.
>
>If you truly need SMTP authentication, then in your Pine configuration,
>set smtp-server to your.smtp.server/user=xyzzy
>
>Otherwise, for POP before SMTP, try opening a folder on the POP server
>first. Even though your INBOX is set to your IMAP server, you can still
>(G)oto the POP mailbox. Or you can open it by selecting from your Incoming
>Folders (if that is how you've defined it).
>
>--

I pop yahoo mail using pine on windows. Yesterday Yahoo sent an email saying
that starting from Jan 15th their SMTP server requires authentication to send
messages. I think this is more than doing doing a POP before doing an SMTP send
(this is already the case, if you don't do a pop, the outgoing mail is
rejected). So, is setting smtp-server to your.smtp.server/user=xyzzy the
solution?


Thank you,
Hari

Jeffrey Goldberg

unread,
Dec 21, 2001, 4:01:11 PM12/21/01
to
On Dec 21, 2001 haridsv...@ureach.com wrote
in <dyMU7.7213$XC5....@www.newsranger.com>:

> I pop yahoo mail using pine on windows. Yesterday Yahoo sent an email saying
> that starting from Jan 15th their SMTP server requires authentication to send
> messages. I think this is more than doing doing a POP before doing an SMTP send
> (this is already the case, if you don't do a pop, the outgoing mail is
> rejected). So, is setting smtp-server to your.smtp.server/user=xyzzy the
> solution?

It should be.

There is a terminological confusion we have. POP before SMTP is a form of
authentication, but typically when people talk about SMTP authentication,
they typically mean an authentication that happens over SMTP (or under it
via SSL).

-j


--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
Relativism is the triumph of authority over truth, convention over justice
I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.

Vadim

unread,
Dec 26, 2001, 2:03:37 PM12/26/01
to
> If you don't want to change your inbox-path, then try setting up an
> initial keystroke sequence that opens your POP mailbox:
>

That worked (L,>,N,>,<,P,>)

Thanks,

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages