New Mail Notifications Again

Chime Hart

Nov 29, 2021, 8:45:21 PM11/29/21
Especially for Edwardo or any1 eles experience this? Several months ago I
mentioned inconsistancies with the "new mail" notifications. What happens some
times, I am in an index of nearly 80 messages, useing an aggregate command to
mark messages for deletion. Meanwhile like this morning, an index advances by 1
number without any beep or announcement. In addition, there are times when new
mail arrives, just says, "sorting inbox" I get mail from an smtp connection to
fastmail. And while I am quite happy with "new mail on quitting" it would be
great if it would announce how many new items came in. Thanks so much in
advance.
Chime

Eduardo Chappa

Nov 29, 2021, 11:45:10 PM11/29/21
Dear Chime,

Alpine typically announces new mail when it arrives, so I would be
interested in knowing situations in which it does not. It seems you are
saying that Alpine does not announce new mail when the folder is sorted,
and instead of seeing a new mail announcement you see a "sorting" message.
Is that correct?

My hunch is that you might be missing the new mail announcement when you
press a key at the time that the new mail announcement is printed in the
screen. Could that explain what you are seeing?

Also, Alpine tells you the number of new messages that have arrived
since the last keystroke your pressed, that is, if you, say, go have a cup
of tea, when you come back to Alpine you will see the number of new
messages that arrived since the time you left, but as soon as you press a
key that counter will reset to 0, so you will start seeing an announcement
for each new message without regard to the number of new messages that
arrived while you were away. Does this make sense?

In any case, if you find a way to reliably reproduce that the issue you
are reporting, please send me a list of steps I can use to reproduce the
issue and I will be happy to fix that.

Thank you.

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Chime Hart

Nov 30, 2021, 6:11:58 PM11/30/21
Thank you Eduardo: And also, thanks for your willingness to look in to these
inconsistancies. 1 item you confused in my request, when you enable "check new
mail on quitting" it will announce, "new mail just arrived, do you still want
to exit" Well, why couldn't it announce how many new items came in as it does
in many other cases?
Now, otherwise your explanations may make sense, but just guessing, maybe it
depends on how you are sorting messages? I am wondering if there are either
trace or debug files I can run tomorrow morning, while mail is wildly arriving?
I could then write you off-line with an url to grab them? It would be nice if
such a file would also show a control+g when the bell rings. Actually, I rather
wish I could root that bell to a sound-card, as the beep program in Debian SID
has no way of ajusting the volume. Thanks so much in advance
Chime

William Unruh

Nov 30, 2021, 9:06:47 PM11/30/21
On 2021-11-30, Chime Hart <ch...@hubert-humphrey.com> wrote:
> Thank you Eduardo: And also, thanks for your willingness to look in to these
> inconsistancies. 1 item you confused in my request, when you enable "check new
> mail on quitting" it will announce, "new mail just arrived, do you still want
> to exit" Well, why couldn't it announce how many new items came in as it does
> in many other cases?

Have you gotten more than one new mail in those cases?His explanation
seemed to suggest that when you are using pine, you will get
announcements one at a time, not cumulative.

Chime Hart

Dec 1, 2021, 12:15:44 AM12/1/21
Hi William: While in an inbox in Alpine, yes, I either get notifications of a
single message or "3 new messages, most recently from" What I was also
referring to is when I quit Alpine, it mentions that new mail arrived, but
doesn't say how many.
Chime

Eduardo Chappa

Dec 3, 2021, 11:28:03 PM12/3/21
Dear Chime, I have added this to Alpine and is available in the git
repository now or you will see it in the next release of Alpine.