ETA on next version of Pine?

1 view

sli...@slidge.com

Mar 1, 2004, 11:37:43 AM3/1/04
There was a reference made in my question about Pine and SpamAssassin
that the next version of Pine would allow filtering through external
programs.

Is there an ETA for the next release?

Thanks!

Mark Crispin

Mar 1, 2004, 12:27:59 PM3/1/04
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 sli...@slidge.com wrote:
> Is there an ETA for the next release?

I can't give you an exact date, but I can assure you that we're busy
crossing the t's and dotting the i's on Pine 4.60. We've had two
pre-releases, and we're working on the issues identified by our
pre-release testers.

We understand that it is frustrating waiting for a release with no more
specific release date than "real soon now." But it is Real Soon Now.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

sli...@slidge.com

Mar 1, 2004, 2:41:26 PM3/1/04
>We understand that it is frustrating waiting for a release with no more
>specific release date than "real soon now." But it is Real Soon Now.

Sweet.

n...@sp.am

Mar 27, 2004, 6:48:08 PM3/27/04
>> Is there an ETA for the next release?
>
>I can't give you an exact date, but I can assure you that we're busy
>crossing the t's and dotting the i's on Pine 4.60. We've had two
>pre-releases, and we're working on the issues identified by our
>pre-release testers.
>
>We understand that it is frustrating waiting for a release with no more
>specific release date than "real soon now." But it is Real Soon Now.

How does one get access to such pre-releases ?
--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

Nancy McGough

Mar 28, 2004, 4:06:07 AM3/28/04
Hello Frédéric,

On 27 Mar 2004 n...@sp.am (n...@sp.am) wrote:
> How does one get access to such pre-releases ?

The way I got to be part of the alpha testing team was by asking
the Pine Team a long time ago. I don't know if they are looking
for testers, but you could ask!

> http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

Thank you for mentioning my IMAP page on your contact page!

I have a suggestion about your From: header: You used n...@sp.am
but sp.am is a real domain and I have an email account on it and
helped to pay for the domain registration. Please don't use that
domain -- or any real domain -- when you want to use a bogus
From: header. I recommend always using a real email address and
get a good spam filtering system. If you insist on using a bogus
From: header use something that definitely does not exist and
will never be a real address in the future. I'm not sure what is
recommended address to use and I am curious what other people
recommend.

Thanks,
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough
Infinite Ink ~ <http://www.ii.com>

Gregory

Mar 28, 2004, 7:02:44 AM3/28/04
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Nancy McGough wrote:

> I have a suggestion about your From: header: You used n...@sp.am
> but sp.am is a real domain and I have an email account on it and
> helped to pay for the domain registration. Please don't use that
> domain -- or any real domain -- when you want to use a bogus
> From: header. I recommend always using a real email address and
> get a good spam filtering system. If you insist on using a bogus
> From: header use something that definitely does not exist and
> will never be a real address in the future. I'm not sure what is
> recommended address to use and I am curious what other people
> recommend.

RFC 2606 - Reserved Top Level Domain Names:

".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
glance are invalid.

So I would use something like f...@bar.invalid

--
Ian Gregory
Systems and Applications Manager

Nancy McGough

Mar 30, 2004, 6:06:51 AM3/30/04
On 28 Mar 2004 Gregory (ccs...@herts.ac.uk) wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Nancy McGough wrote:
> > If you insist on using a bogus
> > From: header use something that definitely does not exist and
> > will never be a real address in the future. I'm not sure what is
> > recommended address to use and I am curious what other people
> > recommend.
>

> RFC 2606 - Reserved Top Level Domain Names:
>
> ".invalid" is intended for use in online construction of domain
> names that are sure to be invalid and which it is obvious at a
> glance are invalid.
>
> So I would use something like f...@bar.invalid

Thank you for posting about .invalid Gregory. I've added a new section
to my "Changing Your From Header in Pine" page, where I discuss this:

<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/changing_from/#invalid>

and using a null address, which John Levine discusses below:

> Date: 28 Mar 2004 23:27:39 -0500
> To: Nancy McGough <nm-reverse-...@ii.deflexion.com>
> Subject: Re: FYI: Re: ETA on next version of Pine? (fwd)
> From: John R Levine <jo...@iecc.com>
>
> > a guy who had n...@sp.am in his From: header! I am genuinely
> > interested in knowing what is the recommended bogus From: address
> > to use so if you know, please either post or reply to me
> > personally and I'll post.
>
> Personally, I think it is selfish and irresponsible to post to usenet
> without a replyable return address, but I realize the world is full of
> selfish, irresponsible people. (Yes, I realize you might get some spam.
> BFD.) The irresponsibility is particularly obvious when people are so
> stupid that they use an adddress that is someone else's. I cannot tell
> you how tired I am of getting blowback to dummies.com and gurus.com
> addresses due to nitwits who don't pause to think that mail to
> du...@dummies.com and similar addresses doesn't just disappear.
>
> If someone really doesn't want people to be able to respond to their
> messages, the digital equivalent of scrawling a message on a bathroom
> wall, I'd suggest using a null address <> so it's clear that the author is
> hiding.
>
> So-called munged addresses are equally anti-social, since a lot of MUAs
> don't show the address, only the comment, so users don't notice that the
> address is bogus, and a lot of non-technical users don't realize that they
> should or can fix even allegedly obvious forgeries.

I still think it's best to use a real address that goes somewhere that
has good filtering tools, but for those who insist on using a bogus
From: header, I hope this discussion is useful.

Any more thoughts on this are welcome,
Thank you,
Nancy

PS - John gave me permission to post the message above.

Chris Lawrence

Mar 30, 2004, 8:46:51 AM3/30/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Nancy McGough wrote:

> Any more thoughts on this are welcome,

privacy.net allow anyone to use an address at their domain in places
where the disclosure of an address can lead to spam (such as Usenet).
See http://privacy.net/email/ for details on how to use it.

--
Chris

Frédéric L. W. Meunier

Mar 31, 2004, 12:26:18 AM3/31/04
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004, Nancy McGough wrote:

> Hello Frédéric,
>
> On 27 Mar 2004 n...@sp.am (n...@sp.am) wrote:
> > How does one get access to such pre-releases ?
>
> The way I got to be part of the alpha testing team was by asking
> the Pine Team a long time ago. I don't know if they are looking
> for testers, but you could ask!

OK, I pray.

> I have a suggestion about your From: header: You used n...@sp.am
> but sp.am is a real domain and I have an email account on it and
> helped to pay for the domain registration. Please don't use that
> domain -- or any real domain -- when you want to use a bogus
> From: header.

Sorry, I didn't know. I changed it to .invalid as suggested by
Ian but news.individial.net is so picky that it won't accept
invalid domains.

> I recommend always using a real email address and get a good
> spam filtering system.

I just use some filters on Pine and that's all. I don't feel
like installing other IMAP remote filters on 3 OSes and for 5
different accounts (from 4 providers).

> If you insist on using a bogus From: header use something
> that definitely does not exist and will never be a real
> address in the future. I'm not sure what is recommended
> address to use and I am curious what other people recommend.

"1...@N0pervalidus.netSP4M" or "1...@N0SP4Mpervalidus.net" didn't
work too.

I'll use the real since I change it from time to time.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

Nancy McGough

Mar 31, 2004, 3:35:59 AM3/31/04
On 31 Mar 2004 Frédéric L. W. Meunier (1...@pervalidus.net) wrote:
> > I recommend always using a real email address and get a good
> > spam filtering system.
>
> I just use some filters on Pine and that's all. I don't feel
> like installing other IMAP remote filters on 3 OSes and for 5
> different accounts (from 4 providers).
>
> > If you insist on using a bogus From: header use something
> > that definitely does not exist and will never be a real
> > address in the future. I'm not sure what is recommended
> > address to use and I am curious what other people recommend.
>
> "1...@N0pervalidus.netSP4M" or "1...@N0SP4Mpervalidus.net" didn't
> work too.
>
> I'll use the real since I change it from time to time.

I highly recommend that you use at least two email addresses: one for
public and one for private. For the public one, I would sign up for a
free (gratis) account on a system that has server-side filtering. I list
many here:

<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/>

My recommendation is a FastMail.FM Guest account and then use a 'plussed
address' for your public posts, for example: fred+...@fastmail.fm.
You can then put your FastMail mailboxes in your Pine incoming-folders
list and use Pine to read/respond/delete/etc the mail that gets past the
FM filters.

More details about all this on my IMAP page and at FastMail.

Good luck,