Canceling in PINE

17 views
Skip to first unread message

Eirik H Kirkerud

unread,
Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
to

Hi,

Is it possible to cancel a message (my own) in news in Pine?

TIA

Eirik Kirkerud

<eiri...@eunet.no>
<No electrons were harmed in the testing of this message>

DearOldDad

unread,
Apr 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/16/99
to
On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:58:34 +0200 Eirik H Kirkerud
<eiri...@eunet.no> articulated:

> Is it possible to cancel a message (my own) in news in Pine?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that it will be cancelled
world-wide or that someone will not see it first. For
starters the cancel has to catch up with the original; Could
take minutes or hours or days. Secondly not all newsservers
honor cancel requests.

Short answer is 'yes' ... Long answer is 'maybe'. I know
that's not much help, but the best system is to re-read your
message before you post it, and then ask yourself "Do I
really want to do this?"

John

Eirik H Kirkerud

unread,
Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
to

Fine, but _how_ do I cancel messages?

Bjorn Tore Knudsen

unread,
Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
to
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Eirik H Kirkerud wrote:

> Fine, but _how_ do I cancel messages?

http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/pine/

Go to "Cancelling Posts".


btk
--

Bjoern Tore Haugan Knudsen, Experimental Nuclear Physics - CERN WA97
Department of Physics, University of Bergen URL: www.fi.uib.no/~btk/


Anonymous

unread,
Apr 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/17/99
to
DearOldDad wrote:
>
> On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:58:34 +0200 Eirik H Kirkerud
> <eiri...@eunet.no> articulated:
> > Is it possible to cancel a message (my own) in news in Pine?
>
> Yes, but that doesn't mean that it will be cancelled
> world-wide or that someone will not see it first. For
> starters the cancel has to catch up with the original; Could
> take minutes or hours or days. Secondly not all newsservers
> honor cancel requests.

these are the attributes of _any_ Control: Cancel
friendly or rogue.

Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough

unread,
Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
to
On 17 Apr 1999, Eirik H Kirkerud <eiri...@eunet.no> wrote:
> Fine, but _how_ do I cancel messages?

What I do is have my customized-hdrs list contain

Control,

along with a lot of other customized headers that I use. Note that if
a customized header is blank, it will not be sent out with a
message. Then whenever I want to cancel a message I do this:

1] In the message you want to cancel, type H to view full headers.

2] Copy the Message-ID -- including angle brackets -- into your
clipboard. For example, if it is:

Message-ID: <bar>

Your clipboard will contain:

<bar>

3] Type R to reply to your message. Do not include the original message
in the reply and choose F for followup. This will set your Newsgroups
header so it contains the newsgroup(s) your message was posted to.

5] (Optional) Insert the word `Cancel' at the beginning of the Subject.
The subject can be anything non-blank.

4] Type ^R to view rich headers.

5] (Essential) Go to the Control header and paste the Message-ID that
is in your clipboard. Insert `cancel ' before the Message-ID so
the header looks like this:

Control: cancel <bar>

6] Type ^X to send this cancel message.

7] After a while (it sometimes takes quite a while), check to see
if your message was canceled.


If you are like me and never remember what exactly is the format of
the Control header, you can create a role called `cancel' that
contains these instructions as the template. After you use the
template to remind you how to construct the headers, delete the body
of the message and send it. It's actually ok if you send out text in
the body of the message but it's a waste of bandwidth.

Good luck,
Feedback is welcome on these instructions,
Nancy


--
For Pine info and links, see www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/

ŠNancy McGough http://www.ii.com Infinite Ink
--= Posted via PINE: Power Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--


Alan J. Flavell

unread,
Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
to
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote:

[...]

> Feedback is welcome on these instructions,

They looked fine to me ;-)

There's another method, that seems especially appropriate for posting a
corrected version, namely the Supersedes: header (spelling is
important!).

I keep a blank Supersedes: header in my PINE "additional headers"
configuration (as you rightly note, such blank headers get ignored by
PINE when they're not filled-in), and then when I want to post a
corrected version of a posting or f'up, I copy/paste the message-id
(including the < > brackets) into the Supersedes: header in a similar
way to what you were describing. This works fine. In fact, it works
better for me, as it seems Supersedes: headers get honoured in
situations where Cancel postings are not. And there is never any
confusion about different propagation of the corrected posting and the
Cancel posting, which could get out of step as they traverse usenet.

I feel that it's neater, in appropriate situations, to post a complete
corrected followup, to replace the one posted in error, rather than
leaving a posting with a serious error in it (which others may later
find) and hoping to correct it with a brief followup correction (which
they might miss).

all the best


leib...@u.washington.edu

unread,
Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
to
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

> [...]


>
> There's another method, that seems especially appropriate for posting a
> corrected version, namely the Supersedes: header (spelling is
> important!).

<snip>

> This works fine. In fact, it works better for me, as it seems
> Supersedes: headers get honoured in situations where Cancel postings
> are not. And there is never any confusion about different propagation
> of the corrected posting and the Cancel posting, which could get out
> of step as they traverse usenet.
>
> I feel that it's neater, in appropriate situations, to post a complete
> corrected followup, to replace the one posted in error, rather than
> leaving a posting with a serious error in it (which others may later
> find) and hoping to correct it with a brief followup correction (which
> they might miss).
>

How does this work with people who've already read your original post and
(in Pine, for example) pressed D to delete it and X to exclude it? Do
they see the message again, or miss your correction altogether?

--
Scott Leibrand
leib...@u.washington.edu
* RCW 19.190 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message. *

Alan J. Flavell

unread,
Apr 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/19/99
to
On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 leib...@u.washington.edu wrote:

(Supesedes: header)

> How does this work with people who've already read your original post and
> (in Pine, for example) pressed D to delete it and X to exclude it?

The new posting has an entirely new message-id, and is a separate
posting altogether; the extra header line (the Supersedes: specifying
the message-id of the earlier, in this case erroneous, posting) merely
tells news servers to consider the old posting to be expired. Aside
from that, the new posting is treated like any new posting, AIUI (to be
on the safe side, I just did a little experiment on misc.test, and it
all seemed to go according to plan, as I'd expected).

> Do
> they see the message again, or miss your correction altogether?

They _do_ see the correction, but they do not see the earlier,
now-superseded posting again. Not even if they review the postings they
had already marked deleted (the &-command in PINE), because the news
server will no longer show them the earlier, superseded, posting again.

The only way they could miss the corrected version is with news readers
that filter out (e.g via a killfile) - perhaps after seeing the
erroneous posting they had killfiled the author, or the subject line, or
the thread, then they would not see the correction. But this is normal,
yes? and anyway, PINE (for better or for worse) does not have such
facilities.

all the best


Anonymous

unread,
Apr 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/20/99
to
Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote:
>
> Feedback is welcome on these instructions,

Control: Supersedes: and Also-Cancel: should never
be honored by any server. period.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages