Re: Yahoo problem - "FOLDER closed due to access error"

Eduardo Chappa

Mar 11, 2022, 11:07:19 AM3/11/22
On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, andy schleck wrote:

> The problem: after exactely 1 hour, every Yahoo folders are closed from
> server. I tried to set the "incoming check interval" to very short time
> (only 5 secs), but Yahoo server does not keep alive the connection after
> one hour.

Dear Andy,

two questions: which version of Alpine are you using and are you using
xoauth2 to authenticate in Yahoo?

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Eduardo Chappa

Mar 11, 2022, 11:14:03 PM3/11/22
On Fri, 11 Mar 2022, andy schleck wrote:

> The problem: after exactely 1 hour, every Yahoo folders are closed from
> server. I tried to set the "incoming check interval" to very short time
> (only 5 secs), but Yahoo server does not keep alive the connection after
> one hour.

Dear Andy,

I have had a session with Yahoo! connected for over two hours open and I
do not see any problem. I am using the latest version from the repository
at

https://repo.or.cz/alpine.git

If it is possible for you to test that version, would you mind testing
it and see if the problem can be reproduced with that version?

Thank you.

andy schleck

Mar 14, 2022, 4:18:27 PM3/14/22
Hi, Eduardo.
Sorry for my late reply, but I don't know why, my original post is not visible anymore. :-O

Anyway: I use this version:
Version 2.25

I built it via pamac (Manjaro Linux) from the AUR repository.
The alpine-2.25.tar.xz package has the same checksum MD5 value than the package on http://alpine.x10host.com/alpine/release/
And, no, I don't use xoauth2 to authenticate.
I use the third-party app password create in Yahoo.

This is the relevant part of my .pine-debug1 file (for my two Yahoo's account):
IMAP DEBUG 11:49:29 3/11: * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
IMAP 11:49:29 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="myFIRST...@yahoo.com"}Inbox: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out

IMAP DEBUG 11:49:29 3/11: * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
IMAP 11:49:29 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="myFIRST...@yahoo.com}Inbox: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out

IMAP 11:49:29 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="myFIRST...@yahoo.com"}Inbox: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)

IMAP DEBUG 11:49:37 3/11: 010000c8 NOOP
IMAP DEBUG 11:49:37 3/11: * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
IMAP 11:49:37 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="mySECON...@yahoo.com"}Inbox: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out

IMAP DEBUG 11:49:37 3/11: * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
IMAP 11:49:37 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="mySECON...@yahoo.com"}Inbox: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out

IMAP 11:49:37 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="mySECON...@yahoo.com"}Inbox: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)

Perhaps would I use the xoauth2 authentication?
Or the problem is because I check two yahoo accounts at the same time? (Now that I think about it, I could try to check only one account - I'll do it when I have some time) .
A workaround could be to force a close-and-reopen action, but this is possible only manually, and it would be very annoying.

Eduardo Chappa

Mar 15, 2022, 11:16:39 AM3/15/22
On Mon, 14 Mar 2022, andy schleck wrote:

> Anyway: I use this version:
> Version 2.25
>
> I built it via pamac (Manjaro Linux) from the AUR repository.
> The alpine-2.25.tar.xz package has the same checksum MD5 value than the package on http://alpine.x10host.com/alpine/release/
> And, no, I don't use xoauth2 to authenticate.
> I use the third-party app password create in Yahoo.
>
> This is the relevant part of my .pine-debug1 file (for my two Yahoo's account):
> IMAP DEBUG 11:49:29 3/11: * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
> IMAP 11:49:29 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="myFIRST...@yahoo.com"}Inbox: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out

Dear Andy,

That "BYE" reply is a reply to something or a onesided action from the
server. If there is no command from Alpine before that it means that Yahoo
is closing the connection unilaterally for a non-specified reason.

For clarification purposes. There is no standard that says that imap
connections must be renewed every hour, and the practice is that they
don't. So this seems an issue introduced by Yahoo for this type of
connections.

This problem could be avoided if you move to use xoauth2 because in that
case Alpine will renew your session every hour.

> Perhaps would I use the xoauth2 authentication?
> Or the problem is because I check two yahoo accounts at the same time?
> (Now that I think about it, I could try to check only one account - I'll
> do it when I have some time) . A workaround could be to force a
> close-and-reopen action, but this is possible only manually, and it
> would be very annoying.

I do not believe your issue has to do with the number of accounts you use.
Each one should use a different independent connection. I suspect that
moving to XOAUTH2 will solve this issue for you.

andy schleck

Mar 15, 2022, 5:05:45 PM3/15/22
Il giorno martedì 15 marzo 2022 alle 16:16:39 UTC+1 Eduardo Chappa ha scritto:
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2022, andy schleck wrote:
>
> > Anyway: I use this version:
> > Version 2.25
> >
> > I built it via pamac (Manjaro Linux) from the AUR repository.
> > The alpine-2.25.tar.xz package has the same checksum MD5 value than the package on http://alpine.x10host.com/alpine/release/
> > And, no, I don't use xoauth2 to authenticate.
> > I use the third-party app password create in Yahoo.
> >
> > This is the relevant part of my .pine-debug1 file (for my two Yahoo's account):
> > IMAP DEBUG 11:49:29 3/11: * BYE IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
> > IMAP 11:49:29 3/11 mm_notify bye: {internal.imap.mail.g03.yahoodns.net:993/imap/nostarttls/ssl/user="myFIRST...@yahoo.com"}Inbox: IMAP4rev1 Server logging out
> Dear Andy,
>
> That "BYE" reply is a reply to something or a onesided action from the
> server. If there is no command from Alpine before that it means that Yahoo
> is closing the connection unilaterally for a non-specified reason.
>
> For clarification purposes. There is no standard that says that imap
> connections must be renewed every hour, and the practice is that they
> don't. So this seems an issue introduced by Yahoo for this type of
> connections.
>
> This problem could be avoided if you move to use xoauth2 because in that
> case Alpine will renew your session every hour.
[...]
> I do not believe your issue has to do with the number of accounts you use.
> Each one should use a different independent connection. I suspect that
> moving to XOAUTH2 will solve this issue for you.
> --
> Eduardo
> https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)
> http://repo.or.cz/alpine.git (Git)

Hi, dear Eduardo.
You was right.
I tried another account and, this time, I choose to access with XOAUTH2 and the problem is solved.
Thanks for your assistance, Eduardo and to your efforts in Alpine. :-)

I'm trying to edit a bash script to show a desktop notification when an email arrives.
If you think is a good idea, I could post in this group the script, when ready.
Cheers.

Eduardo Chappa

Mar 16, 2022, 1:50:37 AM3/16/22
On Tue, 15 Mar 2022, andy schleck wrote:

> I'm trying to edit a bash script to show a desktop notification when an
> email arrives. If you think is a good idea, I could post in this group
> the script, when ready. Cheers.

Thank you Andy for confirming the issue has been solved. Also, it is a
good idea what you are doing. I do have a program that checks for new
mail, but it lacks xoauth2 support, and I have been thinking of updating
it, but there are people interested in this kind of support, so yes, let
us know if you would like to contribute your script for others to try.

Thank you!