How to explcitly specify the sender with the .pinerc file?

Nicholas Saunders

Jul 7, 2021, 4:00:38 PM7/7/21
I seem to have run into a situation where configuring the alpine e-mail client (formerly just pine) for a specific user seems to override some configuration so that the username for the operating system account is used from within alpine to determine who the e-mail is from.

Why is this happening, generally?

How is the sender explicitly configured?

see also:

https://askubuntu.com/q/1350439/847449

William Unruh

Jul 7, 2021, 5:02:59 PM7/7/21
As far as I know, the pine/alpine name is the username of the account
that invoked pine/alpine.

There was a whole thread about this in this newsgroup about a month ago.

Eduardo Chappa

Jul 7, 2021, 10:45:23 PM7/7/21
On Wed, 7 Jul 2021, Nicholas Saunders wrote:

> I seem to have run into a situation where configuring the alpine e-mail
> client (formerly just pine) for a specific user seems to override some
> configuration so that the username for the operating system account is
> used from within alpine to determine who the e-mail is from.
>
> Why is this happening, generally?
>
> How is the sender explicitly configured?

Dear Nicholas,

Alpine was designed to work in a place where the login name was the same
as the part before the @ symbol. That worked well for the University of
Washington at the time of their design, but it does not meet the needs of
current users who are not loginn in to an account related to the email
address they have. Because of that, you need to change the "From" header,
and there is an excellent explanation of how to do that in Nancy McGough's
page for Alpine that you can find here

http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/changing_from/

(the directios are for Pine, but they apply perfectly to Alpine)

--
Eduardo
https://tinyurl.com/yc377wlh (web)

Nicholas Saunders

Jul 8, 2021, 5:26:43 PM7/8/21
ah, thanks I'll look into how to use roles. Good link.

-Nick

Lucas Levrel

Jul 21, 2021, 8:13:08 AM7/21/21
See also thread "Setting ENVELOPE FROM" started on August 16. We still
don't know how Alpine gets this information from the system :-)

--
LL