Build alpine on Solaris 11.4

mechanic

Oct 11, 2022, 7:19:37 AM10/11/22
Something wrong here - I get directory checksum errors when trying
to untar .tar.xz files downloaded from alpineapp.email - various tar
options tried with no success.

Thoughts?

Dennis Davis

Oct 11, 2022, 8:31:53 AM10/11/22
In article <lg093tl5...@example1357.net>,
xzcat alpine-2.26.tar.xz | tar xpf -

works fine for me.

xzcat is described here:

https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/1-xzcat/

and you can get the software from:

https://tukaani.org/xz/

Alternatively the GNU version of tar can handle .xz files, so:

gtar xpf alpine-2.26.tar.xz

should just work. gtar is standard version of tar installed on
most Linux systems. It's usually available as a port/package on
BSD-based Unix systems. You may need to install GNU tar on your
Solaris system. I used to do this many, many years ago when I
worked on Solaris systems. See:

https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/

You may find that gtar and xz are already available as pre-compiled
packages for Solaris. I just wouldn't know where to look :-(
As usual, Google -- or an alternative search engine -- may be your
friend here.
--
Dennis Davis <denni...@fastmail.fm>

mechanic

Oct 11, 2022, 10:13:00 AM10/11/22
On Tue, 11 Oct 2022 12:31:51 -0000 (UTC), Dennis Davis wrote:

> Alternatively the GNU version of tar can handle .xz files, so:
>
> gtar xpf alpine-2.26.tar.xz
>
> should just work. gtar is standard version of tar installed on
> most Linux systems. It's usually available as a port/package on
> BSD-based Unix systems. You may need to install GNU tar on your
> Solaris system. I used to do this many, many years ago when I
> worked on Solaris systems. See:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/tar/

Thanks, gnu-tar is the installed package with the tar command - but
running the gtar command with the expression quoted above works!

I suspect that won't be the worst problem in getting alpine
installed :-(