On Thu, 5 Mar 2020 11:05:39 -0300, Euler German
>On article <nmn16f530tab05m0e...@4ax.com
>wrote (at least in part):
>> When I go to get mail from my POP3 hosts, I use 5. These 5 are
>> successfully contacted and mail has been successfuly down loaderd from
>> all 5. Then after contacting these 5 an attempt is made to contact
>> The name of this host is one of the 5 working hosts which have just
>> successfully contacted. But this time it fails with messages:
>> 11:32:40.836: --- 5 Mar 2020, 11:32:40.836 ---
>> 11:32:40.836: Connect to 'POP3 cla / cla / att', timeout 15 seconds.
>> 11:32:40.836: 2: Bad address "POP3 cla / cla / att"
>> Disabling all 5 listed POP3 host names does not fix problem.There is
>> still this attempt to go to the host listed in messages above.
>> This problem started after an attempt to create a new identity, which
>> has now been removed. Guess I have managed to corrupt some file or
>> other, but which?
>> P.S. I would have used the forum but in preregistaration I cannot get
>> the 5 digit verification code accepted. I always get "wrong code"
>> when I submit, many many times.
>Can you provide a session log? Please, take care to remove login and
>password prior to post it here.
>As for the forum, are you using any sort of script blocker?
Looking at file PMAIL.ini I found the following in the file:
POP3 Definition = POPDZVLH.PND, 0
POP3 Definition = POPG1QD6.PND, 0
POP3 Definition = POPUYPRI.PND, 0
POP3 Definition = POPBT6UJ.PND, 0
POP3 Definition = POPARX9R.PND, 0
POP3 Definition = POPZR8FZ.PND, 0
Hmm. 6 POP3 definitions, why, when I have only 5 POP3 mailboxes.
I then looked at PMAIL.ini in backups going backwards from March 27,
when I knew the problem hadn't occured. The last entry
POP3 Definition = POPZR8FZ.PND was never there.
I edited out that definition in live PMAIL.ini. The error no longer
I hope doing this isn't going to cause me different problems.
I wish I knew what had caused the problem. On 28th March I was
changing SMTP for an existing entry and creating a new identity using
an existing SMTP setting.
I have now recreated the removed identity, using existing SMTP
setting. All is still OK, no further problems. Thanks. Comments /
I will try to get the foum preregistration to work, but clues would be