Setting default e-mail program

Steve Hayes

May 14, 2012, 2:46:14 PM5/14/12
How do I set a default e-mail program in Windows XP?

I installed a PIM program, and it set itself as my default e-mail program, but
I don't use it for e-mail, so how do I change it to get Pegasus to be my
default e-mail reader?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

s|b

May 14, 2012, 3:13:56 PM5/14/12

<http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+xp+set+default+mailclient>

--
s|b
Message has been deleted

Steve Hayes

May 14, 2012, 11:47:47 PM5/14/12
On Mon, 14 May 2012 14:47:31 -0500, Guy <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]>
wrote:

>Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> I installed a PIM program, and it set itself as my default e-mail
>> program, but I don't use it for e-mail, so how do I change it to
>> get Pegasus to be my default e-mail reader?
>>

>Try pressing the 'System mailer...' button in Pegasus at:
>
>Tools > Options | Incoming mail > Hyperlinks
>
>Default system mail program
> Click here to enable Pegasus Mail as the default
> handler for mailto: URLs on this system.

Thanks, that worked - sort of.

But there is another problem, though I'm not sure if it is related to Pegasus.

I wanted to e-mail a photo from within Picasa, and it now shows Pegasus as the
default e-mail program.

But when I try to send it, it asks for my profile within Microsoft Excahnge.
I'm not sure what Microsoft Exchange is, and why I would want to use it.

Is this a problem with Picasa, With Windows XP, or with Pegasus?

Bob L

May 15, 2012, 3:40:49 AM5/15/12
<haye...@telkomsa.net> wrote:

>How do I set a default e-mail program in Windows XP?
>
>I installed a PIM program, and it set itself as my default e-mail program, but
>I don't use it for e-mail, so how do I change it to get Pegasus to be my
>default e-mail reader?

in IE8, tools -internet options -programs then look at the email
setting - click the down triangle and choose what you want if showing.
Message has been deleted

Steve Hayes

May 15, 2012, 12:17:20 PM5/15/12
On Tue, 15 May 2012 10:10:55 -0500, Guy <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]>
wrote:

>Steve Hayes wrote:
>
>> I wanted to e-mail a photo from within Picasa, and it now shows
>> Pegasus as the default e-mail program.
>>
>> But when I try to send it, it asks for my profile within Microsoft
>> Excahnge. I'm not sure what Microsoft Exchange is, and why I would
>> want to use it.
>>
>> Is this a problem with Picasa, With Windows XP, or with Pegasus?
>>

>Find the file wpmmapi.exe which should be in the
>PMail Program directory.
>
>Try running that program and selecting "Simple MAPI".

I had a look at that and it was quite scary, and had a lot of stuff that I
didn't understand and didn't think I want to know!

I just wanted to e-mail a picture from Picasa to my daughter to ask her to
tell me who was in it, but it seems that it would be easier just to run
Pegasus separately, look for the file on disk and send it as an e-mail
attachment. That doesn't seem to need Microsoft Exchange (whatever that may
be) that asks me to create profiles and all sorts of things -- by the time
I've found out what that is and how to do it I could have sent 20 pictures by
ordinary e-mail attachment.

Thanks for the help, but I think I'll stick to the ordinary way, rather than a
short cut that takes much longer!