Getting strange characters in e-mail

Steve Hayes

Apr 3, 2012, 1:55:19 PM4/3/12
> The strange letters you received:

I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came through like
this:

Boullé's

I asked about it on the list, and this is the reply I received:

> Monday, April 2, 2012, 7:09:51 PM, you wrote:
>
> >> Can anyone provide me with info on when the Boullé's came to
> South Africa?
>
> SH> Boull WHO?
>
> Must be an artefact of your email viewer. My email client (The Bat)
> using its text only view, transcribes the letters perfectly well, as
> do, as it appears from messages in reply, do most other people's.
>
> In my email viewer the two odd letters are replaced by an e acute.

In the reply, the name in the haeader, and in the body of the message, was
quite readable.

I have had a number of other messages with strange cvharacters in them --
capital A with two dots over it, Euro signs, trademark signs and the like.

People blame my reader, Pegasus, for them, but I find that when the guy who
replied top me above quoted the original, it came through fine.

What is causing this, and is there anything I can do about it?

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com

Ray_Net

Mar 25, 2013, 3:56:32 AM3/25/13
In article <53emn79fdtdq83cid...@4ax.com>, haye...@telkomsa.net
says...

> > The strange letters you received:
> >
> I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came through like
> this:
>
> Boullé's
>
> I asked about it on the list, and this is the reply I received:

> > South Africa?
> >
> > SH> Boull WHO?
It look like an UTF8 character inside an html mail sspecifying that the html part is
not charset utf-8 but something like: charset=windows-1252 or charset=iso-8859-15

You have to look in the source os the mail. I don't know if Pegasus offer what
SeaMonkey offer - a right-click gives in the pop-up menu the "View mail source"
choice.

Bill McCray

Mar 25, 2013, 8:11:04 AM3/25/13
In Pegasus, there are tabs across the top of a message: Message,
Attachments, Annotations, and Raw View. Clicking the Raw View tab shows
the source of the message with no translation.

Bill

Michael in der Wiesche

Mar 25, 2013, 11:02:12 AM3/25/13
Am 03.04.2012, 19:55 Uhr, schrieb Steve Hayes <haye...@telkomsa.net>:

>> The strange letters you received:
>>
> I recently had a messagr from a mailing list where a surname came
> through like
> this:
>
> Boullé's

It might be due to a limitation in Pegasus Mail's current mail storing
mechanism, see <http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/37629.aspx> for
details.

Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>

Ray_Net

Mar 25, 2013, 6:40:09 PM3/25/13
In article <kipesp$18p$1...@news.albasani.net>, billm...@mindspring.com says...
Thanks for this info - sometimes very useful.