Re: comp.mail.esmtp or comp.mail.mta ?

Grant Taylor

Jan 7, 2021, 1:05:50 PM1/7/21

On 1/6/21 1:37 PM, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Is there a need for news:comp.mail.esmtp or news:comp.mail.mta ?

I don't know.

They aren't in my active file, so I can't check their history. Which is
in and of itself strange as I thought my active file was based on the
ISC default.

> Translated: Is comp usenet hierarchy dying/dead?

I don't know if the comp.hierarchy is dying any faster or slower than
other hierarchies.

I know that I post to and interact with multiple newsgroups in the comp
hierarchy monthly.

I also question is there any value in removing (part of) the comp
hierarchy? Seeing as how leaving it in the active file seems to take
very few resources.

> Starting formal procedure would be waste of time with no interest.

Starting a formal procedure to do what?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Eli the Bearded

Jan 7, 2021, 5:27:35 PM1/7/21
In comp.mail.misc, Grant Taylor <gta...@tnetconsulting.net> wrote:
> On 1/6/21 1:37 PM, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>> Is there a need for news:comp.mail.esmtp or news:comp.mail.mta ?

Doubtful. comp.mail.misc can cover anything not covered by other
comp.mail.* groups, and comp.mail.misc gets virtually no traffic.

> They aren't in my active file, so I can't check their history. Which is
> in and of itself strange as I thought my active file was based on the
> ISC default.

I think Andrzej was not asking if the groups should be removed, but if
they should be added. (Or maybe he was asking if they should be removed,
but in that case: yes. Those are not official Big-8 newsgroups.)

> I also question is there any value in removing (part of) the comp
> hierarchy? Seeing as how leaving it in the active file seems to take
> very few resources.

It will be mean fewer places for "The Doctor" to post his Xananews
statistics posts, and fewer places for the odd other spammer to show up.

>> Starting formal procedure would be waste of time with no interest.
> Starting a formal procedure to do what?

I think he meant formal procedure to add those groups. I think that
indeed would be a waste of time. As for a formal procedure to remove the
groups, that shouldn't be necessary. Just apply a checkgroups message.
The big-8.org wiki points to this FTP site:

ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/news.announce.newgroups/Group_Lists

for the official list of groups.

Elijah
------
if correct, that shows there have been no changes for six years

Andrzej Adam Filip

Jan 8, 2021, 3:49:14 AM1/8/21
I think that short term "recommendation" may be to
post some replies to news:comp.mail.misc *too*.

news:comp.mail.sendmail is "more alive" and because of it receives also
"much more than sendmail" question.

--
[Andrew] Andrzej A. Filip