What's New in the MH FAQ

1 view

Bill Wohler

Nov 30, 2013, 1:05:30 AM11/30/13
Archive-name: mail/mh-faq/contents
Last-modified: $Date: 2012-11-23 21:47:03 -0800 (Fri, 23 Nov 2012) $
Version: $Revision: 11334 $
Posting-Frequency: biweekly

Folks,

The last time the FAQ was updated was on or around 2012-11-23:

http://www.newt.com/faq/mh.html
http://www.cs.ruu.nl/wais/html/na-dir/mail/mh-faq/part1.html

This article is posted bi-weekly and contains a summary of recent
changes and the FAQ's table of contents at the bottom.

2012-11-23

The big news for this update is nmh 1.5.

Changed Questions

1.02 ...current version? nmh 1.5
1.03 Where can I get MH? Simplify and refer to aptitude and yum
2.16 How...build MH on Windows? Cygnus package now available
2.17 How...build MH on a Mac? Works out of the box
6.04 Fixing [BHST] no servers.. Update for nmh 1.5
6.09 Fixing [BHST] premature... Update for nmh 1.5 and discourage spost

2007-09-23

The MH web site is now http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/ and the MH
book is now at http://rand-mh.sourceforge.net/book/.

Changed Questions

1.02 ...current version? mailutils 1.2
1.03 Where can I get MH? Debian 4.0 nmh 1.1-RC4, update links, mu 1.2
1.04 ...references for MH? Refer to SourceForge
1.06 How...print a MH manual? Refer to SourceForge
2.17 How...build MH on a Mac? Use fink
4.05 ...tools to archive MH? Mention swish++, mairix, and namazu

2006-03-09

Since faqs.org appears to be moribund, I'm now using my site as the
official location of the MH FAQ. I added some missing quotes in
various places, so now Emacs highlighting works better.

New Questions

5.26 How do I fix a bogus In-Reply-To or missing References field?

Changed Questions

1.02 ...current version? nmh 1.2
1.03 Where can I get MH? nmh 1.2
1.04 ...references for MH? New FAQ official site. MH-E manual URL
5.15 make sense of replcomps? Use 1.1 version

2005-10-10

A couple of questions from nmh's original FAQ were folded into
the MH FAQ which is now a part of nmh.

New Questions

1.09 What is the copyright status of nmh?
3.23 Why do folder and flist overlook some of my sub-folders?

Changed Questions

1.02 current version? nmh history update, nmh 1.1-RC4, mailutils 0.6

2005-05-20

MH is now working on the Mac and there are a handful of MH-related
mailing lists archived as gmane.org newsgroups.

New Questions

2.17 How can I build MH on a Mac?

Changed Questions

1.03 Where can I get MH? GNU mailutils on Debian; new mailutils version
1.04 ...references for MH? Added Gmane newsgroups
1.05 ...other MH software? Updated MH-E blurb. Added mutt
2.01 ..machines does MH run on? Added Mac
5.11 ...secure/encryped mail? MH-E now supports GPG
7.06 ...biff applications? Added xlbiff

2004-10-17

OK, this is a record. Three years since the last update. It speaks
to the stability of MH, or to my being a slacker. Your call.

Reviewing some of the previous notes, we see some more changes. nmh
is now at Savannah, MH-E has seen some major development and a
change in case, a new toolset called GNU mailutils has some MH
support.

Igor Sobrado caught my typos in some questions numbers. Reinder
Verlinde found a typo in the POP RFC number scattered throughout the
document.

New Questions

2.16 How can I build MH on Windows?
3.21 Fixing folders: unable to allocate storage for msgstats
3.22 How do I recursively list message attachments?
5.25 How can I keep repl from breaking long lines?
7.07 How do I read new messages filed by procmail?

Changed Questions

1.02 current version? nmh URL, version 1.1-RC3, added GNU mailutils
1.03 Where can I get MH? nmh to Savannah, added GNU mailutils
1.04 ..references for MH? Mailing lists at UCI dead
1.07 How should I report bugs? Use Savannah for nmh
2.01 ..machines does MH run on? Reference new question about Windows
2.05 Does MH support IMAP? Additional advice
3.10 ..read with a Web browser? MHonArc update, UW-imap, wmh, SquirrelMail
3.14 ..no new window w/mhshow Use MM_CHARSET
4.06 ..remove dup messages? Added procmail recipe
6.04 Fixing [BHST] no servers.. sendmail in mts.conf; postproc in profile
6.09 Fixing [BHST] end-of-file Allow localhost in /etc/hosts.allow
App: Removing dup messages My own contribution

2001-07-22

Thanks to the bottom-feeding, address harvesting spam scum, I've
removed the mailto links and replaced @s in addresses with the MHy
"at" in an attempt to protect the mailboxes of the contributors.
If this breaks the way you read this FAQ, please let me know
immediately.

Since my address is in the header and I won't break RFCs to prevent
spam, I'll still take the heat. Thanks to spamfilter by Lars
Wirzenius, Behan Webster, and Brian White, 100 messages are dumped
or bounced a day so spam remains manageable.

2001-03-20

In the past two years a lot has changed. SourceForge was born and
nmh, exmh, and mh-e all moved their developmental work there in an
effort to keep MH relevant in the 21st century.

General changes to this version include a phasing in of nmh commands
and files. Rather than say `mtstailor,' the FAQ now says, `mts.conf
(mtstailor).' Also, the ftp and mail alternatives for obtaining
files have been removed leaving only http sources. Even my mom uses
the Web now.

URLs and examples are all now consistently indented four spaces
(instead of 0, 2, or 4 spaces, or a tab). If this excites you, send
me mail. Here are the specific additions, deletions, and changes:

New Questions

3.18 How can I avoid reading the HTML version of the message?
3.19 How do I view or save attachments?
3.20 How do I view HTML attachments with Netscape?
5.23 How can I remove those "=20" characters when forwarding?
5.24 Can I use mh-format substitution with forw?
8.01 I have a question about mh-e.
t2h - add hyperlinks to message viewed

Changed Questions

Viewing This Article nmh changes to $MHLIB, mtstailor, mhn
1.02 ..current version? nmh 1.0.4, nmh rehomed
1.03 Where can I get MH? get nmh at ftp.mhost.com
1.04 ...references for MH? new nmh and mh-e homes
1.05 ...other MH software? mh-e, exmh at SourceForge
1.07 How should I report bugs? nmh-bugs at mhost.com
2.01 ...machines does MH run... VMware and Cygnus Cygwin
2.02 How do I build MH? Don't build; use Linux packages; nmh info
2.05 Does MH support IMAP? One effort in progress
2.06 ...inc and slocal... Archie is dead. Long live Archie!
2.13 Is there a patch? mh-e-users at lists.sourceforge.net
2.15 POP/IMAP and MH? The saga continues
3.01 scan shows the wrong date? Another buglet uncovered. Beware!
4.05 ...tools to archive MH? Glimpse now at http://www.webglimpse.org/
5.11 ...secure/encryped mail? New mailcrypt home; PGP key server
6.10 ...HELO protocol... mts.conf should be in /etc, not /var
7.01 ...mail filters... More praise about procmail; new address
7.03 ...format of .maildelivery? Archie is dead. Long live Archie!

Deleted Questions

These have been moved to

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=213357&group_id=13357

8.01 Is there documentation for mh-e?
8.02 How can mail aliases can be expanded in mh-e?
8.03 How do I use POP with mh-e?
8.04 Is there a mailing list for mh-e?

The CVS repository for exmh is now available and development
continues.

Changed Questions

1.05 ...MH software available? References to exmh CVS repository.

Version 1.0 of nmh was released, and its location was modified a wee
bit, as were the locations of various other software packages.

Changed Questions

1.02 ...current version/status. nmh version 1.0.
1.04 ...references ... for MH? new nmh directory.
1.05 ...MH software available? new locations for mhtake, plum.
2.08 ...build MH on Linux? Debian now offers nmh as well.

Brent Welch has now left Sun Labs to join John Ousterhout's new
company, Scriptics <http://www.scriptics.com/>. exmh is now at
<http://www.beedub.com/exmh/>. Raphael Manfredi has a new address
<Raphael_Manfredi at grenoble.hp.com>.

Changed Questions

1.02 ...current version/status. nmh version 0.27.
1.03 Where can I get MH? MH tapes and documentation NLA by US mail.
1.04 ...references ... for MH? new nmh directory.
1.05 ...MH software available? new exmh site.
2.13 Is there a patch... exmh-workers rehomed.
3.10 ...with Web browser? Hypermail up to date (thanks Kent Landfield).
7.01 What mail filters... Mail filter FAQ reference, updated mailagent.

This is a special nmh issue. Many of the problems raised in the FAQ
have been resolved in nmh.

This time I've really fixed Paul Pomes address: <ppomes at Qualcomm.com>.

New Questions

5.22 Can I automate the comp -editor mhn process?

Changed Questions

1.02 ...current version/status. nmh version 0.22.
1.04 ...references for MH? nmh-workers mailing list.
1.05 ...MH software available? new mh-e site.
1.07 How should I report bugs? nmh bugs to nmh-workers at math.gatech.edu.
2.07 ...build MH on Solaris 2? nmh builds out of the box.
2.08 ...build MH on Linux? nmh builds out of the box.
2.09 ...build MH on IRIX? nmh builds out of the box.
3.01 ...scan shows wrong date? nmh fixes this bug in addition to MH 6.8.
3.06 ...reading MIME messages? new -nocheckmime arg in nmh.
3.07 ...can't display content"? bug fixed in nmh.
4.01 ...Unix format file? use packf in nmh instead of contrib packmbox.
4.03 ....mh_sequences format.. bug fixed in nmh.
5.02 ...repl with ">"? use repl -format in nmh.
Acknowledgments mention Richard Coleman's efforts with nmh

What's new this year? John Romine nearly released a new version of
MH with some bug fixes. A version of 6.8.4 is floating around, but
it is not "official." In the meantime, Richard Coleman came up with
a new version that fixes a lot of bugs and usability problems and
uses GNU autoconf; this is something that MH sorely needed.

nmh has changed the name of a couple of files: mtstailor is now
mts.conf, mhn_defaults is now mhn.defaults. These changes are noted
wherever these files are referenced.

Since Stephan Gildea <gildea at stop.mail-abuse.org> left the X Consortium,
mh-e has been rehomed down at UCI and exmh followed Brent Welch
<welch at sunlabs.sun.com> over to Sun. Paul Pomes
<ppomes at Qualcomm.com> is now at Qualcomm. Kent Landfield has given
his excellent FAQ site a domain: www.faqs.org.

New Questions

2.15 Do any POP/IMAP servers handle MH format?
3.16 Why is inc splitting messages improperly?
3.17 Can MH thread messages?
4.07 How can I remove holes in numbering?
5.20 When I forward a message, can I use its Subject?
New name for "Can I use mh-format substitution with forw?"
5.21 Why is the timezone field in my 'Date:' field wrong?
7.06 Are there any good biff applications for MH?
8.04 Is there a mailing list for mh-e?
HP-UX 10.20 config file

5.20 Can I use mh-format substitution with forw?

Changed Questions

1.02 ...current version/status. 6.8.4 beta; nmh
1.03 Where can I get MH? Updated list from James Hamilton.
1.04 ...references for MH? www.faqs.org, new mh-e site.
1.05 ...MH software available? new mh-e site.
2.04 ...need to do to use POP? POPSERVICE compilation option.
2.07 ...build MH on Solaris 2? More Rx for compiling.
2.08 ...build MH on Linux? Filename version now 6.8.4-13.
2.12 ...Is there a patch...? New addresses for mh-e and exmh-workers.
2.13 ...build MH on OS/2? The real location for the stuff.
3.02 ...reading Usenet with MH? Sendmail MAILER(pop) info.
4.05 ...tools to archive MH...? glimpse now at ftp://ftp.cs.arizona.edu/glimpse
5.03 ...eliminate duplicate...? Use plain login in Alternate-Mailboxes.
5.09 ...copy messages I send? Use Fcc: @ to save them in current folder.
5.11 ...secure/encryped mail? Premail and PGP key servers.
7.01 ...mail filters...? Location for mailagent.
8.01 ...documentation for mh-e? Now at http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/mh-e/manual/.

What's cool this month is that cross-references to the MH book are
now also hot-links to the on-line book. See for yourself at
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/mh-faq/part1/preamble.html.
You'll notice that I now reference Kent Landfield's new promising
site (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/) since the Ohio State site was
all but dead.

In addition, Jerry address has changed to jpeek at jpeek.com and Jason
Mastaler's address is now jason at Mastaler.COM.

New Questions

5.20 Can I use mh-format substitution with forw?

Changed Questions

1.03 Where can I get MH? The MH directory at UCI is now in pub/mh.
1.04 ...references for MH? Book out of print, new on-line URLs.
1.05 ...MH software available? mhtake for auto alias creation.
2.05 Does MH support IMAP? Tim Showalter's project; Rahul Dhesi's prose
3.09 ...cannot fopen and lock.. How to use lock files.
5.14 What is the Dcc header? More advice on using it.
6.09 ...[BHST] premature end... Use spost instead of post
6.10 ...Sender didn't use HELO mtstailor tips.

Notable additions are the MH Web site (http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/),
the on-line MH book (http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mh/book/), and the
MH patch area (http://www.gw.com/mail/mh/patches/).

Main headings now have a trailing .00 which should help Subject
sorts in nn and other newsreaders. Addresses are now preceeded by
"mailto" when appropriate and other references have been converted
to URL format as well. Dates now have 4-digit years in preparation
for the millenium.

As many patches as possible have been removed from FAQ and are now
referenced via an URL to the MH patch site.

New Questions

2.12 Is there a patch to fix this or that?
2.13 How can I build MH on OS/2?
3.11 How can I run inc automatically with POP?
3.12 Why does inc hang (on Sun)?
3.13 How can I get POP to work?
3.14 How do I persuade mhn not to bring up a new window?
3.15 How do I turn off of all the mhn prompts?
5.17 Can I have aliases include aliases?
5.18 Why doesn't mhmail understand aliases?
5.19 How do I send blind carbon copies?

Changed Questions

1.03 Where can I get MH? Updated address for ftp.efd.lth.se.
1.04 ...references for MH? Updated sites, paths, indexed mail archive
1.05 ...MH software available? Added mew, updated info for exmh, mh-e.
1.06 How...print a MH manual? Get it at MH Web site. Updated paths.
2.01 ...machines . MH run on? Added OS/2 info.
2.04 Where can I get POP3? Question reworded. Info on /etc/services.
2.05 Does MH support IMAP? Updated old RFC numbers.
2.08 ...build MH on Linux? Debian and Redhat info.
2.12 ...adding local hostname Discussion of DUMB, REALLYDUMB, and localname.
3.09 ...cannot lock (user)... Reference to new question regarding lockstyle.
5.09 ...save copy of sent msgs? Use of Dcc field.
5.13 ...send mail to many? Reference new question about Bcc.
6.04 ...no servers available Load average too high?
6.07 ...Authentication-Warning Reference "Sender didn't use the HELO protocol"
6.10 ...use the HELO protocol Can also use localname in mtstailor.
6.11 ...hostname not...local Fixed typo.
7.01 ...mail filters available? Added more comments about procmail.
8.01 ...documentation for mh-e? Reference on-line and book info.
8.03 ...POP with mh-e? Reference "...inc automatically with POP?"

Appendix:mhn.c patch 1 moved to patch archive
Appendix:mhn.c patch 2 moved to patch archive
Appendix:IRIX config file Another config file added.

Rather than place the date in square brackets, questions are now
dated with "Date" fields. This will allow newsreaders that can sort
by date (e.g., in nn, ":sort date") to display the newest items
first. In previous items where actual dates could not be
ascertained, the date of the first release, 1 Mar 91, was used.

Because a single question may have several answers, and each answer
has its own set of headers (Date and From), and because I didn't
want to replicate the Subject header, the nn newsreader will have
many empty subject fields in selection mode. While this works for
"sort arrival," other sorts will display the articles out of
context. Sorting on date also works because I have a convention of
placing the most recently modified part first so that it contains
the Subject field. Your comments are appreciated.

References to the MH book have been updated for the 3rd Edition.
References to the Second Edition remain in parenthesis.

The HTML version of the FAQ has some bogus links. If you notice
that both the ftp or http anchor and the file size are both
highlighted, then you'll have to remove the file size from the URL
manually.

The FAQ has now broken the 100k barrier. Shall I:

o leave it alone?
o break it up into 2 pieces?
o break it up at section boundaries (e.g., Intro, Building,
Composing, etc.)?

New Questions

2.09 How can I build MH on IRIX?
2.10 How can I get MH to interpret the Content-Length field?
2.11 How do I build MH on HPUX?
2.12 Can I prevent adding the local hostname to addresses behind firewalls?
3.08 How can I automatically delete MH backup files?
3.09 Fixing "cannot fopen and lock /var/spool/mail/(user)".
3.10 Can I read my mail with a Web browser?
4.05 Are there any good tools to archive MH messages?
4.06 How can I remove duplicate messages?
5.12 How can I send multi-media (MIME) attachments?
5.13 What's the best way to send mail to a long list of people?
5.14 What is the Dcc header?
5.15 How can I make sense of the replcomps file?
5.16 How can I convert quoted-printable to 8bit in quoted text in replies?
Appendix: IRIX config file
Appendix: Removing duplicate messages (Bourne)
Appendix: Removing duplicate messages (Perl)

Changed Questions

Preface Viewing This Article Discusses new Date field, and use of MHLIB.
1.05 ...other MH software... thumper.bellcore.com now ftp.bellcore.com.
1.08 ...convert ... to MH? Added info about unrmail.
2.07 ...build MH on Solaris 2? Don't link with libucb.so, don't ld -s.
2.08 ...build MH on Linux? Description of files, disappearing files.
3.02 ...reading Usenet with MH? Updated mail2news gateways.
5.08 ...change my From header? Use of Alternate-Mailboxes to fix scan.
5.09 ...copy messages I send? Getting Message-ID in Fcc folders.
5.11 ...secure/encryped mail? More info for mailcrypt and pgp.el.
7.01 ...mail filters available? Updated Raphael Manfredi's mailing address.
8.03 ...POP with mh-e? Added basic RPOP info.
Glossary Added description of MHLIB.

The big news is that Jerry's 3rd edition of O'Reilly's "MH & xmh"
book is finally out. This edition has new stuff on MIME, exmh, and
mh-e. Note that Jerry has not yet updated the cross-references in
the FAQ to the new edition.

The mh-e work in the book also encouraged a new release of mh-e
(V. 5.0) which now includes a Texinfo manual. It will be included
with GNU Emacs 19.29 but can be obtained separately. See "What
references exist for MH?" in the FAQ for more info.

Hopefully, the URLs to files and the FAQ Web page are now correct.

Question numbers now have leading zeros so that they sort correctly
(when the FAQ is broken up in nn, for example).

The archive name did not, in fact, change this time around.

New Questions

4.4 How can you save News articles into an MH folder?
5.11 Can I post secure/encryped mail?
6.8 Fixing "post: unexpected response; [RPLY] 503 Need MAIL before RCPT"
6.9 Fixing "post: problem initializing server; [BHST] premature
end-of-file on socket"
6.10 Fixing "Sender didn't use the HELO protocol"
6.11 Fixing "post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 553 Local
configuration error, hostname not recognized as local
8.3 How do I use POP with mh-e?

Changed Questions

1.4 ...references... Fixed mhn-tutorial path, updates above.
1.5 other MH software... New version mh-e.
7.2 ...from can't read mbox... Clarification.
1.8 converting to MH? New script to convert folders en masse.
2.7 ...build MH on Solaris 2? Cure for slocal seggie?
2.8 ...build MH on Linux? Updated paths!
5.4 ...include my signature? Improved mh-e code somewhat.
5.5 call editor with arguments? exec editor; use "$@" instead of $*.
6.1 Problems... draft removed ditto
8.1 ...documentation for mh-e? Yes!
Glossary Added TIS, PEM, PGP and SMTP.

The archive name has been changed yet again. It was mh-faq, then
mh-faq/part1, and now it's mail/mh-faq/part1. The Keywords header is
now Son-of-1036 compliant.

Steps have been made to make it palatable by Thomas Fine's WWW FAQ
converter (see below for the URL although it might take a few days
to get there) as well as several denizens of the net. I've placed
rows of hyphens before each question and added cross references. In
addition, I've moved the author of the answer to the From header and
moved the question number into the Subject header field. It's a
small thing, but I've also moved the pluses (+) and bangs (!) in the
Table of Contents from the beginning of the line to lie *after* the
question number so that new and changed questions subjects are
identical in both the Table of Contents and in the text. This might
affect software that was trained to look for new or changed
questions in the Table of Contents.

If you encounter any difficulties as a result of these changes,
please let me know. You can also let me know if you like these
changes! ;-)

New Questions

3.7 Why do I get "mhn: don't know how to display content"?
mhn.c patch 2 (deal with unknown content types)

Changed Questions

1.3 Where can I get MH? Updated list. Nuked UUCP info. FAQ archive name
2.7 ... build MH on Solaris 2? Added "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH".
2.8 ... build MH on Linux? New patch for libc-4.5.
4.1 . append MH msgs to mbox? packmbox found in /usr/local/lib/mh
7.1 ... mail filters ...? Full description of mailagent
8.1 ...docs for mh-e? We're getting close!

The mh-faq archive is now a directory that contains part1--the
FAQ--and contents--this file. Files that are available via
anonymous ftp are now listed as URLs. Fixed Tom Christiansen's
address.

New Questions

2.7 How can I build MH on Solaris? Hooray!
2.8 How can I build MH on Linux?
3.6 Can I get show not to run "less" so much on MIME messages?

Changed Questions

Preface Viewing This Article Getting IP address by mail
1.3 Where can I get MH? New address at Irvine
1.4 What references exist...? FAQ on Web, new FAQ locations, signature FAQ
1.5 What other MH software...? Added mhunify
3.2 ...reading Usenet with MH? Added more ways, mail-to-news gateways, mhunify
3.5 ...show all of MIME msg..? Way to show ISO 8859-1 character set
5.4 ... include my signature? Reference Signature FAQ
5.6 ... digestify messages...? Can use forw -mime
6.4 ...no servers available" Workarounds presented
Appendix Glossary MIME RFC numbers given
Appendix Copyright Wording fixed

This was a fairly major revamp of the format. It's not HTMLized
yet, but the first step was taken: it's now broken up into more
sections which should make it easier to find the answer to your
question.

Another new thing is that I'll be posting this list bi-weekly so
that new and old readers alike will have a Table of Contents readily
at hand.

Hope you like it.

New questions

3.5 Why doesn't "show" display all of a MIME message?
4.3 Why do I get ".../.mh_sequences is poorly formatted?"
5.9 How can I save a copy of all messages I send?
5.10 Can the folder in Fcc: be dynamically specified?
6.6 Fixing "post: unexpected response; [BHST] no socket opened"
6.7 How do I fix the "X-Authentication-Warning" header?
7.1 What mail filters are available?

Changed questions

1.3 Where can I get MH? Removed IP addr; MH tbl & UUCP info
1.4 What references exist for MH? Please use ftp.uu.net, not ora.com
1.5 What MH software is available? Added exmh; new mh-e
2.5 Does MH support IMAP? Not directly, but this might help

Table of Contents

Legend: + new, - deleted, ! changed
__________________

01.00 Introduction

01.01 Why should I use MH?
01.02 What is the current version/status of MH?
01.03 Where can I get MH?
01.04 What references exist for MH?
01.05 What other MH software is available?
01.06 How can I print a MH manual?
01.07 How should I report bugs?
01.08 How can I convert from my mailer to MH?
01.09 What is the copyright status of nmh?
_________________

02.00 Building MH

02.01 What machines does MH run on?
02.02 How do I build MH?
02.03 What options should I use?
02.04 What do I need to do to use POP?
02.05 Does MH support IMAP?
02.06 Why does "mailgroup mail" only affect inc and not slocal?
02.07 How can I build MH on Solaris 2?
02.08 How can I build MH on Linux?
02.09 How can I build MH on IRIX?
02.10 How can I get MH to interpret the Content-Length field?
02.11 How do I build MH on HP-UX?
02.12 Can I prevent adding the local hostname to addresses behind firewalls?
02.13 Is there a patch to fix this or that?
02.14 How can I build MH on OS/2?
02.15 Do any POP/IMAP servers handle MH format?
02.16 How can I build MH on Windows?
02.17 How can I build MH on a Mac?
________________________

03.00 Scanning & Reading

03.01 What do I do if scan shows the wrong date?
03.02 How would one go about reading Usenet with MH?
03.03 How can I search through multiple folders?
03.04 Why don't MH format commands such as %(friendly) work?
03.05 Why doesn't "show" display all of a MIME message?
03.06 Can I get show not to run "less" so much on MIME messages?
03.07 Why do I get "mhn: don't know how to display content"?
03.08 How can I automatically delete MH backup files?
03.09 Fixing "cannot fopen and lock /var/spool/mail/(user)"
03.10 Can I read my mail with a Web browser?
03.11 How can I run inc automatically with POP?
03.12 Why does inc hang (on Sun)?
03.13 How can I get POP to work?
03.14 How do I persuade mhshow (mhn) not to bring up a new window?
03.15 How do I turn off of all the mhshow (mhn) prompts?
03.16 Why is inc splitting messages improperly?
03.17 Can MH thread messages?
03.18 How can I avoid reading the HTML version of the message?
03.19 How do I view or save attachments?
03.20 How do I view HTML attachments with Netscape?
03.21 Fixing folders: unable to allocate storage for msgstats
03.22 How do I recursively list message attachments?
03.23 Why do folder and flist overlook some of my sub-folders?
____________

04.00 Filing

04.01 Can I append MH messages to a Unix mailbox format file?
04.02 Can I append MH messages to a GNU Emacs rmail BABYL-format file?
04.03 Why do I get ".../.mh_sequences is poorly formatted?"
04.04 How can you save News articles into an MH folder?
04.05 Are there any good tools to archive MH messages?
04.06 How can I remove duplicate messages?
04.07 How can I remove holes in numbering?
__________________________

05.00 Composing & Replying

05.01 Why does repl add a "Re:" to a message that already has one?
05.02 How do I include messages in repl with or without ">"?
05.03 How can I eliminate duplicate copies of letters to myself?
05.04 How can I include my signature?
05.05 How do I call my editor with arguments?
05.06 How can I digestify messages in a folder for mail to another user?
05.07 How can I change my return address?
05.08 How can I change my From header?
05.09 How can I save a copy of all messages I send?
05.10 Can the folder in Fcc: be dynamically specified?
05.11 Can I post secure/encryped mail?
05.12 How can I send multi-media (MIME) attachments?
05.13 What's the best way to send mail to a long list of people?
05.14 What is the Dcc header?
05.15 How can I make sense of the replcomps file?
05.16 How can I convert quoted-printable to 8bit in quoted text in replies?
05.17 Can I have aliases include aliases?
05.18 Why doesn't mhmail understand aliases?
05.19 How do I send blind carbon copies?
05.20 When I forward a message, can I use its Subject?
05.21 Why is the timezone field in my 'Date:' field wrong?
05.22 Can I automate the comp -editor mhn process?
05.23 How can I remove those "=20" characters when forwarding?
05.24 Can I use mh-format substitution with forw?
05.25 How can I keep repl from breaking long lines?
05.26 How do I fix a bogus In-Reply-To or missing References field?
_____________

06.00 Posting

06.01 What to do with "Problems with edit - draft removed".
06.02 Can I run my message through a program (e.g., ispell) before sending?
06.03 What to do with "bad address 'xxx' - no at-sign after local-part".
06.04 Fixing "post: problem initializing server; [BHST] no servers available"
06.05 Fixing "post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 503 Sender
already specified"
06.06 Fixing "post: unexpected response; [BHST] no socket opened"
06.07 How do I fix the "X-Authentication-Warning" header?
06.08 Fixing "post: unexpected response; [RPLY] 503 Need MAIL
before RCPT"
06.09 Fixing "post: problem initializing server; [BHST] premature
end-of-file on socket"
06.10 Fixing "Sender didn't use the HELO protocol"
06.11 Fixing "post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 553 Local
configuration error, hostname not recognized as local"
__________________

07.00 Mail Filters

07.01 What mail filters are available?
07.02 Why slocal writes messages to system mailbox that from(1) can't read.
07.03 Where can I read about slocal and the format of .maildelivery?
07.04 How do I debug my .maildelivery file?
07.05 Why isn't slocal working?
07.06 Are there any good biff applications for MH?
07.07 How do I read new messages filed by procmail?
__________

08.00 MH-E

08.01 I have a question about MH-E
_________

09.00 Xmh

09.01 How can I get xmh to use Emacs as the editor?
09.02 Does xmh support subfolders?
09.03 How do I precede included messages with ">" when replying in xmh?
________

Appendix

Glossary & Acknowledgments
Switching xmh's editor
babyl2mh.pl
inco - babyl to MH converter
t2h - add hyperlinks to message viewed
srvrsmtp.c patch
IRIX config file
HP-UX 10.20 config file

--
Bill Wohler <woh...@newt.com> http://www.newt.com/wohler/ GnuPG ID:610BD9AD
Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!