Status of HERMES project to replace Eudora

Ignataz

May 31, 2022, 8:27:16 PM5/31/22
Any opinions about this?

Nick Werner-Matavka
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hermes-mail-8-0-the-final-stretch/x/22716233#/
We have a "price" of $70 Am. per seat; anything more than that goes to
support the further development of the project

I've contributed very modestly in the past and I am, of course grateful there is a prospect for it to be updated.

But I am surprised by the lack of commercial and developer interest. Many (many!) more modest and obscure projects get the support they need.

Eudora needs multiple dedicated developers, support for bug fixes and installation -- you know, like a real product. Port it, make an enterprise version, keep up with Windows editions (11 is here!) and Google authentication (is nigh!). The value of a new version without the promise of continued support is dubious.

- Charles

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

May 31, 2022, 10:38:46 PM5/31/22
I don't want to be a downer. I love Eudora and would love to have some bug fixes. But I contributed to previous campaigns and while I was not happy that the project didn't produce something tangible, I was even more disappointed there simply were so few status updates. If I'm not mistaken, there were multiple fundraisers on different platforms and I didn't see reporting of the results from any of them.

Maybe we need to hear a bit about what happened with the previous effort before contributing further?

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Ignataz

Jun 4, 2022, 12:43:03 PM6/4/22
JimH <<I'm grateful for the update to QCSSL (OpenSSL), but as for the rest
I'm not sure much has been achieved other than getting most of the old
Qualcomm code to compile. The result isn't as good, or as complete, as
the original Eudora with the Hermes OpenSSL fix applied>>

So... all these years after Eudora source was released there's nothing -- nothing other than QCSSL

JimH <<But in fairness... "complete" requires libraries that Qualcomm wasn't legally
able to distribute when they released the Eudora source>>

Either the libraries need to be licensed (assuming they are available and up-to-date) or replaced (assuming that's possible). Or some third possibility (IAN a programmer).

But if their unavailability means Eudora can't be updated, HERMES is fake.

One thing that makes me nervous about Pandora as a long term substitute is it seems to be one man show. But he created Pandora from scratch, and maintains it.

How many serious programmers should it take to update and maintained Eudora?

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2022, 2:23:45 PM6/4/22
I think that will always be the number available + 1.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Nick Werner-Matavka

Jun 19, 2022, 3:24:32 AM6/19/22
The pandemic has been quite a ride, and it has slowed us down hugely, but Team HERMES is still going. We have a real continuation of Eudora for Windows running on a modern PC; if you have been following our story, we have had to change the name (to HERMES Mail), but we are running the historic Eudora 7.1 code base, improved to work with Unicode and modern OpenSSL. This is not a re-creation, but a real revival of QUALCOMM Eudora.

We did a few little fundraisers before Covid hit, and that bought us time to get running, but until now our finances have been essentially a blank slate. The software is now, for all intents and purposes, complete. This time, we have a FIRM commitment to release to our testers on 1 AUGUST of THIS YEAR!

As proof positive that we have a product to release, please see our screenshots: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aLvQTdHW3x01RJG52oPaw-ujni09XyhC/view?usp=sharing and https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vmTxCRbEPdhAPOHJzMrZ5ovtimvDkEFB/view?usp=sharing

If you wish to become a tester and be among the first to get access to this product, please chip in here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hermes-mail-8-0-the-final-stretch#/

In view of our proven success in this area (albeit delayed), we're aiming for five thousand Canadian dollars this time. That'll allow us to continue developing the Windows version (which will also run on Linux), and begin development on HERMES Mail for Mac.

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Jun 20, 2022, 1:40:37 AM6/20/22
I'm not in a position to try doing anything with my email in August. I have significant contracts I'm working on and any disruption could be very serious. I'll catch up with you in November.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

Nick Werner-Matavka

Jul 4, 2022, 11:19:33 PM7/4/22
Well, we've got even more screenshots if anyone's curious. It's pretty much a drop-in replacement (really, it's a continuation, so Eudora 7.3), so everything carries over.

https://igg.me/at/hermes80

Ignataz

Jul 5, 2022, 12:29:02 PM7/5/22
On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 11:19:33 PM UTC-4, n.theodore.m...@gmail.com wrote:
> Well, we've got even more screenshots if anyone's curious. It's pretty much a drop-in replacement (really, it's a continuation, so Eudora 7.3), so everything carries over.

Screenshots?

What would be more re-assuring is confirmation the project was able to license the libraries it needs -- the ones that are not open source.