new computer, no "admin rights" to install Eudora

zazie

Oct 11, 2022, 2:40:07 PM10/11/22
I have just got myself a new laptop, Win10, but it does not allow me to install Eudora (7.1.0.9):
"an administrator has blocked you from running this app for your protection".

I have tried "run as administrator" but that does not help. On my previous computer (also Win10) I never ran into this problem.
I cannot find much on the forum - any help ? Perhaps I should try a "clean" version of Eudora 7 - can someone point me to a safe place to download it ?
Thank you ! Zazie

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2022, 2:44:51 PM10/11/22
I haven't "installed" Eudora on the last three computers. Just copy everything in the directories to the new hard drive. It will work fine if everything is in the same place respectively.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

zazie

Oct 11, 2022, 2:58:36 PM10/11/22
ah ! perhaps that is the way I did it on previous computers.... I will try (and then make notes of the procedure for future reference ) - thank you !

zazie

Oct 12, 2022, 1:00:19 PM10/12/22
I have copied everything (the folder with eudora.exe and the folder with the mailboxes and attachments, ini files etc ) to the exact same place (path) on the new computer; but I get the message "cannot open Eudora the first time with attachments" and then "please start Eudora by double clicking the icon or by the command line". I did try both (as administrator and as user) but nothing happens. Anyone any idea ?

zazie

Oct 12, 2022, 2:01:18 PM10/12/22
progress: I have managed to reinstall Eudora from the Hermes package (at SourceForge.net). HURRAY ! now some work to be done on certificates and protocols but that is manageable.
Nevertheless: still curious about the warning about the attachments that I got when I tried copying both folders (data + program) to my new computers. So I hope that someone has an idea about the reason for that warning and/or a solution or a workaround.

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2022, 2:40:31 AM10/13/22
On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 2:01:18 PM UTC-4, zazie wrote:
> progress: I have managed to reinstall Eudora from the Hermes package (at SourceForge.net). HURRAY ! now some work to be done on certificates and protocols but that is manageable.
> Nevertheless: still curious about the warning about the attachments that I got when I tried copying both folders (data + program) to my new computers. So I hope that someone has an idea about the reason for that warning and/or a solution or a workaround.

That rings a bell. I think it has been discussed here before. It's not so easy to search newsgroups in a newsreader, but you might try searching on Google Groups.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

DaveH2

Oct 13, 2022, 8:10:13 AM10/13/22
On Thursday, 13 October 2022 at 07:40:31 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 12, 2022 at 2:01:18 PM UTC-4, zazie wrote:
> > progress: I have managed to reinstall Eudora from the Hermes package (at SourceForge.net). HURRAY ! now some work to be done on certificates and protocols but that is manageable.
> > Nevertheless: still curious about the warning about the attachments that I got when I tried copying both folders (data + program) to my new computers. So I hope that someone has an idea about the reason for that warning and/or a solution or a workaround.
> That rings a bell. I think it has been discussed here before. It's not so easy to search newsgroups in a newsreader, but you might try searching on Google Groups.

Make sure that you have ownership of the folder with the attachments and mailboxes in it, and all the subfolders and files within it, and make sure you also have full control of them.