Cannot open Eudora

ceva...@fastmail.fm

Sep 8, 2012, 10:07:45 AM9/8/12
I'm a long-term, mostly happy, Eudora mail user, currently running version 7.1. For the past 24 hours, however, I've been unable to open Eudora. When I click to open it, a dialog box opens reading:

* Error accessing file
* C/users/myname/Appdata/local/temp/eudxxxx.tmp:
* Access is denied
* Cause: No such file or directory exists (2)

I click "OK" - and a new box opens reading:

* Eudora has stopped working
* A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.
* Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I click "Close Program" and here I am, unable to open Eudora.

Things I have tried without success:

* Full McAfee scan
* Malware bites scan
* Speedmax pc scan
* Uninstalled and re-installed Eudora.

Any suggestions for a cure will be greatly appreciated!

Han

Sep 8, 2012, 1:54:32 PM9/8/12
"ceva...@fastmail.fm" <ceva...@fastmail.fm> wrote in
I had a few eud#.htm files in my analogous directory while Eudora was
running. Closing Eudora deleted those files. I have no other eud*.*
files there or any files like yours anywhere. I think the file(s) that
cause your error are left because of some "burp" in your system and
should be renamed (add .txt to them) or deleted (I'd delete them). Then
reboot and restart Eudora. Make notes as to what might have caused the
burp.

--
Best regards
Han

ceva...@fastmail.fm

Sep 8, 2012, 11:02:12 PM9/8/12
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:07:45 AM UTC-4, ceva...@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I'm a long-term, mostly happy, Eudora mail user, currently running version 7.1. For the past 24 hours, however, I've been unable to open Eudora. When I click to open it, a dialog box opens reading:

snip

Thx for the suggestion, Han. I found the subject folder. (C/users/myname/Appdata/local/temp/eudxxxx.tmp) Opening it and looking around, I found six (6) files in the format eudxxx.tmp. I deleted each, closed all the programs and shut down the computer. After a few minutes, I restarted the computer, went online, and clicked to restart Eudora. To my disappointment, the same thing happened, showing the words in the 2 dialog boxes I reported earlier. I have subsequently repeated this maybe 2-3 dozen times. It seems that each time I try to restart Eudora, another eudxxx..tmp file is created, preventing Eudora from successfully starting. Do you think there may be some reasonable finite number of these items in there someplace, and that if I continue this process they could all be eliminated? (I'll get started on Dennis's suggestions tomorrow sometime, but would appreciate any other suggestions in the meantime.)

Han

Sep 9, 2012, 8:24:31 AM9/9/12
"ceva...@fastmail.fm" <ceva...@fastmail.fm> wrote in
There should not be any of those files anywhere. I'd suggest restarting
the machine, NOT going online if you can, and checking for the existence
of those files anywhere. I hope you are showing hidden and system files?
As I said, there shouldn't be any of those files anywhere.

I found a simple free program that is rather fast in making a database of
files on your machine and searching for them. It is called "search
everything". I recommend it for those times you know at least part of a
filename. It does NOT search within files.

Before you go online once you are sure you're clean of those files, try
starting Eudora. It should start, but perhaps with an error message that
you are off line. If you still get the error with the temp files, I
think you have some kind of malware perhaps

Ajo Wissink

Sep 9, 2012, 1:05:57 PM9/9/12
"Inexplicable" problems may pop up, all of a sudden, after a program
has been running for some time, apparently just fine, when Vista or
Windows 7 users have put their Eudora data in Program Files.

The default location for the data is
C\users\yourname\Appdata\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora, but any other
location will work as long as it is not in the restricted Program
Files area.
Message has been deleted

ceva...@fastmail.fm

Sep 10, 2012, 9:46:17 AM9/10/12
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:07:45 AM UTC-4, ceva...@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I'm a long-term, mostly happy, Eudora mail user, currently running version 7.1. For the past 24 hours, however, I've been unable to open Eudora. When I click

snip

In recent days, I have, with no change in the results:
· Opened the folder C/users/myname/Appdata/local/temp/ and deleted all the eudxxxx.tmp files. Closed all programs, powered off the computer; powered the computer back on, and, without going online, clicked to open Eudora. No change in result.
* Looked in the spool folder, and found nothing suspicious.
· Downloaded “search everything” – (Great, useful program!) and looked for suspicious files and found none.

Question – might it conceivably help if I systematically, one by one, removed (to another location) different mailboxes from Eudora, and then tried restarting? Any other ideas?

Han

Sep 10, 2012, 11:53:39 AM9/10/12

> On Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:07:45 AM UTC-4, ceva...@fastmail.fm
> wrote:
>> I'm a long-term, mostly happy, Eudora mail user, currently running
>> versio
> n 7.1. For the past 24 hours, however, I've been unable to open
> Eudora. When I click
>
> snip
>
> In recent days, I have, with no change in the results:
> � Opened the folder C/users/myname/Appdata/local/temp/ and deleted
> all the eudxxxx.tmp files. Closed all programs, powered off the
> computer; powered the computer back on, and, without going online,
> clicked to open Eudora. No change in result. * Looked in the spool
> folder, and found nothing suspicious. � Downloaded "search
> everything" - (Great, useful program!) and looked for suspicious files
> and found none.
>
> Question - might it conceivably help if I systematically, one by one,
> removed (to another location) different mailboxes from Eudora, and
> then tried restarting? Any other ideas?

It seems logical that when you start Eudora, she does something without
you knowing which generates those tmp files. At least, I am suspecting
that is still what is happening. Is that so?

If so, there may be a message that is queued to be sent that Eudora is
trying to send out. Or there is a message on (one of ) your server(s)
that Eudora tries to download. Perhaps those things should be prevented.

To me it seems harmless to rename the socalled system email folders that
Eudora loads into memory by default. As you know, the emails are stored
in files arranged in pairs, so they need to be renamed in pairs. I
suggest that you rename them to something like *4test to make searching
for them later easier. This needs to be done for the socalled system
mailboxes only.

So, rename them like this:
In.mbx & In.toc to In4test.mbx and In4test.toc
Out.mbx & Out.toc to Out4test.mbx and out4test.toc
Trash, similarly, and
Junk also similarly.

Alternatively, MOVE the files as they are to another directory. It could
even be a subdirectory of the folder they are in. Name the folder
4test.fol and the mailboxes should also be available to eudora, but as
"regular" mailboxes, not "system" mailboxes

In the absence of the system mailboxes (you renamed or moved them, so
they aren't there anymore as such), Eudora will make brand new ones.

Now restart Eudora and see what happens.

viar...@cox.net

Sep 10, 2012, 1:13:04 PM9/10/12

viar...@cox.net

Sep 10, 2012, 1:24:31 PM9/10/12
On Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:07:45 AM UTC-4, ceva...@fastmail.fm wrote:
I too like my Eudora - at least I did until I got Windows 7. Have same problem you mention. I resorted to launching it by using "Run As Administrator" (curser over desktop icon, click right button on mouse). A drawback was that it then proceeded to download about 1500 emails; but at least I could use it. Then, a week or so later, it launched in the old style; then had a little problem synchronizing changes I may have made, e.g. priority, etc. All was well until today, when same old error; cant launch in old style. I will need to try some of the suggestions you all have posted. By the way, is it accurate to say there is no longer any Eudora support?

Thanks

John H Meyers

Sep 14, 2012, 2:24:06 AM9/14/12
On 9/10/2012 12:24 PM, viarengo wrote:

> I too like my Eudora - at least I did until I got Windows 7.
> Have same problem you mention.
> I resorted to launching it by using "Run As Administrator"
> A drawback was that it then proceeded to download about 1500 emails.
> Then, a week or so later, it launched in the old style;
> then had a little problem synchronizing changes I may have made.

Those who properly install Eudora on Windows 7
(use original installer, programs into system protected program files,
user data into either "user's application data folder"
or a folder on another drive), and who run Eudora as a normal user
(not "as admin," no "compatibility mode") have smooth, problem-free sailing.

"Only two disjoint selections at a time from address books"
is due to Microsoft's change in operation of certain "tree controls"
(which operate actually more sensibly now,
but Eudora relies on the earlier stupidity of older versions of Windows)
and can be handled by various alternative, creative work-arounds.

Slow first-time use of SSL (via OpenSSL library) after each Eudora launch
was proven to be due to an extremely inefficient Windows internal function,
but a one-byte patch to Eudora program file QCssl.dll
miraculously overcomes this, thanks to one brilliant forum user,
who figured it out from binary disassembly of an entire module.

Resistance to use of Microsoft's ridiculous need to
"swap MAPI DLLs in a Windows system directory"
can be overcome by adjusting permissions
on Microsoft's own versions of its MAPI DLLs.

Other symptoms such as you describe above
nearly always trace back to bad original installing,
and are a consequence of butting your own head
against the toughened security against common malware
that was engineered into Windows, starting with Vista.

If Microsoft had been just a tiny bit tougher,
bad installations of Eudora would never run at all,
and users would be compelled to correct this at once,
but Windows often pretends to comply by re-directing
disallowed file and registry writing to another private area
for each user, without telling the application program
that it has done this, resulting in schizophrenic
run-time behavior which users do not understand,
and blame instead on the innocent application program.

Other applications do not suffer as much as Eudora
from what is fundamentally an original installation violation,
because the installers of other applications
have never allowed a user to commit the blunder
of trying to store their own personal data files
(in this case mail, settings, address books, etc.)
in the same place as the application's program files,
whereas Eudora had allowed that, going way back
to early versions of Windows which had little security
against malware, and now that original leniency,
however convenient it may have seemed when Eudora
and Windows were both young, has grown into a fatal blunder
for so many who took (and are still taking) advantage
of that leniency, much as youth's habits of their diet,
their staying up all night, smoking, drugs, etc.
are causing serious debilitation in the later life
of those who earlier unknowingly abused themselves.

> By the way, is it accurate to say
> there is no longer any Eudora support?

That depends on the meaning of "support."

As far as I am aware, there is no one in Qualcomm
any more working on developing Eudora,
and no one whose job is to personally help any users,
which was available anyway only to users who paid,
but all paying -- whether by users or by companies
who paid to advertise through Eudora --
ended in April 2007, thus terminating the jobs
of all those whose jobs related to Eudora.

However, Qualcomm keeps the original Eudora web site up at
<http://www.eudora.com/archive.html>
with all its free downloads and profuse documentation,
knowledge base and tutorials (some are even interactive),
and also keeps the Eudora user forums system running at
<http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com>

No one in Qualcomm actually participates in those forums,
any more than they participate here, but a few foolish,
nostalgic, long experienced users still succumb to
the urge to try to help other souls in distress,
also cleaning up the spam and malicious postings
which invade practically any open forum site,
and of course some who don't know what they're talking about
also pitch in with some slightly misguided opinions.

Help via a spam-free subscription mailing list,
instead of via an open forum web site, is available at
<http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win>
(there is also a separate Eudora-Mac mailing list)

If the name "Katrina" reminds anyone of someone who has
volunteered enormous time and expertise to help others,
she gave up on this newsgroup (and on Eudora forums)
quite a while back, but she continues her personal support,
even as one of the "Listmoms" of that group of mailing lists,
although I believe she limits her own postings to Eudora-Win.

Finally, in this Internet age, a thing called Google,
if skillfully used, in combination with a very fine
Eudora manual (which wouldn't have existed except for
the original profitable business that Eudora once was),
can lead one quickly to a great deal of direct self-help.

In total, there is as much "support" of these kinds for Eudora
as for any other free email application (e.g. Thunderbird),
via the same means -- mostly via user communities
"staffed" by tired volunteers, and by self-motivated users.

In the end, "you get what you pay for,"
and like a sewer, as Tom Lehrer once quipped,
"what you get out of it depends on what you put into it" :)

--

Message has been deleted

John H Meyers

Sep 15, 2012, 4:14:01 AM9/15/12
On 9/14/2012 3:50 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:

JHM:
>> Qualcomm keeps the original Eudora web site up at
>> <http://www.eudora.com/archive.html>
>> with all its free downloads and profuse documentation,
>> knowledge base and tutorials (some are even interactive),
>> and also keeps the Eudora user forums system running at
>> <http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com>

DLB:
> Except that the Plug-In development kit is no longer available...

That SDK is useful only for plugin _developers_,
not needed by ordinary users.

However, isn't the SDK still available anyway on the FTP site?

ftp.eudora.com/eudora/developers/emsapi/
ftp.qualcomm.com/eudora/developers/emsapi
(the above are the same site)

If not, write to Brana Bujenovic for a copy,
since he seems to be the only known person
still developing or updating classic Eudora plugins :)

ceva...@fastmail.fm

Sep 15, 2012, 10:56:11 AM9/15/12
I'm the one who initiated this conversation a week ago today. On Tuesday the 11th, being a few days into the situation, and being unable to get relief using the several helpful suggestions offered (a sharper mind than mine probably could have made it work), I took the "weenie" way out and sought help on justanswer.com. There, a sharp, young engineer worked with me, eventually - with my permission - logging into my computer, solved the problem. (I watched with fascination, as carefully as I could, as he moved his cursor about, clicking on this & that for over an hour, but I can't understand, much less explain, what he did.} It cost me a few $, and some time, but it was well worth it. He got me up & going again, and recovered all my records back to when the problem began. Regards >>>> Charles V, HHI, SC

On Saturday, September 8, 2012 10:07:45 AM UTC-4, ceva...@fastmail.fm wrote:
> I'm a long-term, mostly happy, Eudora mail user, currently running version 7.1. For the past 24 hours, however, I've been unable to open Eudora. When I click to open it, a dialog box opens reading: * Error accessing file * C/users/myname/Appdata/local/temp/eudxxxx.tmp: * Access is denied * Cause: No such file or directory exists (2) I click "OK" - and a new box opens reading: * Eudora has
<snip>

awe...@cdp.com

Jan 22, 2013, 1:49:01 PM1/22/13
Windows 7 MAPI question

I'm just trying to figure out how to get MAPI working enough for the sole purpose of linking all my existing Eudora emails to a GMAIL account. I don't need any other interaction. I finally ensured that I can freely copy mapi.dll and mapi32.dll to/from the EUmapi... x.dll I am running Eudora AS an admin with the UAC prompt, but, still can't coax Eudora to allow me to enable MAPI.

In addition,

I also -- copied over the MS MAPI32.dll and so now I have all the proper MAPI files in win\sys32.

I then ALSO shut down Eudora, modified the Eudora.INI file for MAPI / POP to be 1 0 instead of 01 and it STILL won't see that I chose MAPI already!

I only have TWO last things to try --- to change the permissions temporarily on the win32 folder, and then also I will set MAPI on an XP Machine, and use THAT INI instead to see if it recognizes that MAPI is on in WIN 7.

FYI - HERE is how you allow MAPI to be changed:
FROM: http://superuser.com/questions/68579/adding-eudora-to-windows-7-default-application-list

How to fix the error message - When Eudora starts in Win7, it displays the error dialog "Could not install Eudora MAPI because MAPI.DLL and/or MAPI32.DLL could not be renamed", followed by the error dialog "Eudora was unable to update the system registry. Your default mail program was not changed.".

==

Answer to Q2.

I had to grant myself permission to the mapi.dll and mapi32.dll files and then run the sweudora.exe program (which sets up Eudora mapi setting). Here is how:

1 Open an administrator command prompt by typing cmd into the start menu search box, and hit the Ctrl+Shift+Enter key combination. 2 To take ownership of the files, you’ll need to use the takeown command.

3 takeown /f C:\Windows\System32\MAPI.DLL

That will give you ownership of the files MAPI.DLL, but you still have no rights to delete or modify the permissions of it.

4 Now run the cacls command to give yourself full control rights to the file: cacls C:\Windows\System32\MAPI.DLL /G geek:F

Note that my username is geek, so you will substitute your username there.

5 Repeat this procedure for MAPI32.DLL 6 Now run sweudora.exe program
-------------------

(( NOTE -- FYI -- running SWeudora.exe ALSO failed when I ran this as an ADMIN, so... ))
Message has been deleted

John H Meyers

Jan 31, 2013, 8:55:29 AM1/31/13
On 1/22/2013 12:49 PM, awelsh wrote:

> Windows 7 MAPI question [and then some answers :]

Yes, this was solved, in much the same way,
and posted in the Qualcomm Eudora forums,
but now the display of those forums
is ruined by someone setting them to require SSL,
on a server that you can't contact on the SSL port
(perhaps whoever did that is enjoying the results
on an internal network within Qualcomm, not realizing
that the rest of the world can not see them :)

You can still barely still read the original solution post,
as well as all or part of its original thread
(after a long delay waiting for blocked additional SSL connections):
<http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?15217&p=46674#post46674>

In which "goldcoastafrica" says:

"I was able to eliminate this error message and utilize MAPI
using Windows 7 Pro and Eudora 7.1.0.9 in Sponsored Mode,
by setting ownership of mapi.dll and mapi32.dll to current user,
and add current user to permissions list and set permissions to Full."

Just below that post is one of my own, following up about "sweudora.exe"

You also noted an independent issue,
that of a different message upon Eudora launch,
"Eudora was unable to update the system registry.
Your _default mail program_ was not changed."

This has a different cause and a different simple solution.

Cause:

Upon launch, while trying to determine user's "default mail program,"
Eudora is testing the registry key which used to be appropriate up to WinXP,
while in Vista and later each user has a different "personal default program" key.
All users are free to set their personal keys, but not the old "system" key.

In addition, Eudora was once told to "not ask me again" about that,
so you never again get to where you are asked and can say "no."

Solution:

Use "Default programs" and "Internet Options" to set your personal default programs,
and independently silence Eudora's complaint via one of these methods:

Copy the following into the body of a new
outgoing Eudora message, then click each "link" in turn
while ALT is being pressed on your keyboard,
and approve the new setting for each option:

<X-Eudora-Option:DefaultMailto=0>
<X-Eudora-Option:WarnDefaultMailto=0>

To accomplish the same thing using the Options interface:

Menu: Tools > Options
Category: Extra Warnings
Setting: Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer

First turn the above warning ON and restart Eudora.
If you are asked whether you want Eudora to be the default mailer.
check-mark "Don't ask me anymore," then click the NO button!

SL

Jul 1, 2013, 11:08:41 PM7/1/13
Hi -

Trying to get MAPI working. I've done all the stuff with the permissions, and am now getting a message:

Could not install Eudora MAPI components since MAPI component is in use. Close all MAPI applications and try again.

I've tried closing everything and rebooting before running sweudora.exe - no luck.

Anyone have a clue?

John H Meyers

Jul 2, 2013, 6:14:06 AM7/2/13
On 7/1/2013 10:08 PM, SL wrote:

> I have two third-party programs I need to send mail from.

This, in itself, indicates that your problem is with Windows,
rather than with Eudora.

> <http://superuser.com/questions/68579/adding-eudora-to-windows-7-default-application-list>

As to making Eudora the default application, the article is mistaken,
because the registry entry that should be tested (and changed if necessary)
is not protected. However, Eudora is testing the system-wide
(rather than Windows' new user-specific) registry key, which is protected,
because not even Vista (the first Windows version to use the new
registry keys) had been released as of Eudora's final version (7.1.0.9)
so Eudora had never heard about the new (user-specific) level of
"making Eudora my default email program."

If you use the Eudora _installer_ to install Eudora,
Windows should thereafter know that Eudora is available
to be designated as any user's default email program,
using the Windows manner of setting default programs,
rather than via Eudora trying to do that on its own,
which it no longer can.

Making Eudora run "as administrator," even once,
can cause problems for some users who may have
incorrectly installed Eudora, to attempt to use mailboxes
located in the "program files" folder, which can then
actually modify files in the "programs" folder during that one time,
but will re-direct all such attempts to other folders at all other times.

The safest universal procedure for permanently turning off
Eudora's testing (and then attempting to change)
the wrong registry key for "my personal default email program"
is therefore:

(a) Turn ON the "Extra Warnings" option to "warn me when I
"Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer."
(b) Re-launch Eudora, and if it ever asks whether you want to set
what actually is the wrong registry key, first put a check mark
in the "Don't ask me again" box, then click the NO button.

The equivalent internal settings can also be set using two "links"
which become active when present in a Eudora message body
(also hold down the ALT key if you just inserted these
into a new outgoing Eudora message body):

<X-Eudora-Option:DefaultMailto=0>
<X-Eudora-Option:WarnDefaultMailto=0>

As to an error message about not being able to rename MAPI DLLs,
made necessary by the need to replace the DLLs,
which is the only way that any email program can take over
Microsoft Outlook's exclusive use of MAPI within MS Windows,
thanks to Microsoft's horrendous design of MAPI,
the article is correct -- you have to "take ownership"
of the files and give yourself "full control,"
and may even need to add some rights for yourself
in the folder containing these DLLs.

Another idea is to independently run SWeudora.exe
(which was formerly called SWmapi.exe)
<http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1897hq.html>
You may run this "as administrator" without risk,
but you'd still need to have taken ownership of the files.

A different Windows feature known as "Automation"
has been reported to work without problems in Vista/Win7 etc.

> Could not install Eudora MAPI components since MAPI component is in use.
> Close all MAPI applications and try again.

That means what it says. If you can't find the application that is using
the DLL(s), you might try asking a Windows-specific forum for help,
or see whether anyone having enough spare time answers here :)

As to the subject line "NEED MAPI to work so I can sync with GMAIL,"
I'm curious to know what MAPI has to do with
"syncing [Eudora?] with Gmail"?
(what does "syncing" mean in this context, anyway?)

jeremysha...@gmail.com

Jul 26, 2019, 4:07:29 AM7/26/19
Same thing happened to me last night. The trouble coincided with a recent Windows update. Luckily a restore point was automatically made and I was able to undo system changes by sort of reverting my computer to a previous restore point. This is what I did.... I went to Settings, searched for System Restore Point and clicked Create System Restore Point and then a System Properties window popped up with a System Protection tab open. I clicked on the button System Restore and followed the instructions. It took about 15 minutes and finally my computer was automatically restarted. I got an error message saying that it was unable to revert to the previous restore point and that no changes had been made BUT... I clicked on Eudora and it now works! I'm worried that it will stop working at the next update or sooner, but at least I have it open now and I can rescue my important files and see my email settings to help migrate to a safer, updated email program. I'm not turning off my computer tonight! Hope that helps!

jeremysha...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2019, 2:14:18 PM8/2/19
Following up...Windows updated and I can still open Eudora. Yay!