Eudora emails to Gmail accounts suddenly not accepted.

John Dresslar

Jul 29, 2022, 12:05:42 AM7/29/22
Like many of you, I've been using Eudora for over twenty years and am loathe to move to anything new. I've got a brand new problem, though. For the past month or so, almost every email I send to a gmail account gets bounced back with the following message:

smtp; 550-5.7.1 [66.117.140.17] Messages missing a valid
messageId header are not 550 5.7.1 accepted

Anyone understand what this means? Why would this suddenly run afoul of Gmail? I haven't changed any settings. Any ideas as to how to insert a sufficient messageID header to get my emails to Gmail users? Thanks in advance.

DaveH2

Jul 29, 2022, 7:19:34 AM7/29/22
FWIW, sending to gmail addresses still seems to be working fine for me.
Do you have the Hermes update installed to make TLS 1.2 connections?

John Dresslar

Aug 2, 2022, 10:15:51 PM8/2/22
D: Thanks for replying. I am not a power user, so I'm not sure what you mean by making TLS 1.2 connections. I just have the standard paid, final (7.1.0/9) stock version of Eudora. I read a little something about Hermes, but my impression was that it is a standalone program - albeit based upon the original Eudora platform. Weird that (a) gmail (and only gmail) suddenly started flagging and blocking my emails, and (b) no one else seems to have encountered this problem. It's driving me nuts, as whenever I have to send an email to a group of recipients - no matter how small the group may be - I have to send two emails (i.e., I have to go to my ISP's web-based, clunky email "program" to send the email again to gmail recipients). How would this Hermes thingy work and would it possibly re-insert the missing "messageID header"?

DaveH2

Aug 3, 2022, 7:43:04 AM8/3/22
On Wednesday, 3 August 2022 at 02:15:51 UTC, jdre...@gmail.com wrote:
> D: Thanks for replying. I am not a power user, so I'm not sure what you mean by making TLS 1.2 connections. I just have the standard paid, final (7.1.0/9) stock version of Eudora. I read a little something about Hermes, but my impression was that it is a standalone program - albeit based upon the original Eudora platform. Weird that (a) gmail (and only gmail) suddenly started flagging and blocking my emails, and (b) no one else seems to have encountered this problem. It's driving me nuts, as whenever I have to send an email to a group of recipients - no matter how small the group may be - I have to send two emails (i.e., I have to go to my ISP's web-based, clunky email "program" to send the email again to gmail recipients). How would this Hermes thingy work and would it possibly re-insert the missing "messageID header"?

TLS 1.2 minimum is now needed for connection to most mail servers. Eudora natively only has TLS 1.0.
The Hermes update adds 1.2 to Eudora, and you should install it, or you will inevitably have connection problems, in the future if not yet.
It's available here -
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/
If you select the 'files' tab, there are two options.
The first is hermsetup.exe.
This is a complete installation of the version of Eudora you already have, with the updated Hermes files.
If you run it, it should find your existing installation and offer you options.
For it to work properly, you need to select to do a new installation, not an update!
Follow the prompts, and it will update things.
Your mail data should not be affected and everything should be exactly as before, but back everything up first just in case!
The other option is to download HermSSL.zip.
This file contains just the updated files, and after extracting them they should be copied to the Eudora program files folder, over-writing the originals.
Don't do this with Eudora running of course!
There is a Microsoft installer file included to put some support files on your system, but you probably have them already.
If you run the installer and it shows an error message, you already have the files and you can just close the message.
Once you've installed the files, you can check if it's worked by downloading some messages, and then looking at the properties of the persona you used to do the download. Under the 'Incoming Mail' tab, click on the 'Last SSL Info' button.
In the 'SSL Version' box it should now say 'TLSv1.2'.
Good luck!

John Dresslar

Aug 3, 2022, 7:03:17 PM8/3/22
Wow! Thanks for the comprehensive advice. Would it make sense for me to first try doing the update-only strategy and, if that doesn't solve the problem, go on to trying your first suggestion (to do a new installation)?

John

DaveH2

Aug 3, 2022, 7:52:20 PM8/3/22
On Wednesday, 3 August 2022 at 23:03:17 UTC, jdre...@gmail.com wrote:
> Wow! Thanks for the comprehensive advice. Would it make sense for me to first try doing the update-only strategy and, if that doesn't solve the problem, go on to trying your first suggestion (to do a new installation)?

I would try with the simple HermSSL.zip files update first, that's what I did, and it worked fine.
One problem with the full installer for Hermes is that it doesn't correctly register Eudora with Windows as an e-mail client.
This can cause problems which will then need to be sorted out afterwards.

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2022, 10:32:55 PM8/3/22
I have never been able to get Eudora registered with Windows as an email client. But then, I've copied the Eudora directory from the last five or six computers I've had over 20 years. I had an installation disk at one time, but that might have been a floppy. Is that possible? I don't think it was the latest revision that everyone runs now.

I also bought a copy of Paintshop Pro, which was an easy to use graphic program. I have the box, but the CD is long gone. I tried contacting them and they wouldn't even return a call.

--

Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

DaveH2

Aug 4, 2022, 12:56:45 PM8/4/22
I still use Paintshop Pro. A great program, does most of the common things that Photoshop does, at a fraction of the price!
I started out years ago with Eudora Lite, which was bundled with my first dial-up modem! That was on a floppy disk, but later versions were on CDs.
It's not essential to have Eudora registered with Windows as an e-mail program, the only real advantage you get is that Eudora will open if you click on a 'mailto' link.
Let me know how the Hermes update goes.

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2022, 2:17:46 AM8/6/22
I'm not doing a Hermes update. I installed the support for the newer security level. That went very easy and simply worked. I don't recall the details, but the only hard part was overcoming my anxiety about mucking with an important program.

--

Rick C.

+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

DaveH2

Aug 6, 2022, 7:01:39 AM8/6/22
I'd be very interested to know how you updated the Eudora TLS security level without Hermes, if you can remember.
Using STunnel is the only other method I know about.

Jim H

Aug 6, 2022, 9:45:02 AM8/6/22
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 21:05:41 -0700 (PDT), in
<34ffb4f2-434a-4d01...@googlegroups.com>, John
Join Listmoms Eudora forum. I think the link is
http://www.listmoms.net/ , but it seems to be down at the moment.
recent server move etc.

Anyhow, go there and ask about a patched version of Eudora that
returns a locally generated Message-ID. Ask about the other things
that have been patched also.

--
Jim H

gnuarm.del...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2022, 10:58:36 AM8/6/22
There is an update with complete instructions. I don't have the link, but it is provided in this group often. I'm sure it is in the Hermes information.

--

Rick C.

-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging

DaveH2

Aug 6, 2022, 2:54:38 PM8/6/22
Sorry Rick, it was John the OP who I was talking through installing Hermes, not you! Apologies for the confusion!
It does sound like it must have been the Hermes update that you installed.
I second Jim H's recommendation to join the Listmoms Eudora support forum.
I've been a member there for some time, and the people there have helped me enormously to carry on using Eudora.

Piet

Aug 15, 2022, 5:13:53 PM8/15/22
Jim H wrote:
> John Dresslar wrote:
>> Like many of you, I've been using Eudora for over twenty years
>> and am loathe to move to anything new.

Yeah: new software, new problems.

>> I've got a brand new problem, though. For the past month or so,
>> almost every email I send to a gmail account gets bounced back
>> with the following message:
>>
>> smtp; 550-5.7.1 [66.117.140.17] Messages missing a valid
>> messageId header are not 550 5.7.1 accepted
>>
>> Anyone understand what this means? Why would this suddenly run
>> afoul of Gmail?
>> I haven't changed any settings. Any ideas as to how to insert
>> a sufficient messageID header to get my emails to Gmail users?
>> Thanks in advance.
>
> Join Listmoms Eudora forum. I think the link is
> http://www.listmoms.net/ , but it seems to be down at the moment.
> recent server move etc.
>
> Anyhow, go there and ask about a patched version of Eudora that
> returns a locally generated Message-ID. Ask about the other things
> that have been patched also.

I send some mail via my isp, but the vast majority via my web
and mail hoster. Indeed Eudora doesn't generate a Message-ID,
but both my isp and my mail hoster correct that by adding a
Message-ID in the header, and a test reveals gmail accepts it.

Note that officially the presence of Message-ID wasn't required
(RFC822, RFC2822), and RFC5322 specifies only that it "SHOULD"
be present, *not* that it "MUST" be present. So Google is wrong,
and to cope with such rfc-ignorants customer-friendly isp's and
mail hosters add their own Message-ID.

-p

Carles M.

Oct 28, 2022, 3:18:06 PM10/28/22
What do you think about the new Eudora 8.0.0 beta-9 announced at https://eudora.en.softonic.com/
Is it working fine?

El dia dilluns, 15 d’agost de 2022 a les 23:13:53 UTC+2, Piet va escriure: