How do I print the email date in the header or footer of the page?

DG

Oct 29, 2006, 8:52:12 PM10/29/06
Thanks for the help.

How do I print the email date (not the date of the printing, but the date
the email was sent) in the header or footer of the page?

For example: the email was sent on July 7, 2001. When I print it out, the
header or footer would say "July 7, 2001". (This is similar to the way
Outlook Express prints emails.)

I'm using Eudora 7.0.1.0.

Thanks for the help.

Daniel Jacobson

Oct 29, 2006, 10:19:16 PM10/29/06
In article <i4qdnUqYWoZax9jY...@comcast.com>, inv...@invalid.invalid says...

> How do I print the email date (not the date of the printing, but the date
> the email was sent) in the header or footer of the page?
>
> For example: the email was sent on July 7, 2001. When I print it out, the
> header or footer would say "July 7, 2001". (This is similar to the way
> Outlook Express prints emails.)
>
> I'm using Eudora 7.0.1.0.

Try:
<X-Eudora-Option:PrintHeaders=1>
--
Over and Out
Daniel Jacobson

DG

Oct 30, 2006, 2:32:34 AM10/30/06
Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, the printing of the headers and footers is already "on" by
default. The problem is that the headers/footers do not print the email
date. They print the name, page number, receiving email address, and the
date printed; but not the date received. I need it to print the date
received.

Thanks for giving it a try.

"Daniel Jacobson" <dani...@iadfw.net> wrote in message

Ogden Johnson III

Oct 30, 2006, 9:23:25 AM10/30/06
"DG" <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>Unfortunately, the printing of the headers and footers is already "on" by
>default. The problem is that the headers/footers do not print the email
>date. They print the name, page number, receiving email address, and the
>date printed; but not the date received. I need it to print the date
>received.
>
>Thanks for giving it a try.

Nothing in the email file you print /contains/ the date received.
Eudora doesn't time-stamp the email when received
(understandable, can you imagine the average evil hacker's glee
at having an email program to exploit that can edit incoming
emails?).

The only thing you can do is to print out the full headers when
you print an email. That will give you on the printed email the
originator's date, the dates/times it passed through the path of
servers, and the date/time received by your server.

Does *any* email client keep individual emails in separate files.
That is the only way I can think of to time stamp, by the back
door, the date/time of receipt.
--
Ogden Johnson
(ne OJ III)

Bobby Knight

Oct 30, 2006, 9:32:37 AM10/30/06
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:23:25 -0500, Ogden Johnson III
<oj3...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Does *any* email client keep individual emails in separate files.
>That is the only way I can think of to time stamp, by the back
>door, the date/time of receipt.

Certainly not what the OP is looking for, but Mailwasher has an option
to show time and date, both sent and received. However there is no
print option.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Pete Granzeau

Oct 30, 2006, 1:39:26 PM10/30/06
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:32:34 -0800, "DG" <inv...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Thanks for your reply.
>
>Unfortunately, the printing of the headers and footers is already "on" by
>default. The problem is that the headers/footers do not print the email
>date. They print the name, page number, receiving email address, and the
>date printed; but not the date received. I need it to print the date
>received.

I just tried printing an e-mail received three plus years ago.

It does not print the date printed. It prints the date and time of
the e-mail (not the date and time received, which is not part of the
e-mail or header).

DG

DG

Oct 30, 2006, 5:45:00 PM10/30/06
Thanks for the help.

I've found that you must do two things to get the send/receive date printed
in the header:
1) disable the microsoft viewer
2) open (double click) on the email in the preview window (if the email
isn't completely open, it will not print the send/receive date in the
header).

It would be nice not to have to open every email just to get print this
info. Is there any way to get this info printed when viewing from the
preview windows?

Again, thanks for the help Erik.

"Erik" <norse...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 23:32:34 -0800, DG wrote:
>
>>Unfortunately, the printing of the headers and footers is already "on" by
>>default. The problem is that the headers/footers do not print the email
>>date. They print the name, page number, receiving email address, and the
>>date printed; but not the date received. I need it to print the date
>>received.
>

> Disabling the Microsoft viewer, and opening the email (instead of
> printing from the preview pane) may do what you want.
>
> Erik

Message has been deleted

Katrina Knight

Nov 1, 2006, 12:23:27 PM11/1/06
Ogden Johnson III <oj3...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does *any* email client keep individual emails in separate files.
> That is the only way I can think of to time stamp, by the back
> door, the date/time of receipt.

Opera not only stores each message in a file, it puts those files in
subdirectories divided by date. Today's mail for the first account would
go in ....\mail\store\acount1\2006\11\1 for example.

Eudora does actually timestamp messages when they're received though. You
just can't see that timestamp. If you look at the mbx file, the line at
the beginning of each message looks something like this:
From ???@??? Thu Nov 1 12:22:23 2006. That timestamp is the time the
message as processed.

--
Katrina

John H Meyers

Nov 2, 2006, 3:38:23 AM11/2/06
On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:23:27 -0600, Katrina Knight wrote:

> Opera not only stores each message in a file, it puts those files in
> subdirectories divided by date. Today's mail for the first account
> would go in ....\mail\store\acount1\2006\11\1 for example.

Opera (v9) may be guided by the sender's "Date" header, however,
whenever that is supplied, and otherwise when retrieved by Opera;
samples from newsfeeds (from which I tried to figure this out),
and confirmation or additional info from Tim Altman of Opera:
http://groups.google.com/group/opera.mail+news/browse_frm/thread/2b2abe6f55c057b2

> Eudora does actually timestamp messages when they're received though.
> You just can't see that timestamp. If you look at the mbx file,
> the line at the beginning of each message looks something like this:
> From ???@??? Thu Nov 1 12:22:23 2006. That timestamp is the time

> the message was processed.

Did the OP ever explain exactly what date/time he is seeking?

(a) According to sender's own computer when transmitted?
(b) At the sender's SMTP server when they saw it?
(c) Received into his POP mailbox (at his POP server)?
(d) Downloaded to his Eudora?

(a) is generally what "Date:" headers indicate.
(b) and (c) may be found in "Received:" headers,
displayable by "Blah blah" button.
(d) is what's found as Katrina has just said,
and of course it's per his own computer's calendar/clock

For many purposes, however, the generally small differences
don't matter, and if something other than the date printed appears,
it will suffice; however, our local telephone company is also
in the ISP business, and we've caught them delaying up to ten days
between (b) and (c) [actually between (b) and our external MX service],
which also brought our help desk a big storm of calls
["where the heck is my mail?"], requiring us to document all this
so that our management would know which end was at fault :)

-[ ]-