two Eudora 7 instances at same time, possible?

luciana hanan

Jan 14, 2024, 7:32:45 AMJan 14
I tried to create two eudora.exe folders, one for each inbox folder.

and put /s on both shortcuts.

I can open each mailbox correctly but I cannot open both exe at the same time. using windows 11.

Is it even possible to have two separate eudora apps opened?

DaveH2

Jan 15, 2024, 9:42:40 AMJan 15
It isn't possible to have two instances of Eudora running at the same time on the same machine.
You can have two separate installations of Eudora, as you've done, but you can only run them one at a time.

Joe Makowiec

Jan 15, 2024, 6:39:10 PMJan 15
On 15 Jan 2024 in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, DaveH2 wrote:

> It isn't possible to have two instances of Eudora running at the
> same time on the same machine. You can have two separate
> installations of Eudora, as you've done, but you can only run them
> one at a time.

I haven't tried it on Win11 as the OP asked, but I frequently have two or
more instances of Eudora running on Win7 and Win10. You set up shortcuts
pointing at separate instances of eudora.ini, and you can run any number.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

DaveH2

Jan 16, 2024, 9:54:35 AMJan 16
That's interesting, I've never tried that!
Maybe it is OK as long as the two installations aren't sharing the same eudora.ini file.
I'm beta testing Aurora, which is the hopeful possible replacement for Eudora, which is built using the Eudora code, and that uses a separate ini file from Eudora, they use aurora.ini and eudora.ini respectively.
Eudora and Aurora still cannot be run at the same time though. When one is running, the other won't open.

Joe Makowiec

Jan 17, 2024, 10:10:48 AMJan 17
On 16 Jan 2024 in comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, DaveH2 wrote:

> Eudora and Aurora still cannot be run at the same time though. When
> one is running, the other won't open.

Eudora drops an "OWNER.LOK" file in its working directory when it starts
running, and won't start another instance IN THAT WORKING DIRECTORY. If
you want to experiment, you may try setting up two separate directories.
Point Aurora at one, Eudora at the other and see if they both run. If
Aurora started from the Eudora code base, I'd suspect that they will.