Where is my data?

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 16, 2009, 7:54:23 PM7/16/09
I now realize that I SCREWED UP. I have Eudora 5.1 on my XP machine
and simply copied C:\Program Files\Eudora from that machine to my new
Vista machine. That was two months ago or so and Eudora has been
working. Now, I want to correctly install the latest version of Eudora
to my Vista machine but don't know where my data files are. I do know
that the inbox is NOT in C:\Program Files\Eudora. Can you guys help me
straighten this out? Thanks.........

John H Meyers

Jul 16, 2009, 8:18:27 PM7/16/09
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:54:23 -0500:

If you are on Vista (or later) and the "Data" path
is also the "Application" (program files) path,
then Eudora was incorrectly installed,
and Windows will re-direct all your newer files
to another place ("VirtualStore" folders):

"Peeking into Vista's virtual store"
http://www.itwriting.com/blog/141-peeking-into-vistas-virtual-store.html

"A Closer Look at Windows Vista, Part I: Security Changes"
(see "Virtualization Example" section)
http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5538

For correct installation of Eudora:

"Installing Eudora on Windows 2000/XP" (and later)
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2128hq.html

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=40803

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=13830

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 16, 2009, 8:55:57 PM7/16/09

I copied my Inbox from the Vista machine to C:\Program Files\Eudora on
the XP machine (where the Inbox came from in the first place) - but my
last two months' of emails are not there (I overwrote In.mbx and
In.toc). I'm totally confused. All I want to do is install 7.1 on my
Vista machine the way I should have in the first place - and have all
my data files up to date.

John H Meyers

Jul 16, 2009, 9:33:21 PM7/16/09
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:55:57 -0500:

> I copied my Inbox from the Vista machine...

If you copied from the application (programs) folder,
then it was not the right file(s).

> to C:\Program Files\Eudora

> on the XP machine (where the Inbox came from in the first place),
> but my last two months' of emails are not there...

The previous reply (and links) explain
how to find the updated Inbox, etc.,
in your Vista "VirtualStore" folders,
corresponding to the original "program files" locations
which were re-directed to those folders.

One needs to study the referenced info a bit,
then you will probably be able to find your updated mail.

You could also try searching your entire user profile (or entire hard disk)
for files "In.mbx" (making sure to search for "hidden" files as well),
then open the "containing folder" and be sure to copy both
"In.mbx" (the mail) and "In.toc" (the index and status info)
together -- otherwise you may lose the additional info,
or end up with an index which doesn't match your mail file.

> All I want to do is install 7.1 on my Vista machine

> the way I should have in the first place.

Isn't that also explained in detail, by following the links that were posted?

Stan Bischof

Jul 17, 2009, 9:29:36 AM7/17/09

To completely eliminate this issue in the future choose yourself
a "home" directory whwre you want to store all of your data. In this
case all your email, but the same applies to all your programs.

For instance set up C:\home\login as your "home" directory
( or \\server\login if you use a network share ).

Then for your email C:\home\login\email ( \\server\login\email )

And of course start Eudora using this path. That way ALL your Eudora
data is in a known specified folder. Note that this becomes completely
portable also between machines and OS's. ANd it allows multiple users
on the same machine to access their own email.

For convenience I create a shortcut to start Eudora of the form:

"C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe" \\server\login\email

So one you find your data move it to where you want it and
avoid this entire issue in the future.

regards

Stan

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 11:52:23 AM7/17/09
On 17 Jul 2009 13:29:36 GMT, Stan Bischof
<st...@newserve.worldbadminton.com> wrote:

Thank you - I have always done this in the past - but Eudora is the
only program that has confused me as to where the data should be. So,
I always let it go to the Program File\Eudora folder.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 11:59:13 AM7/17/09
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:33:21 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:55:57 -0500:
>
>> I copied my Inbox from the Vista machine...
>
>If you copied from the application (programs) folder,
>then it was not the right file(s).

I THINK I understand - but, if I gp into C:\Program Files|Eudora on my
Vista machine and double click on the In.mbx file, Eudora opens with
the correct emails, i.e. all of them. I have performed a search for
any other In.mbx files and can find none. I should say that I am using
Copernic for my search engine and perhaps it doesn't look in all
locations. How should I look at hidden locations? Maybe I should get
rid of Copernic (even though it is very fast) and use Vista's search
engine.

>> to C:\Program Files\Eudora
>> on the XP machine (where the Inbox came from in the first place),
>> but my last two months' of emails are not there...
>
>The previous reply (and links) explain
>how to find the updated Inbox, etc.,
>in your Vista "VirtualStore" folders,
>corresponding to the original "program files" locations
>which were re-directed to those folders.

I followed those instructions but could not find a VirtualStore folder.

>One needs to study the referenced info a bit,
>then you will probably be able to find your updated mail.
>
>You could also try searching your entire user profile (or entire hard disk)
>for files "In.mbx" (making sure to search for "hidden" files as well),

please see above.....

>then open the "containing folder" and be sure to copy both
>"In.mbx" (the mail) and "In.toc" (the index and status info)
>together -- otherwise you may lose the additional info,
>or end up with an index which doesn't match your mail file.
>
>> All I want to do is install 7.1 on my Vista machine
>> the way I should have in the first place.
>
>Isn't that also explained in detail, by following the links that were posted?

Yes, but I don't want to make a mistake by copying the wrong mailboxes
and other data files. This is my wife's Eudora and she would kill me
if I screwed it up!!!

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 12:26:54 PM7/17/09

I was able to unhide files and folders - but still can't find where my
active Eudora data files are. Isn't there someway in Eudora 5.1 that
shows the path to the data files? Perhaps I could call you on the
telephone? Please?

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 1:11:18 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:29:36 -0500, Stan Bischof wrote:

> To completely eliminate this issue in the future choose yourself
> a "home" directory whwre you want to store all of your data. In this
> case all your email, but the same applies to all your programs.

The installer's standard defaults, like those of most other Windows
applications, are already ideal -- it recommends installing programs
into a common, most protected area, and keeping user data within
each user's private profile, which is entirely separate from programs.

"Installing Eudora on Windows 2000/XP" (and later)
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2128hq.html

For those who know exactly what they are doing,
they can put programs anywhere and data anywhere,
but for those who wish to avoid technical details
and just guarantee both success and security,
accepting the original defaults
(or re-installing and selecting them now,
with "user app data" for data)
is a recipe which has worked, time and again.

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 1:15:20 PM7/17/09
Can one find local technicians in most areas,
who know what they are doing,
and can get their hands on the computer?

Remote access is also possible,
but we don't try it from here
(our firewall also discourages it :)

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 1:30:51 PM7/17/09

I considered myself pretty good with XP Pro. But I guess I'm not very
good with understanding Vista. If I could judt find my actual Eudora
data files, I could correct the installation by myself. I don't know
anyone in my area that knows Eudora.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 1:54:02 PM7/17/09

Well, I set Explorer to show all files (including hidden files) and set
Copernic to reindex. Hopefully, that will tell me where my REAL Eudora
data exists on my Vista machine. Thanks for all your help.

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 3:44:57 PM7/17/09
Has anyone looked at the previously posted links?

[Quoting from http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5538 ]

Virtualization Example

For example, take a legacy software application
that attempts to write to a configuration INI file located in:

C:\Program Files\<application>\Setup.ini

Windows Vista automatically detects
that you do not have permission to save to that location.
Windows Vista then copies the file (if it already exists) to:

C:\Users\<your_account>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\<application>\Setup.ini

Windows Vista then allows the write operation to succeed
at the new file in the VirtualStore folder.

Subsequent read and write operations for that file
will always use the file copy located in the VirtualStore folder.

However, the application will continue to believe
that it is accessing the Program Files directory (see Figure 4).

[End of quote]

Can you apply that to "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora"?
Or to "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
or wherever where you actually put your Eudora programs and mail?
("Help" | "About Eudora" normally tells you exactly where)

Here also is a fine program for file searching under Windows:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

HTH

Han

Jul 17, 2009, 4:29:48 PM7/17/09
rmo...@cox.net wrote in news:06d165p2qhmiv8g3c...@4ax.com:

You could use a live Linux distro such as UBUNTU then search your hadr
drive. I think Vista is a nuisance as far as searching for files is
concerned. A live distro would be a file that is distributed as an ISO
image to be burned as such to a DVD. Booting off the DVD will give you
the option to run Ubuntu off the DVD, or installing it in a separate
partition with a multiboot option after that.

--
Best regards
Han

Han

Jul 17, 2009, 4:37:28 PM7/17/09
"John H Meyers" <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote in

Thanks, John!

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 4:42:01 PM7/17/09

Funny you should mention that. I went back and re-read all the
postings to me and saw that instruction. That lead me directly too my
REAL data files. However, any custom mailboxes, etc. are not there.
Only IN, OUT and Trash mailboxes. Also, the Attach folder. I'm not at
that computer right now, but there might be more. However, all my
addresses, filters, etc. are still in the C:\Program Files\Eudora
Folder. Here is what I have now:

E = C:\Program Files\Eudora
V = Virtual Folder as instructed above which has "some" of my data
E2=The setup program for the NEW Eudora 7.1

This is what I think I should do:

Rename C:\Program Files\Eudora to C:\Program Files\EuodraOld
Install E2 into C:\Program Files\Eudora
Look to see where my data files should be by going into About Eudora.
This will probably point to the Virtual Store location which,
now, I know where it is.
At this point, Eudora should work.

However, at what point and where do I overwrite files so that I have my
other data (Attachments, custom mailbaxes, filters, ISP info, etc.)?
Also, why does Vista allow these files and folders to exist in the
Program Files\Eudora directory?

Thanks........

Stan Bischof

Jul 17, 2009, 6:27:14 PM7/17/09
John H Meyers <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

It is hardly rocket science!

(1) Choose a directory somewhere
(2) install Eudora using all the defaults
(3) start Eudora from a shortcut pointing to chosen directory

that's it- ALL Eudora data goes to the chosen directory
for easy backup. portability, etc.

MUCH Better than having data strewn all over the place

Stan

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 6:32:19 PM7/17/09
On 17 Jul 2009 22:27:14 GMT, Stan Bischof
<st...@newserve.worldbadminton.com> wrote:

But this method circumvents Vista's security protocol (which I didn't
know about until now). I used to install Eudora your way but I was
ignorant of the security issue.

Han

Jul 17, 2009, 7:15:51 PM7/17/09
rmo...@cox.net wrote in news:ssu165p43crkbqd7l...@4ax.com:

I think the only "security issue" is that Vista prevents you to install
data directories under the Program Files directory, and that is a good
thing. The other thing is that it prefers to have dedicated data
directories under Users your name.

I have my own data directory on a different partition, because that's
what I have been doing before. The shortcut to my Eudora and mail is:
"C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe" "V:\maildirectory"

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 7:53:31 PM7/17/09

>> But this method circumvents Vista's security protocol (which I didn't
>> know about until now). I used to install Eudora your way but I was
>> ignorant of the security issue.
>>

>I think the only "security issue" is that Vista prevents you to install
>data directories under the Program Files directory, and that is a good
>thing. The other thing is that it prefers to have dedicated data
>directories under Users your name.
>
>I have my own data directory on a different partition, because that's
>what I have been doing before. The shortcut to my Eudora and mail is:
>"C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe" "V:\maildirectory"

Yes, that's what I've been doing with my XP machine because I have two
drives. However, my Vista laptop only has on drive - so I created a
Folder in the root directory called "Data".

Han

Jul 17, 2009, 8:22:39 PM7/17/09
rmo...@cox.net wrote in news:sk3265tbikk276vf2...@4ax.com:

<snip>

> Yes, that's what I've been doing with my XP machine because I have two
> drives. However, my Vista laptop only has on drive - so I created a
> Folder in the root directory called "Data".

I think you should move that directory to the "official" Vista location,
which I believe you also have. Make the Eudora portion of your Data
directory a new subdirectory with a .fol extension "data.fol" or
something. There might already be .fol dircetories there. This will
allow you to see your email boxes that were originally in your C:/data
directory in Eudora, and enable you to move messages from one mailbox to
another.

Backups are your friends!!!!!!

Stan Bischof

Jul 17, 2009, 8:48:33 PM7/17/09
rmo...@cox.net wrote:
>>that's it- ALL Eudora data goes to the chosen directory
>>for easy backup. portability, etc.
>>
>>MUCH Better than having data strewn all over the place
>>
>>Stan
>
> But this method circumvents Vista's security protocol (which I didn't
> know about until now). I used to install Eudora your way but I was
> ignorant of the security issue.

Sorry- but nonsense. It IMPLEMENTS Vista's security protocol
which says that the OS, applications and user space need
to be separate.

Stan

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 8:56:57 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:27:14 -0500, Stan Bischof wrote:

> It is hardly rocket science!
>
> (1) Choose a directory somewhere
> (2) install Eudora using all the defaults
> (3) start Eudora from a shortcut pointing to chosen directory
>
> that's it- ALL Eudora data goes to the chosen directory
> for easy backup. portability, etc.
>
> MUCH Better than having data strewn all over the place

If the program files are not under a Windows area designed for them,
they will be less protected by the current security model.

The very fact of what is happening illustrates that security model.
For example, even if you are running as a computer administrator,
and your application is compromised and attempts to modify program files,
the original files do not get modified.

Similarly, data within one's profile is automatically protected
against being read by other users of the computer (in some cases,
it may even be protected against reading by a computer admininstrator;
an administrator can "take ownership" anyway,
but not without leaving a record that this has been done).

No one is compelled to take advantage of these things,
but it seems to me to be the best general advice,
for those who do not want to bother with understanding more about Windows.

Separation of programs from data (not "all over the place,"
but just two places) is a useful idea. It also minimizes backup
(only user data needs backup, rely on the original installer for program backup),
and makes it very clear which information is user-created,
vs. which comes with the application.

Many users, including me, even have quite a few independent "Data"
folders for totally separate email collections, somewhat akin to
the original independent "Identities" of Outlook Express.

How sensible would it be to have another, completely redundant set
of all the program files, within every one of those separate "Data" folders?

For those who would like the best of both good ideas,
e.g. for Eudora on a USB stick, one can make a single folder,
say "Eudora," then under that one can create two more folders,
"Programs" and "Data" -- the single "Eudora" folder
is then "everything in one place," with the separate
"Programs" and "Data" folders clearly dividing the other files,
between to their respective, fundamentally different purposes.

If you think that's still "all over the place," just take a look
at what's in either your "Programs or "Data" folder anyway
(lots more subfolders!)

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 9:04:16 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:53:31 -0500:

>> I have my own data directory on a different partition, because that's
>> what I have been doing before. The shortcut to my Eudora and mail is:
>> "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe" "V:\maildirectory"

> Yes, that's what I've been doing with my XP machine because I have
> two drives. However, my Vista laptop only has on drive - so I created
> a Folder in the root directory called "Data".

What are its security permissions?

For example, who has read/write permission in it,
or for the files within it?

Compare with permissions within "My Documents," say.

The default "user app data" is also within one's personal private "profile,"
and Eudora even creates an always visible shortcut to that default location,
even if "hidden" files are not being shown.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 9:06:09 PM7/17/09
On 18 Jul 2009 00:48:33 GMT, Stan Bischof
<st...@newserve.worldbadminton.com> wrote:

Sorry - but I misunderstood you post. Please read my post dated today,
69 lines, at 4:42pm. That's where I am right now. It's a little more
complicated because I screwed up when I first installed Eudora (simply
copied the Eudora folder from my XP machine to my new Vista machine.
This is where I need help.

ebloch

Jul 17, 2009, 9:19:27 PM7/17/09
Look at this site for "Find Everything", a very fast, easy to use, and free
search engine:
http://www.voidtools.com/

<rmo...@cox.net> wrote in message

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 9:49:10 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:42:01 -0500:

> I went back and re-read all the postings to me and saw that instruction.
> That lead me directly too my REAL data files.

It always makes me feel better, when eventually
the genuine value of what I've posted is finally appreciated :)

> However, any custom mailboxes, etc. are not there.
> Only IN, OUT and Trash mailboxes. Also, the Attach folder.
> I'm not at that computer right now, but there might be more.
> However, all my addresses, filters, etc.
> are still in the C:\Program Files\Eudora Folder.

Well, just one more reading about how "VirtualStore" works,
slowly enough to digest its meaning, will probably also cause
an appreciation of how well written a referenced article also was :)

Only _modified_ files get copied to VirtualStore -- enough said?

> Here is what I have now:
>
> E = C:\Program Files\Eudora
> V = Virtual Folder as instructed above which has "some" of my data
> E2=The setup program for the NEW Eudora 7.1

> This is what I think I should do:
>
> Rename C:\Program Files\Eudora to C:\Program Files\EuodraOld
> Install E2 into C:\Program Files\Eudora

Fine. Who cares about Qualcomm, anyway? ;-)

However, the installer will also ask you where your mail will go;
DO NOT PROCEED until [re?]reading the following short post:

Summary of moving mail to Vista
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=40803

Important quote from that posting:

Install Eudora 7.1,
====> accept default mail location "user app data" <====

> Look to see where my data files should be by going into About Eudora.

> This will probably point to the Virtual Store location...

It had better not!

> Why does Vista allow these files and folders to exist in the
> Program Files\Eudora directory?

You copied them, didn't you? Probably you had to also tell Vista
that you meant to do that, right, and thus you forced your way
through the security gate, even though Vista warned you.

> At what point and where do I overwrite files so that I have my

> other data (Attachments, custom mailbaxes, filters, ISP info, etc.)?

Isn't this all in that very short post mentioned once again above?

In your case, there is just a simple extra final step,
which would be to copy those additional _newest_ files from your VirtualStore,
where the latest _updates_ have been getting re-directed,
to update your now correctly located "Data" folder
(which would end up in "user app data," right alongside folders of data
for your numerous other Windows-savvy applications).

> At this point, Eudora should work.

God willing :)

Your "Data" folder will have some unused copies of "program" files in it,
because once you mixed all the files together, long ago,
like pouring pepper into the salt shaker,
it would take careful attention to unmix them now;
it is generally not necessary to remove them,
but you can, if you want (just be careful!)

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 9:57:20 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 19:48:33 -0500, Stan Bischof wrote:

> Sorry- but nonsense. It IMPLEMENTS Vista's security protocol
> which says that the OS, applications and user space need
> to be separate.

Yes, all separate.

I misread one thing earlier -- you did not suggest
combining programs and data; oh well, now we all
might even agree, sort of, just like the ever unified Congress :)

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 10:29:26 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:04:16 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:53:31 -0500:
>
>>> I have my own data directory on a different partition, because that's
>>> what I have been doing before. The shortcut to my Eudora and mail is:
>>> "C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe" "V:\maildirectory"
>
>> Yes, that's what I've been doing with my XP machine because I have
>> two drives. However, my Vista laptop only has on drive - so I created
>> a Folder in the root directory called "Data".
>
>What are its security permissions?

Never gave that a thought.

>For example, who has read/write permission in it,
>or for the files within it?
>
>Compare with permissions within "My Documents," say.
>
>The default "user app data" is also within one's personal private "profile,"
>and Eudora even creates an always visible shortcut to that default location,
>even if "hidden" files are not being shown.

I THINK I now understand what you mean.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 17, 2009, 10:32:28 PM7/17/09

John, I still don't understand how to get ALL my data into the user app
data - Eudora folder.

John H Meyers

Jul 17, 2009, 11:35:39 PM7/17/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:32:28 -0500:

> I still don't understand how to get ALL my data
> into the user app data - Eudora folder.

Have you started?

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=40803

If following the links is any obstacle,
let's just keep copying them into new posts here:

Install Eudora 7.1, accept default mail location "user app data"

Start Eudora, skip setup, find out where mail "data" should be
("Help" | "About Eudora" -- click "Data" path to open the folder)

Close Eudora (but leave the "data" folder open).

Copy entire original "mail" folder contents to this "data" folder
(even if copies of some old program files come along for the ride).

[then one more step for you]

Copy later versions of whichever of the "data" files
have since been re-directed to "VirtualStore" folders,
to replace those files which Vista
had refused to allow Eudora to update
when they were located under "Program Files" folders.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 18, 2009, 1:19:24 PM7/18/09

I think that's clear and I understand. Please forgive me - I'm 64
years old and have a chronic head pain issue (nine years now) - so I
have trouble focusing. The only thing I think I don't yet understand
is that there are files and folders in the original "mail" folder that
the user "writes" to (custom mailboxes, filters, ISP settings, etc.).
Why aren't THEY also in the VirtualStore folder? I had always
considered them part of the "data" of Eudora. Thanks.......

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 18, 2009, 2:48:19 PM7/18/09

>Install Eudora 7.1, accept default mail location "user app data"
>
>Start Eudora, skip setup, find out where mail "data" should be
>("Help" | "About Eudora" -- click "Data" path to open the folder)
>
>Close Eudora (but leave the "data" folder open).
>
>Copy entire original "mail" folder contents to this "data" folder
>(even if copies of some old program files come along for the ride).
>
>[then one more step for you]
>
>Copy later versions of whichever of the "data" files
>have since been re-directed to "VirtualStore" folders,
>to replace those files which Vista
>had refused to allow Eudora to update
>when they were located under "Program Files" folders.

John, I'm wondering if I should rename my current C:\Program
Files\Eudora to something else and my VirtualStore Eudora folder to
something else before I install the new version 7.1 (so I don't
inadvertently overwrite any data).

John H Meyers

Jul 18, 2009, 6:32:46 PM7/18/09
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:19:24 -0500:

> The only thing I think I don't yet understand
> is that there are files and folders in the original "mail" folder
> that the user "writes" to (custom mailboxes, filters, ISP settings, etc.)

> Why aren't THEY also in the VirtualStore folder?

Perhaps they haven't been updated since you placed them where they are;
for example, when was the last time you updated/added/deleted any filters?

Files not updated have had no need to re-direct any file writing,
in which case there would be no more recent update re-directed to "VirtualStore"

You should copy all files in all the subdirectories of "VirtualStore"
to corresponding places in your new Eudora "Data" (under "user app data")

If you simply copy the top-level data folder (probably named "Eudora")
in VirtualStore to the corresponding new folder location,
Windows will automatically take care of copying all files and subfolders.

For example, if updates to files in
[path1] "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
had been relocated to
[path2] "C:\Users\<your_account>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eudora"
and if your new Eudora "data" location is
[path3] "C:\Users\<your_account>\AppData\Eudora"
then you would copy the folder at path2 to path3.

Other users should note that the more usual default paths for Eudora
all contain "Qualcomm\Eudora" in place of just "Eudora"

John H Meyers

Jul 18, 2009, 6:42:31 PM7/18/09
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:48:19 -0500:

> I'm wondering if I should rename my current C:\ProgramFiles\Eudora

> to something else and my VirtualStore Eudora folder to something else
> before I install the new version 7.1
> (so I don't inadvertently overwrite any data).

Not necessary.

But the following is necessary:

Important quote from that posting:

Install Eudora 7.1,
====> accept default mail location "user app data" <====

Then:

Start Eudora, skip setup, find out where mail "data" should be
("Help" | "About Eudora" -- click "Data" path to open the folder)

Close Eudora (but leave the "data" folder open).

Copy entire original "mail" folder contents to this "data" folder
(even if copies of some old program files come along for the ride).

[then one more step for you]

Copy later versions of whichever of the "data" files
have since been re-directed to "VirtualStore" folders,
to replace those files which Vista
had refused to allow Eudora to update
when they were located under "Program Files" folders

[as was just detailed in previous post]

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 19, 2009, 2:32:03 PM7/19/09

Having a very bad day with the head pain - so haven't put it all
together yet. Will let you know when I do - I appreciate your patience
with me.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 19, 2009, 8:52:39 PM7/19/09

Oops! I have a virus in my "real" mailbox in the VirtualStore - and I
can't get at it. The AV program won't attempt to fix the problem
because it's a mailbox. The email is from the Bank of America and has
a "spoofing" virus in it. Any suggestions?

Stan Bischof

Jul 19, 2009, 11:54:57 PM7/19/09
rmo...@cox.net wrote:
> Oops! I have a virus in my "real" mailbox in the VirtualStore - and I
> can't get at it. The AV program won't attempt to fix the problem
> because it's a mailbox. The email is from the Bank of America and has
> a "spoofing" virus in it. Any suggestions?

For email programs that save as binary this would be tough to
deal with, but since Eudora saves as plain text this is a
piece of cake. Simply open the offending mailbox with a plain
text editor ( notepad/wordpad/etc but NOT Word or OO ) and
delete the message. Be a little careful with headers, though
the delineation should be pretty obvious. If there's an
attachment involved delete it also.

You might want to make a backup copy of the mailbox before you
edit it if you are uncomfortable with the edit

The power and flexibility of plain text can't be overestimated.

Stan

PS- it is almost 100% certainly NOT from Bank of America.
The header is forged.

John H Meyers

Jul 20, 2009, 11:53:03 AM7/20/09
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:52:39 -0500:

> Oops! I have a virus in my "real" mailbox in the VirtualStore - and I
> can't get at it. The AV program won't attempt to fix the problem
> because it's a mailbox.

AV programs do not know anything about Eudora,
and generally nothing about any email program.

They deal only with scanning whole files,
whatever they may contain; if a file
is considered to contain a threat, however,
then they do "quarantine" the entire file.

> The email is from the Bank of America
> and has a "spoofing" virus in it.

This language does not suggest "virus,"
but sounds more like "phishing,"
which is just a fake email,
inviting one to visit a fake web site,
where, if you attempt to "log in,"
the spoofer will then know your account login info,
and can raid your account and/or "steal your identity."

If it also contained any attachments,
then naturally we do not open them.

> Any suggestions?

Temporarily disable the AV program.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 20, 2009, 2:00:38 PM7/20/09

To John and Stan:

My AV program did not perform any action on my in.mbx file(s). Also, I
searched (through Eudora) and couldn' find any messages that included
the words "Bank of America." I then opened the in.mbx in Virtual Store
in Notebook and used the "Find" to find Bank of America." It found six
instances. If Eudora can't find these emails, should I leave well
enough alone? I really hate to have potential viruses (or connections
to viruses) on my machine. I would like to take all references to the
connections off.

What happens if I turn off my AV program? This, I don't understand.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 20, 2009, 3:00:14 PM7/20/09

This is what my AV reports:

please see attachment

Steve Urbach

Jul 20, 2009, 3:59:54 PM7/20/09

Attachments not allowed in text groups.
Paste the text from the log file if you want us to see it.
(obscure sensitive data, by replacing them with <PLACE HOLDER> values)

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 20, 2009, 5:21:25 PM7/20/09

I wanted to do that - but the text is on another (networked) computer
and I don't know how to do it.

John H Meyers

Jul 20, 2009, 5:50:28 PM7/20/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:00:38 -0500:

You last had said:
"I have a virus in my "real" mailbox in the VirtualStore"

Was this just a piece of information, upon which the AV program
took no action at all, or did it "remove the threat"
by removing the original file from your VirtualStore?

> What happens if I turn off my AV program? This, I don't understand.

If, by any chance, your AV program quarantined (i.e. deleted)
the real (updated) copy of the entire original "In.mbx" in VirtualStore,
then the only way you would be able to put it back and keep it there,
long enough to copy to your new final "In" mailbox,
would be to temporarily turn off the AV program
(and also to restore the file from AV quarantine).

Watch out that all this activity may also have invalidated
the accompanying mailbox index and status file (In.toc),
or you might meanwhile have a new "In.mbx" but an old "In.toc,"
or you might have updated "In.toc" but then it wouldn't match up
with your old "In.mbx"

It may also be the case that an AV program only detected "threats" in
(and perhaps removed) incoming RCV files in a "spool" directory,
in which case no further action would be needed.

> I searched (through Eudora) and couldn't find any messages

> that included the words "Bank of America."

Which instance of Eudora did you use for searching?

If you used a newly moved instance,
no longer trying to use "Program Files,"
which will therefore never again look in VirtualStore,
then it won't be searching anything in VirtualStore,
so naturally it won't find those messages,
until you copy your mailbox(es) from VirtualStore
to your new "data" location.

Also, it is best not to search for too long a string,
while requiring an exact match -- for example, suppose "Bank of"
were on one line, and "America" on the next line?

No line would then contain the complete and exact string
"Bank of America," so you might entirely miss finding it.

A search for the words "bank" and "america"
(two separate match conditions, choosing "match all")
can do a better job in such particular cases, if they ever occur.

> I really hate to have potential viruses
> (or connections to viruses) on my machine.

All that one needs to do is delete fake emails;
throwing away your entire "In" box
will also of course accomplish this,
if you don't mind throwing away the "good" mail too.

John H Meyers

Jul 20, 2009, 5:59:03 PM7/20/09
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:54:57 -0500, Stan Bischof wrote:

> Simply open the offending mailbox with a plain text editor
> ( notepad/wordpad/etc but NOT Word or OO ) and delete the message.

Editing a mailbox MBX file outside of Eudora
will make the corresponding TOC invalid.

Eudora should detect this, and then offer to rebuild the TOC,
next time it opens the mailbox (to which you had better say Yes),
then you will lose some original "status" info that the TOC keeps track of.

It is therefore often better to use Eudora to delete specific messages,
which keeps the MBX and TOC files in sync, except in cases where
some corruption has occured in an MBX file (such as where the
"marker line" separating messages no longer starts at column 1,
causing a previous message to "swallow up" a subsequent message,
or other more serious mangling of the mailbox file).

Steve Urbach

Jul 20, 2009, 6:16:24 PM7/20/09

The tried and true "sneaker net" (floppy or USB pen drive).
Copy, the, paste into a new text document, then sneaker it over to the other
system.

Will assume there are no "shared folders" to save the log to :/

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 20, 2009, 7:00:34 PM7/20/09

I wish I had the time to answer your questions but I have to leave for
a couple of days to take care of my grandson. Following is the
relevant part of the AV report. It may answer your questions:

C:\Program Files\Eudora\In.mbx
[0] Archive type: Eudora Mailbox
[WARNING] This file is a mailbox. To avoid damaging your emails
this file will not be repaired or deleted.
--> Mailbox_[Subject: Bank Of America Alert: Update Account
Informati][From: Bank Of America Alert
<servic...@alert.banko][Message-ID:
<E1J8mtN-...@sm014.omega47.com>]9950.mim
[1] Archive type: MIME
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Spoofing.Gen
HTML script virus
--> file0.html
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the
HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus
C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eudora\In.mbx
[0] Archive type: Eudora Mailbox
[WARNING] This file is a mailbox. To avoid damaging your emails
this file will not be repaired or deleted.
--> Mailbox_[Subject: Bank Of America Alert: Update Account
Informati][From: Bank Of America Alert
<servic...@alert.banko][Message-ID:
<E1J8mtN-...@sm014.omega47.com>]9950.mim
[1] Archive type: MIME
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Spoofing.Gen
HTML script virus
--> file0.html
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the
HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus
C:\Users\Carol\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eudora\In.mbx
[0] Archive type: Eudora Mailbox
[WARNING] This file is a mailbox. To avoid damaging your emails
this file will not be repaired or deleted.
--> Mailbox_[Subject: Bank Of America Alert: Update Account
Informati][From: Bank Of America Alert
<servic...@alert.banko][Message-ID:
<E1J8mtN-...@sm014.omega47.com>]9950.mim
[1] Archive type: MIME
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Spoofing.Gen
HTML script virus
--> file0.html
[DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the
HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus

I have taken no action on this report.

To open the mailboxes, I double clicked on in.mbx in both the Program
Files\Eudora folder and the in.mbx in the VirtualStore - and couldn't
find the emails refernced above.

Talk in a couple of days. Thanks.......

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 20, 2009, 7:01:38 PM7/20/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:16:24 -0700, Steve Urbach
<drago...@NOTmindspring.com> wrote:

OK, did that and posted it in my previous thread.

John H Meyers

Jul 20, 2009, 7:06:18 PM7/20/09
How to post images or other files:

o Upload to a free hosting service

o Include URL in post

http://imageshack.us/

http://www.filefactory.com/

No registration is required at either of above.

Steve Urbach

Jul 20, 2009, 7:51:07 PM7/20/09

There is a possibility that Eudora Junked it after the A/V scan as all
messages pass through the In box.
Or you may have a Filter set if your bank is really BofA to route the message
to another box.

A Phish is mainly dangerous *if* you go to the site and enter info on the fake
forms.

John H Meyers

Jul 20, 2009, 7:54:26 PM7/20/09
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:00:34 -0500:

> Following is the relevant part of the AV report...

Note that the "Message-ID:" is identical for all reports,
so it is the same single original message in each case.

You might actually have deleted that message already,
since "deleted" messages are simply removed from the mailbox TOC,
and will never again be found by searches within Eudora,
but are not purged from the mailbox MBX file
until the next time that the mailbox is "compacted."

It's very nice of the AV program to recognize Eudora mailboxes,
and not delete them entirely, just because of one single item within them.

I would simply proceed with the procedure for consolidating all your mail
in your final "data" folder (which should be NEITHER under "Program Files"
NOR under "VirtualStore")

If any messages are later found which have the stated "Subject,"
then delete them; otherwise forget this -- the messages must have been
already "deleted" from the mailbox index(es), and will then totally vanish
after the next time the mailbox is compacted.

However, I see yet another complication below -- are both "Bob" and "Carol"
using Eudora, with all mail still stored in "Program Files,"
but each doing this after logging into the computer
using their own different, personal Windows accounts?

In such a case, each user could have his/her own DIFFERENT VERSION
of "In.mbx" within their own PERSONAL "VirtualStore" folders,
because Windows would have independently re-directed
the originally common "In.mbx" under "Program Files"
INDEPENDENTLY to EACH user's own separate "VirtualStore,"
at different times, and thus with different content!

Not only that, but the idea of using "user app data" for Eudora mail
pre-supposes that each user has a DIFFERENT, PERSONAL mail setup,
and will not want to use the same setup as any other user.

IF Bob and Carol want to continue using one COMMON Eudora mail setup,
even though they each login as DIFFERENT Windows users,
then you might want to keep the Eudora "data" folder somewhere ELSE,
e.g. in "C:\Eudora\Data" and have BOTH of you use that SAME mail "data" folder.

However, each of you still has some set of PERSONAL VERSIONS
of some of the Eudora mailboxes, in his/her own separate VirtualStore folders.

Even my own head is starting to develop painful cracks, as I bang it into the wall
over all the endless new directions to this thread, but what can one do,
if the entire picture of what's going on at that end
takes so long to be completely revealed?

To accommodate possibly different versions of each person's In.mbx,
from their own independent VirtualStore folders,
one could create two more mail folders (actual Windows folders)
within any final common "data" folder:

BobVirtual.fol - mailbox files (MBX and TOC) from Bob's VirtualStore
CarolVirtual.fol - mailbox files (MBX and TOC) from Carol's VirtualStore

Then sort out the mess after finally getting Eudora running,
wherever it should be, with a "data" folder that is NOT
under "Program Files," so that no more files will ever be re-directed
to any "VirtualStore" folders.

> [Report #1 - the ORIGNAL "In" mailbox, within "Program Files"]

> C:\Program Files\Eudora\In.mbx
> [0] Archive type: Eudora Mailbox
> [WARNING] This file is a mailbox. To avoid damaging your emails
> this file will not be repaired or deleted.
> --> Mailbox_[Subject: Bank Of America Alert: Update Account
> Informati][From: Bank Of America Alert
> <servic...@alert.banko][Message-ID:
> <E1J8mtN-...@sm014.omega47.com>]9950.mim
> [1] Archive type: MIME
> [DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Spoofing.Gen
> HTML script virus
> --> file0.html
> [DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the
> HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus

> [Report #2 - Bob's PRIVATE RE-DIRECTED COPY of the original "In" mailbox]

> C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eudora\In.mbx
> [0] Archive type: Eudora Mailbox
> [WARNING] This file is a mailbox. To avoid damaging your emails
> this file will not be repaired or deleted.
> --> Mailbox_[Subject: Bank Of America Alert: Update Account
> Informati][From: Bank Of America Alert
> <servic...@alert.banko][Message-ID:
> <E1J8mtN-...@sm014.omega47.com>]9950.mim
> [1] Archive type: MIME
> [DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Spoofing.Gen
> HTML script virus
> --> file0.html
> [DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the
> HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus

> [Report #3 - Carol's PRIVATE RE-DIRECTED COPY of the original "In" mailbox]

> C:\Users\Carol\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Eudora\In.mbx
> [0] Archive type: Eudora Mailbox
> [WARNING] This file is a mailbox. To avoid damaging your emails
> this file will not be repaired or deleted.
> --> Mailbox_[Subject: Bank Of America Alert: Update Account
> Informati][From: Bank Of America Alert
> <servic...@alert.banko][Message-ID:
> <E1J8mtN-...@sm014.omega47.com>]9950.mim
> [1] Archive type: MIME
> [DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the HTML/Spoofing.Gen
> HTML script virus
> --> file0.html
> [DETECTION] Contains recognition pattern of the
> HTML/Spoofing.Gen HTML script virus

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 22, 2009, 8:27:30 PM7/22/09

Guess I just realized that I had Bob/Carol in Eudora. I don't plan to
share a mailbox with my wife - all I want to do for now is have HER
mail in this copy of Eudora. How do I determine which in.mbx and other
mailboxes and settings are only hers - and how do I get rid of the Bob
data? Thank you.....

John H Meyers

Jul 23, 2009, 2:22:44 PM7/23/09
On Wed, 22 Jul 2009 19:27:30 -0500:

> Guess I just realized that I had Bob/Carol in Eudora. I don't plan to
> share a mailbox with my wife - all I want to do for now is have HER
> mail in this copy of Eudora. How do I determine which in.mbx and other
> mailboxes and settings are only hers - and how do I get rid of the Bob
> data?

I would do what I said in my last preceding post.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 23, 2009, 8:28:06 PM7/23/09

URGENT>>>>>>>

I just took the first step in fixing Eudora by compacting my mailboxes.
Unfortunately, I lost the last two month's worth of emails. Is there
any way to un-compact the mailboxes and retrieve my emails? System
Restore won't work and I don't have a backup system in place yet.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 23, 2009, 10:49:05 PM7/23/09
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:35:39 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 21:32:28 -0500:
>
>> I still don't understand how to get ALL my data
>> into the user app data - Eudora folder.
>
>Have you started?
>
>http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=40803
>
>If following the links is any obstacle,
>let's just keep copying them into new posts here:

>Install Eudora 7.1, accept default mail location "user app data"
>
>Start Eudora, skip setup, find out where mail "data" should be
>("Help" | "About Eudora" -- click "Data" path to open the folder)
>
>Close Eudora (but leave the "data" folder open).

So far, I understand.

>Copy entire original "mail" folder contents to this "data" folder
>(even if copies of some old program files come along for the ride).

I believe you mean C:\Program Files\Eudora

>[then one more step for you]
>
>Copy later versions of whichever of the "data" files
>have since been re-directed to "VirtualStore" folders,
>to replace those files which Vista
>had refused to allow Eudora to update
>when they were located under "Program Files" folders.

I'm not sure which files you mean. Whether or not I can un-compact my
mailboxes and retrieve my lost emails, I don't want to compound my
problems by copying files and overwriting the wrong thing. Do you mean
all the files and folders in the VirtualStore?

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2009, 5:24:09 PM7/24/09
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:28:06 -0500:

> I just took the first step in fixing Eudora by compacting my mailboxes.
> Unfortunately, I lost the last two month's worth of emails.

Even after sorting on the "Date" column?

> Is there any way to un-compact the mailboxes and retrieve my emails?

Probably not, but you could try making a duplicate copy
of only the MBX file of a mailbox file pair;
Eudora, when next started, will then build a TOC for that copy,
and you can see whether it's in any better shape than the original.

To copy a file, using Windows Explorer,
select the file, then on the keyboard
do Ctrl+C [copy]
then Ctrl+V [paste]

The copy will usually be automatically named
"Copy of [original file name and extension]"

> System Restore won't work and I don't have a backup system in place yet.

That's unfortunate.

Last chance:

STOP all use of Eudora immediately, then read and follow:

"How can I backup and restore my In and Out mailboxes"
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2651hq.html

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2009, 5:50:44 PM7/24/09
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:49:05 -0500:

>> Start Eudora, skip setup, find out where mail "data" should be
>> ("Help" | "About Eudora" -- click "Data" path to open the folder)
>> Close Eudora (but leave the "data" folder open).

> So far, I understand.

>> Copy entire original "mail" folder contents to this "data" folder
>> (even if copies of some old program files come along for the ride).

> I believe you mean C:\Program Files\Eudora

I meant, copy FROM wherever your mail "data" folder ORIGINALLY was,
TO wherever you will finally put it, but the latter location
must NOT be under "C:\Program Files" (because Vista re-directs
everything which applications attempt to store or update in that area,
which is how all your problems arose in the first place).

You last said, if I understood correctly,
that you had already copied everything from "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
to "C:\Eudora" -- in that case, don't bother with any more of the above,
but just use "C:\Eudora" for both programs and data -- this is not
quite as secure, but it is simpler for you,
which seems to be what is most needed.

>> [then one more step for you]
>> Copy later versions of whichever of the "data" files
>> have since been re-directed to "VirtualStore" folders,
>> to replace those files which Vista
>> had refused to allow Eudora to update
>> when they were located under "Program Files" folders.

> I'm not sure which files you mean. Whether or not I can un-compact my
> mailboxes and retrieve my lost emails, I don't want to compound my
> problems by copying files and overwriting the wrong thing.
> Do you mean all the files and folders in the VirtualStore?

Already answered in:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/0f90acde86b183d5

Note that no "overwriting" was suggested in that post; rather,
it was suggested that you copy some re-directed files to NEW folders,
under "C:\Eudora" if you decide to use that place, with new folder names
such as "BobVirtual.fol" and "CarolVirtual.fol" -- Eudora
will automatically recognize these as new mailbox folders,
containing new mailboxes that you will have copied into them --
which may, in fact, recover some of your lost mail
(just don't start compacting these :)

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2009, 5:55:47 PM7/24/09
On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:28:06 -0500:

> I just took the first step in fixing Eudora by compacting my mailboxes.
> Unfortunately, I lost the last two month's worth of emails.

Another thought:

You already seem to have copied everything to C:\Eudora, didn't you?

By now, you may have many copies of every mailbox,
and you couldn't have lost all the copies at the same time, could you?

Why not make backups of all the different setups that you still have,
and sort out which ones are still good?

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 5:59:02 PM7/24/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:24:09 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:28:06 -0500:
>
>> I just took the first step in fixing Eudora by compacting my mailboxes.
>> Unfortunately, I lost the last two month's worth of emails.

Glad to hear from you. I was afraid you had abandoned me because of
all the trouble you have gone to already.

>Even after sorting on the "Date" column?

Yes.

>> Is there any way to un-compact the mailboxes and retrieve my emails?
>
>Probably not, but you could try making a duplicate copy
>of only the MBX file of a mailbox file pair;

What is a mailbox file pair?

>Eudora, when next started, will then build a TOC for that copy,
>and you can see whether it's in any better shape than the original.
>
>To copy a file, using Windows Explorer,
>select the file, then on the keyboard
>do Ctrl+C [copy]
>then Ctrl+V [paste]
>
>The copy will usually be automatically named
>"Copy of [original file name and extension]"
>
>> System Restore won't work and I don't have a backup system in place yet.
>
>That's unfortunate.
>
>Last chance:
>
>STOP all use of Eudora immediately, then read and follow:
>
>"How can I backup and restore my In and Out mailboxes"
>http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2651hq.html

Sure wish you would let me call you. We could probably straighten this
thing out in short order. If you agree, the mailbox listed is
legitimate.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 6:05:25 PM7/24/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:50:44 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 21:49:05 -0500:
>
>>> Start Eudora, skip setup, find out where mail "data" should be
>>> ("Help" | "About Eudora" -- click "Data" path to open the folder)
>>> Close Eudora (but leave the "data" folder open).
>
>> So far, I understand.
>
>>> Copy entire original "mail" folder contents to this "data" folder
>>> (even if copies of some old program files come along for the ride).
>
>> I believe you mean C:\Program Files\Eudora
>
>I meant, copy FROM wherever your mail "data" folder ORIGINALLY was,
>TO wherever you will finally put it, but the latter location
>must NOT be under "C:\Program Files" (because Vista re-directs
>everything which applications attempt to store or update in that area,
>which is how all your problems arose in the first place).
>
>You last said, if I understood correctly,
>that you had already copied everything from "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
>to "C:\Eudora" -- in that case, don't bother with any more of the above,
>but just use "C:\Eudora" for both programs and data -- this is not
>quite as secure, but it is simpler for you,
>which seems to be what is most needed.

No, I haven't done anything yet except compact my mailboxes (big
mistake). I want to be absolutely sure of what I am moving and copying
before I start - and, as my latest postings show, I am NOT sure of this
yet.

>>> [then one more step for you]
>>> Copy later versions of whichever of the "data" files
>>> have since been re-directed to "VirtualStore" folders,
>>> to replace those files which Vista
>>> had refused to allow Eudora to update
>>> when they were located under "Program Files" folders.
>
>> I'm not sure which files you mean. Whether or not I can un-compact my
>> mailboxes and retrieve my lost emails, I don't want to compound my
>> problems by copying files and overwriting the wrong thing.
>> Do you mean all the files and folders in the VirtualStore?
>
>Already answered in:
>http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/0f90acde86b183d5
>
>Note that no "overwriting" was suggested in that post; rather,
>it was suggested that you copy some re-directed files to NEW folders,
>under "C:\Eudora" if you decide to use that place, with new folder names
>such as "BobVirtual.fol" and "CarolVirtual.fol" -- Eudora
>will automatically recognize these as new mailbox folders,
>containing new mailboxes that you will have copied into them --
>which may, in fact, recover some of your lost mail
>(just don't start compacting these :)

I'm sorry - but I don't understand this at all. I assure you that,
even though I'm not nearly as versed in PC's as you are, I have always
been able to zip around folders and files with no problem. Eudora just
has me vexed.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 6:21:01 PM7/24/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:55:47 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:28:06 -0500:
>
>> I just took the first step in fixing Eudora by compacting my mailboxes.
>> Unfortunately, I lost the last two month's worth of emails.
>
>Another thought:
>
>You already seem to have copied everything to C:\Eudora, didn't you?

No.

>By now, you may have many copies of every mailbox,
>and you couldn't have lost all the copies at the same time, could you?
>
>Why not make backups of all the different setups that you still have,
>and sort out which ones are still good?

I'll look but I have my doubts if I have one mailbox that has all my
(wife's) emails in it.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 6:57:33 PM7/24/09

Eureka!!! I found one copy of In.mbx1 in the VirtualStore that seems
to have all the email - including the ones I can't get at through
Eudora. It seems that when I compacted my mailboxes, Eudora created
this "backup" called In.mbx. Now what?

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2009, 7:17:50 PM7/24/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:59:02 -0500:

> What is a mailbox file pair?

In.mbx (mail) and In.toc (index and status info)

Out.mbx and Out.toc

Other.mbx and Other.toc

Etc.

Mailbox windows (summarizing all messages) in Eudora
get all their info from the TOC file,
while message content (when opened or previewed)
comes from the corresponding MBX file.

Always keep these file pairs together;
i.e. copy, move, or rename both files of every pair,
except in a special case such as described in a previous post,
where we suggested to leave an original mailbox alone,
but to make a copy of its MBX file and let Eudora make a new TOC for the copy,
just to see whether any "lost" mail can be recovered.

The number of messages and the total disk space for each mailbox
is shown in a bar at lower left of each mailbox summary window.

Built-in mailboxes (In/Out/Trash/Junk) should be kept small,
by creating user-named mailboxes and transferring older mail to them,
because the TOCs of built-in mailboxes are in memory (RAM) all the time,
which can lead to crashes or data loss if too large -- especially
when compacting mailboxes, for example.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 7:53:22 PM7/24/09

OK, understood. I backed up my In.mbx1 and Out.mbx1 and copied them on
the Desktop for safekeeping. Then I renamed the damaged counterpart
mailboxes and renamed the In.mbx1 to In.mbx and Out.mbx1 to Out.mbx.
Reopened Eudora and, as you said, Eudora rebuilt the TOC files. Now
Eudora is back to where I was a couple of days ago. I still need to
install Eudora 7.1 next. Then, I'm not clear on which old files I copy
and where to. I'm getting there with your help.

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2009, 7:58:42 PM7/24/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:57:33 -0500:

> Eureka!!! I found one copy of In.mbx1 in the VirtualStore that seems
> to have all the email - including the ones I can't get at through
> Eudora. It seems that when I compacted my mailboxes, Eudora created
> this "backup" called In.mbx. Now what?

You didn't type the exact file name above, did you?
That's why I have difficulty understanding what you may mean.

You seem to be describing either the original re-direction of In.mbx
(and In.toc) from "C:\Program Files\Eudora" to a corresponding location
in your "Virtual Store" (both Bob's and Carol's),
or else what is covered in the tech note mentioned below
(with apologies to lurkers for repeating it so many times :)

If you mean the original In.mbx (not any "001" or "002" version),
then copy like this example:

Virtual Store Copy to NEW data folder (e.g. "C:\Eudora")
------------- -----------------------

Bob's In.mbx InBob.mbx
Bob's In.toc InBob.toc

Carol's In.mbx InCarol.mbx
Carol's In.toc InCarol.toc

Etc. (also the "Out" mailbox, and any others you find)

There may well be some mail that is ONLY in Bob's virtual store,
or ONLY in Carol's, so if you copy from both places,
and compare what you find, after collecting it all on one final place,
you will eventually be able to collect and recover everything.

If you mean files with names ending in ".001" or ".002" then see:

"How can I backup and restore my In and Out mailboxes"
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2651hq.html

"Compacting" the "Out" (or "In") mailbox is what causes the current mailbox
to be saved as version 001, and the previous 001 to be renamed 002, e.g.:

Out.mbx -> Out.mbx.001 -> Out.mbx.002
-and correspondingly-
Out.toc -> Out.toc.001 -> Out.toc.002

Note that every MBX must remain paired with its corresponding TOC,
or else more data will be lost.

Compacting also occurs automatically,
when the percentage of inactive file space in the MBX file
reaches a threshold (usually 50%)

One can increase (or decrease) the number of backup levels
via adjusting: <X-Eudora-Option:InOutBackups>
[Alt+click on that, in any message displayed in Eudora]

Before attempting recovery,
you might want to preserve a backup of those "recovery" files,
because every subsequent "compact" operation
is going to change, replace, or finally delete them!

During recovery,
note that you must rename each pair of MBX and TOC files together,
e.g.

in.toc.001 -> in001.toc
in.mbx.001 -> in001.mbx

in.toc.002 -> in002.toc
in.mbx.002 -> in002.mbx

When you next open Eudora, you will find new mailboxes named
"in001" (most recent backup) and "in002" (earlier backup),
from which you may recover some of the lost messages
(possibly all messages as of the time when each backup was saved).

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 7:58:30 PM7/24/09

In other words, I have retrieved all my wife's emails. Now, I'm going
to install Eudora 7.1 but won't go any further than that until I
understand which data files to copy, in which order, and where. This
is where I'm not clear.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 8:02:58 PM7/24/09

I haven't done anything to the "Bob" mailboxes in VirtualStore because
I never plan to use them. I use Eudora 7.1 on my own PC.

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2009, 8:24:59 PM7/24/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:53:22 -0500:

> I backed up my In.mbx1 and Out.mbx1

Do you mean In.mbx.001 and Out.mbx.001 ?

What about In.toc.001 and Out.toc.001 ?

> and copied them on the Desktop for safekeeping.
> Then I renamed the damaged counterpart mailboxes
> and renamed the In.mbx1 to In.mbx and Out.mbx1 to Out.mbx.

> Reopened Eudora and, as you said, Eudora rebuilt the TOC files.

I did not say to have Eudora rebuild the TOC files!
(except in one very special case, for "Copy of In.mbx")

If you rush ahead without digesting what is said,
and ignore the half dozen times (at least)
that I've said to keep MBX and TOC files always PAIRED,
either copying, moving, or renaming them in PAIRS,
then you will end up with a rebuilt TOC,
instead of the original, losing some useful information
(and perhaps getting duplicates etc.) -- or, at worst,
you may end up with some TOC that does not match its MBX,
in which case you might not even recover your original mail.

If you do still have your original mail content,
then at least the worst case did not happen.

> Now Eudora is back to where I was a couple of days ago. I still need to
> install Eudora 7.1 next. Then, I'm not clear on which old files I copy
> and where to.

I've suggested (how many times?) copying the entire "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
to "C:\Eudora"; then add the recovered "mbx" and "toc" PAIRS
which you found in both Bob and Carol's separate VirtualStore locations
(rename them, in PAIRS, if necessary, to avoid duplicate file names)

If you have not in fact actually ever started using "C:\Eudora"
then what have you been using all this while?

If you are still using the original "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
then Vista is no doubt continuing to re-direct all new files and updates
right back to those same VirtualStore folders,
which may not yet be accomplishing anything.

As to "installing Eudora 7.1," you must already have done that,
because version 5.1 would not have made backups "001" and "002"
of "In" and "Out" -- or did that never actually happen?

For an extra measure of redundant over-redoing,
you could even install 7.1 (again?) to "C:\Eudora"
(with mail in the SAME folder) immediately AFTER
completing copying all of "C:\Program Files\Eudora" to "C:\Eudora"

Then, never again use "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
(renaming that folder to "C:\Program Files\Eudora.OLD"
might be a way to avoid accidental re-use).

Good luck!

John H Meyers

Jul 24, 2009, 8:38:54 PM7/24/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 19:02:58 -0500:

> I haven't done anything to the "Bob" mailboxes in VirtualStore
> because I never plan to use them.

You already did "use" them; otherwise they would not have been written
(by Vista) into (Bob's) VirtualStore area,
which occurs only when those files are _updated_ by Bob.

If you did even one "check mail"
(even if only automatically, when starting Eudora)
and received any new mail,
and are not "leaving mail on the POP server,"
then you may have the only copy of that mail.

If you find only a file In.toc without a matching In.mbx, however,
then no mail has been received -- TOC files are re-written
even if you only view a mailbox, without changing any content;
in this case the MBX file remains unmodified.

Since your AV program detected malware in a copied MBX file,
however, this can't be the case -- you (logging into Windows as Bob)
must have updated both the TOC and MBX files for mailbox "In,"
even if only accidentally.

If one or two messages were received and are never recovered,
then perhaps it's not worth bothering about -- except for me,
since I want to supply all the relevant info,
for anyone else who ever gets onto the same boat :)

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 11:03:41 PM7/24/09

I can't ever remember logging in as "Bob." When I use that PC, I'm
logged in as Carol. It's late here so I'll check the "Bob" In.mbx in
the morning to see its's contents. If there's something wrong, I want
to fix it if I can.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 24, 2009, 11:09:02 PM7/24/09

I'll try to digest this is the morning. I know you've repeated
yourself many times and I'm sorry I'm not getting it. It's partly
because of the pain in my head and partly because, working with so many
posts, I get confused. I'll respond to the two latest posts from you
tomorrow. Thanks, John.

John H Meyers

Jul 25, 2009, 12:01:50 AM7/25/09
Well, I have been inconsistent -- started out with my "usual"
recommendation (to do what Windows expects and all other apps do,
which is most secure), then tried changing to "simplest"
(move programs+data together, to "C:\Eudora"
even though that's less secure and not ideal, in theory).

Meanwhile, Vista has still re-directed updated files
into both "Bob" and "Carol" login profiles, under "VirtualStore" folders,
so there's no escaping the need to chase after those files,
and re-unite them with the originals,
somwehere that's not under "Program Files"
(hence your suggestion to use "C:\Eudora"
seems the simplest way to get the job done).

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 25, 2009, 11:22:11 AM7/25/09

Good morning!! I hope THIS posting makes the rest of this process
simple: In.mbx and In.toc in Carol's VirtualStore\Eudora folder SHOULD
now be in-sync (paired) since Eudora rebuilt the TOC file. The missing
emails are now in Eudora. I guess Eudora was smart enough to set up
files under the user Bob (me) since I also have a login on that machine
- which I never use. I always login as Carol. I have not touched
anything in the VirtualStore under the user Bob (yet).

This morning, I copied onto the Desktop:

1. The folder called "Eudora" from the VirtualStore (Carol's).
2. The folder called "Eudora" in C:\Program Files\.

I don't have a C:\Eudora.
I also created a Restore Point.

I think I'm ready to install Eudora 7.1 (I'm assuming it will install
in C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora and do the same in Carol's
VirtualStore - thereby not overwriting anything. Even if it does, I
have the copies 1. and 2. as shown above.

If you agree, I'll go ahead and install 7.1 and look to see where it
put my data files (probably userappdata). I won't attempt to make any
settings in this copy of Eudora - then I'll report back to you.

The next steps should be to copy my settings (1. and 2.) somewhere in
the new Eudora and I'm not sure what to copy and where and in what
order - but I'll wait until I report back to you and tell you what I
have. For now, I don't intend on using Eudora on that (Vista) machine
ever. I have my own XP Pro machine with Eudora. Unfortuately, I think
all my data and settings are in C:\Program Files\Eudora - and now that
I understand that they should be in userappdata for security purposes,
that will come after we fix my wife's machine.

So, if you agree that I should install 7.1, let me know and I'll go
ahead. Thanks John.

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 25, 2009, 11:26:34 AM7/25/09
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 19:24:59 -0500, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:53:22 -0500:
>
>> I backed up my In.mbx1 and Out.mbx1
>
>Do you mean In.mbx.001 and Out.mbx.001 ?
>
>What about In.toc.001 and Out.toc.001 ?
>
>> and copied them on the Desktop for safekeeping.
>> Then I renamed the damaged counterpart mailboxes
>> and renamed the In.mbx1 to In.mbx and Out.mbx1 to Out.mbx.
>
>> Reopened Eudora and, as you said, Eudora rebuilt the TOC files.
>
>I did not say to have Eudora rebuild the TOC files!
>(except in one very special case, for "Copy of In.mbx")
>
>If you rush ahead without digesting what is said,
>and ignore the half dozen times (at least)
>that I've said to keep MBX and TOC files always PAIRED,
>either copying, moving, or renaming them in PAIRS,
>then you will end up with a rebuilt TOC,
>instead of the original, losing some useful information
>(and perhaps getting duplicates etc.) -- or, at worst,
>you may end up with some TOC that does not match its MBX,
>in which case you might not even recover your original mail.
>
>If you do still have your original mail content,
>then at least the worst case did not happen.

Right!

>> Now Eudora is back to where I was a couple of days ago. I still need to
>> install Eudora 7.1 next. Then, I'm not clear on which old files I copy
>> and where to.
>
>I've suggested (how many times?) copying the entire "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
>to "C:\Eudora"; then add the recovered "mbx" and "toc" PAIRS
>which you found in both Bob and Carol's separate VirtualStore locations
>(rename them, in PAIRS, if necessary, to avoid duplicate file names)
>
>If you have not in fact actually ever started using "C:\Eudora"
>then what have you been using all this while?

C:\Program Files\Eudora

>If you are still using the original "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
>then Vista is no doubt continuing to re-direct all new files and updates
>right back to those same VirtualStore folders,
>which may not yet be accomplishing anything.
>
>As to "installing Eudora 7.1," you must already have done that,
>because version 5.1 would not have made backups "001" and "002"
>of "In" and "Out" -- or did that never actually happen?

No, haven't installed 7.1 yet. Maybe Eudora 5.1 is smarter than we
think.

>For an extra measure of redundant over-redoing,
>you could even install 7.1 (again?) to "C:\Eudora"
>(with mail in the SAME folder) immediately AFTER
>completing copying all of "C:\Program Files\Eudora" to "C:\Eudora"
>
>Then, never again use "C:\Program Files\Eudora"
>(renaming that folder to "C:\Program Files\Eudora.OLD"
>might be a way to avoid accidental re-use).

Please see my latest post.

>Good luck!

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 26, 2009, 10:21:13 PM7/26/09

The good news is I got my Backup working. The bad news is that I can't
back up C:\Users\Carol............VirtualStore\Program
Files\Eudora\files and probably some other folders because access is
denied. How can my backup program gain access to those folders and
files? Thanks.........

John H Meyers

Jul 27, 2009, 6:20:06 PM7/27/09
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 21:21:13 -0500:

> The good news is I got my Backup working.
> The bad news is that I can't
> back up C:\Users\Carol............VirtualStore\Program
> Files\Eudora\files and probably some other folders
> because access is denied. How can my backup program
> gain access to those folders and files?

It sounds as if you could use help, for this Windows issue,
as well as for anything about Eudora,
from a local computer technician,
or perhaps from a student at a nearby school,
who may be looking for some extra odd jobs this summer.

John H Meyers

Jul 27, 2009, 6:20:26 PM7/27/09
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:22:11 -0500:

> Carol's VirtualStore\Eudora folder...

> The missing emails are now in Eudora.
> I guess Eudora was smart enough to set up
> files under the user Bob (me) since I also have a login on that machine
> - which I never use. I always login as Carol. I have not touched
> anything in the VirtualStore under the user Bob (yet).

It seems I can't convince you that Windows would never have
re-directed Eudora files to Bob's VirtualStore
unless Bob had logged in and used Eudora
(even if by automatically starting up upon login).

But it's a good idea not to do this any more,
if you don't want any more confusion.

> I don't have a C:\Eudora.

> I think I'm ready to install Eudora 7.1 (I'm assuming it will install

> in C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora and do the same in Carol's
> VirtualStore

It seems I can't make any useful suggestion,
as even the simplest one yet (last one posted)
is not clear enough, and it was the best I could do.

I have just gone back to your very first posting,
and here's what I see:

> I have Eudora 5.1 on my XP machine
> and simply copied C:\Program Files\Eudora from that machine
> to my new Vista machine. That was two months ago or so
> and Eudora has been working.

If it's been working, why not just leave it alone?

John H Meyers

Jul 28, 2009, 9:28:23 AM7/28/09
On Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:22:11 -0500:

> I think I'm ready to install Eudora 7.1 (I'm assuming it will install

> in C:\Program Files\Qualcomm\Eudora and do the same in Carol's VirtualStore

I think that this might compound your problems,
the reason being that, if I understood correctly,
your current Eudora program files (and mail)
are NOT at that path you just named above,
so if you headed that way, where would you tell the 7.1 installer
to expect your mail to be located?

A wrong guess at this point could result in scattering updated files
into even more VirtualStore locations than before.

If you desire to update the version of Eudora,
without changing any locations where anything is,
install it over exactly the same path where it's been to date,
and tell it that the mail also remains at exactly the same path
as it has been to date. At least this won't make anything worse.

If you desire to escape from Vista always sending new or updated files
to VirtualStore folders, you would have to get the mail and settings
out from under the "Program Files" area. If we elevate simplicity
to the highest value, and forego the more complex perfection in security,
dragging the current combined programs+data folder
(in your words: The folder called "Eudora" in C:\Program Files\ )
to the root of the C: drive, to become "C:\Eudora"
would seem to be a very simple single step.

To finish off the task, also copy updated mailboxes (and their indexes)
from the VirtualStore area into the new C:\Eudora folder,
OR create a new folder named "Updated.fol" _under_ C:\Eudora,
and copy the updated "Virtual" files into the initially empty "Updated.fol"
to avoid having to rename any of the files to avoid name collisions.

Has anyone got some better or simpler thoughts?

Do contribute them while I go take some aspirin :)

rmo...@cox.net

Jul 28, 2009, 12:55:36 PM7/28/09

Guess I'm stubborn and want to do the right thing (as you first
suggested). That is, put my data in the Virtual Store location (or
where ever the new installation of Eudora 7.1 tells me to put it). So,
I installed 7.1 and copied what was in the VirtualStore location into
where the new installation told me to put the data. Everything seems
to be working fine (so far). I also got my backup working on the Vista
machine (it copies ALL files). So, if I have a problem, I can always
problem, I will start a new thread. I thank you for all your help and
patience.

One question: when should I compact my mailboxes?

John H Meyers

Jul 28, 2009, 4:43:04 PM7/28/09
On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 11:55:36 -0500:

> Guess I'm stubborn and want to do the right thing (as you first
> suggested). That is, put my data in the Virtual Store location
> (or where ever the new installation of Eudora 7.1 tells me to put it).

We never put anything in VirtualStore ourselves --
that's a place where only Windows automatically redirects file writes
that any application tries to save under "Program Files"

The application itself has no idea that "VirtualStore" folders exist;
it thinks that it is writing to "Program Files,"
but Windows is intercepting and writing somewhere else.

As to Eudora telling us where to put anything,
we actually always tell Eudora where to put things;
even when installing, we tell Eudora where to put the Program Files
(even if we accept a suggestion from the installer),
and likewise we choose where the mail and settings should be
(or accept a suggestion) -- however, when we subsequently
start Eudora, we can find out the actual location
which the choice of "user app data" goes to under Windows --
this is not a constant for all users, but varies
according to which user account logs into the computer,
as well as varying between different versions of Windows itself.

> So, I installed 7.1 and copied what was in the VirtualStore location into
> where the new installation told me to put the data. Everything seems
> to be working fine (so far). I also got my backup working on the Vista
> machine (it copies ALL files).

Congratulations!

> One question: when should I compact my mailboxes?

I seem to recall that something untoward happened once before,
so perhaps never do it :)

Eudora will automatically compact a mailbox anyway, if,
upon closing the mailbox, it contains more than 50% wasted space,
still occupied by messages which have since been deleted from
the mailbox index (TOC file), including deleted older message versions
which have since been updated by editing, which effectively
appends a new version to the end of the MBX file, updating the TOC
to ignore the former version and point to the new version instead.

As you can imagine, deleting or rebuilding any TOC may thus "resurrect"
all previously deleted or obsoleted versions of messages,
since the last time that the mailbox has been compacted.